Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

Reaction (extracted) from Participants @ Tokyo Marathon Foundation FB on the Cancellation of Tokyo Marathon 2020

Feedback.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

If a race is cancelled, should there be a refund?

Local Races

No.jpg

Overseas Races (example - Toyko Marathon)

No2.jpg

Seoul Marathon (awarded World Athletics Road Race Platinum Label)

(info - http://www.seoul-marathon.com/eng/sub1_1.php)

Yes.jpg

Given advanced notice all participants on the deadline on the cancellation request for a refund:

seoul.jpg

Insurance as recommended according to World Athletics Labels - Regulation 2020WA1427242aa9ec2b31.jpg

Runners of cancelled Tokyo Marathon question why they should re-pay entry fee

(info - https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a30965124/runners-cancelled-tokyo-marathon/)

runnersworld.com-Runners-of-cancelled-To

runnersworld.com-Runners-of-cancelled-To

Edited by kohpapa
revised

Well, it costs money even to start organizing and planning the race (permits, suppliers etc.)

Of course, I would be very unhappy not to get my hard earned money back, since it would be the same as paying for something you did not get, but I think it would be unduly difficult (excessive losses) on the part of race organizers to refund all the fees. That is of course, for circumstances beyond their control (acts of god, force majeure and outbreak of disease, etc.)

If they have to cancel a race due to their own fault or negligence well, I that would be a different matter though.

Even if they had cancellation insurance, I'm not sure most insurance would cover something like this (outbreak & epidemics). I think that would fall under "correlated risks" in insurance, which most insurers would exclude since something of that nature would be sure to send most insurance companies into bankruptcy.

-Just my thoughts on the matter. 😅

Edited by RaijinFJ

1 hour ago, RaijinFJ said:

Well, it costs money even to start organizing and planning the race (permits, suppliers etc.)

Of course, I would be very unhappy not to get my hard earned money back, since it would be the same as paying for something you did not get, but I think it would be unduly difficult (excessive losses) on the part of race organizers to refund all the fees. That is of course, for circumstances beyond their control (acts of god, force majeure and outbreak of disease, etc.)

If they have to cancel a race due to their own fault or negligence well, I that would be a different matter though.

Even if they had cancellation insurance, I'm not sure most insurance would cover something like this (outbreak & epidemics). I think that would fall under "correlated risks" in insurance, which most insurers would exclude since something of that nature would be sure to send most insurance companies into bankruptcy.

-Just my thoughts on the matter. 😅

Welcome @RaijinFJ, great to have your post and gave personal thoughts on the matter.

Currently, whoever signed up for any race months ago, they will never foresee that it will be "cancelled" or "postponed" due to "could be" an environmental reason like in the past, we had HAZE in the region. This time, it was a virus outbreak (regionally and now going global). At Hongkong, there were races that were cancelled due to Social/Political unrests. Of course, Hong Kong Marathon was cancelled due to COVID-19.

Many of us who signed up for races, do we really read the Rules & Regulations? Well, if events are what we say always good and nothing will go wrong (except the weather), we will pay with our hard-earned money. For overseas races, transportation, lodging, as well as travelling insurance. Time spent before, during and after the race is Money spent. Participants also used the opportunity to travel for leisure while overseas.

Yes, races are cancelled, so is there Refund?. NO. Please read the Rules & Regulations. If races are postponed, then would you ask for Refund because it is no fault of the participant and because the future is full of uncertainty. NO. Please read the Rules & Regulations.  

However, Seoul Marathon 2020 has a Refund policy, and the deadline is explicitly communicated. Yes, 3rd party minimum insurance is covered only  "during the run event" not before or after.

Runner's learning experience:  participating in any race is just like a business transaction - you Pay on the Agreement to the Race Rules & Regulations (commerical we call that SLA or Service Level Agreement). No Refund once you have Paid even though the Service of Delivery (Racing experience) is not delivered to you in the future due to unforseen circumstances through acts of god, force majeure and outbreak of disease, etc. If you don't Pay, then don't Race, then you can save your hard-earned money for something better.

The reality check for all runners when sign up for race - Read carefully Rules & Regulations, Communication with emails by Organisers or SMSes in the event of Circumstances. Refund? Did you read the Rules & Regulations?

Edited by kohpapa

I agree with you there. Who would have known something like this could happen?

Especially for those who managed to get a slot in a race like the Tokyo Marathon and pay the expensive fee... I feel their pain and know what it's like. Back in 2012, I was supposed to run the New York Marathon. Everything was going well but they cancelled it because of Hurricane Sandy. 😭 Then the following year I had nagging injuries so I've never been back.

Ah, but life goes on! I'll stop running when I'm dead! 😜

Understood that your participating events are WMM Majors. You need all 6 to complete your DREAM of completing all WMM Majors.

Thanks for your sharing. life goes on. 

By the way, both China and Singapore are hoping to be the venue for the Wonder 7 of WMM Majors. Nobody will want to offer the challenge to enter both China and Singapore for the simply reason - COVID-19. Nobody would want to offer their lives in exchange for contacting COVID-19 for the sake of racing. 😬

I'll stop running when I'm dead! Hope you stay strong and actively alive. You can race in the future with the announcement of COVID-19 FREE only declared by WHO.

Edited by kohpapa

I don't think I can afford to do all six. (It's going to be too expensive!)

Perhaps Tokyo and New York (maybe I'll get a chance again someday) might be possible for me, and since I'm slow... I'll qualify for Boston when I'm eighty years old (I hope I can still run by then!) Perhaps in wheelchair category hahaha 🤣

Ah, it's good to dream! 🤩

South Korea reports second COVID-19 death, 142 new cases 

(info -https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/south-korea-covid-19-virus-coronavirus-new-cases-feb-22-12459916)

channelnewsasia.com-South-Korea-reports-

Seoul Marathon 2020 - Refund Notice (worst case scenario)

(info - http://www.seoul-marathon.com/index.php)

seoul-marathon.com-2020-page-001.jpg

refund0c87d0adef4fbcf3.jpg

Previously:

refund.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

North Korea to cancel April Marathon

(info -https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02/21/world/asia/21reuters-china-health-northkorea-marathon.html)

nytimes.com-North-Korea-to-Cancel-April-

Second death in Italy from COVID-19

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid19-second-death-italy-coronavirus-12460876)

channelnewsasia.com-Second-death-in-Ital

races.jpg

Will the Boston Marathon be cancelled next?

(info - https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a30977772/boston-marathon-coronoavirus/

runnersworld.com-Will-the-Boston-Maratho

runnersworld.com-Will-the-Boston-Maratho

Edited by kohpapa

races.jpg

Milano City Marathon (Italy) Sunday 5 April 2020

(extract from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milano_City_Marathon)

The Milano City Marathon is a marathon race held every April in Milan, Italy. It was first organised in 2000 by the Milano City Marathon Club and the first nine editions were held in November.

About Milano Marathon 

(extracted info -https://www.generalimilanomarathon.it/en/the-marathon/)

generalimilanomarathon.it-MARATHON-page-

Refund Application Form

docs.google.com-GENERALI-MILANO-MARATHON

Padova Marathon (Italy) Sunday 19 April 2020

(FAQ extract from http://www.padovamarathon.com/en/faq/)

padovamarathon.com-FAQ-page-001.jpg

padovamarathon.com-FAQ-page-002.jpg

padovamarathon.com-FAQ-page-003.jpg

Update : Italy PM announces halt to entry and exit from COVID-19 hotspots

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/italy-pm-announces-halt-to-entry-and-exit-from-covid-19-hotspots-12461774)

channelnewsasia.com-Italy-PM-announces-h

Edited by kohpapa

Mayor says coronavirus should not affect Boston Marathon

(info extracted: mybestruns.com)

mybestruns.com-Mayor-says-coronavirus-sh

The Boston Marathon has never been canceled or postponed in its 122-year history, although it was stopped in 2013 after two bombs were detonated near the finish. 

The Boston Marathon had never been canceled or postponed, even by snow squalls in 1925, 1961, and 1967, sleet in 1907, or 100-degree heat in 1905.

Edited by kohpapa

Update: Seoul Marathon 2020 (Apply for a refund)

seoul1.jpg

Reaction from the Participants

seoul2.jpg

Note: there will be an official announcement regarding if the marathon will be cancelled, postponed or modified.

Edited by kohpapa

We have seen how different each organiser manages cancellation (due to COVID-19):

• Hong Kong Marathon - refund and defer to 2021
  • Tokyo Marathon - no refund but defer to 2021
  • Seoul Marathon - refund but no deferment
  • Nagoya women's marathon - none of the above but virtual marathon.

My personal opinion of the best option is deferment of race slot to next year.

Virtual marathon also sounds like a bad idea..... those who needs logistic support must be self sufficient... but I guess its still better than no refunds at all...

I see yh90 in the comments... Guess he got a Seoul Marathon slot?

DORSCON level could be lowered if COVID-19 spreads widely worldwide: Gan Kim Yong

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/dorscon-level-covid19-transmits-worldwide-coronavirus-12469484)

channelnewsasia.com-DORSCON-level-could-

1. What if the DORSCON Orange is drop back to yellow

The following is extracted from MOH website: https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/risk-assessment-raised-to-dorscon-orange

moh.gov.sg-Risk-assessment-raised-to-DOR

moh.gov.sg-Risk-assessment-raised-to-DOR

Measures such as temperature screenings at events will no longer be mandatory or enforced, would you still take part in the race?

2. Metasprint Series - the only Local Race that has not cancelled any of their races and has followed the MOH advisory guidelines during DORSCON Orange 

metasprintseries.com-Covid-19-update-pag

Do you agree and support that Race should not be cancelled "in an open space, you won't catch the virus from a passing person"?

Edited by kohpapa

18 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Do you agree and support that Race should not be cancelled "in an open space, you won't catch the virus from a passing person"?

Personally, yes. It is better to be safe than sorry. Runs can always be completed again once this thing is over.

That said, understand people are very upset at the cancellations as they have trained hard for the runs.