Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

Posted (edited)

How to run your own marathon (sensibly) if your event is cancelled

(extracted info - https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a31333532/run-your-own-marathon-coronavirus/)

runnersworld.com-How-to-run-your-own-mar

runnersworld.com-How-to-run-your-own-mar

What to do when your next race might be cancelled

(info - https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/a31264825/race-day-cancelled/)

runnersworld.com-What-to-do-when-your-ne

runnersworld.com-What-to-do-when-your-ne

Our Local Marathoner, Soh Rui Yong's sharing of Special Project to keep himself "fit as a marathoner Champion" during the Covid-19 Outbreak...

facebook.com-project659-page-001.md.jpg

Perhaps, you would like to share on your How to run your own marathon (sensibly) if/when your event is cancelled/postponed 😷

Edited by kohpapa

34 minutes ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Another one postponed. Will Income Eco Run next?

actually, will 2xu Compression Run 2020 also be postponed again next? 😗

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Sianz... Spartan Sprint Spore postponed. I think joining events this year will be challenging. 

SPARTAN.jpg

Thank you @SG RED DEVIL

Spartan Race Singapore postponed

facebook.com-Spartan-Race-SingaporeSport

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Another one postponed. Will Income Eco Run next?

I say >90% cancelled.

In fact, I think at this point in time, given the current trajectory, it is safe to just assume that NO RACE will be organised until the COVID-19 situation stabilised. 

2020 will probably go down in history as the 'forgotten year' in sports. A lot of sports league/season/championship will probably have to be abandoned, including the Big One - Tokyo Olympics. 

Edited by lonewolf

Posted (edited)
On 1/31/2020 at 11:14 PM, kohpapa said:

In the past like SARS, the World Health Organisation declares officially the start and the end (free) of outbreak. However, Singapore continued monitoring till SARS is eradicated. 1 March >> 30 May >> 16 July 2003. 

(info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_Singapore)

sars1.jpg

sars2.jpg

Taking SARS as past scenario, 15 March, SARS was coined by the WHO.  In this case, COVID-19 was coined by WHO on 11 February.

30 May, Singapore was officially declared SARS-free by WHO (2.5 months). If the COVID-19 were to have behaved like SARS,  Mid-April till Early May should have been "Covid-19 Free".

Agreed, no new Event or Race will be announced going forward for 2020 until WHO announcement  of Singapore is Covid-19 Free. Adding 1.5 months of "surely, double confirm and thriple confirm" from local authority...that will take us to June or July for any kind of new "Race" announcement.

In the meantime, uncle got this article to keep all Sgrunners  to boost your immune system during COVID-19...

How to boost your immune system during COVID-19

(info - https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/how-to-boost-your-immune-system-during-coronavirus-covid-19-12528894)

cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com-How-to-

Be strong, with "active" running program, "social distancing", awaiting for new Race announcement...2nd Half of 2020.

Edited by kohpapa

Personally,  I think the endless fixation and comparison with SARS is tiresome and unnecessary.

Sure, they belong to the same virus family but their characteristics are so different that I think it's unhelpful to use the SARS experience as a gauge and make all sort of predictions and assumptions based on that. 

I am not saying that our experience with SARS is totally useless because we did learn a lot of lessons from that. And the isolation, quarantine and contact tracing are clearly helpful in containing the spread. 

What am I saying is that just because SARS was eradicated within roughly 4.5 months, the assumption seems to be this will also be the case for COVID-19. Or that with the onset of summer, the virus will go away (just like the H1N1 outbreak)

The truth is no one knows when the virus will be eradicated. Based on what is happening, it's more likely that what PM and some of our ministers have been saying is probably going to come to pass - that COVID-19 outbreak will continue for a year or longer. 

Posted (edited)

Covid-19, btw is SARS-CoV2....another Coronavirus.....

Well then let us not speculate how COVID-19  of when or how it is going to end...only time will tell and only with only WHO global official announcement...Global Covid-19 Free .

Taking as H1N1 or SARS (or mixed them up) case scenario, President Trump said this Covid-19 will pass or go away in April (to calm the American Public as well as to the World). Even the experts are skeptical among themselves. 

Trump believes coronavirus will vanish with April temps — experts are skeptical warm weather alone is enough

(info - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-believes-coronavirus-will-vanish-with-april-temps-experts-are-skeptical-warm-weather-alone-is-enough-2020-03-12)

marketwatch.com-Trump-believes-coronavir

marketwatch.com-Trump-believes-coronavir

factcheck.org-Trumps-H1N1-Swine-Flu-Pand

it's more likely that what PM and some of our ministers have been saying is probably going to come to pass - that COVID-19 outbreak will continue for a year or longerThe quote was for the reason for assessing why General Election should be held during or even if COVID-19 outbreak should continue for a year or longer, with reference with the H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic.

Date of general election will depend on what will best see Singapore through Covid-19 situation, says PM Lee

(info extracted - https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/date-of-general-election-will-depend-on-what-will-best-see-singapore-through-covid-19)

straitstimes.com-Date-of-general-electio

straitstimes.com-Date-of-general-electio

Trump’s H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic Spin

(info extracted from https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/)

Comparison with H1N1 Swine Flu Pandemic

factcheck.org-Trumps-H1N1-Swine-Flu-Pand

Agreed, if taking H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic scenario, COVID-19 outbreak could continue for a year or longer...

h1n1.jpg

Today, H1N1 flu has become more than the yearly seasonal flu.

Well, let us not endless fixation on what PM and some of our ministers say also😷They are politicians, right,  just like President Trump, not WHO.

Latest: Covid-19 is not the flu. It’s worse.

(info extract - https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2020/3/13/21176735/covid-19-coronavirus-worse-than-flu-comparison)

vox.com-Covid-19-is-not-the-flu-Its-wors

Well, how long will COVID-19 end ? No idea 😷

Edited by kohpapa

3 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I say >90% cancelled.

In fact, I think at this point in time, given the current trajectory, it is safe to just assume that NO RACE will be organised until the COVID-19 situation stabilised. 

2020 will probably go down in history as the 'forgotten year' in sports. A lot of sports league/season/championship will probably have to be abandoned, including the Big One - Tokyo Olympics. 

Agree with you based on current situation & the way things are going. Definitely create chaos for me to achieve Spartan Trifecta this year. Plus 2nd half of the run events that i'm interested in whether to sign or not...

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Agree with you based on current situation & the way things are going. Definitely create chaos for me to achieve Spartan Trifecta this year. Plus 2nd half of the run events that i'm interested in whether to sign or not...

Offical announcement will be better. Cancel or Postpone. Please make sure what is what ok? 2020 Safari Zoo Run (Last Edition) was "Postponed" to 2nd half of 2020 and not "Cancel" hor..

Even if 2nd half of the run events are to be announced in the near or distant future, some are already shouting OMG! no refund! no signup! hor

Edited by kohpapa

Comparison with H1N1 is just as meaningless! <_<

1 hour ago, kohpapa said:

Offical announcement will be better. Cancel or Postpone. Please make sure what is what ok? 2020 Safari Zoo Run (Last Edition) was "Postponed" to 2nd half of 2020 and not "Cancel" hor..

Even if 2nd half of the run events are to be announced in the near or distant future, some are already shouting OMG! no refund! no signup! hor

Agree! 

Even if any brave race organiser goes ahead and announce races for the 2nd half eg. RAC, CSC Run by the Bay and Real Run, how many of us would really sign up given the uncertainty and fluidity of the situation.

I think they would all be put on hold and not be held at all this year. 

Posted (edited)

Well, if the Covid-19 extends its stay for a year and more...  Road to Marathon 2020 -  Run Virtually...Medal Galore...Finisher Tees...WMM style touring and more...Awesome Running Journey!

(info extracted - https://marathons.spacebib.com/)

marathons.spacebib.com-World-Cities-Onli

😷 otherwise be one of The Soaper 5

posters-final-120220_1230-page-006.jpg

Together We Keep Singapore Strong.

Uncle would like to end this final post, and with great thanks for all especially to @lonewolf  for creating this forum thread for those who are affected with timely updates and finally have arrived to the destination of running journey of1st half of 2020 with cancellations and postponement of races that were signed up since 2019 and recently in early 2020...

Podcast-Quote-394.jpg

Be strong and stay "active" in running, and "social distancing" .

Please continue to express your feelings and what plans you intend to do in this forum thread on how the impact of cancellations or postponement affected you.

Remain social responsible when if should you be contacted with others who had been tested postively with Covid-19, go for testing for the sake of self, family and the community.

Follow the National Guidelines on the necessary Precautionary Measures to contain the spread of Covid-19. Outcome of testing, hopefully that it will be negative.

Repeated tests for assurance if needed. Everyday, imported or close contacts, we will never know. Simply we just don't know much about Covid-19.

anti.md.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

5 hours ago, kohpapa said:

I believe you have misunderstood what i'm saying. No doubt 2020 Safari Zoo was postponed but i'm not talking about this at all.

This COVID-19 has created chaos  that affected my event Spartan Sprint which was postponed with no date. I'm also not sure if i should register for Spartan Super in Aug & Beast in Nov (to achieve Trifecta) based on current situation. 2nd half year run events i'm referring to ie. TransSingapore, CSC Bay Run etc should i register to take advantage of early bird rate or pay more for late registration?

Situation does not look bright for this year which i agree with lonewolf. So i'm also adopting wait & see attitude at the moment. Delay my decision to register as long as possible. Cheers.

On 3/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, kohpapa said:

actually, will 2xu Compression Run 2020 also be postponed again next? 😗

2xu compression  run has been postponed to 31st May...

12 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I say >90% cancelled.

I would think sure postpone or cancel as more and more cases occurring in Sg by the day and I believe they have to make the decision soon, maybe 1mth to the race.

This is a useful site to watch the countries:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The lock downs in different countries has caused a slow down in economic growth. A global recession could be happening soon.

Airlines, restaurants, cafes, hotels, event organisers and anything touristy are struggling thus any businesses connected with those businesses will also be struggling. More concerning is to ensure the elderly are not isolated and to help each other thru this economic time. More companies are learning to cope with the social distancing by allowing more workers to remote in.... hopefully this will be normalised and we learn to use technology to meet rather fly to meetings. 

On the positive side China's air has cleared due to a reduction in manufacturing and reduced travel, Northern Italy's pollution levels are  down as well due to their lock down.....other European countries are following suit to lock down so expect further levels of global pollution to reduce plus the amount of waste will be reduced from events and if more runners try out virtual marathon running - then they all at least learn to BYO.... :) Then no big deal if asked to at any event :D

Also Dutch scientists have discovered the antibodies to the coronavirus and maybe have a cure. Still needs months of testing.

https://www.thepatent.news/2020/03/15/coronavirus-holland-cure-antibody/

In the Netherlands, a team of researchers at the University of Utrecht has identified an antibody that will allow the development of a cure for the Coronavirus in a short time.

Good news from the Netherlands. A team of researchers from the Universities of Utrecht and Rotterdam has identified an antibody that will allow the development of an effective cure for the Coronavirus in a relatively short time. The particle is called 47D11 and is a monoclonal antibody capable of recognizing the spike protein that the virus uses to attack the cells of the human respiratory system and propagate in the body. The researchers explained that spikes function as “tiny picks” that allow Covid-19 to unhinge the entrance doors of human respiratory system cells to penetrate them and multiply. Inhibiting these proteins means disarming the virus: and this is the “task” of the antibody discovered in Holland. This is the most effective treatment system, after the vaccine, to contain the Coronavirus.

You may also be interested in -> Coronavirus, stress and panic lower the immune system.

Coronavirus, from Holland the cure thanks to an antibody

Dutch researchers – coordinated by the Chinese Chunyan Wang – have discovered that the 47D11 molecule binds to the Spike protein and prevents it from “locking in” other cells. In this way, the antibody prevents the coronavirus from penetrating inside the cells and multiplying. For this reason, researchers in Utrecht are convinced that a cure based on this antibody has important potential “for the treatment and prevention of Covid-19”. The Dutch team’s research has been published in the BioRxiv database. The researchers presented the results of the first tests conducted in the laboratory and made it clear that the antibody must undergo a long testing phase before it can be used to create a cure for millions of people. It will take months, in short, before the drug is actually available.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, lonewolf said:

I say >90% cancelled.

I think all races should be cancelled/postponed for the time being😅

Remembering the lessons of history: 
https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

It wasn't a race event, but look at the picture! Conditions look similar to what happens at any major race:

"In 1918, the city of Philadelphia threw a parade that killed thousands of people. Ignoring warnings of influenza among soldiers preparing for World War I, the march to support the war effort drew 200,000 people who crammed together to watch the procession. Three days later every bed in Philadelphia's 31 hospitals was filled with sick and dying patients, infected by the Spanish Flu." 

Edited by RaijinFJ

12 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

This COVID-19 has created chaos  that affected my event Spartan Sprint which was postponed with no date. I'm also not sure if i should register for Spartan Super in Aug & Beast in Nov (to achieve Trifecta) based on current situation. 2nd half year run events i'm referring to ie. TransSingapore, CSC Bay Run etc should i register to take advantage of early bird rate or pay more for late registration?

Situation does not look bright for this year which i agree with lonewolf. So i'm also adopting wait & see attitude at the moment. Delay my decision to register as long as possible. Cheers.

Yes. I wouldn't bother signing up for any races at the moment until the situation stabilised. 

9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

2xu compression  run has been postponed to 31st May...

I think uncle means whether the 2xu race will be postponed further from its rescheduled date of  31 May race (which is why he used the word 'again') 

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

On the positive side China's air has cleared due to a reduction in manufacturing and reduced travel, Northern Italy's pollution levels are  down as well due to their lock down.....other European countries are following suit to lock down so expect further levels of global pollution to reduce plus the amount of waste will be reduced from events and if more runners try out virtual marathon running - then they all at least learn to BYO.... :) Then no big deal if asked to at any event :D

Respectfully, I dun think the issue of climate change and its environmental impact is high on anyone's agenda right now. But of cos, the corollary impact from all the reduced economic activities is undoubtedly positive for the environment. 

A lot of event and race organiser will definitely also be impacted and many will go bust. We will also see fewer races in the coming years which means less rubbish, water wastage and all the environmental impact from organising large scale events. 

But remember that what goes around comes around. The age of activism is a luxury that is necessarily afforded by the economic activities in the first place.  When you are cold and starving, your priorities tend to be different. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 6:36 AM, Lady Ice said:

Yes. Think of this as a good moment to pause and reflect I guess. Kind of a "reset & restart" phase for the whole world. We've lost a lot a trees from the fires in South America and Australia. Perhaps... it may allow the Earth to recover a bit.

We humans have become so arrogant. There's this collective thought that we are the masters of this planet... then this tiny virus brings even our most powerful countries and economies to a grinding halt. 😅 

Anyone remember H.G Wells' book "War of the Worlds"? Just when the humans were on the verge of defeat from the alien's advanced technology and heat rays, the latter were wiped out by microorganisms on Earth since they had no immunity to them. 🤭

One good thing about being a runner? We can all just run on our own for the time being until this blows over. Its a lot cheaper too!

Edited by RaijinFJ