Sign in to follow this  
kohpapa

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2020 - 5 Dec - 6 Dec (Sat - Sun)

Yes SCSM still going ahead for the now. 

Though if it does, expect there to be more regulations regarding health and safety.

I have faith that Singapore will recover and Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon will be held as per normal this December. Looking forward to seeing everyone on that starting line!

Though if it does, expect there to be more regulations regarding health and safety.

OhMyGod,

Virtual Run is on the card.

The most difficult part is no longer water point, road closures ...

But how to divide the fat pie.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, kohpapa said:

Maybe the event will need to be longer for the same number or reduce the number of participants

Posted (edited)

F1 teams to be limited to 8O people each at closed races

(CNA News)

channelnewsasia.com-F1-teams-to-be-limit

Let's see how F1 tackle the closed race event...likely, SCSM 2020...Elites Only while the rest Virtual Run.

Edited by kohpapa

4 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Let's see how F1 tackle the closed race event...likely, SCSM 2020...Elites Only while the rest Virtual Run.

Uncle, I won't participate SCSM 2020 if it becomes a virtual run. The fees may be cheaper but I believe most of us would want to cross the finisher line in the SG Marathon. So the VR is really no point...

Posted (edited)

Actually, Events (SCSM or F1) are for the Economy, attracting both locals and overseas visitors to stopover and spend in travelings (Airlines/Airports), lodgings (Hotels) and immersing in the experience of Sports (Participation) and of course, savouring F&B during the Event stay...visit attractions (Tourism).

Virtual Meeting/Travel via "Zoom" ...Virtual Run via "Zoom" or "Youtubing" casting...

Uncle's VR definition - Virtual Reality - a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world..immersive in experience...

VR.jpg

we may be moving into this direction after Covid-19...even when there is a vaccine for all...expect changes in the coming months

VRd2984e6c433b8046.md.jpg

Home-based VR learning start with the kids...

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, starfinder said:

Uncle, I won't participate SCSM 2020 if it becomes a virtual run. The fees may be cheaper but I believe most of us would want to cross the finisher line in the SG Marathon. So the VR is really no point...

I agree. Crossing the finish line at SCSM by analogy, would be like earning a diploma from NUS, while a virtual run on the other hand, would be like getting a certificate of some online course from some shady internet school.

You may have truly done the coursework and gained the appropriate learning in both cases, but when you present your documents to a potential employer, the former will be solid proof of your accomplishment and hard work compared to the latter.

Edited by RaijinFJ
Continued in next post for ease of readabilty

Posted (edited)

Now, what I'm going to say next may be a somewhat unpleasant topic among runners, but the reality is that among fellow athletes.... there are some who cheat🤔 

Although this has been minimized now in modern races with timing mats/chips and vigilant marshalls on the course, in less sophisticated events, some dishonest runners take shortcuts, surreptitiously exchange bibs with a faster runner somewhere along the course (so their times come out better), and in one ultra, board their support vehicle when they think nobody is looking, then get off 10-20km later down the road!

I don't know what goes on in the mind of those dishonest people who later claim their finisher shirts and medals just so they can brag on their social media accounts of something they did not rightfully accomplish. They are only fooling themselves. They may be actually very few in number, but if they are so thick skinned to be able to do that in a real race, how much more in a virtual one based on an honesty system? They may have  rode a bycycle, or used roller skates/ a skateboard for all we know!

IMHO, that is why a medal/finisher shirt from an actual race will always command more respect and honor amongst us runners than that from a virtual one.

Edited by RaijinFJ

On 5/28/2020 at 11:22 PM, kohpapa said:

Actually, Events (SCSM or F1) are for the Economy, attracting both locals and overseas visitors to stopover and spend in travelings (Airlines/Airports), lodgings (Hotels) and immersing in the experience of Sports (Participation) and of course, savouring F&B during the Event stay...visit attractions (Tourism).

Actually, one of the things I always look forward to in coming over for SCSM would be carboloading at some hawker stall.
Once, after asking for a sixth order of rice, the uncle who owned the place just exclaimed  "哇!!!" (Waah!) 🤣

The only problem is that there always seems to be new construction constantly in Singapore. One place I ate at before was already closed with a new building being built over it the next time I came back, so its hard to have a favorite place to eat.

7 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Although this has been minimized now in modern races with timing mats/chips and vigilant marshalls on the course, in less sophisticated events, some dishonest runners take shortcuts, surreptitiously exchange bibs with a faster runner somewhere along the course (so their times come out better), and in one ultra, board their support vehicle when they think nobody is looking, then get off 10-20km later down the road!

IMHO, that is why a medal/finisher shirt from an actual race will always command more respect and honor amongst us runners than that from a virtual one.

Agree with you. I believe people who pull these stunts are only a small handful and they are non-elites runners. 

Posted (edited)

Ahh yes sounds like we are talking about pastries ;) 

Singapore Marathon 2013

Pastry chef Tam Chua Puh admitted yesterday that he took a short cut in last Sunday's marathon, but said he never meant to be the first Singaporean to cross the finishing line.

When the unknown beat SEA Games-bound marathoner Mok Ying Ren to the top spot, it caused a two-hour delay as officials scrambled to check.

Mr Tam, 43, who ran barely 6km of the 42.195km route, told The Straits Times yesterday that he did not mean to cause any trouble. All he wanted was the finisher's T-shirt and medal.

In fact, he also admitted, he had done the same thing in two previous marathons, but was disqualified both years.

"I am sorry if I offended anyone. I never thought I would create so much inconvenience for the organisers," he said.

His explanation came three days after the controversy over his finishing time of 2hr 46min 57sec, well ahead of all the best Singaporean racers.

Emcees at the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore initially declared him the winner of the Singapore men's category, before he was disqualified for missing all but one of the race checkpoints.

Racer Mok was then crowned the winner with a time of 2hr 54min 17sec.

Yesterday, Mr Tam said he had lasted only about 6km of the race and gave up because his left knee ached.

"I stopped at the Esplanade because my knee was too sore. I got hit by a car when I was 12, and my knee hasn't been okay since," he said.

But he was determined to collect his T-shirt and medal.

"After resting at the bus stop, I made my way back to the finishing line. I saw some Kenyans run past, and I thought I saw some local runners run past too, so I assumed it was safe to return to the race. I didn't expect to be the first Singaporean to finish."

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/mystery-marathon-winner-just-wanted-t-shirt-and-medal

In fact had witnessed many people cutting out loops in previous SCSM editions.  Much more difficult now with a timing mat on every loop

Edited by Lady Ice

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Singapore Marathon 2013

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/mystery-marathon-winner-just-wanted-t-shirt-and-medal

In fact had witnessed many people cutting out loops in previous SCSM editions.  Much more difficult now with a timing mat on every loop

I think these people want the e-cert to reflect they have finished the race. Nowadays the medal and finisher shirt can be bought at Carousell. 🤣

Actually once saw some of the singlets and t-shirts being sold in a small clothes shop in Clementi 🥴

3 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

Actually once saw some of the singlets and t-shirts being sold in a small clothes shop in Clementi 🥴

Oh, don't know how they got hold of them.

But during last year's OCBC Cycle, I saw the organizer selling past years' shirts at the race pack collection venue. I think this is good recycling practice as there should be excess and will be a pity just to scrap them. As well sell cheap to cyclists who may want to buy them.

5 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Singapore Marathon 2013

I’m not a local, so I didn’t know the story about that pastry chef, but the link to the Straits Times article was an amusing read.

It said he picked up running in 2011, and only runs 1 km at each time (!?!?!?) on weekends, yet he managed to cover  19kms in an actual race before giving up. I suspect though he probably walked most of that.

If he could cover that distance running without training though, he must be either gifted, or very fit from another sport or life activity. Imagine what he would actually be capable of if he just took the time to train properly!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, starfinder said:

I think these people want the e-cert to reflect they have finished the race. Nowadays the medal and finisher shirt can be bought at Carousell. 🤣

3 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

SCSM T shirts are also usually sold at the pre-race expo, not just in SCSM but also other IAAF certified marathons in other parts of the world. The actual finisher shirt handed to you at the finish line is of course different though.

I have nothing against those who want to buy a souvenir or presents for family and friends back home, but I strongly believe finisher shirts should be earned. Medals are usually just made of cheap metal or plastic, but to a runner, that "token" represents all the blood sweat and tears  you put into finishing the race.

I don't remember where I read this, but there was this story about a guy whose wife completed her first marathon in Chicago. He told his friend:

"I just bought her an expensive designer bag. That finisher certificate she got from completing the marathon probably cost the organizers a few cents to print. If she had to choose between the two of which to keep though, I know it would be that finisher's certificate & medal on our wall!🥴

Edited by RaijinFJ

Slightly OT, but from the Straits Times article quoted by Lady Ice:

"His explanation came three days after the controversy over his finishing time of 2hr 46 min 57 sec, well ahead of all the best Singaporean racers"

A time of 2:46:57 is fast of course. Impossibly fast for a slow runner like me, but whenever I look at race results from marathons elsewhere in the world, and compare it to the times of our best runners of countries in Southeast Asia, even if one were to exclude the times of African runners from the equation, our runners here in SE Asia appear to be outclassed.

I've always wondered why??🤔

Even in Japanese marathons, the Japanese winner's times are usually at 2:30++ on average.

Are we at some disadvantage because we live in a hot climate, compared to those in temperate countries? When I mentioned to a runner from Victoria (AUS) that I usually run in temps of 27-33C, his jaw dropped...

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 3:05 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Now, what I'm going to say next may be a somewhat unpleasant topic among runners, but the reality is that among fellow athletes.... there are some who cheat🤔 

I don't know what goes on in the mind of those dishonest people who later claim their finisher shirts and medals just so they can brag on their social media accounts of something they did not rightfully accomplish. They are only fooling themselves. They may be actually very few in number, but if they are so thick skinned to be able to do that in a real race, how much more in a virtual one based on an honesty system? They may have  rode a bycycle, or used roller skates/ a skateboard for all we know!

I actually witnessed this in one of the local ultra race.  This guy whom I passed suddenly turned up resting at a bus stop a few km further. My guess is he took a bus. It was more weird cos it wasn't a serious race and there were no prizes at stake.  he could have walked the distance.

And of course for SCSM, there is the famous ECP 'turn-arounds' and 'toilet breaks'. :)

Edited by wonderfulblevic

On 6/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Slightly OT, but from the Straits Times article quoted by Lady Ice:

A time of 2:46:57 is fast of course. Impossibly fast for a slow runner like me, but whenever I look at race results from marathons elsewhere in the world, and compare it to the times of our best runners of countries in Southeast Asia, even if one were to exclude the times of African runners from the equation, our runners here in SE Asia appear to be outclassed.

I've always wondered why??🤔

Even in Japanese marathons, the Japanese winner's times are usually at 2:30++ on average.

Are we at some disadvantage because we live in a hot climate, compared to those in temperate countries? When I mentioned to a runner from Victoria (AUS) that I usually run in temps of 27-33C, his jaw dropped...

Yes, humidity and temperature plays a big part. Crowd atmosphere too.  For those in Singapore, we have acclimatised and dont feel the humidity as much.  Someone new will feel the full brunt of our weather.  Its actually kinda dangerous.  There is a reason why even African runners dont run fast times at SCSM (other than the prize money of course).

Conversely, I have run in Japan and every single time, the timing is better than my best in Singapore.  I feel less tired after the race too.

4 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

And of course for SCSM, there is the famous ECP 'turn-arounds' and 'toilet breaks'. :)

Was this last year's? I recall there was a timing mat at the turn-around at the ECP so people doing short cuts at ECP will probably be deem as DNF in the statistics, even though they may get their entitlements after crossing the finish line.

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

Was this last year's? I recall there was a timing mat at the turn-around at the ECP so people doing short cuts at ECP will probably be deem as DNF in the statistics, even though they may get their entitlements after crossing the finish line.

Yes there were timing mats at the key points as I recall. However, I think people who are minded to cheat probably wouldn’t care about this. As such split timings are not verified at the end point, they would already got their hands on the finisher tees and medals. Very few actually verify online records. Anyway records online probably remain online only for a few years at most. We just have to accept there will always be such people. I’m just a recreational, middle of the pack runner so it doesn’t affect me. 

1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Yes there were timing mats at the key points as I recall. However, I think people who are minded to cheat probably wouldn’t care about this. As such split timings are not verified at the end point, they would already got their hands on the finisher tees and medals. Very few actually verify online records. Anyway records online probably remain online only for a few years at most. We just have to accept there will always be such people. I’m just a recreational, middle of the pack runner so it doesn’t affect me. 

Yes, the organizers probably wouldn't bother to check on the majority of us recreational runners. They will probably verify the elite ones, especially those podium runners.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, starfinder said:

After 2017's fiasco, Ironman improved the course checks a lot and also harder to skip the loops.... although there were a couple of runners who decided to go under the ropes for the loop back at ECP in 2019. Expect those runners will get a DNF.   

Pre-Ironman

- Used to see people skip loops

- When the finish was at the Padang, there used to be a bus that would pick up runners just after Marine Barrage - about 5km from the finish who felt they wanted to give up. They would then be dropped 1km from the finish. Very tempting to take as it is about mid-day and sun would be beating down. I completed between 7-8 hours and remember there being people trying to tempt us into this bus. I know it dropped people off cos I saw them getting off towards the end to get their "entitlement".  Am wondering what could be a reward? How about a digital medal that could be used to access other events?

Edited by Lady Ice