Sign in to follow this  
Lady Ice

Cycling

Posted (edited)

Cycling is great cross training as it trains muscles in your leg that you don' use for running and keeps you fit. I cycled for a month to a marathon event in Geneva and beat my PB by 15 minutes! I felt really strong.

Also using your bicycle more means a win for the environment, a win for your fitness and a win for your pocket as you save money from having to use your car or public transportation and sometimes saves you time.

Additionally it is easy to integrate into your routine. Just need cycling paths to improve in Singapore and would be grateful for your help in writing to LTA to improve the cycling commute.

Here is my blog post to explain what is wrong with the cycle paths: https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2020/01/01/get-on-your-bike-for-the-new-decade/

Edited by Lady Ice

Posted (edited)

good day @Lady Ice, looks like you have been passionate about cycling and everything Ultra! Cycling...

sgrunners.com-Cross-Training-page-001.jp

actually uncle was in this cross-training forum...

sgrunners.com-Cross-Training-page-002.jp

passionate about open water swim and everything Ultra! Swim...

used a clone 5-o) because uncle was once "banned" for minus xx reputations...lol

using 5-o) uncle talked silly in multievent forums and of course "ghostly" encounters are always with 5-o)...

so, why not do Duothlon - Run>>Bike>>Run as multisports event...

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Haha - in 2010 I was a wanna bee cyclist.  How life has changed from 9 years ago ;)

Edited by Lady Ice

Posted (edited)

yes, dear @Lady Ice you will Bike on Tyres for 100 Ultra! Cycling...and no more 100 Marathons Runs with Tyres...from 9 years ago...lol

ok, let's us move on focusing on cycling.

Is It Better to Bike or Run?

(info - https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/ask-well-is-it-better-to-bike-or-run/)

well.blogs.nytimes.com-Ask-Well-Is-It-Be

In Duothlon, when we have Run - Bike - Run, we engage in Brick Workout.

What is a brick workout?

A brick workout is a training session in which you do two disciplines back to back with no rest. For example, you may do a bike ride followed by a run, or a swim followed by a bike ride. The most common brick workout for duathletes and triathletes is the bike to run brick workout, as this is where the race is won or lost, and running off the bike is the one that catches most people out (technical details will not be shared as what is this all about). This will be covered in Duothlon in other Forum.

A typical profile of Road Bike

decathlon.sg-RC-500-DISC-ROAD-BIKE-TURQU

Tri Bike is unlike Road Bike.

tribike.jpg

dia.gif

Note: Mountain Bike can be used in Duothlon or Triathlon Race. However, it is never recommended, because it is simply "too bulky and heavy to ride"  on one, especially the weight on the bike frame and the "knotty" tyres.

mountainbike.jpg

The keyword is "aerodynamic" ...meaning moving air and the interaction between the air and solid bodies moving through it is must be minimised.

An aerodynamic helmet.

aero.jpg

Cool right!

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, starfinder said:

Hi Lady Ice,

Registration for OCBC starts next week - 8 Jan.  Official launch is on 7 Jan. You may be keen.

https://www.ocbccycle.com/

This year's edition is relatively cheaper, as you have option not to have the event shirt/jersey.

Thank you. We (as Green Nudge) have been working on their sustainability 😉 so Glad to hear you like the idea of the shirt waiver 🤓

Edited by Lady Ice

6 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Thank you. We (as Green Nudge) have been working on their sustainability 😉 so Glad to hear you like the idea of the shirt waiver 🤓

Actually I prefer most races whether running or cycling to waive the event shirt. When we participate many races in a year, we don't really get to wear them all on normal days. So we save money too!

This year's OCBC Cycle is probably the first in giving participants this option, though Income Eco Run gives option to waive the finisher shirt and medal for zero waste runners.

13 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

We are seeing if this can also be done at scsm 😀🌈

Yes, will be good to try for this year's scsm. Have options to forgo the event shirt, finisher and medal! So many participants will reduce even more waste. For people like me, I save on the cost too!

I believe many frequent runners don't need especially the shirts but majority would want to retain the medals.

Agree - so will try to push for a meeting for February and hopefully before they send out opening registration.