Sign in to follow this  
kohpapa

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2020 - 5 Dec - 6 Dec (Sat - Sun)

10 hours ago, starfinder said:

Yes, the organizers probably wouldn't bother to check on the majority of us recreational runners. They will probably verify the elite ones, especially those podium runners.

11 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Yes there were timing mats at the key points as I recall. However, I think people who are minded to cheat probably wouldn’t care about this. As such split timings are not verified at the end point, they would already got their hands on the finisher tees and medals. Very few actually verify online records. Anyway records online probably remain online only for a few years at most. We just have to accept there will always be such people. I’m just a recreational, middle of the pack runner so it doesn’t affect me. 

True, the organizers won't bother with us mere mortals, but ito my mind, those (hopefully few) cheaters tarnish the reputation of the entire race- Gold label IAAF certification notwithstanding. It also cheapens the finisher shirts and medals too. IMHO, they ought to crack down harshly on those guys. There must be some CCTV cameras on the route perhaps? They would be easy to spot.

By the way, there was one thing that somewhat upset me in the 2018 edition of SCSM though.

Somewhere at the halfway point where the 21k runners head to the finish line and separate from us marathoners, I saw about 9 to10 UNOPENED gel packets just carelessly tossed together in a heap in on the course. The brand was unfamiliar to me, but it was the ones handed out at the aid stations.

Some "KIASU" 21k runner probably grabbed handfuls and stuffed his/her pockets too. Now that they were just a km or two from finishing,and realizing they didn't need that many in the first place, they just discarded all of them just like that before sprinting to the finish. How unbelievably selfish😡 I wanted to pick them up to use (since I had 21kms more to go), but there was no way to sensibly wash & rinse the packets before using so I just ran on..

I know they were handed out for free at the aid stations, and (techinically) paid for through our registration fees, but such a waste!

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

After 2017's fiasco, Ironman improved the course checks a lot and also harder to skip the loops.... although there were a couple of runners who decided to go under the ropes for the loop back at ECP in 2019. Expect those runners will get a DNF.   

Personally, I feel those who were invited up the bus were not necessary cheats. They were either too tired or exceeded the cut off times and did not deliberately cheat. Frankly, if I were one of these runners being transported to near the finish line, I would cross it too to get my entitlements to keep as a souvenir. Though I will just tell my friends the truth I didn't run the entire course. As a DNF, I won't be affecting the ranking of other runners too.

Those who swap bibs, take short cut etc, these are the real cheats.

46 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

By the way, there was one thing that somewhat upset me in the 2018 edition of SCSM though.

Somewhere at the halfway point where the 21k runners head to the finish line and separate from us marathoners, I saw about 9 to10 UNOPENED gel packets just carelessly tossed together in a heap in on the course. The brand was unfamiliar to me, but it was the ones handed out at the aid stations.

Don't know why, but seems the gels didn't work for me. What worked for me were the bananas actually. The bananas did give me energy and a 'full stomach' after 25 km to last to the end.

5 hours ago, starfinder said:

Personally, I feel those who were invited up the bus were not necessary cheats. They were either too tired or exceeded the cut off times and did not deliberately cheat. Frankly, if I were one of these runners being transported to near the finish line, I would cross it too to get my entitlements to keep as a souvenir. Though I will just tell my friends the truth I didn't run the entire course. As a DNF, I won't be affecting the ranking of other runners too.

Those who swap bibs, take short cut etc, these are the real cheats.

It has not been done since Ironman took over as organiser. If you did not meet the cut off, you dnf. Since 2018 there is a tail runner. If you cannot keep up with the tail runner you were removed from the course.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:00 PM, starfinder said:

Don't know why, but seems the gels didn't work for me. What worked for me were the bananas actually. The bananas did give me energy and a 'full stomach' after 25 km to last to the end.

Of course, I would always prefer real food over some "artificial" goop too.

Some of the marathons in Japan are nice. At some of the aid stations, they often have a sampler of specialties or fruits only found in their region. Ok, I know its a basic rule not to try anything new on race day to avoid any possible stomach upset, etc. but to them... I think it's not just a race, its also a festival 🙂

Aside from bananas, japanese style rice balls (onigiri) are great marathon/ultra fuel. Gosh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it right now... 😆

2 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Some of the marathons in Japan are nice. At some of the aid stations, they often have a sampler of specialties or fruits only found in their region. Ok, I know its a basic rule not to try anything new on race day to avoid any possible stomach upset, etc. but to them... I think it's not just a race, its also a festival 🙂

Aside from bananas, japanese style rice balls (onigiri) are great marathon/ultra fuel. Gosh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it right now... 😆

Yes, saw videos on the tokyo and osaka marathon. The crowd support and food is really super!

On 6/13/2020 at 6:58 PM, RaijinFJ said:

now reminds me of the great stations at specific aid stations during the course.. mostly after 30km-ish... frankly, i seldom eat those except for bananas and some salty rice balls, other food which I am unfamiliar, i usually don't touch. There was once when i totally was famished and my body just couldn't hit the timing i want, and I really enjoyed the "feasting"... the food was superb...

On 6/9/2020 at 4:34 PM, wonderfulblevic said:

I actually witnessed this in one of the local ultra race.  This guy whom I passed suddenly turned up resting at a bus stop a few km further. My guess is he took a bus. It was more weird cos it wasn't a serious race and there were no prizes at stake.  he could have walked the distance.

And of course for SCSM, there is the famous ECP 'turn-arounds' and 'toilet breaks'. :)

Indeed, I had ran quite a few FM in SCSM since 2008 and over the years, saw many "casual walkers" everytime at the ECP area back towards the city.... they were like chatting and casually walking, some couples held hands in DRY singlets... then I looked at my watch, 33-35km in 3.5hours... I was like, "ok, they might have changed to another gear they stored prior to the race in lockers.".. As i ran past them, their face seemed so fresh and i was like a famished and dehydrated runner who singlet and running shorts were DRENCHED and cant wait to see the finishing line... 

Seen many over the years and I have given up in asking them or talking to them at all.

Here is an update (of sort) of whether SCSM 2020 will proceed.

Coronavirus: Status of Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon will be determined by 'safe management measures'

PUBLISHED JUL 3, 2020, 6:30 PM SGT 

Nicole Chia

SINGAPORE - A decision on whether the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) will proceed as planned in December "will be guided by the prevailing safe management measures in Singapore", organisers have told The Straits Times.

Asked about the status of the annual event, an Ironman Asia spokesman said: "The health and well-being of our community, runners and supporters is of utmost importance to us as we continue to work closely with relevant government agencies to consider the best way forward for SCSM 2020, given the evolving Covid-19 situation.

"Our decision will be guided by the prevailing safe management measures in Singapore."

The spokesman added that additional information would be shared with runners and partners and made available on the event's digital platforms "in due course", and urged runners to follow the official government platforms and recommendations closely to keep the risk of Covid-19 transmission low.

The SCSM, which is the nation’s largest mass participation sports event, typically launches anywhere between March and May, although the 2016 event launched in July. Last year, the event attracted over 50,000 participants, with over 70,000 supporters lining the route at designated spectator zones.

The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc on the world’s marathoning calendar, with the Boston (Sept 14), New York (Nov 1), and Berlin (Sept 27) marathons, which are part of the prestigious World Marathon Majors (WMM) series, called off.

Two other WMM races – London and Chicago – are scheduled to take place on Oct 4 and Oct 11 respectively but it remains to be seen whether they will actually be held given that Britain and the United States are still in the grip of the pandemic.

Full Article: https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/coronavirus-status-of-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-will-be-determined-by-safe

My feel? If they have not decide by now, the probability of it going ahead is rather slim. 

The logistics required for this race necessitate a longer lead time than other races. So I doubt they can decide at the last minute to proceed. (Unless it's a scaled-down 'elite only' race) 

OhMyGod,

They said "consider the best way forward for SCSM 2020, given the evolving Covid-19 situation".

OhMyGod

long long ago, had said they had a Plan, a Virtual Run, that is a Virtual Run Plan.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, lonewolf said:

Here is an update (of sort) of whether SCSM 2020 will proceed.

Full Article: https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/coronavirus-status-of-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-will-be-determined-by-safe

My feel? If they have not decide by now, the probability of it going ahead is rather slim. 

The logistics required for this race necessitate a longer lead time than other races. So I doubt they can decide at the last minute to proceed. (Unless it's a scaled-down 'elite only' race) 

I think they are adapting a "wait and see" approach - If the pandemic is not going to come down by the latest date for them to process the necessary logistics (and for government to give the green light), they are just going to convert into a "virtual run".

Maybe some people in the organizing team has the positive mentality like our Autumn bro, but personally I rather they just make the decision to cancel this year's edition.

Agree with Beast bro.... even if they really do allow the race to go on, who would actually sign up without having any fear?? It's gonna be a long race with hours in the race (without mask) exposed to people from all over.... the risk taker mentality vs the "itch" to have a streak race comes in for most people here...

With the increasing number of community cases, not likely we will reach Phase 3 soon.  Previously the govt said "months".  Also not likely other countries will lift travel restrictions on our country anytime soon, in view of the overall number of new cases still persisting every day.  I would say travel anytime this year is out of the question. Locally, being able to run in such large groups is a quantum leap from the current "5 in a group" policy.

I would say its 99% certain it would be a virtual race.

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Actually i will prefer the race to be cancelled rather than virtual. What's everyone's take on this?

I am ok with virtual cos the i have some motivation to train.  This year's training has been disastrous without having races to keep me disciplined.

13 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I am ok with virtual cos the i have some motivation to train.  This year's training has been disastrous without having races to keep me disciplined.

that is right.... i took this time to rest mostly to nurture my injury-prone legs back to its 20s... hahah... So maybe you are right that having virtual races definitely will spur us on even more... the only con is that it will feel like another LSD alone....

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

that is right.... i took this time to rest mostly to nurture my injury-prone legs back to its 20s... hahah... So maybe you are right that having virtual races definitely will spur us on even more... the only con is that it will feel like another LSD alone....

I havent done any LSD since SCSM!

23 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Actually i will prefer the race to be cancelled rather than virtual. What's everyone's take on this?

Those runners who do this race every year may be all right with virtual race to ensure there is no 'gap'.

2 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I havent done any LSD since SCSM!

hahah... i still did a few until i was injured... so i think motivation to train for a race is important...

54 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Those runners who do this race every year may be all right with virtual race to ensure there is no 'gap'.

yup.... that's me... but seriously i have not done any "LSD" on my own for 42.195km... so might go for 21.1 Half marathon instead...

4 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

hahah... i still did a few until i was injured... so i think motivation to train for a race is important...

yup.... that's me... but seriously i have not done any "LSD" on my own for 42.195km... so might go for 21.1 Half marathon instead...

I will stay on the sideline see what are the entitlements for the virtual run first. I believe the price will not be as expensive as their actual race and have the option to choose what entitlements we want.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Virtual race is a gimmick. It is also discriminatory as you will either need a GPS enabled watch or run with your HP to log your run. If you are unable or unwilling to run with your HP or does not own a GPS enable watch, then you cannot join.

So honestly, I am rather ambivalent if it is cancelled or converted. 

Either way, I won't be joining. 

17 hours ago, starfinder said:

Prior to this year, SCSM is one of my 2 streak races that I have joined every year since I started joining races in 2013 (Run350/Income Eco Run was the other). Personally, I won't count a Virtual races as a continuation of a streak but that's just me. 

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Virtual race is a gimmick. It is also discriminatory as you will either need a GPS enabled watch or run with your HP to log your run. If you are unable or unwilling to run with your HP or does not own a GPS enable watch, then you cannot join.

So honestly, I am rather ambivalent if it is cancelled or converted. 

Either way, I won't be joining. 

Prior to this year, SCSM is one of my 2 streak races that I have joined every year since I started joining races in 2013 (Run350/Income Eco Run was the other). Personally, I won't count a Virtual races as a continuation of a streak but that's just me. 

Understand your point, it is quite clear that Virtual won't be counted as a proper streak for you.. In this way, all your streak races will be broken this year although we are still unsure if SCSM will be a virtual race.... Given such circumstances, many runners are hanging on a race to train for so i think a virtual race might be something that keeps some runners sane...

15 hours ago, starfinder said:

I will stay on the sideline see what are the entitlements for the virtual run first. I believe the price will not be as expensive as their actual race and have the option to choose what entitlements we want.

True, this has always been the advantage of a virtual race, low fees and flexible entitlements according to what we want... 

8 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

True, this has always been the advantage of a virtual race, low fees and flexible entitlements according to what we want... 

Yes, actually all I want is just the medal. For those virtual runs I took part, I usually choose just medal category. But if I run actual race with min HM distance, I would want the finisher shirt too... :)