LiveFit

Rigth calves Cramp - 10days out

Hello Expert runners,

Can any one help me out how to taper in 10days ( for my 1st Marathon ) with my right calves cramp yesterday during my long run.. now I can feel the pain. 

What best training should I do and don'ts.

Thank you in advance ūüėä

compression.jpg

Hope this will help for your running gear, or/and use KT Tape.

May your first marathon be easier on the "calves"..

Edited by kohpapa

Do not do any running until the soreness goes away. You can probably do walking without pain

You might try a sports massage to go into your glutes and down the calf. This is so that you can ease off the tension from the back down.

Tape on the day of the race (as provided by bro Koh Papa) or wear compression socks but be aware that you will need to take this easy, otherwise risk pain mid-way. If you do feel pain during the SCSM, then see if you can rest a little and let the pain go away....then walk with small steps. If you try to run again once pain has set in 'cos you will risk a DNF.

Also change your mindset about the time you will get..... and if you want to achieve something, tell runners to please put their rubbish in the bin to keep the route litter free ;)  Look forward to your report . Enjoy the night

Edited by Lady Ice

7 hours ago, LiveFit said:

Wow! Thank you so much i will try it. 

Knowing that you are determined to do your first marathon without having the time to let your "soreness" heal and to recover, this is what will be recommended.

However, if the pain on the calves are "extreme", please stop running and just walk. There is another Marathon in another time, and so better to be injury-free next time.

"No pain no gain" is actually is not advocated in this running forum. However, many times, there are just "nursing" pain due to over training or even weather change which is cooler in the past days (wetter).

If your desire in this first marathon is how to take care of the "calves" during the run, my suggestion and solution is to "minimise" the discomfort, and not healing. The rest of your maiden marathon journey will depend on the will and determination to finish the race which you have signed up for.

7-day counting, and just like you, I am nursing an aging right leg, which I also have to prepare to "compress" with tape and knee-cap support. As with a wetter day ahead, need to have a "compress" running gear to keep me warm during the night.

trisuite.jpg

Yes, that will be what I will be ready next week, SCSM 1st Evening Marathon.

Best wishes, and listen to your body. Extreme pain is never encouraged to run. Let your heart and soul determines what is in your First Marathon.

Edited by kohpapa

@Lady Ice and @kohpapa

Thank you for your warm advices and concern. I really appreciate it.

Honestly, as of now from 1-10 the pain is 7. Yes, i will stop running and do walking instead. I still have 7 days to rest and recover. And hoping on the race day will be gone, If not I will take your advice to withdraw and wait for another time.

The thing is that a bit disappointing to train for almost 1.5months then suddenly injured. ūüė≠.

If ever I can make it on the race day hopefully I can get my target 4.50hrs under.. ūü§≠

Once again thank you so so much gurus. Keep you posted. Gudnyt!

If you're still in pain today, this is not cramp. Sounds more like a calf strain.

If you do make it to race day - revise your target.  The pain should be reduced over the next 3-5 days as long as you just walk, however you will find the calf pain will quickly come back once you start "trying to go for it" on race day.  Your target for your 1st marathon with a strain that will return is to simply complete the distance and learn from the experience. Remember to learn how to tape or purchase compression socks.

And remember you will get a PB whatever time you do;)

7 hours ago, LiveFit said:

Honestly, as of now from 1-10 the pain is 7. Yes, i will stop running and do walking instead. I still have 7 days to rest and recover. And hoping on the race day will be gone, If not I will take your advice to withdraw and wait for another time.

The thing is that a bit disappointing to train for almost 1.5months then suddenly injured. ūüė≠.

If ever I can make it on the race day hopefully I can get my target 4.50hrs under.. ūü§≠

Once again thank you so so much gurus. Keep you posted. Gudnyt!

Keep posted on your decision, because it may be in less than 7 days more, and physically you are able, but the thought of 7/10 pain could be just be reduced to less than 5/10 and even less.

The will of a runner, whether they should run in pain even it could be a cramp, they continued.

However, as pointed out by dear @Lady Ice I agreed that if it is a strain, a more serious consequences that will affect later if you should attempt on this marathon run (more tear/damage). For most cases, it is better you take the option of full recovery.

Again, in all cases, if you should say that why not, the spirit of "no pain no gain" option, as I have stated, there are ways to minimise the "discomfort", then let us know what are your "strategy", then we will still be listening, and hear you out.

Cheers, look forward to your final decision, on race day, are you going to "attempt" the most memorial maiden run of your life with this 7/10 Strain, and as I have said, we don't advocate "pain", but we have alternative path, how to make your running experience less "painful".

Of course, one of the option is complete as maximum distance that you can achieve, and you be the judge of yourself. 

As for myself, an aging leg is a long-term degeneration of muscles, and every pounding of FM is going to "hasten" the degeneration process. So does it mean I should just stop? 

I believe our body is responsive to our will and soul, and recovery can be "spiritual" and sometimes that spirit of "Just Do It!" overcomes our limited knowledge of our body.

If you should adopt a "Just Do It!", but take precaution steps to complete the race, then share with us, what do you intend to do. I am sure our dear @Lady Ice will be taking a concerned assessment of your action plan. 

We hope to hear from you, soon.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by kohpapa

On 11/21/2019 at 1:00 PM, LiveFit said:

my right calves cramp yesterday during my long run.. now I can feel the pain. 

Just sufficient information so that we can determine the causes with reasonable opinions.

Define "long run" in distance.

My opinion is in recent days, 

"Cold weather causes muscles to lose more heat and contract, causing tightness throughout the body. ... This causes more damage to the muscle tissue and can result in increased soreness."

We have always being mostly in high humidity (hot really) days, and so, with sudden change of weather, our soreness could be "pain" due to "tightness". 

@Lady Ice advocates massage is good remedy.

So, looking to recent weather patterns, and we have been alerted by our national weather forecaster that a cooler and wet Nov expected.

Hopely this will assure you that, it could be not so serious after all. Again, since we are just "gurus" in our honest opinion, it is better you determine the pain threshold with a professional practitioner in sports medicine.

If it is just cramp earlier on, the soreness should go away in about 3-5days... if still feel pain in calves, I think it could just be muscle overused... so rest more .. it should be fine..

Thank you for the excellent advice gurus. Yasss !!! just bought pair of compression and just tried last night it feels better.. ūüėä

20191126_173616.jpg

ūüĎĆ, @LiveFit¬†you are clear to go¬†for your¬†1st Marathon.

My only concern if that is your pair of shoes for your 1st Marathon, expect "black" toe after the run because shoe toe slightly "narrow" and not broad like EE size. 

I suspect that your cramp after a long run could be caused by your shoes - due to losing "spongy cushion" and instead the pounding on the ground impact on your calf muscles.

Of course, never change anything new, except your compression socks which you must "season" in them for the next few days with a reasonable run.

Congrats on your "Dare to Try" and "Just Do It!" attitude. Remember, if the pain is unbearable, stop running and simply walk. 

Edited by kohpapa

On 11/25/2019 at 6:32 PM, AutumnRunner said:

If it is just cramp earlier on, the soreness should go away in about 3-5days... if still feel pain in calves, I think it could just be muscle overused... so rest more .. it should be fine..

@AutumnRunner¬†thank you and yes you are right need to rest more. Still have 3 days more to rest and good to go..ūüėä

Edited by LiveFit

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

ūüĎĆ, @LiveFit¬†you are clear to go¬†for your¬†1st Marathon.

My only concern if that is your pair of shoes for your 1st Marathon, expect "black" toe after the run because shoe toe slightly "narrow" and not broad like EE size. 

I suspect that your cramp after a long run could be caused by your shoes - due to losing "spongy cushion" and instead the pounding on the ground impact on your calf muscles.

Of course, never change anything new, except your compression socks which you must "season" in them for the next few days with a reasonable run.

Congrats on your "Dare to Try" and "Just Do It!" attitude. Remember, if the pain is unbearable, stop running and simply walk. 

@kohpapa Yes! 101% cleared my mind to go for it! Since from the start I have this mentality to never back down and never give up on dreams no matter what! and whatever it takes. Sure, will do! just simply walk if the pain is unbearable. Thank you so much for that . 

By the way I didnt know what is EE size ūü§ę.. hehe care to share.¬†

Honestly, I'm a table tennis player, and shift to running ( I started running last year Nov2018 ). my dream is to be an average marathoner one day. So that's why I can't miss this event to debut. Hehe

Edited by LiveFit

Foot Width are typically available in 6 widths: B (extra narrow), C (narrow), D (regular), E (wide), EE (extra wide), and EEE (triple wide). 
Yours seem to be D regular - depending on brand. Nike/Adidas default D. New Balance has EE option.
Table-tennis player, uncle used to be one fine smashing-type player. We tip-toe alot when return oponents' shots. I suspect when you run, you will automatically adopt mostly "tip-toe, leg raise" running gait  and hence you shall lot of "muscle-pulling on your calf" - tension caused by too much "tip-toe" running only appropriate if you run short or sprint.
Endurance run is about, land on the mid of leg, and not "tip-toe" all the way for FM.
Edited by kohpapa

56 minutes ago, LiveFit said:

@AutumnRunner¬†thank you and yes you are right need to rest more. Still have 3 days more to rest and good to go..ūüėä

Jiayou... u can do it.. just rem to condition your body at it's best and toe the start line with as much body recovery as possible...

By the way, one more thing I need to ask. I'm always thinking what should I do 6 Hours before the gun time. 

Is it best to eat 4hrs before or 6 hrs before? Because I tried last 2 weeks when I eat my meal 3 hrs before running it really hurts my stomoch after 2.5km run. 

Also, someone advice me to take 500ml of isotonic drink 1hr before for marathon. 

Looking for your reply about fuel experience. Thanks..

33 minutes ago, LiveFit said:

By the way, one more thing I need to ask. I'm always thinking what should I do 6 Hours before the gun time. 

Is it best to eat 4hrs before or 6 hrs before? Because I tried last 2 weeks when I eat my meal 3 hrs before running it really hurts my stomoch after 2.5km run. 

Also, someone advice me to take 500ml of isotonic drink 1hr before for marathon. 

Actually, for 6pm run, you are completely warmed up. Unless you decide to take an afternoon sleep say for 2 hours for night - midnight run.

What you are referring to "I'm always thinking what should I do 6 Hours before the gun time. " is on a assumption day run. Frankly, the difference is you will need an early dinner which is for some as early as 3 pm for most.

So, no difference actually for evening run, because you will be hungry anyway when you run. So, regardless of what and when the time to eat, you need to consume a meal at least a big lunch or big lunch + light dinner. So, my advise, just eat when your stomach is hungry.

"500ml of isotonic drink 1hr before for marathon".. actually there will be plenty of this along the race route. Typically after every 2km or 4km- meaning at 2km only water...and maybe every 4-5km mark say 5km, 10km, 15km...water and isotonic drinks.

Yes, every HM route, 16-19km...gel station will be as fuel for quick energy. For FM, both 16-19km...and 33-37km..gel station and bananas.

So, from experience, uncle is running to feast on what you have "pay to run" - hydration - water and isotonic drink...nutrition - gel and bananas...yes for FM, at 25km - 28km..stn for snacks - crackers and gels...a way of saying, you completed HM, and you need to do another HM to complete FM, so feast for the finishing of FM

Btw, there will be running volunteer groups which give you free coke, and anything to feed you. Also, if you are injured, First aiders with medical spray on your cramps.

In the event, if you are "swept" because you have been "DNF - Did not finish" due to timing of 7.5 hours qualification, board coach and enjoy free trip closer to end point. Collect your goodies and entitlements ("pay to run"), and no eCert. 

Because this is not a Day Marathon run, hence, uncle's advise is based on this is an Evening Run from 6pm. Of course, in Sundown Marathon, we start from 1130pm - 12:30pm, so advice will be different.

Please ask anything as FM newbies.  

Edited by kohpapa

8 hours ago, LiveFit said:

It differs from person to person... if 3hrs is not adequate for u to digest, then better increase the time... 4hours sounds ok to me... 

As for drinks before a race, usually I just take sips of isotonic/water before I walk to the start line... no specific amount...

Halo Gurus,

Thank you for the help, manage to finish my 1st ever marathon after both quads and right calves cramps after 20km I almost DNF but my will to finish is stronger than my thoughts.  

For me it's a failure, I learned from this failure and I will counter this failure. I will be back stronger and faster.

Thank you once again for the advices.¬†I really appreciate it. I definetly ask you again gurus. ‚̧ūüėėūüí™

#KeepLiving

#KeepLivingStrong

#LiveFit2019

IMG_20191202_124600.jpg

Edited by LiveFit

Great work @LiveFit. The fact that you finished under tough conditions is already considered a success. There are many first timers and experienced marathoners who did not complete so give yourself credit that you had excellent perseverance and that you finished in a reasonable time for a first time + managed to delay your calf muscles from becoming sore until nearly the 1/2 way mark.¬†Hope you put all your litter in the bin during the run and didn‚Äôt follow the tossers ūüėÄ

Edited by Lady Ice

Also make sure you‚Äôre hydrating today with some electrolytes to reduce the length of time of body fatigue and go for walks to keep the muscles working and get some stretches in to get things loose. Join a pilates or yoga session ūüėÄ

Edited by Lady Ice

4 hours ago, LiveFit said:

IMG_20191202_124600.jpg

@LiveFit

Uncle salutes you for being in this forum (for newbies).

motivation.jpg

Well done! Good Job!

Thanks for being Thread Starter of this fantastic forum for sharing.

Edited by kohpapa