lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

Well! If there's a bright side to this pandemic on this side of the ocean, I managed a 10k tempo run today at 00:49:48 🥳 🥳🥳 after not doing any weekend LSDs for more than a month already. Weekends are now just 1 easy jog day + 1 extra rest day (either Sat or Sun) Note: I still run at least 4 x a week, just minus the long run.

I thought I was already "out to pasture" with these old legs of mine, but I wonder if I could possibly shave off 5-10 min more from that time with a little focused work (intervals and hill repeats) for the next 3-6 months... 🤔

I don't think I'll need to maintain long distance endurance for the time being anyway with this extended "off season" (all marathons and ultras cancelled or elite only).

One thing I've noticed though... is there's practically little or no sharing/exchange of info in this community on training, etc. Is everyone here... just on his own? Now be nice, I'm not bashing the forum (far from it!), but with such a large community of runners there in Singapore, I wonder where is everybody? They can't all be training in their spare time...  IMHO, there's always something new to learn from the collective experiences of other runners, and you can't get that by just reading a book. 🧐

10 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Well! If there's a bright side to this pandemic on this side of the ocean, I managed a 10k tempo run today at 00:49:48 🥳 🥳🥳 after not doing any weekend LSDs for more than a month already. Weekends are now just 1 easy jog day + 1 extra rest day (either Sat or Sun) Note: I still run at least 4 x a week, just minus the long run.

I thought I was already "out to pasture" with these old legs of mine, but I wonder if I could possibly shave off 5-10 min more from that time with a little focused work (intervals and hill repeats) for the next 3-6 months... 🤔

I don't think I'll need to maintain long distance endurance for the time being anyway with this extended "off season" (all marathons and ultras cancelled or elite only).

One thing I've noticed though... is there's practically little or no sharing/exchange of info in this community on training, etc. Is everyone here... just on his own? Now be nice, I'm not bashing the forum (far from it!), but with such a large community of runners there in Singapore, I wonder where is everybody? They can't all be training in their spare time...  IMHO, there's always something new to learn from the collective experiences of other runners, and you can't get that by just reading a book. 🧐

that is extremely good... getting into a sub 50mins 10k when u had shaved the LSDs totally for a month... most probably you had a good foundation through years of LSDs hence probably one month of rest is positive in a way where it helps to recover fatigue muscles...

this forum used to be very active with runners from all walks of life and there were a lot of sharing on training if you refer to the "training" tab here... these days there were less sharing indeed...

12 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Unfortunately, the community here is no longer active in such sharing on training and the likes, like it used to (I wasn't here since day 1, but from what I read and know, mostly from @kohpapa). However, I am still grateful for a place like this here for some interaction and to read up on information about the local races that are shared generously by the other members.

2 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Unofficial....2021 Tokyo Marathon (scheduled for Mar. 7)...may be move to fall 2021...TBA on Oct 9..

1664d9a6d3a418ab2.jpg

They should have just continue with the elite-only race instead of messing up the calendar... unless they are planning for 2 marathons in 6 months when they return back to April for the 2022 edition... 

Also nobody knows the pandemic situation a year from now. Hopefully things get back to normal by then. But what if it doesn't?

Edited by beast

thank you @beast for the compliment...because when we have "off-topic" discussion, with mutual understanding...all training matters and discussion we go to the appropriate forum thread...and this case...we did...

152dbf243e0763435.jpg

and since @RaijinFJ you have quite an impressive tempo run that you done, 👍...no need to feel like there is no body here not listening or cheering...we are happy...but, most of us are here for in SCSM 2020 Virtual Race...great Training Base program by Ironman Asia in preparing us for the SCSM 2020 Virtual Race (Grand Finale)

not bashing anyone here...uncle is piling weekly marathon mileage...with active participation on these weekday challenges and weekend VRaces.....medal hunter of collection digital badges of 20-day [FOC]

124b690eb4ef28186.jpg

previous week was 44km...

sorry...uncle should have put this one at the appropriate forum thread...

the run community here is not so active like in previous years, because we are yet out of the woods from Covid-19 pandemic...of course, some of us are coping with bread and butter issues...which uncle already had said and shared...running (exercise) or any mass event on running (exercise) are no longer essential...because you don't know if you could be affected by it (physically, mentally, financially) and service demands shift so fast that the next hour, someone may be affected by lost of income or otherwise because global demand (like travel) drops so much that Companies are forced to layoff or even close because of Covid-19...

Maybe in 2021/22, when that are actually good news in Discovery of Vaccine...better to Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Happy, it is ok take a deserving break from everything from run (exercise) because it is no longer essential or being overactive for the time being....survival is of utmost importance...

except for uncle of course...planning for back-to-back run of 12km and 10 x 3attempts km and 7km and 12km...this week...can always follow uncle at SCSM 2020 Virtual Race forum...updates...that one can be considered as "Training - Preparation for Virtual Race Marathon" forum thread...

Edited by kohpapa

My last LSD was a 20 miler (32k) in June in preparation for the Gold Coast Virtual Marathon, but cases began to rise alarmingly here, so I called it off.

Even if a safe & effective vaccine comes around by next year, I don’t think there’ll be enough of it to go around to make an impact for 2021. 102 years have passed since the last major pandemic (Spanish Flu), and despite all the advances in medical science, we seem just a powerless today against coronaviruses as the world was then😣

Nice run streak there! @kohpapa 

4 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

My last LSD was a 20 miler (32k) in June in preparation for the Gold Coast Virtual Marathon, but cases began to rise alarmingly here, so I called it off.

Even if a safe & effective vaccine comes around by next year, I don’t think there’ll be enough of it to go around to make an impact for 2021. 102 years have passed since the last major pandemic (Spanish Flu), and despite all the advances in medical science, we seem just a powerless today against coronaviruses as the world was then😣

Nice run streak there! @kohpapa 

let's just look forward to a better year next year and hopefully we are all able to be better prepared for the next pandemic...

bro and sis of the run community...

we respect each other that this Covid-19 pandemic indeed has an impact on our daily bread and butter,  and most of us have been running to Stay Strong and Stay healthy...because it has been motivating and encouraging for our lifestyle...so enjoy..

locally, because of the reason run (exercise),  we are entitled to run (exercise) without mask...besides those that "smoke" or "eat, drink and dine"...

while we are on the move (not an app) with heavy breathing and sweat...it is always droplets or "sprays" that most others will always ready to pound accusation on us that...we are super spreader suspect always...if there is a cluster..because we are exceptional to without mask on....so we must avoid crowd, so much even more...

to organise any event would suggest "crowding" or gathering of large groups...

unless, if you should want to have contact tracing measures must be in-placed -

check 1: are you not feeling well, if not, don't show up, go and see a physician

check 2: at arrival, SafeEntry (Scan QR code) and register your presence "check-in"

check 3: temperature taking... 

check 4: at departure, SafeEntry (Scan QR code) and register your absence "check-out'

there is every reason that fitness level or even years of honing on our athletic abilities...there will be significantly dropped with prolonged "inactiveness" because of Covid-19 "lockdown" or "circuit breaker"...perfectly reasonable...

remembering...even then...limit to home only...neighbourhood only...subject to fine, jail or both during the early days of Covid-19...

whether you have chosen to not to run..or you have migrated to another platform...bike or swim or skate or even do nothing...it is always ok, because we are respecting the authority guideline and measures...because public safety is important...and so are you...

we have different forum threads on training, discussion on non-run subject or simply talk about nothing...just create a forum thread and share...like uncle's 7th month ghost festival...run with ghosts...also is virtually "real"...except ghosts don't run..they flies...with their "limbs" without bodies...

all races are cancelled... and even those races which chose to proceed...you can see how much problems (measures taken to ensure safe and social distancing) are so difficult...it is better to do the right thing...cancel until a better time when Covid-19 is free from all...until WHO declares..in recent days and weeks...Covid-19 getting to a new peak again...2nd wave, 3rd wave...don't be too "relax"...remained vigilant...

continue to motivate one another, we don't do "bashing", but only encouraging one another...

we are closing to end of 2020 in 3 months, what's next in 2021...

already many spring 2021 run events as evidenced by updates...most have postponed or even heading to Fall of 2021...and don't be surprised...maybe extend to 2022...

so keep on with Stay Strong and Stay Healthy efforts...what is past is no longer normals of tomorrow...Virtual Race has proven that...at least if the apps work...run solo or with smaller groups...run globally run any time...

just keep in contact...just a voice to say..I am ok...at least we know virtually...you are still active and once upon a time...we had passionately shared in this forum...and we know you are reading...and enjoy...

Edited by kohpapa
12 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

indeed i really hope the other WMM will follow the footsteps of London so that at least if we cant run in it, we can still watch the elites run...which still serve as a motivation for us....

actually, not really to follow the footsteps of the London Marathon 2020 measures ...Lattelecom Riga Marathon (Lavtia) has decided to adopt mass participant with Covid-19 measures and precaution...

mybestruns.com-Riga-marathon-is-taking-p

Achieving herd immunity to Covid-19 (quite commonly practiced in the countries of Western Europe)...vs...our local authority handling of Covid-19...

straitstimes.com-Coronavirus-Why-Singapo

straitstimes.com-Coronavirus-Why-Singapo

Again, there is no better or best ways, simply nobody has come out with the vaccine which ultimately will be the most effective measure to rid of Covid-19...

Edited by kohpapa
On 10/9/2020 at 4:35 PM, AutumnRunner said:

indeed i really hope the other WMM will follow the footsteps of London so that at least if we cant run in it, we can still watch the elites run...which still serve as a motivation for us....

Finally, we have one...

Elite-only field to compete in The Marathon Project in December....

mybestruns.com-Elite-only-field-to-compe

Interesting note: Our SEA Games marathon champion Soh Rui Yong was under tutelage of Northern Arizona Elite (NAZ Elite) coach Ben Rosario in 2017 while defending his marathon title in SEA GAMES in KL (2017)...

This was used for the London Marathon.

TBH, I can't imagine running with that around my neck. But that's just me. 

And I also don't understand why it has to be hung around the neck. Could it not be wore on the wrist like a watch or something? Or clip to your running belt or waist band?

But it's an idea. And hopefully, the tech will improve in future. 

The dystopian version of it will be a fitted collar that send an electric shock if you failed to observe safe distancing. :crazysmile:

Mr Chris Robb... you say a lot of things but what is your idea of asking sport event companies to innovate? Or list examples of what you mean?

Mr Sasikumar... can advise how to convince government to think "insular"? As you have suggested, it is up to the government to open up regulations like re-opening stadiums so that we can progress to the new normal of doing sports...

Mr. Geoff Mayer..."alternative year-end race format"... OK run virtual race for 2020 edition, got it...

If you look at the Local Organizer such as Infinitus Productions with the .MOVE. app as well as their sales and marketing startegy.. Medal is awarded upon completion of weekly challenges cum the duration of the Virtual Race format using .MOVE. apps results as submission only (POSB Run for Kids)...

Sports in Singapore is for the Masses...Number of Participants...Breaking Record of Mass Participation for Marathons...like in STVR 2020...14K participated in recent Marathon Race (17.5KM and 175KM)...SOLD OUT FULLY really... during Covid-19 pandemic...amazing..

Expect SCSM 2020 Virtual Race...the participation rate should be larger than STVR 2020 of 14K...

Edited by kohpapa
On 10/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, lonewolf said:

This was used for the London Marathon.

TBH, I can't imagine running with that around my neck. But that's just me. 

And I also don't understand why it has to be hung around the neck. Could it not be wore on the wrist like a watch or something? Or clip to your running belt or waist band?

But it's an idea. And hopefully, the tech will improve in future. 

The dystopian version of it will be a fitted collar that send an electric shock if you failed to observe safe distancing. :crazysmile:

Electric shock is too drastic lah...how about adding 30 seconds to your finishing time if you failed to observe safe distancing :crazysmile:

Seriously though, isn't it hard to maintain safe distancing among the elites? I noticed that they usually tend to run at a very similar pacing in a cluster during the early stage of a race...