Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 - 23 May (Sat)

1091306673_2020-05-23SDMBanner.thumb.jpg.90dd59584d5eed9e7606b337fab90460.jpg

867142160_2020-05-23SDMLaunch.thumb.jpg.a414bdb9628b5cc7663e4fd6ad2dc8bd.jpg

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/SundownMarathonSG/

[COMMENT] I wasn't sure about posting this since I had stopped participating in SDM. But since no one has posted yet and I see people asking about it in SCSM thread, so I thought I would update this. The response is good. When I passed the booth (right at the end of the entire race expo) at ard 12+, the purple 2019 Merchndise Tee have been fully redeemed! 23 May is the eve of Hari Raya.

Edited by lonewolf

2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

[COMMENT] I wasn't sure about posting this since I had stopped participating in SDM. But since no one has posted yet and I see people asking about it in SCSM thread, so I thought I would update this. The response is good. When I passed the booth (right at the end of the entire race expo) at ard 12+, the purple 2019 Merchndise Tee have been fully redeemed! 23 May is the eve of Hari Raya.

Thanks for helping to create the topic.

Good response means people had already forgotten about the disastrous issues this year..... no wonder we are always at the mercy of race organizers...

1 hour ago, starfinder said:

$65 for the FM is attractive. Just worried if hydration will run out....

Don't count on the greedy race organizers. Having joined this for so many years it is advisable to always plan for a backup...

It took Hivelocity years of horrible organization to get things up to just an acceptable level....Infinitus will be just like them.

2 hours ago, beast said:

Good response means people had already forgotten about the disastrous issues this year..... no wonder we are always at the mercy of race organizers...

Don't count on the greedy race organizers. Having joined this for so many years it is advisable to always plan for a backup...

It took Hivelocity years of horrible organization to get things up to just an acceptable level....Infinitus will be just like them.

Think Infinitus has organized a number of races before. Have seen the name but just don't remember which ones. Perhaps they have learned the mistakes of others and will not repeat them?

31 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Think Infinitus has organized a number of races before. Have seen the name but just don't remember which ones. Perhaps they have learned the mistakes of others and will not repeat them?

Infinitus is a fraction breakaway from core Hivelocity group which has once organised 70.3 Ironman Singapore, besides Sundown. Hivelocity has strong branding among runners and triathletes, local and overseas.

What Infinitus must do is to learn is to manage mega events with  global thinking, not simply local cheapskate effort (save pennies but lost pounds).

Compare with Ironman Asia on hosting of SCSM, Hivelocity can be second-rated due to the Ironman Global branding. Infinitus - tested in Sundown 2019 (First in Asia) - failed as Asia worst event organiser.

Infinitus learned from who? It itself does not know who to compare? Perhaps Ironman Asia can replace Infinitus as host of Sundown, and you will see the difference.

3 hours ago, beast said:

It is quite hard to forget a photo of runners lining up outside toilet in ECP to drink water ....

Just now at SCSM REPC. I was at Sundown booth almost wanted to sign up. My name on th form liao, but pulled back. Thought I see if there's improvement for this year, and perhaps will sign for the following year.

No hydration for FM, is unthinkable, a risk I don't want to take.

If after 1 year they still make the same mistakes, especially those critical ones like hydration, then they deserve to exit just like YOLO run.

16 hours ago, starfinder said:

If after 1 year they still make the same mistakes, especially those critical ones like hydration, then they deserve to exit just like YOLO run.

Well... if we all remember the issues when they organised the Sundown for Taiwan.... it just shows something about them...

5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Well... if we all remember the issues when they organised the Sundown for Taiwan.... it just shows something about them...

that was Hivelocity @ Taiwan before they sold the Sundown franchise to F4U...

Infinitus (the topic what is most important) has their own "triathlete" founder -

"As a veteran of almost 20 Ironman triathlon and full marathons, Jeffrey Foo, founder of the aptly-named Infinitus Productions, knows a thing or two about pushing himself to his physical limits."infinitus-1.jpg

infinitus-2.jpg

Under the leadership of Adrian Mok, HiVelocity developed several quality triathlon and marathon events..Successful large-scale events include the Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore Triathlon. Adrian is also the creator of Sundown Marathon for more than 10 years.

So who will inspire you more to host a premier iconic event Sundown: Adrian Mok of HiVelocity or Jeffery Foo of Infinitus? the battle of 2 founders who are also veteran Ironman themselves.

We must see the track record of Infinitus, importantly under founder Jeffery Foo, publicity and marketing efforts must ramp up Infinitus image of "are you sure you can host a no more mistake Sundown?" or you are just good for another YOLO run? If not, you deserve to exit!

From FB when they announced Sundown 2020

FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

19 hours ago, Peng San said:

Damn! Why on eve of hari raya? 

It is well-known that past sundown events  have been always before (fasting month) or eve or next day of hari raya. Likedat, missed opportunities for more $$$$$$$ from the muslim runners who want to participate..:(

Edited by kohpapa

Over the years, there were hiccups in past Sundown events here and there. Uncle is here just to make "noise" and tell grandmother stories.

Previously, as a Triathlon Official, in order for an event to be sanctioned under the Asian Triathlon Confederation (ASTC), uncle had the privilege and opportunity to be assigned to an Infinitus multi-event.  One of my tasks is to ensure that the route is ready and safe with consideration to event organiser's updates on preparation, the event in progress (all guidelines as laid out by rules and governance of the ASTC), simply this is a sanctioned race. 

Yes, it was then, uncle seen the youthful group of the Infinitus team who was always ready to take up challenges which are "localised" because the event venue is manageable, and the size of participation is smaller than say few hundreds.

Whether Infinitus can be benchmarked with Ironman Asia or not depends on the Management of Operations Crew and Volunteers.

Ironman is a global organisation. Hence, the training, administration and management of the most important manpower to serve the clients (aka we as customers) must be "world-class". We, who pay to run, would expect a "world-class" service of to be treated with minimal essentials - hydration, nutrition and safety (security). Anything less than that is a mistake. 

There had been past "controversial" issues that we discussed here prior to the Race - Why Stormy weather no alert? Why allow cheating of runners (rats) along ECP,? Why Sudden Cardiac Death of runner and ambulance takes so long? So boycott Sundown next year.

If we would reflect on Sundown Marathon 2019 forum, there were "logistics and hydration mishandling" issues relating to Sundown from Hivelocity and we would not expect Infinitus to repeat the same mistake like in Taiwan. We trusted that Infinitus (local but not global) to continue the iconic Sundown Marathon branding as Asia Premier Night Marathon.

Already in SEA, many upcoming marathons with Evening Running will be sprouting. There are alternative "overseas" events which can easily fill up the calendar in May/June of 2020. Of course, SCSM is already an evening Marathon event from 2019.

The humidity in May/June has been always high (a minus for any endurance run) and often the date clash with the Muslim Ramadan and Hari Raya (a minus for muslim runners who may come from the region like Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia). May/June is also the Inter Monsoon Season and there is possibility of "stormy-thunder lighting weather".

Hosting of Local Events must be comply to Road Closures and  the Do's and Dont's. There are specific conditions for allowing vehicle entry in and out of event locations. Clearance of allowing participants to run when "It is safe". For example, even if the barriers which are not placed properly are considered as "not safe". I believed that in 2019, when the announcement for "Sorry for the wait, we have instructions that we are not safe to run". Waiting at Pen area for even more than 5 mins is grumbling affair. If the wait is more than 30mins, temper surely flare. There was a wait of more than 45 mins for Pen C from gun time.

From uncle's impression, filing to get Permits for preparation for race, during the race and after the race (cut-off time) so that public roads can be open in 30 minutes must be complied, is a time-based administrative process. Need sketches of masterplan. Any change required an advanced period of wait and to be processed. A challenge to all race event organisers - Local Road (Route even to National Parks need Permits). Law and Enforcement on Road Closures, Road Barriers, and Route for Emergency must be properly filed in advanced - 3-6 months. These are expenses to have 3-party vendors (construct barriers, hiring of Traffic Control wardens, Medical First Aiders and yes, is there a Doctor during the Race) to ensure that Laws, Enforcement and Safety and Emergency Protocol must be complied.

Hosting of Sundown Marathon has to face to these challenges to attract participation against those who have a choice to "opt in" and "opt out" due to past bad "logistic handling and hydration" experiences (why don't have these weather precautions, and why water not enough?) and unable to participate due to clash with the Religious calendar (why cannot change the date?), and Local Law and Order Ordinance (Traffic).

Well, again, unless uncle is offered a free bib, "opt in" and "opt out" for an marathon event @ Infinitus (local and not yet or never Global)?

It has been great to be part of this forum to share. End.

Edited by kohpapa

13 hours ago, starfinder said:

I have signed up Sundown just now when I took the SCSM kit. Let's hope they really learned to prevent these mistakes again.

Did you sign up for FM or HM? ☺️

Ok... I did the same thing, I registered my 3rd FM with SDM even I haven't completed my very first one... 🤫🤪

24 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Ok... I did the same thing, I registered my 3rd FM with SDM even I haven't completed my very first one... 🤫🤪

I think in SG, SCSM and Sundown are the 2 FMs we runners have to go through lah

4 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Wah... then what is your 2nd FM?

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

Wah... then what is your 2nd FM?

Potentially in the end of March, but have not confirmed yet, need to wait for the result of balloting.

Will you be keen in Bintan Marathon? I am keen to do a HM or 10 km. I may have plans to stay for 2D1N. First day will be own cycling around Bintan and 2nd day do the run.

13 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Will you be keen in Bintan Marathon? I am keen to do a HM or 10 km. I may have plans to stay for 2D1N. First day will be own cycling around Bintan and 2nd day do the run.

04-05 July 2020, right? I need to think about that, as sometimes I have to work on Saturday... And I heard that the flag off time in this year was not too early, after sunrise, it's very hot, gonna be "human BBQ". Three years ago I went to Bintan for Spartan race, 26KM. It was in November, quite nice experience with trail run... ☺️