kohpapa

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2020 - 5 Dec [Grand Finale]

39 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by this, but one gripe I have about SCSM is the route congestion, and the fact they're not strict in placement at the starting pens (even if you're not really qualified to be in that wave).  I even came across a blog where the runner was in wave "B" and shamelessly wrote:

In terms of running etiquette (which is universal among runners, regardless of country), that's a pretty rotten attitude to take to a race. 😏 

This came about because the runner falsely declared a much faster finishing time during registration, thus enabling him to enter a faster wave.

There had been some discussions on how to tighten this, among this is asking runners to prove a valid finishing time evidence during registration. I am guessing this will involve a lot of administrative manpower to validate which the organizer is seemingly not interested to implement. 

I checked the finish time from the bib number posted. It was over 6++ hrs 🙈🙉🙊

I'm not putting down the blogger for their time, but placing yourself as an obstruction like that in wave B (despite being fully aware of what you're only capable of), was a pretty nasty thing to do. It wasn't some new runner either, so even if someone else registered for them, they ought to have known better and joined the later waves at the back.

But you're right though, verifying information would entail additional administrative work & costs.

The problem though is that aside from Wave A, it would make the whole wave start thing pointless for the rest of the waves if people would keep mis-declaring themselves. Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by this, but one gripe I have about SCSM is the route congestion, and the fact they're not strict in placement at the starting pens (even if you're not really qualified to be in that wave).  I even came across a blog where the runner was in wave "B" and shamelessly wrote:

In terms of running etiquette (which is universal among runners, regardless of country), that's a pretty rotten attitude to take to a race. 😏 

Lest I be misunderstood, I'm not a fast runner, but its the selfish attitude of some other runners that can really be a let down sometimes. So far, I've always crossed the finish line of SCSM wondering how much better I would've been able to do if I didn't keep coming across those guys who go 4-5 abreast on the course with nary a care for the people they're blocking and trying to get around them. (end of rant). 😑

u r not alone thinking about this... i ranted a bit too about my experience in a few FM races (not just SCSM), where i see people strolling (some couples hand in hand somemore) at the famous East Coast park (where it seemed easy to do a short cut there).... I was soaking wet at 28-30km while coming out of ECP but they were strolling in front of me.... 

I slowly got used to it over time and just forget about it.... hahah

17 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

I checked the finish time from the bib number posted. It was over 6++ hrs 🙈🙉🙊

I'm not putting down the blogger for their time, but placing yourself as an obstruction like that in wave B (despite being fully aware of what you're only capable of), was a pretty nasty thing to do. It wasn't some new runner either, so even if someone else registered for them, they ought to have known better and joined the later waves at the back.

But you're right though, verifying information would entail additional administrative work & costs.

The problem though is that aside from Wave A, it would make the whole wave start thing pointless for the rest of the waves if people would keep mis-declaring themselves. Just my 2 cents.

To be completely honest with you, I do that too. But I didn't declare a jump from Wave G to B like this guy, I declared about an hour earlier so that I moved from Wave F to D.

Being in the last 2 pens is more mentally and physically draining. You will encounter a lot more slower runners who will tend to walk, and you will run into a higher risk of support stations that run of water or food/gel supplies. Being in the front waves motivate you not to slow to a walk and continue to slow jog, as well as ensure that there are still sufficient water and supply support at the stations.

I know it is not a nice thing to do that. But I have been through too much bad experiences being in the last pens that I would rather cheat a bit and be placed in an earlier pen. Be assured though that many Singaporean runners are still honest and stick to their own pens and finishing timings.

• Like 1

What I have gathered from the press conference:

- Everyone will sign up through a SCSM Virtual Club: https://www.sgmarathonvc.com/ 

- Start of with a 15 week series of virtual runs and activities, where runners will earn points/credits whenever they complete a run/activity, and these can be exchanged for discounts on official/ sponsored merchandise.

- The runs will take you to different parts of Singapore (not sure if they really need to be completed onsite).

- Activities will include innovative aspects/experience like VR Augmented run where you can pace with, I am assuming, a ghost runner

- End off the series with a finale virtual run over a SCSM weekend (I am assuming everyone will have to partake a pre-determined run during those 2 days)

- Emphasis is to build a more community kind of spirit among participants. Groups can be formed as running clubs/companies and be ranked.

Honestly, I think the concept is great... but I had a look at the website, and the challenges and rewards are not exactly very exciting...It is more catered to new or very casual runners... They should had different sets of challenges and rewards for new and experienced runners...

Edited by beast
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

A bit like Strava club, no?

Anyway, will have to figure out how to fit in the Craze runs with these runs. haha

Assuming there are no limits to the number of times you can upload for Craze Ultra... you may have to stop and pause your runs more often to complete the 3km, 5km, 10km and time based SCSM challenges...

Oh, I don't want to be misinterpreted here. My main point is not about a runner's ability. We're all fighting our own personal battles on the course, so fast or slow its ok...😇 We're all runners.

It was just the callous indifference to others that just struck me wrong with the blog I mentioned.

Anyways, I've come across worse over here. 😅Some not only rudely block the route taking group selfies in the middle of the course, (at times) they'd even think you're the one bothering them if you try to go around them LOL 😂

thanks @beast for the update... the pointers are what i heard as well... i have a feel that the VR Augmented run will be in their app or website where we will start the "video" once we start the run along the designated route... probably when we reached certain distance, it will prompt us to listen to some history of that landmark....

*just read that running their recommended route is optional....

Edited by AutumnRunner
12 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

Something like a virtual amazing race Singapore, or that Pokemon app game I guess. Interesting! 😉

hahah.... i saw in the events tab that some races are time based while some are distanced based.... its interested to see which suits u best and one can register for that to give it a shot...

Took another quick glance at the rewards tab, for everything that we wish to get, we will have to purchase even though we have earned enough credits....

57 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Wouldn't it be a dream to run "more" to earn "more" ?!

OhMyGod,

If the goods selling price compare to retail price, then is RunMoreEarnMore.

If the goods selling price compare to online/ promo price, then is RunMorePayMore.

Amazon, Shopee, Lazada, ... give the best price, no need RunMorePayMore. 

OhMyGod,

Runners RunMorePayMore

StanChart marathon to allow virtual participation; race format to be confirmed. (CNA News)

channelnewsasia.com-StanChart-marathon-t

channelnewsasia.com-StanChart-marathon-t

SCSM Virtual Club...more information coming...

facebook.com-Standard-Chartered-Singapor

Reaction/Comments from https://www.facebook.com/SGmarathon/

The Virtual Club is seperate from the year-end race! Do stay tuned...

uncle is utterly confused with the announcement (as expressed by those from FB)...already never interested in anything Virtual (Reality or otherwise)...more of community run initiative...so so lah!

Interested only in Real Run (year-end)...to be announced...sorry to hype your interest...

btw, Taipei International Marathon 2020 is Real Run as announced..."Dare to Breathe"...December 20, 2020

taipei.jpg

Registration via lottery...announced from 18/8...

Real Run (Race)...Real Routes...only on 20/12/20.

01a6ff70a545115cf3.jpg

02c95c5bd85c2f42c0.jpg

Don't waste money lah on SCSM VR1...VR2...don't know how many more series will there be...

start.jpg

RUN more EARN more CREDIT...for Virtual Clubs...agreed...money burnt...for medals, tees and certificates...SCSM MERCHANDISE..

Perhaps, embracing Virtual Run means for us presently is to adapt simply "to help keep us motivated, connected, have a little fun and do our part to in keeping up everyone’s spirits that are negatively impacted by the craziness that is swirling through our life and country because of Covid-19"...

So, looking on the positively from the SCSM organiser's effort in assisting the Run Community to have spirit up with the series of SCSM VRs...well done with the innovative and creative marketing effort...👍

Edited by kohpapa
4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

thanks @beast for the update... the pointers are what i heard as well... i have a feel that the VR Augmented run will be in their app or website where we will start the "video" once we start the run along the designated route... probably when we reached certain distance, it will prompt us to listen to some history of that landmark....

*just read that running their recommended route is optional....

Augment reality? Does this mean you pulled out your phone to run? I had a bad fall while running that requires me to visit the ER. Reason was i was looking at the phone navigation while running, and I tripped over a kerb.

2 hours ago, kohpapa said:

StanChart marathon to allow virtual participation; race format to be confirmed. (CNA News)

The Virtual Club is seperate from the year-end race! Do stay tuned...

uncle is utterly confused with the announcement (as expressed by those from FB)...already never interested in anything Virtual (Reality or otherwise)...more of community run initiative...so so lah!

Interested only in Real Run (year-end)...to be announced...sorry to hype your interest...

btw, Taipei International Marathon 2020 is Real Run as announced..."Dare to Breathe"...December 20, 2020

Don't waste money lah on SCSM VR1...VR2...don't know how many more series will there be...RUN more EARN more CREDIT...for Virtual Clubs...agreed...money burnt...for medals, tees and certificates...SCSM MERCHANDISE..

No need to be confused...

From the looks of it, the organizer is still bidding for a possibility that a road run will get the green light by December... If it doesn't, then it will be just a final virtual run during a weekend when runners will run on their own. Since runners are already using the virtual club for 15 weeks already it will be easy for them to use it to run 1 more.

15 weeks, so you will run up to VR15 excluding other challenges...since it is free anyone can just jump in to participate... agree that the credits are quite worthless at this point unless it can be exchanged for something nicer later on...

Edited by beast
20 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

To be honest, personally I feel that the information we received this afternoon was disappointing, either a gimmick, or at least a bit confusing... It feels like a commercial event, rather than a running event... 😰

Agree... I find it confusing as well as the details of the December run is not known at this point... why not just straight up make it a virtual run?

The virtual club idea is good, and it can be used as a prelude or link to next year's SCSM....people can participate and use the credits to earn discounts over next year's registration fees, merchandise etc.

Good to 'see' everyone here again! I was not expecting any SCM run this year bt ehem, seems like it might happen in whichever format.... Bt seriously, it is hard to clock in a full marathon based on OTOT manz. E psychological barrier and temptation to drop off is higher. And ya, have nt been running religiously due to covid. Guess it is harder to kickstart e engine until more details are revealed

good morning, dear lady @Pearlina, pop-in once a year here...only for SCSM...

almost or about 100 days from now....SCSM 2020, besides SCSM Virtual Club...

Status of Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (real run) will be determined by 'safe management measures' and advisory on Covid-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019)...

The Straists Times, Jul 3, 2020 (Covid-19 Special)

A decision on whether the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) will proceed as planned in December "will be guided by the prevailing safe management measures in Singapore", organisers have told The Straits Times.

Asked about the status of the annual event, an Ironman Asia spokesman said: "The health and well-being of our community, runners and supporters is of utmost importance to us as we continue to work closely with relevant government agencies to consider the best way forward for SCSM 2020, given the evolving Covid-19 situation.

"Our decision will be guided by the prevailing safe management measures in Singapore."

0001ce74ea54ad4f2924.jpg

00027f10f42c72362b9a.jpg

just wait for more updates...stay healthy, stay safe, avoid crowd...

likely MA-RA-TH-ON... is now longer 42km... but 4 x 10km Virtual Run (Community/Club/Family/Friends/Social)...maybe/probably....

in recent runs... with Trail Run Races...postponed or cancelled  or Virtual....uncle's met and befriended Community/Club/Family/Friends/Social forest friends....always responsive to any race updates...

monkey.jpg

wa...woooo....grrrrrrr....wat...no gel...bananas...2020...

no worry, got lots of 4 x 10km Virtual Runners/Climbers...some could also swim.......

Edited by kohpapa
13 hours ago, Ender said:

Augment reality? Does this mean you pulled out your phone to run? I had a bad fall while running that requires me to visit the ER. Reason was i was looking at the phone navigation while running, and I tripped over a kerb.

oh man... that must be a real bad fall... i don't carry phones in the past yrs of running till this year where i have to do safeentry.... do stay safe from these phones and keep running...