Sign in to follow this  
kohpapa

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2020 - 5 Dec - 6 Dec (Sat - Sun)

2020 OCBC Cycle : Do Our Part for The Environment

ocbccycle.com-OCBC-Cycle-Singapore-mass-

ocbccycle.com-OCBC-Cycle-Singapore-mass-

Imagine if we follow the Go Green initiative, for every 1 tree planting for 70 registered, SCSM with 51,000 registered participants in 2019, we would have 700+ trees planted in 2020.

Edited by kohpapa

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

I seriously don't see why the shoe should be banned. Make no sense at all.

If technology can improve one's timing or feel good factor, it should be allowed in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon could move from year-end to June date from 2021

(info - https://theworldnews.net/sg-news/athletics-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-could-move-from-year-end-to-june-date-from-2021)

Not easy to solve but shifting SCSM from Dec to Jun can elevate traffic issues? You seriously must be joking... Lol. 

2 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Not easy to solve but shifting SCSM from Dec to Jun can elevate traffic issues? You seriously must be joking... Lol. 

If held in June will be too close to Sundown. And Income, 2XU runs are usually around the same period or just slightly earlier.

Somehow they think it's better to position/market the run to international runners as a Summer event rather than an Escape-the-winter event 😕 :huh:

Change to June though will at least avoid festive season. Interestingly, Stanchart KL is one step ahead and has already moved from Sept 2019 to June 2020. 

43 minutes ago, RunWalkRun said:

Somehow they think it's better to position/market the run to international runners as a Summer event rather than an Escape-the-winter event 😕 :huh:

Change to June though will at least avoid festive season. Interestingly, Stanchart KL is one step ahead and has already moved from Sept 2019 to June 2020. 

wmm5af947da185a64fe.jpg

May - August : WMM slots are available...2021 (Series XIIII)...very likely for trial hosting reason...

So, if Singapore "is" included in the WMM Wonder 7 in 2021:

Tokyo, Boston, London, Singapore, Berlin, Chicago, New York.

Interestingly, another strong Wonder 7 candidate..Chendu Marathon (China)

gochengdu.cn-2020-Chengdu-Marathon-to-Ta

gochengdu.cn-2020-Chengdu-Marathon-to-Ta

Chicago Marathon 2020 is on October 11, 2020

if Chendu (China) "is" included in the WMM Wonder 7 in 2021:

Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, Chendu (China), New York.

What if Singapore and Chendu (China) "are" included in the WMM Wonder 8 in 2021/2022:

Tokyo, Boston, London, Singapore, Berlin, Chicago, Chendu (China), New York.

todayonline.com-The-Big-Read-Business-of

Edited by kohpapa

SOURCE: Athletics: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon could move from year-end to June date from 2021

PUBLISHED JAN 16, 2020, 5:26 PM SGT

Low Lin Fhoong Assistant Sports Editor

SINGAPORE - The Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) could move from its traditional December date to June from next year.

Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu told The Straits Times on Thursday (Jan 16) that this is being "talked about" and would be discussed with race organisers to see how it would fit in with the World Marathon Majors (WMM) series.

While the minister did not elaborate on the rationale for the possible date change, she said: "If we can establish that in the calendar, and if the other corporates, hotels and agencies are used to a certain timing, we can work towards de-conflicting better."

Last year's SCSM from Nov 30 to Dec 1 saw the flag-off times of the 42.195km marathon, 21.2km half-marathon and Ekiden relay shifted from their usual pre-dawn starts to 6pm on Nov 30 to boost its chances of being listed among the World Marathon Majors.

But this drew flak from the public after an unprecedented convergence of three other events resulted in some motorists being stuck in traffic snarls for over two hours. Couples holding wedding banquets in town also ran into issues as guests and vendors were unable to make it to the functions on time.

Speaking on the sidelines of the MCCY year-in-review 2019 media conference, Ms Fu said that "we really empathise with the people who have been inconvenienced" and that it was the first time that they were "doing it on such a scale in this location at such a time".

Stressing that it would be a "great opportunity" for Singapore to be part of the WMM, she pointed to the city's hosting of the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix and how organisers took a few years to get the kinks ironed out.

"What I can commit to Singaporeans is that all the agencies and the organisers and ourselves, we are treating this event very seriously," she added. "We're looking at all the feedback closely, and we will do our utmost best to do better in the next series."

Responding to queries from ST, Geoff Meyer, managing director of Ironman Asia, which organises the SCSM, said: "The Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon is the leading mass participation run and only IAAF Gold Label race in South-east Asia. In the last 18 years, the marathon has grown significantly, and we continue to take strides towards our goal of becoming an Abbott World Marathon Major, joining the likes of prestigious marathons around the world.

"We continue to look for ways to enhance the marathon across several aspects, and focus on the event festivities as well as programmes and initiatives that promote the running culture and community engagement in Singapore."

A spokesman for Sport Singapore said that they “are carefully studying the different options”, adding that “we value all feedback and will work with our partners and stakeholders to build the SCSM into an event that Singapore can be proud of”.

Soh Rui Yong, who won the Local Men's marathon title, said: "I think that June is possibly the worst time to hold the Singapore Marathon given that May and June are usually the hottest months of the year. This will heighten the risk of heat injuries.

"But I guess we can try one year and see what happens; maybe it's not as bad as I foresee it being!"

Gerald Gan, an adjunct lecturer in leisure and events management at the Singapore Institute of Management, said that “there is no good time” to hold the marathon unless it moves away from the city centre, stressing that better planning of logistics, timing and the route would help. 

He added: “Unfortunately, there is no win-win. Someone has to compromise ultimately... it is about mitigating the amount of exposure in terms of all of these inconveniences to the public.”

In her review, Ms Fu also pointed to the progress made in sport over the past year. More Singaporeans were engaged through its eight Active Health Labs and Active Health programmes and over 60,000 participants had signed up with the ActiveSG academies and clubs as of December 2019. There were more opportunities for persons with disabilities to play sports, with the opening of two inclusive gyms at Ang Mo Kio Community Centre and Jurong Lake Gardens, among other initiatives.

Sport Singapore's $3 million fund in 2019 to provide extended campaign support for athletes competing in major Games (2019-2020) also reaped rewards last year as Team Singapore returned from the Philippines SEA Games with its second-best away performance of 53 gold, 46 silver and 68 bronze medals. Of the 659 athletes who competed, 366 or 56 per cent were debutants and they contributed to nearly 40 per cent of the gold medals, said Ms Fu.

However, Singapore Athletics came under fire at the SEA Games post-mortem after a dismal outing and reports of discord within the squad. The under-22 footballers also made headlines when nearly half the squad broke curfew during the tournament, before bowing out at the group stage.

While 2019 was a successful year for Singapore sport, Ms Fu admitted that "there's so much more that we can do before we can really call ourselves a sporting country".

"But I would like to see that we have made progress and I think the direction is the right one," she added. "There's still some significant headroom for us to strive so we don't see this as an endpoint. It's definitely a work in progress and we'd like to see more Singaporeans supporting sports, believe in the values of sports, and participate actively in sports."

Edited by lonewolf

I know this is still a preliminary idea but experience tells us that when a Minister open his/her mouth, the chance of it happening is probably 90+ %

From a participant pov, it really should not make a difference whether the race is held in Jun or Dec. But traditionally, the Singapore marathon has been held in Dec to signal the end of a running season for most recreational runners.

The shift to Jun will take some adjusting but I suppose life will goes on. I'm not really sure how shifting from Dec to Jun will help mitigate some of the issues that surfaced last year. If you need to close the roads, then there will be jam regardless of whether you held it in Jun or Dec. 

Of course, this will more than likely sound the death knell for SDM unless it does the smart thing and shift to the end of the year.

Abbott WMM and Abott Wanda Age Group World Championships (Entry periods)

2020WMMRaceDatestable.jpg

Note: When and if SCSM becomes WMM Major, what would be $$$ for Singapore residents?

rimirigamarathon.com-Rimi-Riga-Marathon-

SERIES_XIII_QUALIFIERS-page-001556a6d1ac

SERIES_XIII_QUALIFIERS-page-0024c6096b30

SERIES_XIII_QUALIFIERS-page-003baf7b222c

Somehow they think it's better to position/market the run to international runners...Stanchart KL is one step ahead and has already moved from Sept 2019 to June 2020. 

kl5b849f406376cdb8.jpg

SERIES_XIII_QUALIFIERS-page-004a5c015608

??? SCKLM 2020 ??? error ???

Seems like June - July - August (Summer months) there are many available slots for SCSM to be considered for 2021...

SERIES_XIII_QUALIFIERS-page-0052e3f70484

Edited by kohpapa

21 hours ago, starfinder said:

If held in June will be too close to Sundown. And Income, 2XU runs are usually around the same period or just slightly earlier.

Not necessary. Unless you are sick of local runs, 3 Heavanly Runs ie. 2XU,, SDM & SCSM all runners will join regardless of whichever month plus Income Run due to cheapest around.

11 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Of course, this will more than likely sound the death knell for SDM unless it does the smart thing and shift to the end of the year.

Bro, i don't think SDM will die out. I felt SDM has become a branding on it's own over the years. A truly "Sleep Can Wait" event that runners ran unearthly hours over the years.

If it shifts, more likely to capture market share of muslim runners like kohpapa mentioned.

China - will 'marathon fever' continue? Our other WMM Major Candidate for 2021/2022

(info - https://www.shine.cn/sport/2001079314/)

shine.cn-Will-Chinas-marathon-fever-cont

Bro, i don't think SDM will die out. I felt SDM has become a branding on it's own over the years. A truly "Sleep Can Wait" event that runners ran unearthly hours over the years.

Branding of Marathon event must attract Strong Local Runner and especially International runners. It must also innovate with technology.

Otherwise, a truly "Sleep Can Wait" event will "Sleep Forever or RIP".

sdm.jpg

SDM has yet to be known as "branded" internationally (being certified), except it has being known as "Water Not Enough" Singapore Marathon. 

July - August (Summer months) there are many available slots for SCSM to be considered for 2021

The humidity in May - August has been always high (a minus for any endurance run) and often the date clash with the Muslim Ramadan and Hari Raya (a minus for muslim runners who may come from the region like Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia). May/June is the Inter Monsoon Season and there is possibility of "stormy-thunder lighting weather".

SDM has yet reinvented itself as "Sun Rise" Day Marathon and that also can be a death knell for SDM. Unlike SCSM - Day or Evening or Night Marathon option is always there.

Edited by kohpapa

uncle ran on Nike Vaporfly running shoes

reason.jpg

dailymail.co.uk-Nike-Vaporfly-running-sh

that comfortable feeling is the feather-lightness of the thickness of soles and carbon fibre plate...

waterproof material wraps round feet...don't need to wear socks...almost feel "five-finger" wrap round legs...except sole is no longer Vibram.

racing responsiveness indeed...running feet are charged for PB anytime...

depending on individual runner's efficiency in his/her running gait, wear and tear of soles taken into consideration depending on the run terrain ...lifespan of 400km+ 

popsci.com-Science-helped-me-run-my-firs

I seriously don't see why the shoe should be banned. Make no sense at all. If technology can improve one's timing or feel good factor, it should be allowed in my opinion.

dailymail.co.uk-Nike-Vaporfly-running-sh

If technology in run can make runners feel runner's high all the time by running more efficient..why banned? ...maybe only for the Elite Runners for good Sportsmanship. 😀

nike.jpg

More on Nike Vaporfly...

outsideonline.com-Nike-Just-Revealed-New

Note: uncle is not sponsored by Nike, nor brands like New Balance, Asics, Adidas...uncle is a barefoot minimalist..and uncle just "thrown" out Five-Fingers Vibram due to wear and tear and spring cleaning for the Lunar New Year...😁

Edited by kohpapa
author

21 hours ago, kohpapa said:

China - will 'marathon fever' continue? Our other WMM Major Candidate for 2021/2022

(info - https://www.shine.cn/sport/2001079314/)

Branding of Marathon event must attract Strong Local Runner and especially International runners. It must also innovate with technology.

Otherwise, a truly "Sleep Can Wait" event will "Sleep Forever or RIP".

sdm.jpg

SDM has yet to be known as "branded" internationally (being certified), except it has being known as "Water Not Enough" Singapore Marathon. 

July - August (Summer months) there are many available slots for SCSM to be considered for 2021

The humidity in May - August has been always high (a minus for any endurance run) and often the date clash with the Muslim Ramadan and Hari Raya (a minus for muslim runners who may come from the region like Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia). May/June is the Inter Monsoon Season and there is possibility of "stormy-thunder lighting weather".

SDM has yet reinvented itself as "Sun Rise" Day Marathon and that also can be a death knell for SDM. Unlike SCSM - Day or Evening or Night Marathon option is always there.

Me personally think that China is up & coming regardless of road races or trail events ie. UTMB etc. We will definitely see more & more Chinese runners. Plus point that is their sporting culture much stronger than ours.

Political reason we will see a China marathon becomes one of WMM in the future & most like will be Chengdu Marathon. Rational Wanda Chairman's hometown is at Chengdu.

Link: 

SDM might not be known internationally but due to marketing efforts of previous owner HiVelocity, they have sold the idea of "Largest Night Race in Asia" to this region ie. China, Taiwan, Malaysia etc. So definitely if any runner is talking of night race, SDM will come in the picture & not clone like Bangkok Midnight Marathon.

Of course SDM has much to improve as compared to SCSM & cut down silly mistakes like Water Not Enough. If not,  it will be like what you said Sleep Forever.

11 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Political reason we will see a China marathon becomes one of WMM in the future & most like will be Chengdu Marathon. Rational Wanda Chairman's hometown is at Chengdu.

uncle will predict that: WMM Season 2021/2022 (and given the entry period is always 1 year-ahead from March of 2020)...after

WMMd063f2604ed9b70d.jpg

I know this is still a preliminary idea but experience tells us that when a Minister open his/her mouth, the chance of it happening is probably 90+ %

Singapore will take the 2021 mid-year slot (as announced).

SDM might not be known internationally but due to marketing efforts of previous owner HiVelocity, they have sold the idea of "Largest Night Race in Asia" to this region ie. China, Taiwan, Malaysia etc. So definitely if any runner is talking of night race, SDM will come in the picture & not clone like Bangkok Midnight Marathon.

Wish SDM all the best, for they are never "in" the International Road Race Circuit, more of local "regional recreational" race. Skip by those who don't really want to "Sleep Can Wait". SDM needs strong international marketing effort in order to win back HiVelocity's core supporters of Endurance Runners/Ironman/Triathletes. With China also able to "compete" in their own playground with night races, SDM simply is waiting for their death knell - Sleep Forever - RIP.

2 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Sundown probably need to innovate to differentiate themselves from the competition. 

sd1.jpg

facebook.com-Official-Sundown-Marathon-S

Dream on SDM...for in 2021...you shall have to give up your slot for 2021 SCSM...while Sleep Can Wait...till of end of 2021...lol

Edited by kohpapa

If in future Sundown and SCSM comes in the same month or 1 month apart, I will probably choose to run 10K or HM for Sundown and FM for SCSM.

29 minutes ago, starfinder said:

If in future Sundown and SCSM comes in the same month or 1 month apart, I will probably choose to run 10K or HM for Sundown and FM for SCSM.

scsm-20208ebcbcb58da2c8eb.jpg

Actually, if I were you, and for AbottWMM Wanda Age Group Ranking, uncle would do 5km for Day 1 (morning), and then FM for Day 1 Evening, and then for fun, do 10km for Day 2 (morning)...for Ultra! Run...

Forget about SDM, skali Water Not Enough, no ranking so more (since the race route is never certified and sanctioned by World Athletics)...and are you sure SDM slot will be approved and blessed by the Authority for clashing with SCSM which will always pick the premium slot?...Road Closures...will the Public accept 2 Road Closures within a month? At least SCSM got WMM reason, but SDM got what reason, celebrate Hari Raya? 

Edited by kohpapa

World Athletics Platimum Label Road Races (started from 2020) Qualifiers:

wmm5af947da185a64fe.jpg

platinum.jpg

Candidate WMM hosts who are serious to be in the future WMM Major Series, at least must attain Platinum Label Road Race.

World-Athletics-page-002.jpg

World-Athletics-page-003.jpg

World-Athletics-page-008.jpg

World-Athletics-page-009.jpg

Kiasu and Kiasi attitude to be in WMM, surely an upgrade from Gold Label to Platinum Label is also a likely chance for WMM Entry by 2021/2022.

Edited by kohpapa