Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 - [CANCELLED]

Use promo code: OSDMHAUT (25 Jan - 1 Feb) for 8% off Early Bird Rates

HuatSDb0000e35c64a1770.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

OSIM Sundown Marathon's Ambassador, Dr Ben Tan "Are you concerned about running during this period?"

osim2020.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

I've been quite dismayed by all the bad feedback this race has had for the past 2-3 years. To think most of the local runners on this forum have practically given up or "boycotted" the race actually says a lot about the reputation of the organizers (past & present).

Nevertheless, I have (stubbornly) signed up for this race 😅  since it was the only one being held in this part of the year (Dec-May) that are in temperatures I'm used to (I don't like temperatures below 16C!!!) 

I'll be lugging a 2 bottle fuel belt as an emergency water supply (given what was reported last 2019) and am not expecting much either. 

Prob. is, with this virus going around they just might cancel! 😬

We don't know what will happen in 2 months, but I'll still continue to train since I have a major race I'm planning for in Oct-November. Even if they cancel, I'm still coming over to run 42k, even if I'll have to do it as an LSD all by myself!!!  I wonder if some locals here can suggest some nice routes for a 26 mile long run there in Sinagapore if I have to "wing" it on my own?  😇

edit--->ah, I just found this thread: http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23858-singapore-is-uniquely-a-place-for-run-it-is-either-hot-humid-or-wet-humid/

Edited by RaijinFJ
  • Like 1

I did this 38km run few weeks ago along ECP, plenty of toilets and water stations along the way. 

18 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

I've been quite dismayed by all the bad feedback this race has had for the past 2-3 years. To think most of the local runners on this forum have practically given up or "boycotted" the race actually says a lot about the reputation of the organizers (past & present).

Nevertheless, I have (stubbornly) signed up for this race 😅  since it was the only one being held in this part of the year (Dec-May) that are in temperatures I'm used to (I don't like temperatures below 16C!!!) 

I'll be lugging a 2 bottle fuel belt as an emergency water supply (given what was reported last 2019) and am not expecting much either. 

Prob. is, with this virus going around they just might cancel! 😬

We don't know what will happen in 2 months, but I'll still continue to train since I have a major race I'm planning for in Oct-November. Even if they cancel, I'm still coming over to run 42k, even if I'll have to do it as an LSD all by myself!!!  I wonder if some locals here can suggest some nice routes for a 26 mile long run there in Sinagapore if I have to "wing" it on my own?  😇

edit--->ah, I just found this thread: http://www.sgrunners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23858-singapore-is-uniquely-a-place-for-run-it-is-either-hot-humid-or-wet-humi

Screenshot_20200222-151623.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, posfe2 said:

I did this 38km run few weeks ago along ECP, plenty of toilets and water stations along the way. 

Screenshot_20200222-151623.jpg

Actually, if you can DIY (Day or Night), then what's the point of Paying for the Race, and then get Cancelled with no Refund 😄 for whatever the Reason. The "Running Experience" is not guaranteed anyway..NO Hydration or Not..

BTW, if ECP is not Long for LSD, then continue from the end of ECP,  @posfe2  - Tanah Merah Coast Road (Park).

widened51f487d5a19c015c.jpg

bottom left is ECP - connects to Tanah Merah Coast Road >>> Changi Coast Road >>> Aviation Park Road >>> Changi Village Road (17 KM)

This stretch is totally NO toilets and water stations along the way. Only 6 shelters for you to "in case of rain", provide shelter with rooftop attached with "lightning" (Earth) only allow 2-3 person.

As for Toilet, look for the nearest bushes at nearest "State Land - No Entry, CCTVs are Watching You". Please "mark" your usage of  "pooloo" just in case the next runner "step" onto your unmarked "toilet" and curse you @()@ :"(

kitesurfinga8c3177ce0a22de9.jpg

Enjoy this one, if you wonder why you must always run and not do something else fun at the beach,  like Run Sand, Swim Open Water, and yes Surf with the "waves" or "kites on Waves". Changi Beach along Changi Coastal Park. Yes, join Fishing on high tides.

Enjoy DIY 30km if you start from Marina Barrage. ECP is only 10.5KM

@RaijinFJ, FYI  on previous Sundown Marathon Editions (notably the first 5)

image.png.9b3576d8fbdde3227b70938780a57216.png

Boycott is not our reason on why, because there was a change of Event Organizer. The previous Founder cum Event Organizer (Hivelocity) had truly "given runners - a challenging running experience"  till about 8-9th Edition which is why we PAID for the RACE.  Guaranteed in the Past👌.

Not anymore since then. With the new Event Organizer, untested because a small local regional player who is truly no global organisational capability, committed Major Road Run Foul - Hydration Not Enough. We cared more for the newbies who raced first time here and painfully reminded of it, because it is not expected and very unprofessional being Asia Largest Night Race Singapore has "No Enough Hydration".  Yes, our toilet (washroom or WC) is drinkable, Guaranteed 👌.

You got important race in Oct/Nov

2020WMMRaceDatestable.jpg

Chicago and NYC? All the best! Hope the COVID-19 should stay FREE by then. Cheers!

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

Oh, these seem to be nice running routes! I've copied the pictures and am studying them on Google maps.
All the way to Changi, that seems fun!!!

Thanks to posfe2 & kohpapa! 😊

Hopefully they won't cancel though, so I won't have to DIY a long run 😅 

By the way, I did a relaxed 33km LSD today, two months too early for Sundown in May! 😜😜😜
Just my little act of defiance to Covid-19. While we have to be careful, I won't let my worry about this virus control my life exessively. 

Hopefully, this optimism may inspire other people as well. We prepare for the worst, but hope for the best! 🥴

#Fight, Wuhan!!!
#Fight, Singapore!!!
#Korea, Fighting!!!
#Ganbatte, Nippon!!! (Japan do your best!)
#Fight, Manila!!!

Sunday Long Run.jpg

Edited by RaijinFJ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Oh, these seem to be nice running routes! I've copied the pictures and am studying them on Google maps.

please contribute your post on anything you have run to this sub-forum

thank you for your contribution, enjoy your running experience 👌

On 2/23/2020 at 1:39 PM, RaijinFJ said:

Hopefully they won't cancel though, so I won't have to DIY a long run 😅 

By the way, I did a relaxed 33km LSD today, two months too early for Sundown in May! 😜😜😜
Just my little act of defiance to Covid-19. While we have to be careful, I won't let my worry about this virus control my life exessively. 

Hopefully, this optimism may inspire other people as well. We prepare for the worst, but hope for the best! 🥴

#Fight, Wuhan!!!
#Fight, Singapore!!!
#Korea, Fighting!!!
#Ganbatte, Nippon!!! (Japan do your best!)
#Fight, Manila!!!

Nice... let's all hope we can all stay healthy by running and the race to go on... 

I am about to kick start training for this marathon.

It seems there is option for refund, apart from direct entry to next year's event.

11 minutes ago, starfinder said:

It seems there is option for refund, apart from direct entry to next year's event.

Yup... lucky u haven start... some already in midst of training..

3 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Yup... lucky u haven start... some already in midst of training..

I think those already in training will not mind as they properly enjoy the process.

As for me, I delay a bit until I completed a hike, which I just did. Had plan to start training this weekend though.

Posted (edited)

Special Announcement: Sundown Marathon Facebook

facebook.com-Official-Sundown-Marathon-S

uncle would like to wish all safe with sustainable "active" running program and maintain "social distancing" ...see all in 2021.

Edited by kohpapa

For everything that Infinitus may have done wrong last year, there is one thing that they are doing right this year that matter - an offer to REFUND!

Personally I am not affected but I certainly applaud Infinitus for offering something that not even some of the WMM organiser is doing. I'm sure this come at a great cost to them but in return, I think they have generated a tremendous amount of goodwill from the running community.

And that is something that you can't buy with money. 

So well done Infinitus! :goodjob: 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

For everything that Infinitus may have done wrong last year, there is one thing that they are doing right this year that matter - an offer to REFUND!

Personally I am not affected but I certainly applaud Infinitus for offering something that not even some of the WMM organiser is doing. I'm sure this come at a great cost to them but in return, I think they have generated a tremendous amount of goodwill from the running community.

according to this report...

correction.jpg

Spokesman from Sundown Marathon 2020 (F4U Pte Ltd) announced...directly.. and instructed to its 2020 race organiser, Infinitus Production, to refund to affected participants...

Note that, Sundown Marathon 2020 is owned by 4FU Pte Ltd, and they can choose any race organiser...we certainly applaud Sundown Marathon 2020 (F4U Pte Ltd) for the decision for Refund and instructed Infinitus Production (race organiser) to administer the Refund.

Well done, OSIM Sundown Marathon 2020. You have done the right thing. 🤗

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, lonewolf said:

The disasterous experience last year is something that cannot be bought with money too lol.

While one right cannot address all their wrongs, I have to agree that giving the refund option is a goodwill on their part. I have half expected them to follow what some other runs do and turning this into a virtual run, but glad they didnt.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, beast said:

The disasterous experience last year is something that cannot be bought with money too lol.

While one right cannot address all their wrongs, I have to agree that giving the refund option is a goodwill on their part. I have half expected them to follow what some other runs do and turning this into a virtual run, but glad they didnt.

honestly, the disastrous experience last year will be carried forward to 2021...and the cancellation is timely because there will be expected "low" turnout of overseas runners with "advisory travelling warning" worldwide...yes, already previous Die-hards and Locals had already "boycotted" or wait-and-see if things can improve in 2020...

refund option is a goodwill on their part...what if they don't?....more "negatives" and "boycotts" and "loss of loyalty runners" will be featured in 2021 forum thread 😃

better to end this forum

Edited by kohpapa

12 hours ago, starfinder said:

Start training for 2021 lah... It's never too early to do that.... 😊

3 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Start training for 2021 lah... It's never too early to do that.... 😊

I will still run lah, but lesser long distances. A 10 km run will be enough to keep healthy.

4 hours ago, kohpapa said:

honestly, the disastrous experience last year will be carried forward to 2021...and the cancellation is timely because there will be expected "low" turnout of overseas runners with "advisory travelling warning" worldwide...yes, already previous Die-hards and Locals had already "boycotted" or wait-and-see if things can improve in 2020...

refund option is a goodwill on their part...what if they don't?....more "negatives" and "boycotts" and "loss of loyalty runners" will be featured in 2021 forum thread 😃

better to end this forum

Sundown has had many disastrous editions more than successful ones, last year was one of the more disastrous ones. 

But poor runners like me got no other choices coz no money to go overseas runs. So support loh...

What if they don't refund? LLST coz runners always at mercy of organizers. Tokyo marathons makan entry fees nobody can say anything.

Better to end this forum. Kohpapa you too drama lah.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, beast said:

Better to end this forum. Kohpapa you too drama lah.

correction... Better to end this forum thread lah..bro..which cancelled in 2020 officially....see you in 2021...

uncle's drama continued to all is...

schedulef3d8d2610a438f90.jpg

so when will be Sundown Marathon 2021 new date?

Edited by kohpapa

19 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Ah, yes they did cancel, so I sent them a request for refund as they offered. 
I know its purely a gesture of goodwill on their part, since the contract originally said "no refunds" but they shouldn't make an offer if they won't make good on their word right? We shall see!

I'll post updates for this community to take note of how they handle it. 

Two weeks ago (before they decided to cancel) I asked them a general question by email but they never replied. 😅 It must be hard on them as they must have lost a lot of money on this too. 😅

Posted (edited)

While I am sad/disappointed its not going to push through, I agree with kohpapa that they did the right thing by cancelling the race.

The world is fighting a pandemic right now, and we have a greater responsibility before us in quelling a possible source for the spread of disease. So may people in the world are suffering , and we must be part of the solution by doing our share and making sacrifices for the good of all.

I think it would be so selfish for a runner to just to think of himself and whine just because he/she couldn't run a race!

On 3/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, starfinder said:

I think those already in training will not mind as they properly enjoy the process.

Yes. I know I do. I wouldn't run if I didn't enjoy it so much. As I posted earlier, I already did a 33km long run 2 months too early?!?!?!

Modesty aside, I'm sure a lot of us here can just simply walk out our doorstep any morning and run (jog for me, since I'm slow) a marathon because we belong to the category "ciao lang😜 (crazy person) - we generally speak Hokkien up here in Manila, not Mandarin.

But since SDM has been cancelled, I'll be limiting my LSDs to 21-25k, every other week only, and at a very easy pace (slow jog). For some silly reason, I find it relaxing. (Crazy, I know!) No hill training, fartlek or intervals as it will stress the body, and we have to keep healthy under these circumstances! 😅

Edited by RaijinFJ