lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

In any case, at least Singapore is procuring vaccines from countries who are transparent with their data. While I agree there's some risk (as with all vaccines), at least you and your doctor can make an informed decision for yourselves based on the best knowledge that the doctors. scientists and researchers of these manufacturers are aware of.

As for us over here, if we (ever) do get a vaccine, it seems we'll be forced* to accept one from shady manufacturers that have repeatedly withheld, or distorted their third stage clinical trial data.

I know COVID's (practically) non existent there in Singapore, so it doesn't seem that urgent, but as far as a decent vaccine for this plague is concerned, I think you guys should consider yourself fortunate. I'm certain a lot of people elsewhere would gladly get in line in your place there if Singaporeans don't want it.  😇

*it's an open secret here that they've already bought off the major decision makers in that aspect.

On that note, I do agree that I feel fortunate that our government is able to make swift decisions to procure vaccines and we are now ahead of other countries to get ourselves vaccinated. The frontliners are now getting vaccination first, and I believe a more widespread public education of vaccination should kick in soon to inform the public on the pros and risks so that we can make our own informed decision.

Regarding the Olympics on the other thread, I guess Japan is in a difficult position as they have already committed massively (financially especially) on it and this will amass to a sizeable economic loss for them if they can't eventually hold it. So it is a must go for them to cut their losses, even if it means less tourism dollars from those who are here to support the event.

Edited by beast

I hope that would be the way to go for international marathons, even after this pandemic.

To allow people from other countries who couldn't get a spot at the actual race to also take part virtually.

Not only will it bring more money for the organizers, but it will also allow more runners to feel some form of participation to the race, though it is just running in their own backyard.

Yes, the world has changed. Not permanently of course, as this is actually nothing new. Throughout history, man has had to cope with some form of pestilence (from leprosy, the black plague, smallpox, tuberculosis, influenza... ) but our ancestors have survived. Their descendants (that's us) now number almost 8 billion on this planet.

It's just our generation's turn now to step up to the plate and rise to the challenges of this day and age. 

The way things are going though, it appears we're going to have prepare ourselves to fight this long haul. Oh boy... what we wished would be a speedy 5k, is now a full blown marathon 😅 hopefully, it doesn't turn into an ultra...

Edited by RaijinFJ

Prepare yourselves for the long haul. Those countries that have small cases of Covid19 will need to continue with a strategy to stem new variants entering the country. So if you travel out of Singapore, might find that you will be forced to take a covid test before travel and also a certain period of quarantine even after being vaccinated. You will also still need to maintain social distancing, masks and wash your hands as the vaccine is not 100% proof.

The world has been forced to do things differently and if human societies are unable to step up well then....

Edited by Lady Ice

Long haul is right... Given the current situation, even with countries ramping up vaccination, I don't think any runs will open up to international participants this year, so no more overseas runs till next year, and that's hoping for the best. 

I just wish that by December we can look forward to SCSM being able to conduct a mass run of some sort and we can re-live the experience of attending and completing a run as a community.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, Lady Ice said:

The world has been forced to do things differently and if human societies are unable to step up well then....

The world is practically... at war.

I know that may sound a bit "over the top" for you guys there in SG, but even with just 257+ active cases, a strong government (relatively) free of corruption, and the financial capability to vaccinate the entire 5.5M+ population, the economic impact of this pandemic is devastating (just like during the great world wars). I'm pretty sure you guys feel the pinch there too.

It may not be as bad even over here (our active caseload is actually lower than that of Malaysia) and certainly much less than in Europe and the Americas (North and South) but my main point is, we are all interconnected in our suffering. We are all taking a hit one way or another, and the enemy... is not only stubborn, but seems to be getting stronger😯

I keep remembering the alien autopsy scene in the movie Independence Day. When they try to reason with the alien and ask "What is it you want us to do?" The alien, speaking as a collective, gives a one word reply: "DIE..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlawibQ_QKI    (push the video to 0:29 to go direct to what I'm saying)

Edited by RaijinFJ
On 1/24/2021 at 6:34 AM, Lady Ice said:

the vaccine is not 100% proof.

Yes.

Some experts say that their best bet with these first generation vaccines is that while they may not stop you from getting sick, or infecting others, it will at least reduce its lethality, and possibly help you avoid the long term effects of getting an infection (myocarditis, etc.).

If getting vaccinated means turning a (potentially) lethal "viral pneumonia" into something like just a bad cold, then I'd say its worth a shot (no pun intended).

And since you may still be infectious, and can cause the death of someone (elderly, with health problems, etc.) who isn't vaccinated, one must still wear a mask and maintain social distancing.

Edited by RaijinFJ

It is interesting to observe:

1. The virus is more lethal in Western Countries / Europe than in Asian countries. What are the factors that are defining this? 

Sunlight? Activity levels? Diet?

2. To break transmission the entire world population needs to be vaccinated at the same time. As this will not be the case, then will need to topped up each year. This is an interesting article on the vaccination: https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-vaccine-europe-hit-commission-target-rollout-5-times-faster/?fbclid=IwAR3ZDktWDKgS098QJfCBYG5ZRTkc-mR-Rs-wnYdQKzaadSdBqJSwBmK3PMI

No photo description available.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:12 AM, Lady Ice said:

It is interesting to observe:

1. The virus is more lethal in Western Countries / Europe than in Asian countries. What are the factors that are defining this? 

I don't know. Perhaps living in the "poorer" regions of the world makes people tougher because we're inured to hardship! LOL 🤣🤣🤣

Now don't take that statement too seriously folks, its just dark humor. 😜

Edited by RaijinFJ

The virus is more lethal in Western Countries / Europe than in Asian countries. What are the factors that are defining this? 

different strategy from the different regions of the world...

that is, hoping on herd immunity via mass infection in mostly Western Countries/Europe...free with no obligation and not mandatory to wear masks...

vs Asian countries herd immunity via mass vaccination...and the mandatory to wear masks....

border containment..with the new COVID variant spreads even rapidly...making many parts of the world deciding to close their borders once again...is now the new "normal" in 2021...

vaccination...nobody knows yet the side-effects...and will the vaccine be able to handle the new COVID variant?

channelnewsasia.com-Countries-tighten-bo

I don't know. Perhaps living in the "poorer" regions of the world makes people tougher because we're inured to hardship! LOL

it may take longer for developing countries to achieve herd immunity because higher vaccination rates would be required...

To break transmission the entire world population needs to be vaccinated at the same time. As this will not be the case, then will need to topped up each year. 

reuters.com-Germany-is-already-ordering-

reuters.com-Germany-is-already-ordering-

expect another year of Covid-19 of mass vaccination...2022 and beyond...😷

Edited by kohpapa
On 1/31/2021 at 11:46 AM, kohpapa said:

it may take longer for developing countries to achieve herd immunity because higher vaccination rates would be required...

The ratio of the population that needs to be vaccinated to induce herd immunity, actually depends on how contagious the pathogen is (it varies depending on the disease) Therefore you wouldn't need to have a higher vaccination rate in a developing country than in a developed country. You just have to induce immunity in the right number of people in a given commuity to halt transmission. At present though, nobody knows yet what percentage this would be for COVID-19, compared to other better known diseases.

I know folks here may be just being politically correct, but allow me to say here what most people are actually thinking, but are too polite to say outright:

It may take longer for a developing country to acheive herd immunity, because it may lack the financial resources to buy, or produce enough vaccines to innoculate enough of its population. In plain words, it's simply too poor...

I know, we're Asians here, and in our shared culture, its not nice to make people 'lose face' or talk about unpleasant topics, but sweeping such things under the rug pretending it doesn't exist won't help. You have to openly talk about such things (with tact of course, and not in a condescending manner) so help or a solution can be found. 

On 1/31/2021 at 11:46 AM, kohpapa said:

To break transmission the entire world population needs to be vaccinated at the same time.

As I said, we are all interconnected. If one country is at risk, ALL are at risk. Why? because as long as the virus is circulating somewhere, it can mutate (and continue to mutate) into a more contagious or virulent form that may even render persons already immune to the original virus (whether by natural infection or vaccination) vulnerable again. That new strain will become the dominant strain and we will ALL find ourselves back at square one (January 2020).

No country can keep its borders closed indefinitely (unless perhaps, it's North of the 38th parallel).

I think a lot of people seems to have a misconception of what a vaccine is. 

A vaccine is not a panacea that will magically immune you from catching the disease. And whether it reduces the transmissibility if you have the virus is still largely unknown. 

A vaccine teaches you body to produce the anti-bodies to fight the virus if you catch it. So that you have a better chance of fighting the virus if you get it.

So while more people getting vaccinated means less people will get sick, it does not means that all the safe distancing measures, the contact tracing etc can just stop. And we can go back to life pre-COVID.

The ST has a nice graphics that indicated it can take 7 years for the world to achieve herd immunity.

image.thumb.png.25948b34f6d4fd3c1792a38023db5ff3.png

Edited by lonewolf