lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

yes, it has been a quieter Year in 2020, without Mass Run Races, and there is no announcement for Races (Run in place) for 2021, so expect that the First Half of 2021...new Race Normals of the present are expected:

Challenges - lots of them...Multiple Sessions and complete. Expect an event to start 2021 with Very Shiok Lah! 2021 KM Challenge [365 days]. Just do at least 5km per day from Day 1 of 2021 to Day 365 of 2021.

Virtual Race - 1 Session of 24-hour. Most of Marathon and WMM races fall into this category.

Ekiden - Team of 6. Group of Friends [sign-in with Apps] and compete with Apps Members who are Ekiden"ed" in 6.

AR - Future?

Are you looking forward to 2021? Or would you still want to return to the Past (Pre Covid-19), status of Mass Running? As long as there is no Vaccine for ALL, better to continue and enjoy Challenges, Virtual Race, Ekiden and AR...

Edited by kohpapa

figuratively speaking lah...relaz bro

but if this one is offered to you...will you be interested...

run7fab1c8aa27f53e1.jpg

honestly, what we discuss here is "if" you have taken part in Challenges...Virtual Races...Ekiden...AR...in 2020...are you happier that you are still actively running and keeping fit and strong...

let's put into perspective of your own personal experiences...

like SCSM Virtual Race (Grand Finale)...are you participating? Virtual Race or Challenges?

Shiok! 200 KM Virtual Challenge....will you be participating?

uncle already completed SCSM Virtual Club's Challenges of beyond 300KM in 6 weeks...

total79cbed274e9d1b0c.jpg

so, no more Shiok! 200 KM Virtual Challenge for uncle...

uncle completed 8-hour Marathon 1 Session WMM Virtual Race...

wmm.jpg

no more SHIOK! SCSM Virtual Race (Grand Finale)...offers only 21KM and 10KM respectively...Bonus Up! is Challenge...

Soon, uncle will be into another Marathon Virtual Race soon...for AbbottWMM Age Group Ranking (40 and above)

runce03439a2348a246.jpg

uncle shares lobang with all...how to keep marathon-fit and ready...members and guests of sgRunners who enjoy reading, sharing and contributing...thank you to be with uncle in 2020...

Abbott-WMM.jpg

uncle shall also be in Team sgRunner2020 racing virtually in ASICS World Ekiden 2020 from Nov 11....

we are only in month November of 2020...but uncle is still actively engaging in these Challenges...actually in commercial running apps, they their own challenges and sometimes they tie up with global race organizers for virtual races (with medals)...for registrations...

active.jpg

monthly challenges...wah 300KM per month can do or not?...likedat uncle needs 1/2 and Full Marathon weekly...60KM x 4... the rest are 5K, 10K and 15K...try lah! in Nov...if not try lah! in Dec...if not...2021...until the challenge can be completed eventually.

so, will uncle be interested in anything 1000KM...2021KM (just kidding, Very Shiok Lah!)...in 2021....well figuratively, if uncle can do daily 5km+ with challenges and virutal races, YES, Anything is Possible.

Nowaday, you can do FOC in just registration on digital platforms with online Race Organizers or "Virtual" Run Clubs...will this be new Normals?  Let's say, Sundown Marathon Virtual Race and Challenges....live3LY registration using .MOVE. apps....would you participate? Read Terms and Conditions...carefully...Yes, read Reviews...crappy apps...ALERT! 🤔

Covid-19 - run (exercise) are non-essentials, and that is why...Virtual Races and Challenges are mere Activities for fill-in uncle's passion in run calendar (daily, weekly and monthly)...so that uncle can have the alternative to mass running (cancelled), and even if yes there should be in-place running, these mass run events can only be in "controlled sanitized environment", with social distancing, and expect to be more administrative with health check measures...the Must Do's and Dont's protocol...

ending now in 2020...uncle had completed (and will be completing) very interesting Challenges, Virtual Races and Ekiden...and AR..

so, what's ahead in 2021 for uncle? forward looking...because there is possibly more than 2021 KM of virtual distance which has yet to be started and completed...😀

Edited by kohpapa

Ai yah! What a week it was was over here.
#2 number of highest cases in ASEAN, then super typhoon Goni (200kph winds) + typhoon Atsani 😵

I snuck out for a run on one of the days there was a break in the bad weather, and got caught by a really heavy downpour some 6+kms out, so I was forced to turn back. Funny thing is, by the time I make it to the gate of my house, the rain stops?!?!   $#^*%(@!!!  🤣🤣🤣 

Good thing we're all pretty tough, and still OK (so far) 😜

19 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

i keep dun wan to accept the fact that virtual races are the new norm... but as @kohpapa once told me before to accept the reality and move along with the new changes that might be for temporary or for the long term... the sad truth...

I somewhat agree with @kohpapa actually---> no (safe + reasonably effective) vaccine, postpone all mass running events. for the time being. It's a depressing thought, but its what we have to do.

Like I said before, there's still a lot we don't know about the long term effects of this virus. There have been many documented cases where:

• Some people don't die from it, but never fully recover (Long COVID);
  • Some people recover, or never even get any symptoms, but have permanent heart and/or lung damage.

It's still best to be careful.

It takes patience to be able to go on for miles and miles until we get to the finish line right? It takes persistence to be able to progressively train harder & longer when we prepare for our races. As runners, we all have an innate understanding of these concepts... we just have to outlast this virus, and that means we will also have to run smart. To get through this, we must run with our head, not just our hearts. 😅

I'll be honest (and hope not to offend anyone by saying this), but I really have a low regard for virtual races.

Imagine...

• "proudly" brandishing a 100km finisher shirt... of a distance you actually did in installments over a 2 week period; or
  • Claiming to be a Boston marathon finisher (virtual  when you're not capable (yet) of meeting the strict qualifying times for the actual race.

I don't know. It just doesn't sit well with me, but that's just  my humble opinion. 😅

I don't think virtual races are the new normal though. They're just a stopgap measure, a temporary adaptation to help us cope with what we're missing out for the time being... until that day when we can all run together again!

I made the mistake of watching a few old Youtube videos posted by runners who recorded their previous marathons the other day, and I got really sad...

Edited by RaijinFJ
10 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

bro @RaijinFJ, you want to join us for ASICS World Ekiden 2020... we need 2 more to form a Team of 6?

5KM or 10KM...is available...

Oh, I was just getting to that when your reply popped up here on my screen. Just a minute...

I'd love to, but I don't want to install the Runkeeper app! 
My main problem is all my GPS watches are all ancient dinosaurs!!! 🤣 

Edited by RaijinFJ

it is ok..runkeeper app just register our pseudo names as SgRunners...like Lady Ice, Autumn Runner or Beast can do

but, thanks for your quick response...

we shall wait out till closer to Nov 11...in case you change your mind in Virtual Race...

Ekiden is Team Virtual Race requiring members [Friends] race a tasuki (digital cloth sash) which will be passed from one runner in a team to the next at the end of each leg..and that is why...coordination needs to be handled with the same runkeeper apps by ASICS..

great you drop by and share and contribute...

Edited by kohpapa

Wait, I'll transfer over to the Ekiden thread... I just need to get lunch first (and get back to you guys later)

I'm actually proposing a "virtual" 16km run this weekend - nothing fancy, just us folks here in SG Runners. A friendly group virtual run (since I can't come over and run with you guys over there).

What do you guys think? 

Edited by RaijinFJ
7 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

I'll be honest (and hope not to offend anyone by saying this), but I really have a low regard for virtual races.

Imagine...

• "proudly" brandishing a 100km finisher shirt... of a distance you actually did in installments over a 2 week period; or
  • Claiming to be a Boston marathon finisher (virtual  when you're not capable (yet) of meeting the strict qualifying times for the actual race.

dear @RaijinFJ, let uncle offer more personal perspectives on your comments since uncle has once done these in-place runs before like everyone here...

Qualifying vs Challenges.

Yes, during Pre-Covid 19, all races especially if they are sanctioned such as World Athletics for Road Run Races... or even Ironman Races, they need to have a specific Qualifying Marks. These are for the Elites for Prize Money or casual/serious participants who aspire to be Elites.

What you say about 100km finisher, is based on casual and serious competitive participants who aspire to do their best either meeting within the Qualifying Mark or simply complete Challenges within a specific time like commonly 8-hour. Even if the Challenges were completed by the organizer that specify a duration like days, Finishers of such event are rewarded with Finisher Medals or/and Finisher Tees.

However, on Covid-19 months, races of such mass gathering of participants (Elites or casual/serious competitive Participants) are quite impossible especially on Wave 1 when there were Lockdowns or Circuit Breakers.

Yes, Virtual Races are new Normal "Qualifying" if they are done like the past. Of course, it will be "virtually" not authentic, due the the Route of Race is anyplace, and the Timing of Race is anytime. Example, over here, hot and humid climate, no body would choose afternoon, because it is simply too hot. So most most would opt for early morning, evening and Sundown (Night).

of a distance you actually did in installments over a 2 week period..that will be "Challenges" and not Virtual Race.

Boston marathon finisher (virtual  when you're not capable (yet) of meeting the strict qualifying times for the actual race..

boston502f1d448d3c7afd.jpg

there was no mention of Virtual Race as taken as Qualifying for Boston Marathon 2021...

Then why do many casual/serious competitive participants take Virtual Race Marathon event offered if only run within 1-day...

public.jpg

NYRR-Virtual-Marathon-2020-medalb05c27a0

because that is the only "Qualifying" for WMM Virtual Races

of a distance you actually did in installments .....now that is "Challenges"...Marathon Challenges are not Marathon Virtual Race (1 session).

So, you see the differences and similarities... Virtual Race vs Challenges...Qualifying vs Challenges...

That is why, if uncle wants to compete during Covid-19...Virtual Race with stipulated "Qualifying"...Medal-only...Challenges are meant to build up uncle's Endurance, Tempo Runs, Fartlek, Hill Runs....Hours...Finisher Medal or Finisher Tee is really not relevant...and uncle has really no need to pay for Challenges, but as FOC training platform.

I'm actually proposing a "virtual" 16km run this weekend - nothing fancy, just us folks here in SG Runners. A friendly group virtual run (since I can't come over and run with you guys over there).

What do you guys think?

actually at SCSM Virtual Club [Friday local time 5am onwards to 2359 this Sunday]

VRf10a859399c0bdee.jpg

we can be engaged in Virtual Race 17KM..

perhaps you can join us at SCSM Virtual Club....

uncle shall be shortly running this one later today...

see you at the virtual finisher podium...😀

podium.jpg

you can always purchase Virtual Race Collector's Medal Series if you want...VR10-VR13...

Medal-only.jpg

uncle already Pre-Ordered to "howlian" or show off...why not...because of Covid-19...why not just simply have fun engaging in Run (Exercise) without Mask...that's all.

Edited by kohpapa

Ah, yes, I did mention the difference between what you refer to as "Qualifying vs Challenges" in another thread: 🙂

On 8/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, RaijinFJ said:

To be fair, it does read:

"100 Miles Challenge Finisher"
             rather than
"100 Miles Ultramarathon Finisher"

A non-runner would probably be clueless on the difference, but as runners, I guess we can all share a wink on that.

1 hour ago, kohpapa said:

actually at SCSM Virtual Club [Friday local time 5am onwards to 2359 this Sunday] we can be engaged in Virtual Race 17KM.. perhaps you can join us at SCSM Virtual Club. Uncle shall be shortly running this one later today...see you at the virtual finisher podium...😀

Oh, but its going to require a sign up and use of another app to join the SCSM virtual running club. The only site my Soleus GPS watches can upload data to is Strava, and as for my Asics GPS watches... they're not supported by Asics anymore so they don't work in Runkeeper. (Note: Runkeeper was bought by Asics right?)

LIke I said, they're "dinosaurs" already, but they all still work, so I'll still keep using them until they break.

What I had in mind was something simple, without any apps needed

Just a friendly, noncompetitive* group run, synchronized virtually since we're all in the same world time zone. Then we each just post a screenshot of our GPS watch display here, or in a separate thread. Something like a show of solidarity as runners, even though we all can't run together in times like these. 😊 

*To ensure there's no pressure involved, one can opt to blur or censor the total time display of the GPS screenshot before uploading it so nobody gets paiseh if they're not as fast as everyone else. Just enjoy the journey and go!  For non elite runners like us, we run for the joy of it right? 

Oh alright then, If I feel like it, I'll add an extra km and do 17 tomorrow then, just to cover the same distance as the SCSM Virtual Club. 😇

15 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Oh alright then, If I feel like it, I'll add an extra km and do 17 tomorrow then, just to cover the same distance as the SCSM Virtual Club. 😇

did a warmup 7km...

7km.jpg

12-hour later...17KM...

17kmc9dd0c973e6a7ea2.jpg

back-to-back run sessions...

then after 24-hour...Nov 9...42.2KM...Autumn Marathon Virtual Race - 1 x 26.2 Mile for 1-day only.

runce03439a2348a246.jpg

because uncle needed this one to meet the dateline to be Ranked as Participant of AbottWMM Wanda Age Group Virtual Races 😀

qualifier.jpg

Note: this one for anyone above 40...

just join lah! uncles and aunties...say you can do marathons...tell to others...uncle and aunty is AbottWMM Wanda Age Group Runner...don't play play...<Virtual> is deleted for ego sake...🤫.

@RaijinFJ, please follow up our Virtual Race or Challenges caht at the appropriate forum thread..@ SCSM Virtual Club...

Edited by kohpapa

Well, you guys are lucky. It looks like your vaccines are arriving! 😊

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/first-shipment-covid-19-vaccine-arrives-singapore-belgium

And the ones the SG government are procuring are reutable brands too - the ones made by Phizer and Moderna.*

As for us here, we'll just have to survive and play "dodge the virus" for another year or two... 😜

2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/first-shipment-covid-19-vaccine-arrives-singapore-belgium

And the ones the SG government are procuring are reutable brands too - the ones made by Phizer and Moderna.*

As for us here, we'll just have to survive and play "dodge the virus" for another year or two... 😜

I would be very cautious about those vaccines since they are rushed out and not enough human trial testing so can't foresee what other problems there might be...

Anyway most of us would still need to wait for half a year to get our turn at the vaccines.

8 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

There are also a few cases where there are some reactions from individuals on the vaccines... i think there is no consolidated known data on what are the common conditions the individuals are having which resulted in the reactions of the vaccine...

On 12/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, kohpapa said:

As the coronavirus pandemic has forced the Boston Athletic Association to postpone the marathon from April to the fall, the B.A.A. is launching a virtual community where runners can come together online...

Sounds exactly like SCSM virtual club...

On 12/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, beast said:

I would be very cautious about those vaccines since they are rushed out and not enough human trial testing so can't foresee what other problems there might be...

Anyway most of us would still need to wait for half a year to get our turn at the vaccines.

In any case, at least Singapore is procuring vaccines from countries who are transparent with their data. While I agree there's some risk (as with all vaccines), at least you and your doctor can make an informed decision for yourselves based on the best knowledge that the doctors. scientists and researchers of these manufacturers are aware of.

As for us over here, if we (ever) do get a vaccine, it seems we'll be forced* to accept one from shady manufacturers that have repeatedly withheld, or distorted their third stage clinical trial data.

I know COVID's (practically) non existent there in Singapore, so it doesn't seem that urgent, but as far as a decent vaccine for this plague is concerned, I think you guys should consider yourself fortunate. I'm certain a lot of people elsewhere would gladly get in line in your place there if Singaporeans don't want it.  😇

*it's an open secret here that they've already bought off the major decision makers in that aspect.