Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 - [CANCELLED]

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

At least u r giving it a chance... haaa. .

I guess no choice bro. At this moment, my timing¬†is only good for local FMs ūüėÖ¬†And there aren't many¬†road FMs in SG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been running Sundown Marathon since the 2008 inaugural Adidas Sundown Marathon... Very interesting heartland run...crossed a handful of overhead bridges...started and ended at Changi Village.

I thought I can run three full marathons per year (2XU Compression Marathon, Sundown Marathon and SCSM), unfortunately 2XU Compression Marathon was  staged once in 2014 and was killed due to one "old" marathoner died incident.

I was hoping four SG Marathons are staging per year in quarter basis but my dream was dashed...

I'll continue to support the remaining two full marathons.

To date, my experience of Sundown Marathon are always "Good"...Never faced any drinking water shortage issue...

Edited by activerun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According Sundown Marathon FB - someone did ask the same question, finisher tee for 21km:

finishertee.jpg

website...yes

update from SD FB: More could not run because of

muslims.jpg

Wanted: North East Asia runners from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, and South Asia from India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh...seen them lately at 2019 SCSM.

You are most welcome to 2020 Sundown Marathon. Water more than enough this time, no worry.

 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 9:06 AM, kohpapa said:

thank u @RunWalkRun, 

Give support to sundown, the other evening Marathon which is a preparation for SCSM 2020

 

 

sundownmarathon.com-Sundown-Marathon-pag

 

sundownmarathon.com-Sundown-Marathon-pag

Unisex tee for run, choose 1-size down or remain status quo, depends which is the apparel partner in 2020? Anyone wants to share?

 

Confirmation, variation of 0.5 inches between Unisex tee and finishing tee for both HM and FM who intend to signup.¬†ūüĖē

<FB update and note : Finishing tee>

fb.jpg

Notable comments for SD Marathon: "like in SCSM".

No worry, if you never taken part in SCSM, just treat SD Marathon as HM and FM preparation for SCSM, that's all. :) 

Adapt to the muggy weather (high humidity) of local weather. When it is hot, it feels hotter (sweaty). If it rains you are drenched, feeling wet. If you have a torrential monsoonal rain with wind, it will help to chill you and feel wetter.

Well, well, that is running in a high humidity in Singapore. Experience the uniquely Sundown Marathon - Sleep Can Wait. Different from SCSM, HM and FM we start just a little -ve or +ve midnight, depends on the Organiser who will announce at later stage.

Of course, in SCSM, everyone always will refer to "wide" space for running, West Coast Highway. Be surprised, because a little story from uncle - once SD route included WCH, and the course was very similar to the SCSM 2018 and 2019. Unfortunately, the WCH route was "permission not allowed" because of the reason, commercially, the route is for heavy port container trucks. Yes, what if 2020 Sundown route also has the SCSM route look-a-like? I believed this time if Sundown Marathon wants to revive that alternative to SCSM, they will have to get the permit to open up WCH, meaning road blocks after 8pm - 5am notably "the gateway to Sentosa" and Harbourfront "shopping" mall. Any complaints from the public? zZZZZZ who cares?

You are going to have a hard and unforgetable unpredictable weather condition - Hot or Wet or Monsoon. Uncle once had Monsoon with thunder from 2am - 4:30am... the feeling is "wet" and "tired" wished that I could have ......

For all who had been through past editions of Sundown Marathons,  we had being all of them. You can always read past Sundown Marathon editions and find out yourselves.

Of course, like a recent SD FB feedback, "SD, you never listen to marathoners feedback, you like no experience."  Well, the truth is, they will never listen and read running community forum, because we already told you, they are amateurs. 

Enjoy, sign-up and share with us, your 2020 Sundown experiences here. :)

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Confirmation, variation of 0.5 inches between Unisex tee and finishing tee for both HM and FM who intend to signup.¬†ūüĖē

<FB update and note : Finishing tee>

fb.jpg

Notable comments for SD Marathon: "like in SCSM".

No worry, if you never taken part in SCSM, just treat SD Marathon as HM and FM preparation for SCSM, that's all. :) 

Adapt to the muggy weather (high humidity) of local weather. When it is hot, it feels hotter (sweaty). If it rains you are drenched, feeling wet. If you have a torrential monsoonal rain with wind, it will help to chill you and feel wetter.

Well, well, that is running in a high humidity in Singapore. Experience the uniquely Sundown Marathon - Sleep Can Wait. Different from SCSM, HM and FM we start just a little -ve or +ve midnight, depends on the Organiser who will announce at later stage.

Of course, in SCSM, everyone always will refer to "wide" space for running, West Coast Highway. Be surprised, because a little story from uncle - once SD route included WCH, and the course was very similar to the SCSM 2018 and 2019. Unfortunately, the WCH route was "permission not allowed" because of the reason, commercially, the route is for heavy port container trucks. Yes, what if 2020 Sundown route also has the SCSM route look-a-like? I believed this time if Sundown Marathon wants to revive that alternative to SCSM, they will have to get the permit to open up WCH, meaning road blocks after 8pm - 5am notably "the gateway to Sentosa" and Harbourfront "shopping" mall. Any complaints from the public? zZZZZZ who cares?

You are going to have a hard and unforgetable unpredictable weather condition - Hot or Wet or Monsoon. Uncle once had Monsoon with thunder from 2am - 4:30am... the feeling is "wet" and "tired" wished that I could have ......

For all who had been through past editions of Sundown Marathons,  we had being all of them. You can always read past Sundown Marathon editions and find out yourselves.

Of course, like a recent SD FB feedback, "SD, you never listen to marathoners feedback, you like no experience."  Well, the truth is, they will never listen and read running community forum, because we already told you, they are amateurs. 

Enjoy, sign-up and share with us, your 2020 Sundown experiences here. :)

I also remember fondly the year with the Cat 1 thunderstorm. Encountered it at ECP. The wind was blowing sideways and the hydration was half water half rain. After the finish, everyone gathered in a tent. With cramps and all. Ground was all muddy. The giant screen for the movies fell. Epic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I also remember fondly the year with the Cat 1 thunderstorm. Encountered it at ECP. The wind was blowing sideways and the hydration was half water half rain. After the finish, everyone gathered in a tent. With cramps and all. Ground was all muddy. The giant screen for the movies fell. Epic!

relive the story on first ever Lightning Cat 1... classic..Epic!

2012-SD.jpg

 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SDM 2019 also got rain. Around 5am, right after the UCL final. So those late FM finishers were hit.

I only ran the HM and was caught in the rain after watching the game.

But don't think I will be joining the 2020 edition.

Edited by Slow Runner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, Slow Runner said:

SDM 2019 also got rain. Around 5am, right after the UCL final. So those late FM finishers were hit.

I only ran the HM and was caught in the rain after watching the game.

But don't think I will be joining the 2020 edition.

Thank you @Slow Runner for your SDM 2019, and enjoy your UCL final. 

Uncle would like to acknowledge credit to our fellow sgrunners, FatBird, whose once were very active in this SDM forum in the past SDM editions because they were the PACERS. Their contributions and support for the SDM had been the reason why uncle goes Marathon. Uncle is greatful.

This is what Fatbird said about 2012 SDM:

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundoteamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

 

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

 

teamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundoteamfatbird.com-SundownMarathon2012Sundo

Latest on FatBird:

fatbird.jpg

 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, activerun said:

I have been running Sundown Marathon since the 2008 inaugural Adidas Sundown Marathon... Very interesting heartland run...crossed a handful of overhead bridges...started and ended at Changi Village.

I thought I can run three full marathons per year (2XU Compression Marathon, Sundown Marathon and SCSM), unfortunately 2XU Compression Marathon was  staged once in 2014 and was killed due to one "old" marathoner died incident.

I was hoping four SG Marathons are staging per year in quarter basis but my dream was dashed...

I'll continue to support the remaining two full marathons.

To date, my experience of Sundown Marathon are always "Good"...Never faced any drinking water shortage issue...

You must be a fast runner.... The water shortage was one of the key issues for slower runners for 4 or 5  editions of the SDM runs that I have participated since its inaugural...

There are also smaller scale marathons that you can partake to fulfill your "dream" of running a marathon every quarter...

50 hours non-stop, Bedok Reservoir, run Twilight run, Craze Ultra.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, beast said:

You must be a fast runner.... The water shortage was one of the key issues for slower runners for 4 or 5  editions of the SDM runs that I have participated since its inaugural...

There are also smaller scale marathons that you can partake to fulfill your "dream" of running a marathon every quarter...

50 hours non-stop, Bedok Reservoir, run Twilight run, Craze Ultra.....

I am just an average runner Beast.

I have participated a number of 50 hours run but I prefer fixed hours instead of flexi hours long distance runs which forced me to be more discipline to complete any runs in shortest time possible within my ability.

Just salute you guys that still active in running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

excuse me, both ultramarathon bros, can Uncle enlightened all here why Sundown Marathon also have Ultramarathons...

for those who always claim when Sundown Marathon started, some took part also in Ultramarathon....because the event comes with both FM and Ultramarathon 84KM...

(info - https://www.redsports.sg/2008/06/02/adidas-sundown-marathon-2/)

redsports.sg-A-race-for-people-to-rememb

 

redsports.sg-A-race-for-people-to-rememb

 

redsports.sg-A-race-for-people-to-rememb

 

redsports.sg-A-race-for-people-to-rememb

 

redsports.sg-A-race-for-people-to-rememb

 

and the events run concurrently...so for Ultramarathoners...just run 2 loops¬†lah..so easy¬†ūüėÄ..something that SCSM doesn't have...Ultramarathon...flexi or fixed...everyone is a finisher lah...

bro Fabian Williams Raj was uncle's inspiration¬†for ultramarathon and triathlon...congrats to you...ūüĎŹ...First Adidas Sundown Ultramarathon Men's Champion (2 x 42KM)..7:37:15

FW1bef5b541dd9a703.png

of course, if you still not run enough then 3 x 42KM - on time on target...fixed or flexible...complete any runs in shortest time possible within one's ability....50 hours non-stop.

@activerun, bro, only marathoners and ultramarathoners would have taken the courage and  challenge to sign up for the 2008 Sundown Marathon....and uncle saluted and respected you for saying water shortage issue was never an issue because you should have been more or less prepared mentally trained for Sundown Marathon then.

Yes, Sundown Marathon was originally organised as both Marathon and Ultramarathon races. In later editions, notable 3-4 editions, SDM adapted to SCSM, because of popularity demand that many who miss or DNF or DQ from SCSM wanted an alternative to Evening Run to run FM, and so Sundown Marathon adopted "SCSM format" for commercial reason ($$$) to statisfy the demand (notably the neighbouring countries) and Ultramarathon (a tradition for die-hard Ultras and Triathletes).

Past editions of Sundown Marathon forums, if some of you would want to browse for interest, you would have noticed that bros and sis were chatting more of who's who signing up for Ultramarathon. They had been trained and fit athletes and looking forward to Local Ultramarathon events.

For the challenge of 2020 Sundown Marathon is "be like 2019 SCSM" expectation and water shortage issue.

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, kohpapa said:

@activerun, bro, only marathoners and ultramarathoners would have taken the courage and  challenge to sign up for the 2008 Sundown Marathon....and uncle saluted and respected you for saying water shortage issue was never an issue because you should have been more or less prepared mentally trained for Sundown Marathon then.

kohpapa, I only trained physically for all Marathons and Ultra Marathons... in this reality world, that's no short cut to complete long distance run likes Marathon in "reasonable" time...it's the same as academic exams, to pass or to get better result, you've to put enough time to study/revise and of course study with "understanding" not "memorizing"...

Yes, Sundown Marathon and many other runs did faced water shortage especially for "not so fast" runners...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, activerun said:

kohpapa, I only trained physically for all Marathons and Ultra Marathons... in this reality world, that's no short cut to complete long distance run likes Marathon in "reasonable" time...it's the same as academic exams, to pass or to get better result, you've to put enough time to study/revise and of course study with "understanding" not "memorizing"...

Yes, Sundown Marathon and many other runs did faced water shortage especially for "not so fast" runners...

Just a side topic on Ultramarathon, and on bro @activerun for his contribution and sharing, thank you.

In 2011, Sundown because of having to host an increasingly popular "SCSM-tpye" Marathon, SD decided that they split the two events - 2011 SD Marathon and 2011 SD Ultramarathon with a spread of three weeks. 

On the year 2011, uncle trained physically for both 42KM Marathon and 100KM Ultra Marathon. To cut the story short, Ultra Marathon has a running format, that is in the 100km route, we are given to 10KM hydration and nutrition rest pit stop. Meaning Ultra runner must be self-contained in their hydration/nutrition needs for till every 10km of the route.  Of course, we have ice water to cool down ourselves, top-up, eat heartily the usual. However, we have a fixed time to finish. Yes, cut off time also. 

It was from the experience of the 10KM pit stop that uncle acquired the technique of overcoming the need to have top up hydration/nutrition...and uncle specialised for a maximum of personal 17km in practice after the Ultra Marathon..diy in gel/water/isotonic combo...

I will have to say here, unless you are trained to "endure" and only for the reason why, and not for "not so fast" runners who may be "newbies" in Marathon or even Ultramarathon to run without water (hydration). 

If you are thirsty, drink as much as you can. Not, there is no water to drink.

Singapore weather, with the High humidity factor, it is always of high risk to have "water not enough". Other than local, there are Foreign Runners who are not used to the local "hot and humid" environment.

As host of Singapore hosted endurance events whether it is Marathon or any non-running events, there should not have any water shortage for any event for our overseas guests.

We have no reason to fight nature for the sake of self preservation and survival for the passion of running, for "Fast" and "Not so fast", both runners have the right to water to drink as much as what they need when they are thirsty.

That is what happened in 2019 SDM, and we are here to remind 2020 SDM of their event host responsibility, please do not make the mistake again.

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually if Standard Chart starts to make it races in the evening, the "Feel" is so much like Sundown, both is running in darkness, (SCM only about 2hrs of evening brightness). Soon Sundown will lose its charm. Bec last time Sundown is the only race that happens when its so called "dark dark" and humid condition, now both SCM and Sundown feel the same, people will opt for SCM as gold label etc. 

Less and less people will sign up and there might not be anymore editions of sundown ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdiZero said:

Actually if Standard Chart starts to make it races in the evening, the "Feel" is so much like Sundown, both is running in darkness, (SCM only about 2hrs of evening brightness). Soon Sundown will lose its charm. Bec last time Sundown is the only race that happens when its so called "dark dark" and humid condition, now both SCM and Sundown feel the same, people will opt for SCM as gold label etc. 

Less and less people will sign up and there might not be anymore editions of sundown ?

Agreed, there should be a Day Marathon as uncle said in the earlier part of 2019 SCSM forum - Sundown Marathon should be renamed as SunRise Marathon or SunShine Marathon (Singapore)¬†ūüėé

As for @starfinder, "do you all ever encounter this 'water not enough' in overseas marathons?"

Yes, 2017 Sundown Marathon Taipei - Taiwan, overseas event 'water not enough'

Sundown became "To be Cheated" in translation below for everything not ok¬†ūüôĄ,¬†one of the reasons was¬†"hydration not enough".

 

cheated.jpg

 

 

Alamak, Marathon and Ultramarathon bros and sis, please don't come to Sundown Marathon forum here to "sworn" and make troubles loh.

Uncle wants to get Free FM Bib to promote Sundown Marathon - Sign-up for 2020 Sundown Marathon

1. Water is More than Enough.

2. Yes, HM Finisher tee also got better than SCSM don't have.

3. Sunglasses maybe got.

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sundown used to be such a big name in local race. Years ago even before I started to run, I have heard of how runners take pride in participating in this race. Think the more vocal hoo-ha started from that year where the race pack collection was a mess. 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, starfinder said:

Sundown used to be such a big name in local race. Years ago even before I started to run, I have heard of how runners take pride in participating in this race. Think the more vocal hoo-ha started from that year where the race pack collection was a mess. 2018?

In later editions of Sundown, Hivelocity (Creator and Event Organiser) had lost the "core" Ultras/Triathletes runners to the no more "Sundown Ultramarathons" after 2013.

Of course, the other "core" Muslim runners from around the region who had always participated simply because Sundown always falls on "fasting month". Challenging of faith to run on "fasting month"  is uniquely the reason why.

Uncle had this experience to share during the 2011 Ultramarathon, overseas muslim runners requested Sundown organiser for a designated area for prayer perhaps at the 10km Pit Stops or a "location" especially nearer to Break Fast time.

fast.jpg

Well, any muslim runner's voice of concern is important for Sundown because they form 1/3 of the overseas participants expected all the way around SEA to Middle East like Morocco. Muslim Affairs Public Relationship is important consideration in Sundown Marathon.

Of course, hoo-ha race pack collection, hydration not enough, till 2017 Sundown Taipei - Taiwan, embarrassingly, that was a local brand being marketed overseas also same issues. That is a North-East Asia market.

Typically in 2018, 4FU Pte Ltd bought over the franchise Sundown. No need to guess who was the event organiser then in 2018.

Only in 2019, Infintius Productions Pte Ltd, was to be anchored as event organiser for Sundown. A big bang Road Show was held 2018 Nov..

(info extracted for the purpose of what happened in Nov 2018 : https://bakchormeeboy.com/2018/12/02/preview-osim-sundown-marathon-2019/)

bakchormeeboy.com-Preview-OSIM-Sundown-M

bakchormeeboy.com-Preview-OSIM-Sundown-M

bakchormeeboy.com-Preview-OSIM-Sundown-M

bakchormeeboy.com-Preview-OSIM-Sundown-M

Of course, to have FM starts from $32, no lah, 5KM Fun Run (Adults).

This year, no Roadshow, no Theme, quiet just register.

Whatever, Sign-up for Sundown Marathon 2020, Water more than Enough, HM Finisher tee shirt also got.

Please support. No regrets.

Enjoy! 

Shh.. why uncle knew 2018 and lobang at F4U, because uncle got bro working there...that's why..

 

 

 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, activerun said:

I have been running Sundown Marathon since the 2008 inaugural Adidas Sundown Marathon... Very interesting heartland run...crossed a handful of overhead bridges...started and ended at Changi Village.

I thought I can run three full marathons per year (2XU Compression Marathon, Sundown Marathon and SCSM), unfortunately 2XU Compression Marathon was  staged once in 2014 and was killed due to one "old" marathoner died incident.

I was hoping four SG Marathons are staging per year in quarter basis but my dream was dashed...

I'll continue to support the remaining two full marathons.

To date, my experience of Sundown Marathon are always "Good"...Never faced any drinking water shortage issue...

I ran the sundown from 2008 too but the streak ended around 2015 where I found the race organisation getting from bad to worse .. frankly I dun rem that there was lack of water during the 2008 and 2009 edition even though we had to cross bridges by bridges.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 3:57 PM, starfinder said:

Just curious, do you all ever encounter this 'water not enough' in overseas marathons?

Never.... even for small 10km race I did long time ago in Basel, and  I was right at the back... also have hydration available...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I ran the sundown from 2008 too but the streak ended around 2015 where I found the race organisation getting from bad to worse .. frankly I dun rem that there was lack of water during the 2008 and 2009 edition even though we had to cross bridges by bridges.... 

In 2011 SD Ultramarathon,  the route also included cross bridges by bridges in Tampines and Pasir Ris (a rendition of 2008 and 2009 edition). Of course, we included traffic lights crossing assisted by traffic wardens along public housing HDB zones.

2011 Sundown Ultramaraton route

sundown-ultramarathon-100km-route1.jpg

 

My_Thoughts_on_a_Sporting_Event-page-001

Well, sadly to say, there was none 1000 expected in 2011, disappointing 300 or more, rest of those signed up...missing-in-action...lol

2008 Sundown Marathon and Ultramarathon route

sundown_raceroute.jpg

 


2013 Sundown Ultramarathon route (4 x 25km = 100km)

sundown-ultramarathon-2013.jpg

 


(info: https://www.redsports.sg/2013/09/17/sundown-ultramarathon-wong-hoong-wei/)

redsports.sg-Sundown-Ultra-Marathon-Wong

 

redsports.sg-Sundown-Ultra-Marathon-Wong

 

redsports.sg-Sundown-Ultra-Marathon-Wong

 

From 2015, the "core" die hard local marathoners also abandon Sundown Marathon Singapore, newbies Marathoners and other Categories and marathon tourists fill the gap.

"Starting with 6,000 runners in its inaugural race (note: Marathoners and Ultramarathoners), Sundown Marathon has seen participant numbers increasing more than four times to 27,500 in 2017 across seven race categories for the four race formats (5km, 10km, 21.1km, and 42.195km). It has continued to stay inclusive and attracts runners of all fitness levels and diverse backgrounds with marathon tourists making up 15% of participants in 2017."

2013-2014 "30,000"

who989233480a4a57d0.jpg

Boycott Sundown Marathon may be the more appropriate reason and action as expressed in this forum and from SDM FB.

Whatever, Sign-up for Sundown Marathon 2020, Water more than Enough, HM Finisher tee shirt also got.

Please support. Make this once 30,000 - 35,000 event strong again. No regrets.

Enjoy! 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something Sundown Marathon is different from SCSM, why no Team relays marathon . As long as you can run 5km more or less, just complete with Team Marathon, everyone has finisher tees and medals so easy.

Who says you must run HM/Marathon to get Finisher tee and medal?

Whatever, Sign-up for Sundown Marathon 2020, Water more than Enough, HM Finisher tee shirt also got. Team relays Marathon surely must have, everyone feels "Marathon" as TEAMs, "42.195 KM  Finisher (Team)"...sibei sweet.

Please support. Make this once 30,000 - 35,000 event strong again. No regrets.

Enjoy! 

Edited by kohpapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think at least this round the organizer is willing to give finisher shirt for HM. This itself is an improvement since I believe HM runners actually suggested for it. For me, I will not do a HM if there is no finisher shirt, simply becos I think HM is already considered a long distance and merits the shirt. Nevermind if it is a gimmick to attract more participants, but at least the HM runners go home with a shirt rather than just a medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Upcoming Events

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • OhMyGod, 50 pushups, well done ūüĎć ¬† Saw Lexus Tan facebook, he own self say know qi gong,¬†can apply.¬† ¬† I scare scare, should I call?¬†
    • Slightly OT, but from the Straits Times article quoted by Lady Ice: A time of 2:46:57 is fast of course. Impossibly fast for a slow runner like me, but whenever I look at race results from marathons elsewhere in the world, and compare it to the times of our best runners of countries in Southeast Asia, even if one were to exclude the times of African runners from the equation, our runners here in SE Asia appear to be outclassed. I've always wondered why???¬†ūü§Ē Even in Japanese marathons, the Japanese winner's times are usually at 2:30++ on average. Are we at some disadvantage because we live in a hot climate, compared to those in temperate countries? When I mentioned to a runner from Victoria (AUS) that I usually run in temps of¬†27-33C, his jaw dropped...
    • SCSM T shirts are also usually sold at the pre-race expo, not just in SCSM but also other IAAF certified¬†marathons in other parts of the world. The actual finisher shirt handed to you at the finish line¬†is of course¬†different though. I have nothing against those who want to buy a souvenir¬†or presents for family and friends back home, but I strongly believe¬†finisher shirts should be earned. Medals are usually just made of cheap metal or plastic, but to a runner, that "token" represents all the blood sweat and tears¬†¬†you put into finishing the race. I don't remember where I read this, but there was this story about a guy whose wife completed her first marathon in Chicago. He told his friend: "I just bought her an expensive designer bag. That finisher certificate she¬†got from completing the marathon probably cost the organizers a few cents to print.¬†If she had to choose between the two¬†of which to keep though, I know it would be that finisher's certificate & medal on our wall!"¬†ūü•ī
    • I‚Äôm not a local, so I didn‚Äôt know the story about that pastry chef, but the link to the Straits Times article was an amusing read. It said he picked up running in 2011, and only runs 1 km at each time (!?!?!?) on weekends, yet he managed to cover ¬†19kms in an actual race before giving up. I suspect though he probably walked most of that. If he could cover that distance running without training though, he must be either gifted, or very fit from another sport or life activity. Imagine what he would actually be capable of if he just took the time to train properly!
    • Oh, don't know how they got hold of them. But during last year's OCBC Cycle, I saw¬†the organizer selling past years' shirts at¬†the race pack collection venue. I think this is good recycling practice as there should be excess and will be a pity just to scrap them. As well sell cheap to cyclists who may want to buy them.
×
×
  • Create New...