kohpapa

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2020 - 5 Dec [Grand Finale]

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

It has started and good luck to all who took part... read that there are prizes as well to grab for the fast ones too... 

I will start mine tomorrow and hope to complete the HM in the morning...

I just did my 10 km this morning at 8.00 am. Before me already got finishers completed their runs 😁

Hi all, just drop by to share uncle's 1-day conclusion of 2020 SCSM [Grand Finale] for Double Up Challenge. Rain this morning disrupted uncle's first 10KM before 6:30am. So, completed 21.1KM in the afternoon, unusual humid, even though the rain stopped hours later...

kohpapa-SCSM-Grand-Finale.jpg

Heading to KLSCM 2020 next...anyone interested to take part in the Virtual Race from next Saturday after 12am..uncle shall specially be guest there...

Bye from this great Forum thread. Wish all who yet to complete any challenges, just do it! 😁 

Edited by kohpapa

@kohpapa - great work. Have completed my 10km.... though I stopped to talk to a guy who was picking up rubbish. He told me every 2 weeks he goes along his road to pick up nearly 2 black bin bags of rubbish. He thinks more bins are required. I said that it is probably from people tossing things out the car window and that really the producers should be made to pay a return fee for every can/bottle returned.

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

I see... haa... i managed to complete the double distance too.. what a toll it took on my legs... and same with @kohpapa, my sat morning run became super drenched and pace totally off...

I ran according to the AR route, started from Orchard. Pace was also slower as got to run along shop houses. But i think more important to me is to end the  2020 with a unique route that gives good memories 😃

Catching up with old posts! I signed up (pay) for the HM package just to collect e medal. Abit expensive considering no h20, bananas and gels at e running route. Hope it does not rain next sun. I am aiming to do e run at 5am+ (recreating my own scm run on 1st sun in dec). My finishing pt will be at gardens by e bay. Then i can collect my medal from e runner entitlement except no cold towel, chips, bananas waiting for me. Alas, i miss e good old days!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Pearlina said:

Catching up with old posts! I signed up (pay) for the HM package just to collect e medal. Abit expensive considering no h20, bananas and gels at e running route. Hope it does not rain next sun. I am aiming to do e run at 5am+ (recreating my own scm run on 1st sun in dec). My finishing pt will be at gardens by e bay. Then i can collect my medal from e runner entitlement except no cold towel, chips, bananas waiting for me. Alas, i miss e good old days!!!! 

Hi, you may want to consider running the HM according to the AR route. More memorable as you capture the 20 landmarks. But it will likely be a slower run (at least for me) as you run along the pavements and stop at traffic junctions...

I did a 10 km of the route and will probably complete the remaining 11 km next week. Well, just a suggestion...😁

Submitting my results too:

122608874_32kLSD-11-29-20.thumb.jpg.9ac93408eff41fe141cd2bea1420a6b4.jpg

I had to do the entire distance in one go. I don’t know if the extra 1.47kms would disqualify me, but I’m not actually even registered, so I guess it doesn’t matter. 🤭 Besides, it seems a shame to already go 31k and not do a little extra to make it a 20 miler (32k) right? 😜

Partly cloudy the first 20km, then drizzles for the next 12km, so perhaps conditions here were the same as there in Singapore. It was probably a good thing, since I only drank twice for the whole duration (500ml Powerade at 16kms and 500ml Pocari at 22kms). That's the thing with virtual races though, you're practically self supporting. I used to be pretty "gung-ho" about that, but nowadays, I'd rather not have to worry how I'm going to drink and eat! 😜

4 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Submitting my results too:

122608874_32kLSD-11-29-20.thumb.jpg.9ac93408eff41fe141cd2bea1420a6b4.jpg

I had to do the entire distance in one go. I don’t know if the extra 1.47kms would disqualify me, but I’m not actually even registered, so I guess it doesn’t matter. 🤭 Besides, it seems a shame to already go 31k and not do a little extra to make it a 20 miler (32k) right? 😜

Partly cloudy the first 20km, then drizzles for the next 12km, so perhaps conditions here were the same as there in Singapore. It was probably a good thing, since I only drank twice for the whole duration (500ml Powerade at 16kms and 500ml Pocari at 22kms). That's the thing with virtual races though, you're practically self supporting. I used to be pretty "gung-ho" about that, but nowadays, I'd rather not have to worry how I'm going to drink and eat! 😜

How are you submitting the results? You were supposed to link a GPS enabled device to your account in the Virtual Club, so the results get automatically submitted if they were valid.

In any case, the results won't count because: 
1) You need to split them up between 21km and 10km. They are for different submissions.
2) Results with more than 1km over 21km and 10km will not be counted. Unless it is, say 21.9km and 10.57km, but I don't think you can split up the results anymore.

Nevertheless, good job on your 32km run!

14 hours ago, Pearlina said:

Too bad I have already chosen my collection time in the same morning (you would have finished your HM by then) otherwise I wouldn't mind bringing you the cold towel, chips and bananas you deserve 😅

I went for the 10km AR run yesterday, so just some short notes on the experience:

- Registration is pretty simple. You just need to register a Rouvy account online (don't even have to download the app), link it to the Virtual Club and book a slot via ActiveSg (can do this online too).

- Upon reaching you will be asked to login to the Rouvy account on their tablet and show them your confirmation of the booking. You will also be given a device to tie to your shoe, and FREE 100+ and mineral water (the staff says you can ask for more water if you need, so I guess its free flow). Also, nobody was using any of the 5 machines except me, and this was on a Sunday.

- As with the usual threadmill running, you adjust your speed until it is at a pace you are comfortable with. Usually you can go at a pace much faster than you can do on the roads.

- The AR was acceptable. Nothing mind blowing or even close to actually feel like you are at the real place running, but it was fine. Just don't except any cutting edge realism jumping out from the tablet. The environment rolled on pretty smoothly, though they were some funny glitches like my AR runner disappearing in a few instances, road dividers and markers suddenly popping up, and you can actually run "into" things like a ghost. The road you were running on was supposedly not closed for your run, so you get vehicles taking over you on your sides.

- Lastly, I vaguely remembered that during the SCSM press conference it was mentioned that the AR experience would include something like running with a ghost pacer of sorts. Well, that obviously didn't happen.

@beast It’s ok, as I said, I didn’t register LOL! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I’ve just been tagging along and doing the SCSM runs with you guys this month as a show of solidarity with SG Runners. From my Nov 6 post in another thread:

On 11/6/2020 at 4:52 PM, RaijinFJ said:

What I had in mind was something simple, without any apps [or fancy registrations] needed

Just a friendly, noncompetitive group run, synchronized virtually since we're all in the same world time zone. Then we each just post a screenshot of our GPS watch display here... Something like a show of solidarity as runners, even though we all can't run together in times like these. 😊 

I’m one of those runners of the camp that doesn’t regard virtual races highly (nothing against it though, lest I be misunderstood). Each organizer has their own recording method/app/registration system, etc. Perhaps I’m old fashioned, but running need not be that complicated- it’s as simple as lacing up your shoes and heading out your front door.

So if that means I’ll have to wait till 2022 until I can finally run a real marathon or ultra again, well, that’s what I’ll do! 😅

Edited by RaijinFJ

@kohpapa Do your coaching commitments really require you to leave the forum? 😧

If it's a matter of principle/ethics, perhaps you can just refrain from commenting in the "Local Races", "Overseas Races" and "Sports News" threads, so there won't be any conflict of interest/politics involved.

You may have signed a contract, but you are runner first and foremost... they can't take that from you right? As a runner, IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with you continuing to post in all the threads under "Training Corner".  If they make a fuss, you can honestly say "I'm a runner, what's wrong with comparing notes with other runners? I'm actually becoming a better coach with the exchange of information!"

humbly, yes and no...

uncle's IAAF certification level 1 is a community coaching (National-level), and because uncle is also a Technical Official [IAAF certification level 1] meaning uncle is certified Coaching and Officiating/Umpiring of races sanctioned by Singapore Athletics (which is also an Affiliate of World Athletics) This is just passionate time, not full-time, of course uncle receive allowances for attendance and contribution at SA. 😀

Positively, 2021 likely will have more competitions as we officials had recently done 50 persons only in per session (1/2 day) with no spectators allowed...and we have done this over this recent weekends...and good news, athletics events can be held under this condition...during Covid-19.. expecting that school sports shall also kick-off in 2021...

Recent days, uncle received PMs from our World Ekiden 2020 Elite sgRunners, Team members who had demonstrated tremendous strength, tenacity and challenge in overcoming the struggle to do virtual race 5KM or 10KM respectively with their PBs.

Virtual Race is actually "Real" - without the support of hydration, nutrition, toilet breaks, sometimes against the worst weather conditions, first-aids are not provided...and uncle knows that...if 2020 [Covid-19] really had brought a mindset..."let's wait for the Real Run-in place to happen"...then nothing actually moves

but some of us just went ahead...why not give Virtual Race a try...and we witnessed a change in mindset...well, World Ekiden 2020 Elite sgRunners got it..congratulations...

So uncle was invited by Team sgRunners members why not uncle contribute some insights (or lobangs) about Virtual Races, Training Corner.

As long as uncle doesn't engage any topic sensitive discussion about Singapore Athletics or even any of Athletes who are also from SA, then uncle will be welcomed to contribute..checked internally with SA Management Committee, in-principle, uncle just need to be careful with others [who may still bear grudges or with "malicious" intensions]... 

In fact, the return of uncle would be better as served in "Community Coaching" to give advise...Training Corner...

if all would welcome uncle back to play this role, then, uncle should be most honored to return...otherwise, shall stay off this running forum for the conflict of interest...discussion purely for the sake of "right" or "wrong"...social media...it is often the place to get misunderstood...and to create misunderstanding unknowingly...

we always take a vote on decision in consensus...just like our World Ekiden 2020 sgRunners, we have a 3 yes including @Lady Ice, don't know about the rest of the sgRunners Community?

Edited by kohpapa

We are all in the midst of the Finale so hope everyone had fun so far... it felt weird after i completed it last weekend and realised that there is no more challenges or races to sign up... probably got too used to it over the many weeks...

Anyway there is a huge discount going on for the mechandised items online.. grab while u can...

7 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Aiyoh - just say 4 yes.... am part of the team :D

Uncle come and play any time any day  😛 

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

We are all in the midst of the Finale so hope everyone had fun so far... it felt weird after i completed it last weekend and realised that there is no more challenges or races to sign up... probably got too used to it over the many weeks...

We can just “do it yourself” (DIY) our own runs here in SG runners. Who knows, it might even evolve into a real race someday (for example, *drumroll* “The TyreLady 10k!!!”) Actually, that has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? 😇

Finisher medal is… a used tyre!!! That may be a little “tiring” to wear around the neck though! LOL~ !!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Edited by RaijinFJ
Edited spelling of Tyre (tire)- British English vs. US English LOL
2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

We can just “do it yourself” (DIY) our own runs here in SG runners. Who knows, it might even evolve into a real race someday (for example, *drumroll* “The TyreLady 10k!!!”) Actually, that has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? 😇

Finisher medal is… a used tyre!!! That may be a little “tiring” to wear around the neck though! LOL~ !!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Not easy to be so self discipline.   Haaa... can blbe new tyre instead of used tyre? Haaa. 

On 12/1/2020 at 5:30 AM, RaijinFJ said:

Hmm a TyreLady Run 😍 But no tyre round the neck....Alamak

image.jpeg.86b23640876b7237dcc1232f5d5f8d73.jpeg

Also  @AutumnRunner nothing new. How about upcycling and creating a stylish necklace 🤩 

20+ Tire necklaces ideas | tube necklace, jewelry, bicycle jewelry