Sign in to follow this  
SG RED DEVIL

50 HRS NON STOP RUN 2020 (10-12 APR) POSTPONED

image.png.18c99a8ee27bb96faf4f8177c935ae57.png

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/twcsc

Register: https://www.events-sign-up.com/50-hours-non-stop-run-2020?fbclid=IwAR3dxM6OgKAAwGVxwN1XLB7I-6jwJKPZFAHdpZ-1dQeXmd9lGPeIyolY9wM

REPC:  5 Apr 2020 at Our Tampines Hub (OTH), 1 Tampines Walk, Singapore 528523. It will be held in the OTH’s Central Plaza which is next to the Hawker Centre on level 1
between 10am to 6pm.

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

Registration is opened today. To refer above link for registration if keen.

BYOB event 'cos no paper cups will be provided at hydration points. Distance & finisher T as per last year. New Fun Run non-competitive category is added to the Run and its for 1 lap of 4.3km only.

Lastly, slight increase of fee as compared to last year.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:37 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

Registration is opened today. To refer above link for registration if keen.

BYOB event 'cos no paper cups will be provided at hydration points. Distance & finisher T as per last year. New Fun Run non-competitive category is added to the Run and its for 1 lap of 4.3km only.

Lastly, slight increase of fee as compared to last year.

Thanks for the info bro.

OK with them to slightly increase their fees as they are still the cheapest and no frills HM/FM/Ultra you can find in Singapore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beast said:

Thanks for the info bro.

OK with them to slightly increase their fees as they are still the cheapest and no frills HM/FM/Ultra you can find in Singapore.

It's my pleasure Bro Beast. Yes agree with you on still the cheapest event.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:53 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

Keeping fingers cross for this event. So far so good.

Does that mean there are less than 250 signing up for the run? 

26 minutes ago, beast said:

Is possible less than 250 sign ups as it is a grueling 2 days event. 

If there is any race with a shot of continuing, it would be this one. 

With it's flexible run-own-time-own-target approach, there is very unlikely for a big mass of runners at the same time. And even if there is, it can be easily managed.

So while I am not running this race, I am rooting for it to proceed as planned. 

We need some good news amidst all these doom and gloom. 

9 hours ago, beast said:

I'm not sure but someone asked at their FB page & they replied yes to go ahead.

Anyway, not counting my chickens first after seeing so many events either cancelled or postponed so far. Lol...

A lot of things keep changing rapidly and dynamically in this special and tough period... We need to be prepared at least mentally for any expected and unexpected changes... 💪

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, beast said:

agree with this reason, Volvic Forest Force 50 (March 29) race stated reason for postponement in their event is they cannot meet this criteria

reason6fbdf79f0f79c9ca.jpg

one way is race with staggered waves...

another way is to start from different part of the route...timing can be synced...all start together (less than 250)...maintain 1m apart...marshalls ensure no "contact" between runners at all time...

honestly, it is a grueling 2 days event,  die-hard loyal runners will be glad to participate because of "bonding"...as long as less than 250...

and for the sake of Covid-19, organiser must offer option to [Opt-Out] and get Refund...

19 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

A lot of things keep changing rapidly and dynamically in this special and tough period... We need to be prepared at least mentally for any expected and unexpected changes... 💪

or better still...cancel or postpone...like most Races...

On 3/17/2020 at 2:06 PM, lonewolf said:

If there is any race with a shot of continuing, it would be this one. 

With it's flexible run-own-time-own-target approach, there is very unlikely for a big mass of runners at the same time. And even if there is, it can be easily managed.

So while I am not running this race, I am rooting for it to proceed as planned. 

We need some good news amidst all these doom and gloom. 

run68e8676fe3bc9834.jpg

run1.jpg

agreed, so far, all had been cancelled or postponed...except this one and Metasprint..under some pressure from overseas participants for making plans to attend their multi-event sports - Triathlon...April 19.

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Another event die die don't want to cancel. Just like 2XU and Safari Zoo Run. :crazysmile:

Mass running event is unlikely until Phase 3. And who knows when that will be? 

Edited by lonewolf

Someone asked for a refund at FB but was declined by Tampines West CSC as per condition, Rational Event & finisher tees cum medals are made already. Lolz...

Either gonna be virtual run from 25-27 Dec or entitlements to be given out based on majority runners' decisions. I would prefer to run at convenience within 50 hrs rather than Christmas day onwards.

image.thumb.png.7d1ec14da61f7235503b090a452c6afc.png

Posted (edited)

The organiser would like to propose 2 options for you to select [ Option 1 is to convert the Run to a virtual event over 50 hours (25 Dec 0700 to 27 Dec 0900)
Runners to submit their run using approved apps.

Is there a GPS watch that will last 50 hours?

The longest I know is a Garmin unit that maxes out at 36 hours (fully charged, and under ideal conditions -no signal interference from tress/buildings etc.)

If you use a phone, it may be possible if someone can hand you a powerbank to plug it into every few hours or so, but you'll rapidly decrease the lifespan of your phone battery by doing this. Now that most phone batteries are "locked in" and can only be replaced at a service center (unlike the old days when you could just buy a new battery and install it yourself) well, it may not be worth the hassle.

Also, even if you run solo and manage to not come across another soul for the next 50 hours doing this ultra, there's an active pandemic still spreading. Unless your're in Taiwan, New Zealand or Macao where they've nearly eradicated the virus (almost zero cases, and with country borders closed) wearing yourself out, and weakening your immune system for this may not be the smartest thing to do in a time like this. If one simply HAS to run this, well, I'd suggest taking the whole week off after the ultra and isolating yourself for a few days (like a stay at home notice) for your own safety. If I recall correctly, its the next 72 hrs after the event that are the most crucial, since your immune system will stil be surpressed from the residual stress. 😷

Edited by RaijinFJ

7 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

I am unsure about this as i am not an ultra runner hence did not research into it. 

This race does not require a runner to run continuously for 50hours. This race will be conducted in 50hours straight and runners can run anytime within this 50hours period to complete their registered distance. Correct me if i am wrong for those who ran this race before.

47 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

I am unsure about this as i am not an ultra runner hence did not research into it. 

This race does not require a runner to run continuously for 50hours. This race will be conducted in 50hours straight and runners can run anytime within this 50hours period to complete their registered distance. Correct me if i am wrong for those who ran this race before.

Yes, I guess you are right. I never participate before but as I stay near bedok reservoir, I saw runners going back take rest, have meals and continue their runs once they are ready again

10 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

The longest I know is a Garmin unit that maxes out at 36 hours (fully charged, and under ideal conditions -no signal interference from tress/buildings etc.)

Yes, there is. Brand is Coros. Good reviews from runners. Price is more friendly than Garmin.

Link: https://www.coros.com/apex.php

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Yes, you are right. 50 hrs will start from the date & time selected by runner. Distance to complete within 50 hrs whether continuously or long breaks in-between.

Posted (edited)

Ultras are primarily run & walk events because of the distances involved.

I haven’t met an ultra runner that doesn’t take walk breaks, and I don’t think even gifted folks like Dean Karnazes run the whole distance of his ultras either. I don’t know how the Tarahumara people conduct their running traditions, but even they have to drink & eat to be able to sustain their activity or they’d run themselves to death.

I’ve never joined this race, but for ultras based on time (rather than a set distance), usually, the objective is to cover as much distance as you can during the time given to you. For example, you can do whatever you want in those 50hrs – run a bit, walk a bit, eat, sit down and chitchat for a while or sleep, etc. but at the end of 50hrs, you show the officials how much total distance you were able to go. The one who was able to go the farthest is the winner.

If you ask me though, I prefer marathons. 😊

Edited by RaijinFJ

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

Yes, there is. Brand is Coros. Good reviews from runners. Price is more friendly than Garmin.

Link: https://www.coros.com/apex.php

Nice! Most of the models say 35/25 hrs full GPS mode, and 100/80hrs  "ultramax GPS mode".

I wonder what that "ultramax mode" would be? 🤔 (I'll have to read more on their website) Something like power saving mode on your laptop perhaps? As you said, the price is comparable to midrange Garmin models,  but I won't be buying a new GPS soon until my existing ones wear out. 😅

I'm not running any long distances for the time being anyway- I did a 32km LSD a few weeks back and later wanted to kick mysel😅for putting myself at risk like that (infections are spiking again over here). The primary goal right now is to keep the immune system maxed out  😷

Edited by RaijinFJ

3 hours ago, RaijinFJ said:

Ultras are primarily run & walk events because of the distances involved.

If you ask me though, I prefer marathons. 😊

I am 50-50 Ultra and Marathons as i have a few friends who stepped into the Ultra journey and got stuck to it all the way... The way to run Ultra is quite different from Marathon as timing might not be the primary consideration. In Ultra, there is a strong sense of comradery where everyone chat and talks to one another during the pit-stop or even during the run... in Marathons, it is lesser seen, except to your training buddies...