Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 - [CANCELLED]

8 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

@kohpapa: I really think they did good on this, right? 😇  I have a good feeling they will put in a stellar effort for next year's race.
As long as my schedule permits (and we survive this pandemic intact) count me in among the super early bird registrants for next year's race! Say, If I get to particiapte at SCSM this December, I'll sign up directly at the expo too 😘

All the years of running races tell me not to have any expectations of good race organization, especially locally organized races.

Always be prepared and self-sufficient.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, beast said:

All the years of running races tell me not to have any expectations of good race organization, especially locally organized races.

That is why, local organized races must be "awakened" and be responsible for their action to provide a certain level of professionalism in event organization and management through education, specialization courses, benchmarking of industry practices, as well as, feedback from the running community, such as sgRunners as whitleblower. 

whistleblower.jpg

Sia suay  Hokkien (local dialect) colloquialism - embarrassed ourselves. Water not Enough  incident on Run Race is like Living in Desert without Sufficient Water.

Even the camel knows better how to be self-sufficient in Desert, but, are we to be treated as camels in Races? Very sia suay, we don't live in Desert. We are not camels. Definitely as a host organizer, you don't provide sia suay event to both local and overseas participants. 

Tsk..tsk..tsk.. we must stop being sia suay to ALL.

Edited by kohpapa

19 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Being the First Local Race Organizer to offer Full Refund because of Covid-19, we from sgRunners (Made in Singapore) would like to salute our Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 (Made in Singapore) for a stellar ☝️🤗🤩 achievement, committed and delivered.

I'm not sure who was really first to offer full refund. Was it SDM or Income? (Need to go back and check)

I have also received my refund from Income quietly on Sunday. 

18 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Comparing with Scoot, SDM is doing something much much better~~~ 🤣 

But understand that this is a tough period and very difficult for every one...

I dun think it's really fair to compare an airline with an event organiser. -_-

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, beast said:

Well, I was prepared to bring either my Camelbak or my 2 bottle Fuelbelt to this race if it pushed through (just as insurance), and didn't have any expectations given the bad reviews from last year... but I think they are exerting honest efforts trying to redeem themselves. You have to give them credit for that. If they repeat their mistakes from 2019 in next year's race (2021) however, well... 😤

I've had the misfortune of having joined some poorly organized races too (local & overseas).

Even in SCSM (which is a Gold Level IAAF accredited race), there are points for improvement, particularly in terms of route congestion & choke points. At some parts, if I recall correctly, it was only one car lane wide. This would be no problem for the lead runners of course, but middle of the pack folks like me, you slow down even further.

Besides, does anyone remember their experience after the finish line of SCSM 2018? You had to walk almost 400m more under the broiling sun after running in 38C heat for 4+ hours already (marathon distance). I didn't stay long at the post race activity area and just staggered to the MRT station. That's why they probably made SCSM a night race in 2019. 

8 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Sia suay  Hokkien (local dialect) colloquialism - embarrassed ourselves. Water not Enough  incident on Run Race is like Living in Desert without Sufficient Water.

Even the camel knows better how to be self-sufficient in Desert, but, are we to be treated as camels in Races? Very sia suay, we don't live in Desert. We are not camels. Definitely as a host organizer, you don't provide sia suay event to both local and overseas participants. 

We speak Hokkien here too 😉

But yes, you are right. There's no point in paying to join an organized race, then needing to have to fend for yourself, otherwise I'd just run by myself on my own right?

In my humble opinion, an organizer must get at least the basics right:
1)
Efficient registration & race kit claiming;
2) Accurate distance and safe route;
3) Properly stocked aid stations (even if its just water & no sports drink that's ok) and tables should be long enough to prevent congestion;
4) Accurate timing; and
5) Enough medics with fast transport for emergencies.

Everything else, T-shirts, medals, cheering squads etc... they're all just extra "fluff" and not essential actually.

SDM's failure in #3 above the other year is indeed terrible negligence with the basics (glad I didn't joiin then)... but I'm really willing to give them a chance provided they don't do it again.

Say... wasn't there an Ultra category in SDM some years back? I wonder why it was discontinued? 🤔 I wouldn't mind running before the sun goes down in the late afternoon then finishing at sunrise... that would be fun, provided they don't run out of water! 😜

Edited by RaijinFJ

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Comparing with Scoot, SDM is doing something much much better~~~ 🤣 

But understand that this is a tough period and very difficult for every one...

OT:

Of all industries, I think airlines have been hit the worst.

Who wants to be in an enclosed, pressurized cabin with possible asymptomatic carriers for several hours with this virus going around right now😬

We may think of airlines as swimming in money (Like Airasia's Chairman, T.F.), but they're probably walking a very fine line between profitability and loss from year to year. When I was younger there were industry giants like PANAM, TWA etc., where are those multibilion companies today? 

I'm trying to work with the airlines for my tickets too, and if a travel voucher, or free rebooking is the best they can offer it will have to do. If they get pushed to bankruptcy... then we'll have to get in line behind a long list of creditors, and not being preferred creditors at that, there might not even be bones left to pick when this all blows over😭

Edited by RaijinFJ

6 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

I'm trying to work with the airlines for my tickets too, and if a travel voucher, or free rebooking is the best they can offer it will have to do. If they get pushed to bankuptcy... then we'll have to get in line behind a long list of creditors, and not being preferred creditors at that, there might not even be bones left to pick when this all blows over😭

Super OT: Regardless of how sympathetic I want to be to the airlines, I think it is unhelpful that they have not been trying to be a bit more empathetic towards its customers. And while I understand that the situation is fluid, the least they could do is to be a little flexible with how they processed request for refund.

eg. I have a Scoot flight to BKK for late Mar. I decided to cancel the trip in late Feb. At that time, the flight was not cancelled and so my only refund option at that time was to claw back a puny 20% via changeyourflight. The refund was via a flight voucher valid for 6 months. Here's the kicker: the voucher can only be used for non-promo flight which makes it next to useless.

And just to add insult to injury, Scoot recently announced that they will offer a full refund for flights. My flight falls into the period but because I did not request for a refund directly with Scoot (which I was unable to do so even if I wanted to), I currently do not have that option. On hindsight, if I had deferred my flight instead of cancelling, I would not be in this predicament now. 

** END RANT ** :crazysmile:

4 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

Super OT: Regardless of how sympathetic I want to be to the airlines, I think it is unhelpful that they have not been trying to be a bit more empathetic towards its customers. And while I understand that the situation is fluid, the least they could do is to be a little flexible with how they processed request for refund.

eg. I have a Scoot flight to BKK for late Mar. I decided to cancel the trip in late Feb. At that time, the flight was not cancelled and so my only refund option at that time was to claw back a puny 20% via changeyourflight. The refund was via a flight voucher valid for 6 months. Here's the kicker: the voucher can only be used for non-promo flight which makes it next to useless.

And just to add insult to injury, Scoot recently announced that they will offer a full refund for flights. My flight falls into the period but because I did not request for a refund directly with Scoot (which I was unable to do so even if I wanted to), I currently do not have that option. On hindsight, if I had deferred my flight instead of cancelling, I would not be in this predicament now. 

** END RANT ** :crazysmile:

Ouch. I feel for you. 😧

I hate this virus! 🤬

Even if you DON'T get sick, everybody's taking a hit one way or the other!!!
@Lady Ice The only good thing that's happened about it is that the Earth has gotten (a little) time to heal from the reduction in pollution for these past 5 weeks. 😅

1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

I'm not sure who was really first to offer full refund. Was it SDM or Income? (Need to go back and check)

I have also received my refund from Income quietly on Sunday. 

SDM...

which-is-first.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RaijinFJ said:

Say... wasn't there an Ultra category in SDM some years back? I wonder why it was discontinued? 🤔 I wouldn't mind running before the sun goes down in the late afternoon then finishing at sunrise... that would be fun, provided they don't run out of water! 😜

uncle joined... not enough participants both local and overseas..

mostly, those that Ultra category in SDM some years back are Ultra runners, Triathletes who are IronMan.. and because HiVelocity founder is Ironman and got lots of Triathletes behind and support...and so with a takeover by F4U pte ltd over SDM....those loyalty participants left and are gone...

that would be fun, provided they don't run out of water! ...Camelbak or your 2 bottle Fuelbelt to this race for 10km Pit Stop...and challenging one...there are only 10 for your to have fun...in less than 18 hours (supposed to be 16 hours)...hot humid summer days...June...sibei shiok...sibei means in hokkien - die die very...shiok in rojak term...fun...that would be fun. 

Edited by kohpapa

41 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

uncle joined... not enough participants both local and overseas..

mostly, those that Ultra category in SDM some years back are Ultra runners, Triathletes who are IronMan.. and because HiVelocity founder is Ironman and got lots of Triathletes behind and support...and so with a takeover by F4U pte ltd over SDM....those loyalty participants left and are gone...

that would be fun, provided they don't run out of water! ...Camelbak or your 2 bottle Fuelbelt to this race for 10km Pit Stop...and challenging one...there are only 10 for your to have fun...in less than 18 hours (supposed to be 16 hours)...hot humid summer days...June...sibei shiok...sibei means in hokkien - die die very...shiok in rojak term...fun...that would be fun. 

Oh. So it was due to lack of participants.

It's hot here too, so I'm used to the heat (though they say Singapore can be a little bit hotter). So far, I've managed a little over 15 hrs for a 100k, so there would be an almost 3 hour allowance if the cutoff is at 18hrs 😇 It would have to be the (2 Liter) Camelbak for an ultra  though... 🤔

Then lie in bed unable to move the whole day afterwards hahaha! 😜 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RaijinFJ said:

It's hot here too, so I'm used to the heat (though they say Singapore can be a little bit hotter). So far, I've managed a little over 15 hrs for a 100k, so there would be an almost 3 hour allowance if the cutoff is at 18hrs 😇 It would have to be the (2 Liter) Camelbak for an ultra  though... 🤔

Then lie in bed unable to move the whole day afterwards hahaha! 😜 

yes, uncle slept 1 hour at Pasir Ris Beach, 1 hour at Changi Beach, and 1 hour at East Coast Park Beach...and still can make 18 hour cut-off...only regretted should have brought fishing gears along in Camelbak...zzzZZZ Sleep can Wait Ultra After...

but again, no more ultra marathon...memories only....those were fun time...

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 11/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, kohpapa said:

KM Dualthon 2014

km-duathlon.jpg

route0.jpg

route2.jpg

Yes, it was then, uncle seen the youthful group of the Infinitus team who was always ready to take up challenges which are "localised" because the event venue is manageable, and the size of participation is smaller than say few hundreds.

Uncle finally connected meeting Infinitus team on its KM Duathlon (Debut) as an Offical (race was sanctioned by ASTC - Asian Triathlon Confederation),

yes, uncle had met up with them then on discussion for race preparation, planning and logistics. Infinitus officials had shared that they were a breakaway from Hivelocity (then founder and owner of Sundown Marathon).

Sorry, off-topic, just sharing on First Impression on Infinitus..so far, they need more efforts to serve to the mess participation of more than 25,000....and not hundreds or mere thousands...

Edited by kohpapa

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

That is why, local organized races must be "awakened" and be responsible for their action to provide a certain level of professionalism in event organization and management through education, specialization courses, benchmarking of industry practices, as well as, feedback from the running community, such as sgRunners as whitleblower. 

whistleblower.jpg

Tsk..tsk..tsk.. we must stop being sia suay to ALL.

The government, or Singapore Sports Council in particular, will only pass stricter laws and regulations when there is some big shot who dies as a result of dehydration or safety regulations in these races.

Many local race organizers, unfortunately, are not so "socially responsible" for their paying customers and would rather cut cost than giving a safe and good race experience.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, beast said:

The government, or Singapore Sports Council in particular, will only pass stricter laws and regulations when there is some big shot who dies as a result of dehydration or safety regulations in these races.

Many local race organizers, unfortunately, are not so "socially responsible" for their paying customers and would rather cut cost than giving a safe and good race experience.

who sia suay big shot wants to take part in these races and still sia suay prepare to die as a result of dehydration or safety regulations in these races? 

"socially responsible" for their paying customers and would rather cut cost than giving a safe and good race experience should be why the government, or Singapore Sports Council (aka Sports Singapore) must take the issues seriously, and not merely feedback from you (so many years) and I (barely months in this forum thread), to sia suay them. 

Avoid and boycott them already a legendary member already said and acted so...OMG! so sia suay, no signup.

Edited by kohpapa

21 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

who sia suay big shot wants to take part in these races and still sia suay prepare to die as a result of dehydration or safety regulations in these races? 

"socially responsible" for their paying customers and would rather cut cost than giving a safe and good race experience should be why the government, or Singapore Sports Council (aka Sports Singapore) must take the issues seriously, and not merely feedback from you (so many years) and I (barely months in this forum thread), to sia suay them. 

Avoid and boycott them already a legendary member already said and acted so...OMG! so sia suay, no signup.

1) why the government, or Singapore Sports Council (aka Sports Singapore) must take the issues seriously, and not merely feedback from you (so many years) and I (barely months in this forum thread), to sia suay them. 

- Like I said they won't, until somebody important dies or some drastic thing happens. They will only implement something when it is broken.

2) Avoid and boycott them already a legendary member already said and acted so...OMG! so sia suay, no signup.

- For everyone that boycott, a new runner will sign up. There is no lack of participants for runs which is why we are always at their mercy.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, beast said:

1) why the government, or Singapore Sports Council (aka Sports Singapore) must take the issues seriously, and not merely feedback from you (so many years) and I (barely months in this forum thread), to sia suay them. 

- Like I said they won't, until somebody important dies or some drastic thing happens. They will only implement something when it is broken.

2) Avoid and boycott them already a legendary member already said and acted so...OMG! so sia suay, no signup.

- For everyone that boycott, a new runner will sign up. There is no lack of participants for runs which is why we are always at their mercy.

that is why, you and I must always remind...social responsibility mah...why wait for someone to die when you and I (just say, agree and disagree)...act on our consciousness (not government, or Singapore Sport) and why based on our decisions to why must they must be avoided and be boycott?

dear @beast, just a matter of asking, did you signup for this Sundown Marathon and  have you received your refund? for sure, in this forum thread, some of us have already made up our decisions, affirmatively.

OMG! no refund, no signup. OMG! so sia suay, no signup

Edited by kohpapa

24 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

that is why, you and I must always remind...social responsibility mah...why wait for someone to die when you and I (just say, agree and disagree)...act on our consciousness (not government, or Singapore Sport) and why based on our decisions to why must they must be avoided and be boycott?

dear @beast, just a matter of asking, did you signup for this Sundown Marathon and  have you received your refund? for sure, in this forum thread, some of us have already made up our decisions, affirmatively.

OMG! no refund, no signup. OMG! so sia suay, no signup

Sorry Kohpapa I am not following you.

As runners, yes we can make a stand by boycotting but like I said, there is no use in boycotting because there will always be people signing up, enough for them to profit and continue with their poorly organized runs. What else do you suggest we do then?

Without government intervention, race organizers are not going to take race safety seriously, not at the expense of hurting their profits.

For SDM, I opted for a race slot next year so I didn't request for a refund.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, beast said:

Sorry Kohpapa I am not following you.

As runners, yes we can make a stand by boycotting but like I said, there is no use in boycotting because there will always be people signing up, enough for them to profit and continue with their poorly organized runs. What else do you suggest we do then?

Without government intervention, race organizers are not going to take race safety seriously, not at the expense of hurting their profits.

For SDM, I opted for a race slot next year so I didn't request for a refund.

Good for you, stick to your decision on why and what you want for your running.

Definitely, sorry I don't follow you either on your decision.

Mutually, we agree on the same issue, that local race organizer needs to be "socially responsible", that we can follow. 

The rest are just mere opinions (Without government intervention) expressed in your strong views as comments. 👌

We meet again in Sundown Marathon 2021 forum, shall we?

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Ouch. I feel for you. 😧

I hate this virus! 🤬

@Lady Ice The only good thing that's happened about it is that the Earth has gotten (a little) time to heal from the reduction in pollution for these past 5 weeks. 😅

There are far more good things happening:

- More parents able to spend time and get to know their children better

- More people sleeping better (I think it is because the air is fresher and less stress of trying to go to work and get away from work)

- More time to repair things, get things sorted out in one's own busy life

- People are actually becoming creative and more are thinking out of the box

- More people are being kinder to one another

- We are slowly understanding what the essential services really means and that they are giving up so much more (sometimes and unfortunately their life) and hope after this they are remunerated better than what we pay them currently (nurses, dustbin men, care workers, etc). Did you know the sg govt gave up one month's pay and gave a special bonus to the health workers? Now NZ PM and ministers will be taking a pay cut of 20% for 6 months.

- Companies have learned that you can work from home and that meetings/training can be done online so personally am happy I do not have to spend time flying to different places to train others.

- The animal kingdom is feeling the effects (how are the bird songs in your area) and people are enjoying seeing more animals. The morning and evening bird songs have been amazing

- The air and water is cleaner which is a clear benefit to all living life

- And with that we will have better crop yields.....

More people need to see the "We" rather than the "Me" ;) 

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Agree with your views. Apart from possible health issue, I think there are more benefits. The Earth and nature certainly got a breather.

And I think there is people realize the happiness of life may not necessary tie to wealth or having a busy job.

For us runners, we have already been to many races for the past years. Take this as opportunity to relax those muscles and recovery.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Ouch. I feel for you. 😧

I hate this virus! 🤬

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

- More parents able to spend time and get to know their children better

- More people sleeping better (I think it is because the air is fresher and less stress of trying to go to work and get away from work)

- More time to repair things, get things sorted out in one's own busy life

- People are actually becoming creative and more are thinking out of the box

- More people are being kinder to one another

- We are slowly understanding what the essential services really means and that they are giving up so much more (sometimes and unfortunately their life) and hope after this they are remunerated better than what we pay them currently (nurses, dustbin men, care workers, etc). Did you know the sg govt gave up one month's pay and gave a special bonus to the health workers? Now NZ PM and ministers will be taking a pay cut of 20% for 6 months.

- Companies have learned that you can work from home and that meetings/training can be done online so personally am happy I do not have to spend time flying to different places to train others.

- The animal kingdom is feeling the effects (how are the bird songs in your area) and people are enjoying seeing more animals. The morning and evening bird songs have been amazing

- The air and water is cleaner which is a clear benefit to all living life

- And with that we will have better crop yields.....

More people need to see the "We" rather than the "Me" ;) 

2 hours ago, starfinder said:

Agree with your views. Apart from possible health issue, I think there are more benefits. The Earth and nature certainly got a breather.

And I think there is people realize the happiness of life may not necessary tie to wealth or having a busy job.

For us runners, we have already been to many races for the past years. Take this as opportunity to relax those muscles and recovery.

aiyo, started by @RaijinFJ, then replied by @Lady Ice, and agreed by @starfinder...

virus, health, earth and happiness...all come to join in to say goodbye@sundownmarathon2020 or celebrate Covid-19 Earth Day?

For us runners, we have already been to many races for the past years. Take this as opportunity to relax those muscles and recovery. 👌

stay strong, stay active in Exercise, stay home, wear mask always. 😷

Edited by kohpapa

Aiyoh - you and me talk talk too much. Always off topic 😅

Agree society needs to be re-adjusted. Am sure it will be now that things are coming to the surface :D

At least the new SDM organisation has been honourable and given back refunds. It's hard to see money come, money go.

But my hat off to them. As for routes and safety, maybe this will all be revamped with the break in sports :) And all athletes start to tone other parts of the body :)