Sign in to follow this  
posfe2

Tokyo marathon - 1st March 2020

47 minutes ago, posfe2 said:

Woohoo, after 4 years of trying, I finally got in!

Results are out today. All the best! 

Anyone else? 

Congrats.Faster find and settle hotel by end of this week!

5 hours ago, posfe2 said:

Anyone else? 

Congrats bro!

I did it last year! Really a good running experience to run in Tokyo! All the best for you!

I didn't get it for next year though! Will keep on trying! Haha.

23 hours ago, posfe2 said:

Anyone else? 

Congrats, get ready to book your accommodation.

Lookout for PocariSG, normally they will arrange some sort of seminar/sharing session about the Tokyo Marathon  

19 hours ago, posfe2 said:

Thanks all!

Is it better to stay near the finish line or the starting line?

Different people have different opinions. 

Stay near finish line - walk less after the run.

Stay near start line - more control of time in case overslept or other situations.

I always choose stay near start line.

Edited by beast

When I did my run this year, I stay at Hanzomon area, on the other side of Imperial Palace from the finishing area. I found it quite nice, not too far from either start line or  finish line. The marathon started at 9am? at Shinjuku area, so you don't have to really wake up in ungodly hours like in normal SG running event.  

On 9/19/2019 at 1:02 PM, posfe2 said:

Anyone else? 

I've balloted for the 4th consecutive time and finally got lucky too! So I guess we're both 4th time lucky. 😀 I'm so excited and happy as its my first WMM. Happy training! 

On 10/3/2019 at 11:24 PM, akane81 said:

I've balloted for the 4th consecutive time and finally got lucky too! So I guess we're both 4th time lucky. 😀 I'm so excited and happy as its my first WMM. Happy training! 

Ya! Happy training as well! 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

Congrats, get ready to book your accommodation.

Lookout for PocariSG, normally they will arrange some sort of seminar/sharing session about the Tokyo Marathon  

Thanks for the tip, will be looking out for it in January. 

There's no official news from the official site yet but a lot of new site has already reported that the Tokyo Marathon for the General public has been cancelled because of COVID-19. 

SOURCE: 

The Asahi ShimbunMembers of public barred from this year’s Tokyo Marathon

NYT: Tokyo Marathon to Cancel Entries From General Public: Tokyo Shimbun

Bloomberg: Tokyo Marathon Canceled for 38,000 Runners, Tokyo Shimbun Says

The Tokyo Marathon 2020 will be held only for the marathon elites and the wheelchair elites

Source: Tokyo Marathon Foundation

confirm.jpg

1. Available Option
We will allow all registered runners to defer their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021.

Runners who have deferred their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021 are required to pay the entry fees for the 2021 event.

Abiding to the Entry Regulation, the entry fee and the donations received for the Tokyo Marathon 2020 will not be refunded.

Runners who have purchased the Tokyo Marathon 2020 Signature T-shirt, the item will be shipped following the event.

2. Eligible Runners
All registered runners of Tokyo Marathon 2020 (semi-elite, general, charity, 10km)

3. Note
Please be aware that depending on further situations, the conditions may change.

Further information on the entry deferral to the Tokyo Marathon 2021 will be announced following April 1, 2020.

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, GoengSeung said:

But sian liao have to cancel air tix

Yah, same here, will incur some cost. But most importantly, I want to keep my slot even though it was my personal decision not to go ahead with the race, therefore still quite happy with the latest development. 

3 hours ago, akane81 said:

https://www.marathon.tokyo/en/news/detail/news_001576.html

Official announcement just came, its canceled but all runners can defer their entry to next year, entry fees not refundable though. 

Woohoo! It's good news for me as I've already decided last week that I wont be making the trip this year. 

Good decision 👌 @akane81, there will be another race another time. Better be Safe.

Edited by kohpapa

On 2/18/2020 at 10:51 AM, beast said:

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a30965124/runners-cancelled-tokyo-marathon/

I don't understand why China runners get to defer their entry slots and need not pay their entry fees again, but the rest of the runners need to?

According to the Chinese notice that came out later, they withdrawing that from the Chinese runners as well, and China runners probably need to pay the entry fees like the rest. 

https://www.marathon.tokyo/en/news/detail/images/0217_relase_runner_ch.pdf

Sucks for us who have been training for this race for the past 4 months. But I understand their decision and respect that. Was hoping to run a 2:55 marathon there. Looks like I will be running the Gold Coast Marathon this year. Hopefully by then the virus will be contained.

Also, Seoul marathon isn't looking too good either, given their current outbreak. 

23 hours ago, posfe2 said:

Sucks for us who have been training for this race for the past 4 months. But I understand their decision and respect that. Was hoping to run a 2:55 marathon there. Looks like I will be running the Gold Coast Marathon this year. Hopefully by then the virus will be contained.

Also, Seoul marathon isn't looking too good either, given their current outbreak. 

2:55! Wow!😅 

I don't think I'll ever get to that level since I'm getting on in years...

I did consider doing the Sydney Marathon (September) or the CIty to Surf for Active Marathon in Perth (August) instead of my Oct or Nov race, but I'm hesitating. (I don't know if I'll get flagged/scolded by the admins for saying this here) but in Australia I occasionally come across people who, uhm let me just describe as... "not nice". They may not be openly shaking their fists in your face telling you to get out of their country, but they sure will make you feel unwelcome- even if you're not doing anything wrong, are acting on your best manners, and speak fluent English (I grew up in America). You know what I mean? 😓

Now with this virus scare going on, I'm worried they may not treat Asians too well (or even worse) 😨
The world is a big place, and there are many other places to go to in the meantime...

Edited by RaijinFJ

^ I was thinking the same thing. I was optimistically hoping for the outbreak to mellow down by summer (for the northern hemisphere) but then I realise even if that happens, the underlying tension might still be there. So I'm just going to sit out on all international marathons until WHO declares the end of pandemic.

Support local events for now!