lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

41 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

yup.... Nagoya going ahead with elites.... i wonder if SCSM going to invite elites only, how many will qualify...

fukuoka marathon 2020...Dec 6..

FM.jpg

fukuoka-marathon.com-Fukuoka-Internation

registration next week...looks like this one is going to be go ahead...

Edited by kohpapa

Good sharing of guidelines for how USA running events will operate in a COVID-19 situation. I am just wondering if the guidelines will be too numerous to follow for race organizers, although on these guidelines look good on theory if properly executed.

welcome back, @trailblazer

according to a set of rules, typically in multisports events (triathlon), we actually have a protocol...

eg..prior to..on reaching...and after water point, a distance whereby, if athletes who infringe rule...say...discreetly anyhow disposing of your own waste outside the water point zone...you can be "penalised by point" by officials...and if you incur more than certain infringment points...then you shall be placed in "penalty" boxes say...for 2 minutes..which shall be "added" to your race (qualifying) time

Social Distancing is the theme of Covid-19...of course, wearing Mask only when not runing....otherwise, wear Mask when not running is another "rule"...and again, this can be "penalty"...say, at the zone where you should have "mask must be ON"...

commonly in a sanctioned event...USA Run Races if under sanctioned races say under World Athletics...must comply...protocol...which uncle is not surprised...the guidelines are not by theory be executed, but these are "rules" to be implemented...

otherwise, the guidelines shall fall under the local authority guideline...like in Singapore...MOH, Sports Singapore, ActiveSG..

let's see what SCSM 2020 if there is a REAL RUN race going to be like. Very likely there will be guidelines also must comply...because the race is to be sanctioned by World Athletics...

Edited by kohpapa

The future of mass running events? (before mass covid-19 vaccinations) 

It's a good effort but it's hard not to be sceptical about the measures, scalability and sustainability of these measures.

But it is a good case study since Australia and Singapore has roughly the same pandemic condition. 

Of course, knowing our govt, this will unlikely be allowed for the moment. Just look at the situation at the bars and restaurants where business and customers and playing hard and fast with some of the safe distancing rules.

London Marathon 2020...Oct 4...ready

Elite-Athlete only and Virtual Race (24-hour to complete the race)

express.co.uk-London-Marathon-2020-start

Interesting Note: Official App, powered by TCS

tcs.jpg

elite-race.md.jpg

looks like SCSM 2020...may probably adopt similar Elite-Athlete only and Virtual Race (24-hour to complete the race)...Official App, powered by TCS ..a good case study since UK and Singapore would have used the same Official App, and we can cooperate and learn from each other as we are in the Commonwealth of Nations. 😀

Edited by kohpapa

Announcement from MyBESTRuns...status of 2020 SCSM...

previous post...

reported.jpg

cancelled.jpg

cancelled.jpg

To be confirmed only from authorised source... 2020 SCSM (Ironman)...that we shall have 2020 SCSM Virtual Race (Grand Finale) only.🙄

Edited by kohpapa
On 9/27/2020 at 2:32 PM, lonewolf said:

The future of mass running events? (before mass covid-19 vaccinations) 

It's a good effort but it's hard not to be sceptical about the measures, scalability and sustainability of these measures.

But it is a good case study since Australia and Singapore has roughly the same pandemic condition. 

Of course, knowing our govt, this will unlikely be allowed for the moment. Just look at the situation at the bars and restaurants where business and customers and playing hard and fast with some of the safe distancing rules.

It is indeed difficult for Sg to implement this at the moment... organisers will have to ensure all these are set properly in place so higher responsibilities will be set upon them...

4 hours ago, kohpapa said:

well, the elites can wear Next Generation of Fast Tech shoes...and World Athletics say "Can"...

wah, uncle also want...BUY

it's not about the shoes but the person using them....

His has his name and timing at the heel one.... hahaha... so u have money also wun be able to buy... 

8 hours ago, kohpapa said:

wah, uncle also want...BUY

04c5db8a9c745edacc.md.jpg

it's not about the shoes but the person using them....

@kohpapaFully agree with your last statement. If the person's running technique is poor, even high-tech shoes are not going to propel the person to be super efficient runners. With the price of Nike Zoom, I can easily buy a few pairs of minimalist footwear lasting me for years.  

2020 London Marathon schedule - In the men's race, the two fastest marathoners in history go head-to-head...

sports.yahoo.com-2020-London-Marathon-TV

sports.yahoo.com-2020-London-Marathon-TV

london.jpg

Kipchoge, the 2016 Rio Olympic champion, will be going for an unprecedented fifth title on his fifth appearance at the London streets, having won the event in a course record time of 2 hours, 02 minutes and 37 seconds in 2019.

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS... || KENENISA BEKELE Drops Out of the 2020 London Marathon

Edited by kohpapa
10 hours ago, trailblazer said:

@kohpapaFully agree with your last statement. If the person's running technique is poor, even high-tech shoes are not going to propel the person to be super efficient runners. With the price of Nike Zoom, I can easily buy a few pairs of minimalist footwear lasting me for years.  

World Athletics Ruling on Shoes for Competition for the Elite Athletes

(info: mybestruns.com)

mybestruns.com-World-Athletics-modifies-

previously, uncle shared this at SCSM 2020 forum thread, which indeed were told to share in non-race forum... but now it is timely for awareness...Next Gen High Tech shoes are allowed for both Elite and non-Elite...and no longer banned previously..

and as a definitely non-Elite casual one, uncle has tried and still running with this one for any Road Race running...I can say, the challenge is significant improvement in your running gait once you fit in to the shoes "prowess"...meaning the shoes make you want to run fast because it (Tech built in the shoes) enables you to spend the time and efforts to run faster..zone 2 and beyond...sustainable pace for longer duration/higher mileage...feel like "an elite"...howlian when you overtake casual and yet competitive runners who wanted to pace and overake uncle...

"go and buy Tech shoes lah...follow and pace uncle's backside for wat?"

2020 London Marathon - Countdown...

latest.jpg

virginmoneylondonmarathon.com-A-message-

Participants in the 2020 Virgin Money London Marathon will have 24 hours to complete the 26.2 miles, from 00:00 to 23:59 on Sunday 4 October. They can run, walk, take breaks and log their race on a new London Marathon app being developed by event partner TCS. Runners can also use their time, with appropriate supporting evidence, to apply for a Good for Age or Championship place in 2021 (Sunday 3 October)

mybestruns.com-Ethiopian-Kenenisa-Bekele

mybestruns.com-Ethiopian-Kenenisa-Bekele

Edited by kohpapa
On 9/26/2020 at 2:41 PM, trailblazer said:

Good sharing of guidelines for how USA running events will operate in a COVID-19 situation. I am just wondering if the guidelines will be too numerous to follow for race organizers, although on these guidelines look good on theory if properly executed.

Interesting, but the US is not exactly a role model right now in terms of their local management of the pandemic. Even with all those safeguards in place, I'm still going to give it a pass.* This is a total turn around for me since they pushed through with the LA marathon in March - I was even hoping on doing SDM over there this May remember? But assessing all that's happened these past 6 months, well, we now know (or ought to know) better. 

Using the Spanish Flu as a precedent, the 2nd and 3rd waves were actually much deadlier than the first.

*Even before this pandemic, I've known a runner or two who'd stll join a race even if they were not feeling well on race day (had a cold, etc) because they didn't want to forfeit the entry fee. They didn't care at all about what they could be passing on to others. And don't think it just happens here - are people any different? There are selfish people in any society anywhere in the world.

There was even this case study of a runner who insisted on running the marathon he trained for even when he had the full blown flu (the regular kind). He finished the race alright, but he suffered from recurring (on & off) viral respiratory infections for over a year. This was published in a book I read, but I can't remember which, so I can't give a citation for it. 

In any case, the stakes are much higher now,so even though I'm still running, its no races for me for the time being - although I still wistfully look at posted race calendars online. LOL 😅 Due to this rotten pandemic, I've become a running hermit, but if that's what needs to be done, well, so be it! 

I actually laughed when saw the map of the course recorded by my GPS watch on one of my runs- there were almost 5-6 U turns and several detours on it when I wanted to avoid running into other people that it looked like some kid scribbled a crayon all over it! 🤣 🤣🤣