Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

COVID-19 and its impact on Races

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

haha trust you @kohpapa to find pck ....

fine9440128e9348a82d.jpg

Read lah below...use your brain, use your brain...

Singapore will jail and fine people who do not keep a 1-meter physical distance in public

(info - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/singapore-imposes-jail-and-fines-for-breaches-of-public-social-distancing.html)

cnbc.com-Singapore-will-jail-and-fine-pe

Coronavirus outbreak and its economic aftermath will last ‘at least a year,’ says Singapore minister

cnbc.com-Singapore-will-jail-and-fine-pe

singapore-covid-19-measures-summary-info

15ebe73f382d0743d.jpg

2a1d1bf558ebf8ec0.md.jpg

3d0f5867080b106f2.md.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

I think most races will indicate no refund in T&C. But when unforeseen circumstances like such happens, it is really up to the goodwill of organizers to have refund option.

I believe this will not change. And will I still sign up if it doesn't change, I would say yes.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, starfinder said:

I think most races will indicate no refund in T&C. But when unforeseen circumstances like such happens, it is really up to the goodwill of organizers to have refund option.

I believe this will not change. And will I still sign up if it doesn't change, I would say yes.

Importantly, you must know what you agree when you sign up...and if we were never "awakened" by Covid-19 situation on the issue of Cancel/Postpone or Refund/Bring Forward..we would never know who are the genuine "goodwill" of organizers...if can..in the future, be transparent about T&C..

as Loyalty Runners...we are "awakened"...

And will I still sign up if it doesn't change, I would say yes. Your choice, as good as sign up all races, not selectively...

but others may re-assess and be selective on their choice of race organizers...because they are not currently given any option (no cancel but postpone. otherwise bring forward or transfer to an overseas race, but NO REFUND)...are you affected by those races currently?

OMG! no refund, no sign-up...the same race that was postponed was offered to new participant by March 31..but upon "awakened" by information, said NO.

credit.jpg

You may want to find out from @wwwlimlim why say no, unlike yours, I would say yes. 

Edited by kohpapa

The UK has a 2m distance. My tyre provides a 2m distance ;)...... but stay away from my tyre - no play play

When going running, have been taking a 10m distance from people, don't want to be running into their viral breath ;)

Think Singapore will be learning from the Spanish Flu. From what have read, in 1918 Australia was very successful in controlling the Spanish Flu as they closed their borders, doing  isolation, etc. In 1919 Australia got hit very badly when they got re-infected. It will be interesting what sg  govt will implement along the timeline. The UK will try to get everyone infected over an extended period of time so that everyone eventually has immunity. Think they wanted to originally have a great big infection party (herd immunity), but with the potential that more than the old folk will die, they have changed their tactic and will go for a trickle which means discipline is required to keep the curve flat. 
Why Everything Is Closing For Coronavirus: It's Called 'Flattening ...

So the UK is doing catch and currently trying to change the yellow curve to purple!  Personally think Sg has got it right. So now watch which govts care for their people and watch those that care much more for the money of the very rich..... opps sorry the economy

Posted (edited)

It’s natural to compare the two outbreaks, keeping in mind just how severe the Spanish flu outbreak was. 

While Covid-19 could get much worse, if we fail to adequately adopt measures like social distancing, aggressive testing , and quarantining. It is all about social responsibility.

Keep us updated on what and how UK handles Covid-19, which is a little different from SG. The role of govts are to care for their people, of course, mindful of how Covid-19 has impact the economy. Here in SG is GDP.

When going running, have been taking a 10m distance from people. We don't have issues here, except now we must maintain group of 10 and below, and social distancing at 1m till mid-April

Perhaps, we focus on future races with social distancing, how would that impact races - announcement to register (with transparency with if there a Refund in the event of postponement and cancellation for any reason), rpc venue, reporting to pen, is it going to be more wave starts, race routes must cater for social distancing, finishing at ending, "Move on" maintaing social distancing, exit from race site, keep 10 or 50 or 250 always... 

Definitely, uncle will skip any race this year for reasons that Covid-19 is not free, and understanding pandemic operates in waves, up and down, no idea how many more after the 1st wave - 3 weeks from now. Will there be 2nd or 3rd wave..only the medical experts from WHO can advise us, with the govt implementing advisory and enforcement of rules and laws for non-compliance.

Keep strong and "active" running program...whether 7m or 12m or 20m in home or outdoor. The world will not be the same after this pandemic. 😷

Edited by kohpapa

BTW here is about sneezing... though sneezing is not part of covid19, people who might have it and inadvertently sneeze can spread it

Posted (edited)

As long as there is still no vaccine and cure. As long as new clusters can emerge and the infection won't stop. As long as there are waves expected after another one. As long as WHO did not declare we are Covid-19 free... 

dear @Lady Ice, perhaps we put the all the research of the past, and the fear of the current pandemic aside, otherwise, off-topic discussions, we are not medical experts, nor are we from the WHO, we merely just report...and because the timeline could be months or even years away when recovery can take place...

Which phase are we now?

How much distance to keep? And how are 'self-isolation' and 'quarantine' different?

(info - https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/how-much-distance-should-you-keep-12562110)

cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com-How-muc

Uncle ends this here - last post, shared on thoughts on how Covid-19 actually impact races. Yes, future races will definitely not be the same as what they use to be because of Covid-19..."sanatized" with social distancing with responsibility...wondered how that is going to be like?

We are "awakened", as a community to stand united...

be kinder to mother earth, just like how we had been protected when we once were stuck

and we still manage to go through the crisis...

and to the fronline - health staff  🤗

best wishes to all...here at this forum thread..

Edited by kohpapa

Saw a few posts overseas about running around their garden, or house... and even on the balcony... it's really not easy, can imagine the kind of mental torture when they are deprived of running due to lockdown... 

Thank you @kohpapa. Doing that social media thing where read and share and understand opinions....will stop. Think I should go do some work :)

@AutumnRunner runners have been doing that in the UK. Quite a few have substantial gardens to do so.

On 3/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, Lady Ice said:

Thank you @kohpapa. Doing that social media thing where read and share and understand opinions....will stop. Think I should go do some work :)

@AutumnRunner runners have been doing that in the UK. Quite a few have substantial gardens to do so.

Agree.... I think really have to think about worst case scenario if lockdown is ever carried out...

What has been interesting here is that the neighbourhood is making more of an effort to help each other. Volunteer groups have been set up for people who are self isolating and to help our front lone workers get stuff. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Agree.... I think really have to think about worst case scenario if lockdown is ever carried out...

From a runner in a city under lockdown... I'd suggest you get a treadmill. 🙂

Before this pandemic, I've always been toying with the  idea of getting one (for typhoon season up here where I am), but since my philospphy is that "running is cheap and free" I figured the hefty price tag (SG $1000-3000) for a treadmill would be a waste of money.

But who would've known a pandemic like this would happen right?

Good thing I have some free weights (dumbells) and a spin bike for cross training, and I'm still running loops insde the house! 🤣 

I'm still thinking about one or two events for the next half of this year, but I really doubt this will be over even by then. The more reaslistic scenario is that countries may be facing a possible 2nd or even 3rd wave of infections... so perhaps I might just consider the whole of 2020 as a write off 😅

Edited by RaijinFJ

4 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

I'm still thinking about one or two events for the next half of this year, but I really doubt this will be over even by then. The more reaslistic scenario is that countries may be facing a possible 2nd or even 3rd wave of infections... so perhaps I might just consider the whole of 2020 as a write off 😅

I had already written the 2020 running calendar off... 

Even if this blows over sooner than expected, the economy will still time to recover and I don't think taking part in a mass run will be something of a priority to many...

1 hour ago, beast said:

I had already written the 2020 running calendar off... 

Even if this blows over sooner than expected, the economy will still time to recover and I don't think taking part in a mass run will be something of a priority to many...

Yes. I had also written it off. Not just for running but probably for any large scale events like F1, Tennis, Football, Basketball etc.. 

I agree that in the immediate aftermath, the situation with regards to mass running events is cloudy at best and possibly grim at worst.

As I mentioned, mass runs are discretionary expenses. It is something that we will spend money on only after all our basic needs are satisfied. And during the post-pandemic economic recovery phase, discretionary spending will be greatly reduced.

Companies and sponsors will also operate on the same wavelengths. Companies struggling with economic survival probably can't be bother with corporate sponsorship  when their bottom line is hit badly and they are facing an existential threat.

And what about the event organises? How many of them will still be around to organise mass running events? Some will probably survive but there will surely be casualties. Maybe even races with a long history will need to re-calibrate once the dust settled. 

The world post-COVID-19 is probably going to be quite different to what we have experience over the last decade. 

I still have 2 races which have been postpone. Ground Zero Run and Safari Zoo Run. 

I hope this crisis would have subsided by then, if not got to wait some years for the Safari Run. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

Ei guys, and I think kohpapa will be particularly interested in this:

The Boston Marathon is offering a refund option for the first time in its history:
https://www.baa.org/information-registered-participants-boston-marathon-and-baa-5k

Already previous post already said last post already, and yet again invited uncle to reply...tsk..tsk..tsk... @RaijinFJ

baa.org-Information-for-Registered-Parti

yes, latest from here SG to all who overseas...

we are under "strict restrictions" or Circuit Breaker to flatten the curve...because we are in Wave 2 due to a spike in "unlinked" Covid-19 cases and local community or "community transmission" can become a concern...and avoid further or minimum contacts will be the best measures...

Source: CNA Asia reports

channelnewsasia.com-Most-workplaces-to-c

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I agree that in the immediate aftermath, the situation with regards to mass running events is cloudy at best and possibly grim at worst.

As I mentioned, mass runs are discretionary expenses. It is something that we will spend money on only after all our basic needs are satisfied. And during the post-pandemic economic recovery phase, discretionary spending will be greatly reduced.

Companies and sponsors will also operate on the same wavelengths. Companies struggling with economic survival probably can't be bother with corporate sponsorship  when their bottom line is hit badly and they are facing an existential threat.

And what about the event organises? How many of them will still be around to organise mass running events? Some will probably survive but there will surely be casualties. Maybe even races with a long history will need to re-calibrate once the dust settled. 

Yes, priority should be directed to reviving tthe economy and getting our lives back on track.

Running is cheap and free though. Major organized races might have to take a backseat, but we can still run, and having simple, no frills events isn't out of the question---> let me illustrare by sharing past experiences:

In the old days, there were times when groups of my fellow runners would organize a simple, local run. Someone would measure a course with either their car odometer or bike, then 10 to 30 of us would gather and run/race with each other. Everybody timed themselves with their own digital watch. There were no aid stations either- you brought your own or stopped at a convenience store along the way if you wanted, it was up to you. If it was a long race (over 21k) sometimes some of the group would volunteer not to run and bring a pickup truck/van with a 5 gallon container of water midway and that was it. The guy with the fastest time, or who obviously finished ahead was the winner. The prize was simple - either a technical shirt or something useful to a runner, or was treated from the group's contributions to a free breakfast or lunch (since we all ate together afterwards).

We all waited for the last runner, and everything was on an honesty system. It won't satisfy any athletic standards/records of course, but we had fun just the same, all for the love of running, and it cost almost nothing! 😜

We'd join organized (commercial) races at the time only for the purpose of getting an "official time" for our own personal record/best (PR or PB) 😁

13 hours ago, starfinder said:

I still have 2 races which have been postpone. Ground Zero Run and Safari Zoo Run. 

I hope this crisis would have subsided by then, if not got to wait some years for the Safari Run. 

Hopefully, but it doesn't look like it will. I like what Prince Charles said after his recovery from COVID-19 though:

"None of us can say when this will end, but end it will. Until it does, let us try and live with hope, and with faith in ourselves and each other, look forward to better times to come"

And that's straight from the mouth of an elderly coronavirus survivor!

Edited by RaijinFJ

23 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Already previous post already said last post already, and yet again invited uncle to reply...tsk..tsk..tsk... @RaijinFJ

Oops! 🤪 I guess I wasn't able to backread or proabably missed it, I don't have my glasses!!!  LOL 😝

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, RaijinFJ said:

Oops! 🤪 I guess I wasn't able to backread or proabably missed it, I don't have my glasses!!!  LOL 😝

Marina Bay Sands announces unprecedented temporary closure from 7 April - 4 May 2020

(source: timeout.com)

timeout.com-Marina-Bay-Sands-announces-t

timeout.com-Marina-Bay-Sands-announces-t

Great, this Marina Bay route will be "cleared" for uncle to run next week..

sands.jpg

or you can do Treadmill Virtual Run...Marina Bay...wherever you are in another part of the Mother Earth..

Credit to :  reyskidude.jpg

It is with "medical discovery information", every cough or sneeze is beyond 1m at least....pleese read previous post by @Lady Ice  sharing 😷...thank you...

cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com-Is-ther

social-distancing.jpg

Don't worry to have activated uncle...uncle shall just share...1 month WFH (Work From Home) from next week....

Remember: Do our part with disciplined social distancing and responsibility....

and if we have the following..

symptoms-covid-coronavirus-wuhan-virus.j

please report to local health and medical centre...

safe-page-002.jpg

Let's get united...we want to be Covid-19 Free! 😷

Edited by kohpapa

Its surreal. Countries have shut borders and businesses are closing. Its just what like our elderly neighbor said...

She experienced something like this only one other time in her long life, and that was during the Second World War.

The whole world is in a war, but in this one,  the enemy cannot be seen. It's making them sick, killing people or driving them bankrupt. 😱 Worrying and frightening times, but its always darkest before the dawn. We have to keep a postive attitude and carry on as best we can.

Posted (edited)

Sports stop from Tuesday (April 7, 2020)...

(info extract from : https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/sports-stop-from-tuesday)

public parks and open-air stadiums remain open...bearing in mind to keep social distancing...

straitstimes.com-Sports-stop-from-Tuesda

straitstimes.com-Sports-stop-from-Tuesda

Shoik, uncle's trail running routes in NPs remain "open", together with PCNs for everything road walk/jog/run/bike...

All public swimming pools will be closed...open-water swim (option) then ECP or Sentosa..

Sentosa
sentosa.jpg

East Coast Park
ECP.jpg

Not recommended for those who never or experienced in open-water swim...

BECAUSE

you will need to check the weather condition and wave/current direction bearing in mind on the local monsoon season, with low and high tides...wah...

myweather2.com-Singapore-Weather-Forecas

another-scenario7bca56569ed637f5.jpg

mmm...if uncle would to be at ECP... swim clockwise or anti-clockwise will be more challenging...because it must not have too "exhausive" and "tiring" session because of Covid-19...just 250m will do...equal to 5 laps of pool...and what if under low tide..what if under high tide..

If you don't know which...then better don't think about open water swim....you have been warned.

Please note: this is only information provided only for what uncle would only able to do  (non-exhausive) Sports during Covid-19" Circuit Breaker. It is not meant for anyone who has not been trained in multisports as well as with the local knowledge of weather and seasonal conditions. In normal non Covid-19 period, multi-sports (eg MetaSprints Triathlon) will be held in April and May. So are all other Running Races (such as 2XU Compression Run and Sundown Marathon Singapore) and Biking Races (such as OCBC Singapore Cyling).

Important is keep "strong and fit" but not too tired after every Sport session.😷

Edited by kohpapa