Sign in to follow this  
SG RED DEVIL

Mizuno MR25 Ultramarathon - 29 Dec 2019 Sunday

The 40th edition of MR25 Ultramarathon

Date: 29 Dec 2019 Sunday

Venue: MacRitchie Reservoir (Near Amenity Centre)

Each loop is around 10 km which consists of approx. 90% trail.

Format: 12 Hrs race format from 7am till 7pm.

Individual category (complete minimum 5 laps) Medal, E-Cert & Finisher T-shirt.

Mixed team relay category of 03 runners with 01 runner of opposite gender (complete minimum 7 laps) Medal, E-Cert & Finisher T-shirt.

Route: Will be furnished nearer to event date.

Registration: https://mr25-ultramarathon-2019.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138763256

Website: https://mr25.org.sg/2019/09/22/mizuno-mr25-ultramarathon-2019/

FB: https://www.facebook.com/MizunoMR25Ultra/?__tn__=HHH-R

Image may contain: text

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

Did not realize that the slots are limited till the extend of missing out the early rate & normal rate.

Wrote to the organizer if possible to register. Limited slots are re-opened for guy category again.

So for those who have itchy legs & still want to run, can consider to join this trail event before it closes again.

11 hours ago, beast said:

How did the run go? 

@beastbro, i attended the event yesterday. I enjoyed myself yesterday 'cos i always believe trail event is more challenging than road events. Unfortunately, i DNF on my 2nd loop due to sprain ankle during the process. Game over... Sianz...

This is my personal rating of this event:

Race Expo: 4/5 (Even though there are 3 booths, no queue at all & race pack consists of Bib, Pocari drink, 30% voucher, energy gel & post race recovery mixture)

Race precinct: 4/5 (Adequate hydration, toilets nearby, quick deposit at baggage)

Medal/Singlet/Finisher tee: 3.5/5 (Finisher tee design is nice but i did not managed to get due to DNF)

Post Race: 3/5 (Given bananas, water melon, water and pocari drink which is limited compared to Running Guild events)

Race: 4/5 (5 loops of 10.5KM within 12 hours. Trail Ultra- 90% trail 10% road)

Overall rating: 3.7/5

PS: Where i fall, i will come back to run again.

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

Uncle would like to congratulate @SG RED DEVIL, for accomplished an Ultra! Marathon Trail Run.

Finisher tee design is nice but i did not managed to get due to DNF....So run next year and get it "honourably".

Taken in previous TNFs and MR25. As uncle has shared in Ultra! Runs forum, which is more challenging for MR trail - running clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Uncle's immediate answer from experiences - anti-clockwise around MR route will be more challenging...terrain elevation is steeper on start...and running on Lap 1 is always the most challenging for run to start from wee hours of morning....your legs must be properly "warmed up" to go elevated terrain run...stamina of most endured "energy" is expired in Lap 1.

Unfortunately, i DNF on my 2nd loop due to sprain ankle during the process. Game over... Sianz...So what happens if the route is wet and muddy...what if yesterday was thunder storm?...and Lap 2 is like Lap 1...elevated terrain run again...

Where i fall, i will come back to run again. Sure, run the anti-clockwise MR route (more challenging) again maybe on alternate year (or unless MR25 agrees how about 41st edition of MR25 Ultramarathon repeat anti-clockwise) 

and prove to all... i always believe trail event is more challenging than road events....Agreed.

MR25 UltraMarathon format...fixed time with how many maximum laps you can acheived, don't just stop at 5 laps...lol...just for the nice Finisher tee...

rules.jpg

Join us at Ultra! Runs forum. Yes, trail running is discussed and shared there. No need to be Ultra! Trail, trail running is about the experiences and challenges of running outdoor nature, not like road run. 

Best wishes in your 2020 Goal for Ultra! Trail (Marathon) 😀

Edited by kohpapa

Congrats to bro SG red devil for attempting the run!

I have run Macritchie only a few times and do agree the start at the trail near Prumus is not easy since it is upslope for some distance. Can be challenge to especially a road runner like me.

I also prefer anti clockwise. Get the tough part out of the way first when the legs are still fresh, especially that slope at 2km mark. Also, I find it easier to go down those man made steps near the Venus drive and again near the golf course area, compared to climbing up the steps. 

7 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I also prefer anti clockwise. Get the tough part out of the way first when the legs are still fresh, especially that slope at 2km mark. Also, I find it easier to go down those man made steps near the Venus drive and again near the golf course area, compared to climbing up the steps. 

Yes, Agreed.

If @wonderfulblevic, remembered, there was a past edition of MR25 Ultramarathon, when there was "heavy thunderstorm at about noon"...and the whole routes turns to "muddy, trail"...most have to grip on to branches to stop "falling" down slopes...and fallen trees..so everyone got to do "log" running to prevent "black muddy earthly" trail...and anti-clockwise route some more...sibei sway should be the best word...

Edited by kohpapa

46 minutes ago, starfinder said:

I have run Macritchie only a few times and do agree the start at the trail near Prumus is not easy since it is upslope for some distance. Can be challenge to especially a road runner like me.

uncle run "4am" before...with trail lights...uncle's version of "night run - pre-sunrise or sundown or Energizer Night Run whatever...anticlockwise...start...

only sound is uncle's breathing at MR night run experience..many strange birds that seem to know where uncle is...and "ghostly" runners...in whites...

bukit-brown4566002191297f7c.jpg

so never run during 7th lunar month...anticlockwise...guarantee..DieDieNForget...and remember to wear Ultra! night sunglasses to see "ghostly" runners better besides sunrise at MR 😀

Edited by kohpapa

48 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

uncle run "4am" before...with trail lights...uncle's version of "night run - pre-sunrise or sundown or Energizer Night Run whatever...anticlockwise...start...

I have read runners doing like what you did uncle. Catching sunrise at the reservoir. Must be nice view!

My own nice memory was running from Diary Farm to Macritchie at 5 pm after rain. Route was muddy with rainwater still cascading down the slopes. Very surreal. Been more than 1 year still I am thinking of this nice experience!

1 hour ago, kohpapa said:

Yes, Agreed.

If @wonderfulblevic, remembered, there was a past edition of MR25 Ultramarathon, when there was "heavy thunderstorm at about noon"...and the whole routes turns to "muddy, trail"...most have to grip on to branches to stop "falling" down slopes...and fallen trees..so everyone got to do "log" running to prevent "black muddy earthly" trail...and anti-clockwise route some more...sibei sway should be the best word...

Uncle I don’t recall leh. Maybe it was before I started running or didn’t participate. However, I do remember at TNF race At Macritchie where there was a thunderstorm immediately after the race started! That race started early in the morning in darkness I recall. Quite epic also. Still have fond memories of that morning. 

18 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Uncle I don’t recall leh. Maybe it was before I started running or didn’t participate. However, I do remember at TNF race At Macritchie where there was a thunderstorm immediately after the race started! That race started early in the morning in darkness I recall. Quite epic also. Still have fond memories of that morning. 

Uncle was fortunately not involved in that Epic race (must be that one), simply limited slots only and also not a MR25 trail type who must faithfully followed the progressive MR25 trail training (which is a must for anyone in preparation and ready and run for MR25 UltraMarathon - uncle's advice)

But uncle did a silly thing...crash "race" FOC and ran 1 lap on that Epic...just to see "how hard to run in thunderstorm and rainy condition"...two words...VERY HARD.

Along the way, one senior auntie actually perseversed...told uncle, Lap 2 (at 1:30pm - 2 pm)...remembering, race started at 7am and finish 7pm...go and figure out, would she be able to get her Finisher tee on that Epic?

The North route (MR) is the 2km ascent (simply "facing" North-westenly direction) appropriately for anticlockwise route, was always the hardest and challenging especially on rain or wet or even hot days...the only way up on wet and slipper muddy condition is by the side, if there are branches, you pull yourself "walk up"..and there was no complaints on why walking is not allowed on the Epic, because it was one-human chain of ultra marathoners...

All activities of Run after 6pm is a rule at MR  - Cease Activities: Run at Your Own Risk. This applies to all Reserviors. 

I wished that senior Auntie got her Finisher tee, otherwise, she would also be DNFed.

That is why, for all who do Trail running at MR25 Ultramarathon, it is never the distance or time that decides, it is that spirit of Not Stopping and Carry On until When you are Told to Stop, you are truely a Winner. (Rule 2)

rules.jpg

mr25.jpg

Go beyond 52.5 km (Rule 1)....ordinary runners will emerge stronger...(Rule 1 + Rule 2)

Let's us be a Finisher and Winner (Rules 1 and 2) for MR25 Ultramarathon. 😀

Edited by kohpapa

57 minutes ago, starfinder said:

I have read runners doing like what you did uncle. Catching sunrise at the reservoir. Must be nice view!

My own nice memory was running from Diary Farm to Macritchie at 5 pm after rain. Route was muddy with rainwater still cascading down the slopes. Very surreal. Been more than 1 year still I am thinking of this nice experience!

you can do sungei buloh wetland sundown run ...and  run/swim/feed the crocodiles there also...either BBQ Croc Meat (Medium Raw) or Human Meat (Raw) as Finisher buffet...hope you can see Sunrise at JB, that will be a nicer experience!

Edited by kohpapa

9 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Uncle would like to congratulate @SG RED DEVIL, for accomplished an Ultra! Marathon Trail Run.

Finisher tee design is nice but i did not managed to get due to DNF....So run next year and get it "honourably".

Taken in previous TNFs and MR25. As uncle has shared in Ultra! Runs forum, which is more challenging for MR trail - running clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Uncle's immediate answer from experiences - anti-clockwise around MR route will be more challenging...terrain elevation is steeper on start...and running on Lap 1 is always the most challenging for run to start from wee hours of morning....your legs must be properly "warmed up" to go elevated terrain run...stamina of most endured "energy" is expired in Lap 1.

Unfortunately, i DNF on my 2nd loop due to sprain ankle during the process. Game over... Sianz...So what happens if the route is wet and muddy...what if yesterday was thunder storm?...and Lap 2 is like Lap 1...elevated terrain run again...

Where i fall, i will come back to run again. Sure, run the anti-clockwise MR route (more challenging) again maybe on alternate year (or unless MR25 agrees how about 41st edition of MR25 Ultramarathon repeat anti-clockwise) 

and prove to all... i always believe trail event is more challenging than road events....Agreed.

MR25 UltraMarathon format...fixed time with how many maximum laps you can acheived, don't just stop at 5 laps...lol...just for the nice Finisher tee...

rules.jpg

@kohpapa, thanks for your encouraging words. I will definitely be back to conquer next year.

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

Thanks @starfinder bro for your well wishes. Trail events are very limited in Singapore compared to road events. All of us strive for challenges rather than PB for road. Do start somewhere for a start if not when?

9 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

@wonderfulblevic  i hate climbing up those  long man made steps too. Lol... Worse was alot of foreign leisure walkers  blocking the way. Gathered at Ranger station talking loudly giving an impression you are at shopping mall instead at nature. Sibei suay.

9 hours ago, kohpapa said:

bukit-brown4566002191297f7c.jpg

so never run during 7th lunar month...anticlockwise...guarantee..DieDieNForget...and remember to wear Ultra! night sunglasses to see "ghostly" runners better besides sunrise at MR 😀

Wow 4am with trail lights! I don't think i have the courage like you to do it.

Read somewhere got white stuff at MR. I have seen elsewhere before so i do not wish to encounter again. You champion & have my respect.

10 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Wow 4am with trail lights! I don't think i have the courage like you to do it.

Read somewhere got white stuff at MR. I have seen elsewhere before so i do not wish to encounter again. You champion & have my respect.

did someone just ask for me "You champion & have my respect"

you-looking-for-me.jpg

don't let that  "fake news" uncle tell you more about MacRitchie story...otherwise, the Court of 18th Storey Down Below Hell will "sue uncle until his pants drop with all hell money go bankrupt"..

1. Watertomb is there, I am the white stuff who is always there.
2. Syonan Jinja (昭南神社, Shōnan Jinja, lit. "Shōnan Shrine") was a former Japanese Shinto shrine is also there.
3. Lim Bo Seng is also there.
4. Zigzag bridge is also there. Why zigzag?
5. Which is safer to run MR route at night? clockwise or anti-clockwise or none of the above?

You have been warned, "fake news" - don't play play...if you dared...make sure you have the courage to sleep at MacRitchie with me "You champion & have my respect"...

While you SleepCanWait, I-aka "You champion & have my respect" can Sleep-DieNeverFinish...prepare to have this forum thread Die-DieNeverFinish...if you dare ask uncle where locations at MR route? you have been warned!

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

To clarify, it is no longer a full loop for each lap, but its running from the Amenities Center to the Ranger's station and back? 

Hope this will not make the trails super crowded.

Posted (edited)

clarified.jpg

MacRitchie Reservoir Park, Singapore has hikes ranging from 2.5km to 13km, through jungle and around a reservoir, with a good chance of seeing wildlife.

0KM - 10.5KM are Markers which are strategically placed for hiking.

To clarify, it is no longer a full loop for each lap, but its running from the Amenities Center to the Ranger's station and back? 

RACE ROUTE.png

According to the Race Direction of the Lap, it is an anti-clockwise all the way following the Hiker's Marker Placed along the route is 0KM - 10.5KM is actually 1 Lap.

Running from the Amenities Center to the Ranger's station and back (5km+ let's say 250m x 2 = 10.5KM) can be feasible because 1 Lap is new 10.5KM and this is also an anti-clockwise from Start to End.

Uncle does agree with @Beast's, technically, it is still the Race Distance is for 1 Lap of new 10.5KM

Hope this will not make the trails super crowded.

No, this will definitely make the trails super crowded. The route is going to split into 2 paths - ongoing for those go to Ranger's station and outgoing for those returning from Ranger's station.

It depends on the MR25's decision whether in future MR25 Ultramarathon, would they want to adopt Running from the Amenities Center to the Ranger's station and back is 1 Lap is new 10.5KM Or follow MR route 0KM - 10.5KM which is 1 Lap.

So what if the MR Route is clockwise, then all will have to Start at Ranger's station to the Amenities Center and back to the Ranger's station?

Yesterday after 5pm, uncle actually ran the 1 Lap from the Amenities Center (Toilet and Shower Facilities are there). That is 0KM Start >> Ranger's Station is 5KM + 250m >> Returned to OKM End at the Amentities Center 

Just good enough to take a deserving shower and feeling more refreshed and relaxed after 1 Lap of 10.5KM around MR Route or did I not? 😁

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)

Somehow not completing an entire anti clockwise lap doesn’t seem like a real lap. Perhaps it’s just nostalgia for me. Used to do the same lap since secondary school days. That’s more than 3 decades ago. Running to rangers station and back is like running 200m on a stadium track and u-turn back. Haha. 

Edited by wonderfulblevic

Posted (edited)

cross country day for uncle is always 5km...typical MR25 trail actually..

we always start from the Amenities Center then anti-clockwise to the IPPT stn  just nearer to the Golf Course Link, turn out to Lornie Road...chong Lornie Road with traffic..back to Amenities Centre and complete with medal (uncle always Top 3)

for MR25 Progressive 25KM...traditionally follows this 5km cross-country route..then follow the anti-clockwise 2 x 10km will be the Northern Route, past Ranger Stn >> Observation Tower >> Boardwalk >> Golf Course Link >> Lornie Road >> Amenities Centre... 

mr25.org.sg-MacRitchie-Runners-25-page-0

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

cross country day for uncle is always 5km...

we always start from the Amenities Center then clockwise to the IPPT just nearer to the Golf Course, turn out to Lornie Road...chong Lornie Road with traffice..back to Amenities Centre and complete..

Yes uncle. Cross country for me is anti clockwise from the zig zag bridge to IPPT and then chiong back to amenities centre (last time is a car park) via Lornie road. But during training teacher coach make us do 10km loop via northern trail. Sometimes even go further via SICC. 

Edited by wonderfulblevic