Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

3 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

That being said, I don't care if all the running organizers close shop and go bankrupt.

New ones can reincorporate later,.but the athletes (even the non-pros like us) have to survive this pandemic first...and not just survive, but survive intact (i.e. still able to run!)😜

No company or able beings should be forced to close shop and lose their jobs as a result of this pandemic. Nobody asked for this, and while realistically there will be companies who will go out of business, it is a rather morbid mentality not to care about the consequences of people facing bankruptcy and zero income, even if they are not related to you in any manner.

Let's just hope that the organisers can survive through this pandemic and come back stronger to organise even better and safer races for all of us....

There are certain limitations when you are restricted to a few sentences and paragraphs here and there when writing in an online forum. However, the message would get too muddled (and long) if it one would have to put too many clarifications out of fear of being misunderstood.

I’m afraid my statement:

“ I don’t care if running organizers close shop and go bankrupt

may have been taken a bit too literally though. (Note: No offense is taken, nor was any meant either) 😅

To be honest, I was actually just saying it in a tone of resigned, hands up exasperation- meaning, if we have to refrain from participating in organized races and reduce our running because of the danger, and some organizers fold up because of that, well, some things have to give way for the greater good.

By analogy, it would be like a situation where you witness your apartment burning down, but by some miracle, you manage to get out with your family safe and you tell them: “Never mind, we’re all alive and alright, we’ll get another place to live when this is over!”

Saying “never mind” didn’t mean you were being indifferent, it was just a dejected (and sad) way of saying “it can’t be helped!” The same goes for my earlier post.

In fact, all I’m saying is, I think the most important thing now is to do whatever we can to try to stay healthy, rather than set new PR’s and compete. A strong, intact working population will place less strain on government resources, and facilitate more rapid economic recovery once this crisis passes. I think this applies to any country, anywhere in the world.

This virus is really terrible, but we’ll just have to pick up the pieces somehow afterwards. 

Edited by RaijinFJ

9 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

I’m afraid my statement:

may have been taken a bit too literally though. (Note: No offense is taken, nor was any meant either) 😅

To be honest, I was actually just saying it in a tone of resigned, hands up exasperation- meaning, if we have to refrain from participating in organized races and reduce our running because of the danger, and some organizers fold up because of that, well, some things have to give way for the greater good.

By analogy, it would be like a situation where you witness your apartment burning down, but by some miracle, you manage to get out with your family safe and you tell them: “Never mind, we’re all alive and alright, we’ll get another place to live when this is over!”

Saying “never mind” didn’t mean you were being indifferent, it was just a dejected (and sad) way of saying “it can’t be helped!” The same goes for my earlier post.

In fact, all I’m saying is, I think the most important thing now is to do whatever we can to try to stay healthy, rather than set new PR’s and compete. A strong, intact working population will place less strain on government resources, and facilitate more rapid economic recovery once this crisis passes. I think this applies to any country, anywhere in the world.

This virus is really terrible, but we’ll just have to pick up the pieces somehow afterwards. 

No offense taken too... I was probably a bit too sensitive. Thanks for clearing that up! 

Its the stress from this pandemic, and it can be felt everywhere.

Nobody, not even the experts know how this is going to turn out, or how long it will go on. 😨 We just have to persevere.
If I'm not mistaken, so far it's day number 245 since this virus was discovered, and we all still seem to be alright (for now). Thank goodness!

From the movie "Last Samurai":

Katsumoto: "Do you think a man can change his destiny?"
Algren: "I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed to him!🤞🤞🤞

Edited by RaijinFJ
Typos

The Tokyo Marathon is one of the six World Marathon Majors. This year's races (2020) in Boston, Berlin, Chicago and New York have all been canceled, while the London Marathon will feature only elite runners after being postponed from April to October.

2021 has yet to arrive...already Tokyo Marathon 2021 organizers are weighing on the possibility of rescheduling (postpone)...

mybestruns.com-2021-Tokyo-Marathon-may-b

mybestruns.com-2021-Tokyo-Marathon-may-b

2021...the Covid-19 pandemic impact on races...postpone or cancel....continued...

Edited by kohpapa

Read this article too.. i think it is just as a safety precaution that the organisers of Tokyo Marathon is looking at. it is not in concrete yet so let's hope and pray...

2020 Virgin Money London Marathon historic elite-only races (Sunday 4 October)...bio secure bubble protection...

elite-race.md.jpg

19 laps (2.15km) plus 1345m is marathon route...

Edited by kohpapa

A little more distressing news on how COVID-19 virus affects athletes, and these are young, otherwise fit people:

Up to 35 percent of Big Ten athletes who had Covid-19 now show signs of inflammation of the heart muscle, a top Penn State doctor says, reigniting the debate over the safety of playing sports during the pandemic...

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles are inflamed…and we really just don’t know what to do with it right now It’s still very early in the infection... 

On how myocarditis could potentially affect an athlete in the long term, Sebastianelli said they don’t yet know about whether this would affect the status of athletes — making them go from elite to average.

Full article is in this link:

https://www.abc17news.com/news/health-news/2020/09/03/doctor-says-one-third-of-big-ten-athletes-who-contracted-covid-19-show-signs-of-heart-inflammation/

3 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

A little more distressing news on how COVID-19 virus affects athletes, and these are young, otherwise fit people:

https://www.abc17news.com/news/health-news/2020/09/03/doctor-says-one-third-of-big-ten-athletes-who-contracted-covid-19-show-signs-of-heart-inflammation/

Great sharing.

Hope everyone takes this and exercise precautionary measures more seriously. Sure, you most likely can get cured if you get infected, but the damage that it does to your body will never be the same again...

22 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Thanks for sharing...

This really makes it very clear to everyone to please exercise caution especially without mask.... the virus is still around ..

2021 registration for Boston Marathon...postponed...

mybestruns.com-2021-registration-for-Bos

meaning if there is no registration (like in 2020), then there won't be any reason for any elite-only, virtual race alternative once it will be postponed unless it was cancelled...

interestingly would be races that were registered in 2020, and was told to be postponed date to 2021...will they be postponed or virtual race in 2021...unless cancelled...

2021 race calendar currently remained a "blank" sheet for any new upcoming races to be announced...but merely a "fill-in" for 2020 postponed race dates...both local and overseas...

sgrunners.com-Local-Races-page-001.jpg

will be interesting if registrating for Virtual Race in 2021 may become a norm...will you?

Edited by kohpapa

good news, events for 250...from 1st Oct...SG

straitstimes.com-Singapore-to-allow-bigg

good news, mass run to return...end-October...UK

channelnewsasia.com-Athletics-Mass-parti

channelnewsasia.com-Athletics-Mass-parti

Edited by kohpapa

Looks like UK is the first to allow parkrun to restart.... and seems like Sg is also opening up on the business side to allow 250 persons for conventions... so seemed like there is chance for SCSM 2020 mass run, but maybe limited to elites only...

i am shocked that 5,600 runners from 600 countries when they also mentioned foreigners only allowed to enter Hungary is really necessary.. i guess this does not imply to if the foreigner wants to enter the country for the run only....

in that case still have 600 countries?? hmn....

Edited by AutumnRunner

qualifying for 2021 Toyko Olympics has started...with or without Covid...The Games will start on July 23 in 2021....

whycf7e5956dbdf63ad.md.jpg

qualify.md.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

Attention everyone, be part of the 2:01:39 BMW Berlin Marathon...Your World Record Challenge...Sept 27, 2020...and the app is free...more details to be updated...

mybestruns.com-Be-part-of-the-20139-Chal

mybestruns.com-Be-part-of-the-20139-Chal

2021 Tokyo Marathon...reported..a plan to (currently scheduled for 7 march for october 2021) with a maximum field of 15,000...

mybestruns.com-2021-Tokyo-Marathon-exami

mybestruns.com-2021-Tokyo-Marathon-exami

looks like, 2021...a year with or without Covid-19...marathon race must go on...

Edited by kohpapa

On 9/11/2020 at 2:01 AM, kohpapa said:

2021 Tokyo Marathon...reported..a plan to (currently scheduled for 7 march for october 2021) with a maximum field of 15,000...

looks like, 2021...a year with or without Covid-19...marathon race must go on...

most likely its elites plus local race only if 15,000 runners really can run in this mass event..

Confirmed, Valencia Marathon (Gold Label Road Race), top-level elite only event...December 6, 2020mybestruns.com-Valencia-Marathon-has-ann

for about 250 professional runners who will be attempting to qualify for the 2021 Tokyo Olympics...as well as another 50 athletes looking for their best in the Half Marathon..

mybestruns.com-Valencia-Marathon-has-ann

mybestruns.com-Valencia-Marathon-has-ann

Edited by kohpapa

Confirmed, 2020 Fukuoka Marathon ...with limited field size...Dec 6, 2020...

mybestruns.com-2020-Fukuoka-Marathon-wil

According to Upcoming Races published...reported...

race01d8a1cae5d62d18.jpg

2020 SCSM (likely TBA on Dec 5)...Dec 6 is taken...Asia, Europe and USA..

race666ca5e7c1c54ecb.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

confirmed, 2021 Nagoya women's marathon, march 14..Elite Only..marathon race...limited..11,000plus elite divisions and invited athletes...

mybestruns.com-Worlds-Largest-Women-Mara

Edited by kohpapa