Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

58 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Kuala Lumpur Standard Chartered Marathon Cancel due to Covid-19 - All individual registrations will be automatically deferred to KLSCM2021, which is scheduled to take place on a similar time period as this year, which is mid-June, pending confirmation from the city council.

You know,  I just realized something about those cancelled races that will just carry over previous registrations.

That would mean there would be only limited slots left for NEW regstrants who want to enter the the next year right🤔

I know KL SCM 2020 has almost sold out all its slots already. How many new slots will they open for new registrants in 2021 then? Even assuming only 50% of runners who registered this year will still be available to run in 2021, there's no way to determine that at this point now right?

Maybe 2021 races that do this might wind up overcrowded & oversubscribed... (TAKE NOTE SDM organizers!)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RaijinFJ said:

You know,  I just realized something about those cancelled races that will just carry over previous registrations.

That would mean there would be only limited slots left for NEW regstrants who want to enter the the next year right🤔

Why not just add more slots...lol...and imagine the amount of money "locked" in 2020 and now bring forward to 2021....race organizers have earned "the financial leverage" for 2021...

Let's say 45,000-stong participants pay entry-fee of 50 MR...2.25 Million MR would be the collection from 2020 for 2021....why not, uncle would like to have that money...to invest at low cost of all available goods and services in the year 2020 of Covid-19...what if, an offer of 1/2 price for new entrants  later if Covid-19 persists mildly by 2021 when there is still the "fear" factor to overcome in order for registering of new entrants say another another 5,000 or even 10,000?

Best option is an offer for Full Refund for those who opt-out, for nobody knows what is the future. Imagine if ALL opt for Full Refund...2.25 Million MR just "disappear" from the Race Organizer. Financial accounting means, you start with 0 MR from 2021, not 2.25 Million MR, and we call that having financial "transparency".

Seoul Marathon 2020: [Full Refund]

seoul.png

credit card...information and details

wire.jpg

wire transfer...much later...

Financial "transparency" of Seoul Marahon 2020 is nobody owes or gains from anyone on any outstanding financial assets or liabilities...ZERO. 👌

There will be a new date for Seoul Marathon 2021, not transferred or postponed.

Edited by kohpapa

Same distance, same route, same number of aid stations but MORE runners?

I think that would be a recipie for disaster, unless the organizers are prepared to handle the bigger crowd... 😬

Posted (edited)

KL.png

40,000 actually for 2019 KLSCM..what if in 2020 supposed to be 45,000...should be more...and 2021...All you need is a pair of running shoes and off you go!...expect MORE like 50,000.

Edited by kohpapa

Sports Singapore has further clarify the type of strenuous activity during the CB that  does not require the wearing of mask;

15APRAdvisoryonSportPAPEforControlPeriod

SOURCE: HERE

Posted (edited)

cool, uncle fits the category when Exercise with No Mask,

ok.jpg

howeverWear Mask (Yes)

1. Walking (if for fatigue after deciding not to run anymore)
  2. Any other activities such as to Home, to Market and Commuting via Public Transport.

Did a ECP run yesterday, Beaches [Closed] all "wrap-up" in red/white marking tape, most in orange net wrap, Walkers Walk in Mask, Runners (some don't know about the new Sport SG notice) also wear Masks. Cyclists all wear mask but not in groups. Families [Parents with child, Owners with Pets], not so crowded, perhaps understanding the importance of Social Distancing, Safe Distancing, and Wear Masks Always.

1e607f95c2ed8163e.jpg

21b18fb00240e202d.jpg

3a30932f085a6e720.jpg

4daf9a44d422eadcf.jpg

mmm...north east monsoon...

wish uncle can return for swim at ECP next time...high tide...May/June...after cb sg...

another-scenario.jpg

(info - Climate of Singapore - Seasons - Meterological Service Singapore)

season.jpg

Interesting Note: Parent bring frisbee with a child?  Playing or Exercising, better check with Sports SG/SG Sports, whatever, for more details.

OK, playing frisbee could be strenous, No Mask. But, bringing frisbee with a child to ECP, both must Wear Mask. [Report - Fine $300 for Parent with Child, Fine $300 for Child above 2] 😷

Shall make another ECP run on cb sg

fri.jpg

wah...how about morning run...not so hot and humid...hope can Report Fine on First Offence...

Edited by kohpapa

Todayonline has a nice article on what sort of exercise that you can or cannot do during the CB.

And no, frisbee throwing is not one of them. -_-

outdoor-exercise01.jpg

Someone pays an expensive lesson thinking he can have a solo golf swinging session. :crazysmile:

Full article: Must I Wear A Mask While I Jog? Can I Meet Just One Friend To Shoot Hoops? — And Other Questions About Exercising Outdoors During The Circuit Breaker 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

Todayonline has a nice article on what sort of exercise that you can or cannot do during the CB.

And no, frisbee throwing is not one of them. -_-

outdoor-exercise01.jpg

Someone pays an expensive lesson thinking he can have a solo golf swinging session. :crazysmile:

Full article: Must I Wear A Mask While I Jog? Can I Meet Just One Friend To Shoot Hoops? — And Other Questions About Exercising Outdoors During The Circuit Breaker 

Yes, thank you, but when going to Exercise to play frisbee...Must Wear Mask. Carpark is mere 10m away from ECP Carpark is Grey Area. Walking from underpass from home of 500m must wear Mask. Grey area.

Skateboarding at ECP...Wah, that one is clearly not Exercise, right? Grey area. Use ECP to return home is Commuting. Grey area.

No wonder, uncle is never made Safe Distancing ambassador, otherwise, kena punch, is obviously very blue, grey and black. 👊 🥶 ☠️ 👻

The man refused to provide his particulars to the NEA officers, who then activated the police. But the man attempted to leave before the police arrived.

“An NEA enforcement officer tried to stop the man who then hit the officer in the face,” said NEA. 

“Investigation is being conducted and multiple charges may be considered.”

Edited by kohpapa

Agree @Kohpapa - everyone needs to relearn basic skills. See govt is trying to encourage more urban farmers ASAP. There are global issues on the supply chain with western countries (USA to name one) cutting in and paying more money for medical supplies from China and thus other countries where the orders were for have been made to go to the back of the line.  Harvesting in the UK is now difficult because of Brexit and the locals (Leavers - those who voted to leave the EU) don't want to be working in the fields.... 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

See govt is trying to encourage more urban farmers ASAP.

Harvesting in the UK is now difficult because of Brexit and the locals (Leavers - those who voted to leave the EU) don't want to be working in the fields.... 

$30m for local farms to grow more, grow faster

(info - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/30m-for-local-farms-to-grow-more-grow-faster)

straitstimes.com-30m-for-local-farms-to-

straitstimes.com-30m-for-local-farms-to-

urgency asap because the need for stable supply chain...eggs not enough...lol.

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, starfinder said:

Agree with your views. Apart from possible health issue, I think there are more benefits. The Earth and nature certainly got a breather.

And I think there is people realize the happiness of life may not necessary tie to wealth or having a busy job.

For us runners, we have already been to many races for the past years. Take this as opportunity to relax those muscles and recovery.

@Starfinder - this is a transition period. Those that are fit amongst us will find other ways to stay fit.

Those that need motivation may actually be finding motivation and those that want to blame the world for all their issues often have mental health issues.  Did 10 different chair-o-cise. Can start from this one. Tried to fit them all in one instagram but my wifi no good, so has been broken down to 5 posts. What 10 chair-o-cises can you do?

Posted (edited)

those time when there is no Covid-19, we are free to exercise at our own will, not subject to the stricter rules of cb sg...they are the most beautiful.

abuthen..

latest:

SG.png

*COVID-19: 16 Apr update*

New cases: 728, mostly from foreign worker dormitories
- Imported: 0
- Cases in community: 48
- Work Permit holders (residing outside dormitories): 26
- Work Permit holders (residing in dormitories): 654

Of new cases, 81% are linked to known clusters, the rest are pending contact tracing

Total cases: 4427
- Hospitalised: 1886 (23 in ICU)
- In community facilities: 1848
- Fatalities: 10
- Total discharged: 683 (Discharged today: 31)

More: go.gov.sg/moh16apr

• 28-day circuit breaker may not be enough if Singaporeans don't play their part, says Masagos
  • UK entends coronavirus lockdown by three weeks
  • Seven US states extend coronavirus shutdown to May 15

Time to consider Virtual Run during cb sg from Orchard Road to Geylang Seria if we need to extend cb sg.

Taken on 12th Apr 2020 (Sun) on the 6th day of Singapore's Circuit Breaker measures

Meanwhile, Times Square in Manhattan, NY...

manhantan-ny.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

latest:

SG.png

Graphs like these are what I call "Shit Stirrers" .

Our numbers shot up mainly due to the testing of foreign workers in their dormitories. If we don't test we won't know who is affected and can't contain the virus properly, right?

We also don't have higher numbers of cases compared to the other countries, which people might be misled into interpreting as that if they don't understand the graph well.

Posted (edited)

Revisit McRitchie Reservior one week later...

Enter from Venus Welcome Centre...aka Windsor Nature Park

156ea661ddb71e2f7.png

Didn't see this the last time...

01f89cc577a43555ec.jpg

Luckily washrooms are available. So drink Toilet water...lol.

21653eda41613c853.md.jpg

Proceed to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve...

Watch your steps...

4817a8740fd903153.jpg

imagine uncle on early morning like 430-5am...

40ea3e61802a0adea.jpg

make sure you have a head LED light ON or Moon is turned ON...

creepy right?...considering there are leaves cracking when you run....wonder are they monkeys or birds or what...

more challenges when your reach SIME track...the rocks are even more....what the....<Fall>....

uncle is ok...everyone talking about this...

good news for exercising for jogging and running during Covid-19 cb sg...

even our bro Runner Kao talks about How Running Changed His Life

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

latest - https://safedistparks.nparks.gov.sg/

updates.jpg

Closure due to Covid-19 (Darker Dots on Map)

nparks.gov.sg-Noticeboard---National-Par

Of course, reminder, water cooler is temporarily not in used.

156ea661ddb71e2f7.png

why91b688e71f70f3f5.jpg

Ok, understood. Bring own water to drink. Bring water and hand sanitisers and use restrooms at home before going to the park👌

Don't be suaku Hokkien (local dialect) colloquialism be a "mountain tortoise"  figuratively country bumpkin and end up drinking Toilet water before Exercise. 

Don't be sia suay  Hokkien (local dialect) colloquialism - embarrassed ourselves.

• Use Restrooms at Home Before Going to the Park.
  • Bring you own Drinking Water.
  • Bring your own Sanitizer to Wash your Hands with Water at Restroom. 
  • Wear Mask Always after Exercise 😷

Just Remember Not to be 2S - suaku and sia suay - when Exercise at Park.

Not to be 2S can also be implemented in future races in the Post Covid-19-Free mess run events. All race participants must bring their personal bottled drinks and hand sanitizers.

Edited by kohpapa

Agree @lonewolf Singapore is one of the few countries actively doing contact tracing (think Germany and South Korea are the only other countries)

So numbers will appear higher, rather than the passive, "let them come into hospital" and then count them as in all other countries. In fact if all other countries actively did contact tracing, think you'll find the numbers in multi-millions. 

Sg's is actively circumventing to reduce burden on the health system

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Endurance event organisers to be given guidelines on outbreak prevention

(info - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/endurance-event-organisers-to-be-given-guidelines-on-outbreak-prevention-12653290)

World Athletics and IIRM form Outbreak Prevention Taskforce for mass events
(info - worldathetics.org)

Presently, there is no legislation regarding regulating the organisation of mass participation endurance running events. This means that anyone or any company can hold a running event for 50,000 as long as they can get the Land Transport Authority and Traffic Police's approval for road closures.

Running, Home Safely - Singapore Medical Association - SMA News (August 2014)

(extract info - https://www.sma.org.sg/UploadedImg/files/Publications - SMA News/4608/Insight 2.pdf)

01118c9d0212cdc899.md.jpg

Most event organisers are able to manage the general business aspects of these events (like marketing, logistics and finance), but they may not have sufficient knowledge and expertise in more technical areas, such as safety and medical support, to address them adequately.

02b27e291e9390728d.jpg

Where there are firms in Singapore offering medical coverage for such events, there is currently no accreditation programme or national regulations that these companies should subscribe and adhere to respectively.

"Awakened" time, local race organisers will have to relook at how they organise mass participation endurance running events [with post Covid-19 strict measures], run safe, home safe, outbreak prevention taskforce, provision of runner's essential needs (hydration and safety) and well-being (injury prevention and medical) during race, accreditation programme or national regulations that these companies must offer races should subscribe and adhere to respectively in shared "social responsibility".

Of course, this would mean, expect to Pay More lah! 😷

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Daily high of 942 new COVID-19 cases reported in Singapore

(CNA News)

channelnewsasia.com-Daily-high-of-942-ne

Singapore...

chart.jpg

casea1963b46eb3c5536.jpg

vs World..

world014814e5e4355532.jpg

vs Asia Total Confirmed Cases...

asia.jpg

unofficial source in picture :
where-are-we.jpg

after China and Japan...

Edited by kohpapa

On 4/17/2020 at 11:54 AM, beast said:

Graphs like these are what I call "Shit Stirrers" .

Our numbers shot up mainly due to the testing of foreign workers in their dormitories. If we don't test we won't know who is affected and can't contain the virus properly, right?

We also don't have higher numbers of cases compared to the other countries, which people might be misled into interpreting as that if they don't understand the graph well.

14 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Agree @lonewolf Singapore is one of the few countries actively doing contact tracing (think Germany and South Korea are the only other countries)

So numbers will appear higher, rather than the passive, "let them come into hospital" and then count them as in all other countries. In fact if all other countries actively did contact tracing, think you'll find the numbers in multi-millions. 

Sg's is actively circumventing to reduce burden on the health system

You are probably referring to @beast post about the numbers because I have not posted any recent comments about it.

I agree that the numbers of reported cases need to be put into proper prospective. And unfortunately, not many of us can do that objectively. 

The thing to remember is that numbers are just presentation of data and can be easily be presented in alternate ways. I do not like to use the way 'manipulated' but all articles that uses numbers presents it in a way that best suit their needs.

A lot of the govt bashers like to compare our numbers with countries like Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea to say that our govt is doing worse because we never mandate wearing of masks earlier bah bah bah.

Really? Let see one way of presenting the data. (As of 18 Apr)

Spore: 5,992 cases 11 Deaths. Mortality rate: 11/5992 = 0.18%

Taiwan: 397 cases. 6 Deaths. Mortality Rate = 1.51%

Hong Kong: 1,022 cases. 4 deaths. Mortality rate = 0.39%

South Korea: 10,653 cases. 232 deaths. Mortality rate = 2.1%

Put it another way, our mortality rate is less than  half of Hong Kong's and nearly 8 times better than Taiwan.

So based on the data I presented above, can I also say that we are doing the best among the 4 former Asia Tigers in dealing with COVID-19? Of cos not but if I were to write a headline that says 'Taiwan's COVID-19's Mortality Rate 8 Times Higher than Singapore's', I wouldn't be wrong either. Right?

To me, the most important number is the R0 (pronounced R-nought) which is the viral reproduction number. Unfortunately, not many leaders or govt officials used it. I vaguely remembered it being mentioned by an academic on the Channel 8 news a few days ago.

The German Chancellor, Dr Angela Merkel (who has a doctorate in physical chemistry) recently won widespread praise for her laymen explanation of this number.

Watch it here if you have not watched it yet. Highly recommended!  >> Angela Merkel uses science background in coronavirus explainer

And for the numbers nerd among us, this article is an excellent introduction to the wonderful world of Epidemiology statistics. (yeah. I admit it, I am a number nerd! :crazysmile:)

“When will it be over?”: An introduction to viral reproduction numbers, R0 and Re

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, kohpapa said:

How Can You Safely Run a Marathon Amidst Coronavirus Fears? We Did the Math (Despite the risks, thousands of runners are still gathering for Sunday's L.A. Marathon)

(info - https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a31265226/la-marathon-coronavirus-math/)

popularmechanics.com-How-Can-You-Safely-

Runners, please take spacing of 6 feet apart...Are You Ready?...Go...Be Safe.

Updated: Spectators also recommended to take spacing of 6 feet apart...Stand from each other...Be Safe

Health Officials Issue COVID-19 Guidance for 2020 LA Marathon

(extract info - https://scvnews.com/health-officials-issue-covid-19-guidance-for-2020-la-marathon/)

recommend.jpg

Use hand santizer prior to Race...Social Distancing...in Marathon Race...

updates:

(extract info - https://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/la-marathon-coronavirus/)

runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com-The-LA

We had a marathon actually ran during Covid-19, Los Angeles Marathon 2020 with strict measures.

Tokyo Marathon 2020 on March 1 (Elites Run only)
japan3f96773aa93586b2.jpg

Marathon Maths - interesting to see how social distancing and safe distancing will be applied for September Races especially Boston Marathon (September 14, Monday).

boston.jpg

Note: 3miles = 5km. Hence, imagine your pen station start can be more than 5km from Start Line on Covid-19 Free race 😷

It will be interesting to know what will the guidelines on outbreak prevention on April 20. Shall update.

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Haha thanks @lonewolf - very useful information - must have really meant you when I meant @beast. Am wondering if many countries get their R0 almost zero but the USA doesn't bother, will that mean anyone coming from the US would be forced into isolation for 14 days to stop a potential outbreak?

@kohpapa - there are demonstrations and protests in Michigan for their circuit breaker / lockdown & Trump wants America great again. Will be interesting to see how many show up. 

Edited by Lady Ice