Sign in to follow this  
ZZIZZ

Marina Run 2020 - [Postponed]

10 hours ago, lonewolf said:

While I may understand why the decision  has to be made to postpone the event, I think it's kind of shi**y that EPIC-ESR does not offer to refund the registration fee. 

By 'automatically' signing those who registered to an new unannounced date is ridiculous. There is no guarantee that those who signed up for the run for 15 Feb 2020 will be able to make it on the rescheduled date. 

Given the fluidity of the situation, maybe they overlook this. And I hope EPIC-ESR will honour refund once the rescheduled date is announced. We'll see but given their patchy track record, I will not hold my breadth. 

8 hours ago, beast said:

Exactly. I think the immediate concern of many of the runners is a refund, which is common sense and should not have been overlooked. Just adding a simple liner of saying that the procedures for the refund will be made known together with the new date will prevent many of the people asking about it.

My guess is with the race in 16 days if no change, Marina organizer should have paid all their vendors. So from their point of angle, postpone to a later date is better than full refund. That's why no mentioned of full refund.

The other reason is not much runners joining this race if you noticed that they keep giving better discounts as compared to loyalist rate till registration suspended. So full refund they will incur heavy losses either way.

PS: Run for Light & Run for Hope events are going ahead instead of suspension of events from what i am seeing.

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

didn't sign up this year race but I think they should refund since they don't know dalay till when and it may clash with some participants others commitments then

Epic ESR Pte Ltd FB with reactions from participants

(extracted https://www.facebook.com/epicesr.sg/)

marina-run-2020.jpg

Refund Option:

International participants - travel arrangements and cannot attend any future date

Re-schedule date may clash with personal schedule

Race pack collection date postponed

2021 Slot Option:

Save slot for Marina Run 2021?

Edited by kohpapa

On 1/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

Run for Hope

"As the well-being of our participants is our primary concern, in light of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation, we wish to inform you that Run for Hope 2020 on 23 February will be postponed to 16 August 2020."

On 2/5/2020 at 6:23 AM, AutumnRunner said:

This is another victim where race is postponed... not cancelled though...

Relay For Life is cancelled.

At least this event is still going ahead. Just postponed only.

Posted (edited)

Who is Epic ESR Pte Ltd? founded by 3 triathletes

aboutcdd0c8e6ec5a4066.jpg

Feedback from previous events organised by Epic ESR Pte Ltd...

justrunlah.md.jpg

justrunlah1.md.jpg

heat now brewing in their facebook...

FB63b3611f68836869.jpg

There is no Refund Policy. 

OMG! No Refund, No Sign-up.

So, is Entry Fees considered as Deposits as Agreement, and now the party that gets to keep the Deposits because as an Alternative, Virtual Race is replacing the Real Race. We have no refund policy, and there is no reason to postpone for the remaining of the year because of Covid-19.

How much are Entry Fees (aka 100% Deposits collected)? mmm...worth alot..assuming a participant pays average $70...race.jpg

so let's supposed 9,000 x average $70...over $600,000....wah...

Edited by kohpapa

Marina Run is quite popular. Many runners take this as the first race to start their year of running. I myself took part in their 10 km last year.

Posted (edited)

Just like before Covid-19...everything is both good and bad...in the past...

Importantly is...did you sign up and will you want to get a Full Refund like the rest?

Income Eco Run (no Full Refund Policy), and Sundown Marathon Singapore (no Full Refund Policy)...but offer both Full Refund and Defer to the next year from SDM. Both Organisers honoured that within 3-4 weeks, Full Refunds from where they paid - credit/debit/cash. Surely, all here from these 2 organisers were glad and $$$ in their bank/credit card, right?

Cancellation with Covid-19 is a known world-wide fact - even if there is an option to postpone...it does not look good because of Restriction Requirement of say 5,000 only. Everyone knows. So it is reasonable to offer an option for Full Refund.

Thumbs up and all the best for your Virtual Race...

virtual-race.jpg

let's say over $600,000 collected from registration fees....surely worth the effort....to organize one Virtual Race - Marina Run 2020...

not surprising why many participants in fb want Full Refund, maybe when considering what is the standard entry fee for Virtual Race vs paying registration fee for a real Race...honestly...a lot of difference..

Edited by kohpapa

The registration for the run started last year. I am not surprised it is like what the organizers said much of the money have already gone to pay the suppliers/contractors and thus have no time to nego any kind of delay payment or cancellation to them.

But I think they can postpone to later half of year or next year. Of course if they can full refund will be best.

Virtual race is definitely not worth that kind of registration fees the runners pay. Runners are paying for a total experience in a race and not that kind of 'lonely' feeling running solo.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether in the future the event organizers will buy the insurance, if any, but also not sure whether there is such type of insurance to cover the events affected by such a pandemic/disaster ...

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, starfinder said:

The registration for the run started last year. I am not surprised it is like what the organizers said much of the money have already gone to pay the suppliers/contractors and thus have no time to nego any kind of delay payment or cancellation to them.

Income Eco Run 2020 if it had gone ahead...was yesterday...26/4...gave Full Refund...nothing on issues about money spent on suppliers/contractors.

Sundown Marathon Singapore 2020 has already committed to about $1 million if this race is to be gone ahead as planned to run (23 May) which is about a month from now. Also gave Full Refund for those who opt for it.

8 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

I'm not sure whether in the future the event organizers will buy the insurance, if any, but also not sure whether there is such type of insurance to cover the events affected by such a pandemic/disaster ...

Next is to look at 2XU Compression Run 2020 who has a No Refund policy for whatever reason, including pandemic/disaster.

2xu.jpg

Seoul Marathon - offered insurance more of injury prevention on race. Similarly for Income Eco Run with medical insurance on race. Participants would have to buy their Personal Protection and Medical Insurance, while Overseas Participants need to buy their own Travel Insurance.

Organizers need to define in their Rules & Regulations : Cancellation Policy - Refund/Postpone.

Or simply greed in "profiteering" from the pandemic by acting blur about there is No Refund policy.

Was there a policy about postponing?...No..and was there a policy that says after option of no more postponing during the year?  No..and was there a policy that says it must be a Virtual race as Substitution...No..

Then since both parties had no agreement prior of the race that there would be pandemic situation..and like what Income Eco Run or even Sundown Marathon Singapore did...a Full Refund..as goodwill and loyalty ends the race..Cancellation because of Covid-19.

Edited by kohpapa

11 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Or simply greed in "profiteering" from the pandemic by acting blur about there is No Refund policy.

Was there a policy about postponing?...No..and was there a policy that says after option of no more postponing during the year?  No..and was there a policy that says it must be a Virtual race as Substitution...No..

OhMyGod,

Organizers stop act blur, Runners want Refund.

OhMyGod believe,

Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done. 

Basically most runners will not bother to read the terms & conditions which include myself honestly. Sign and be there on REPC & actual event.

I also believe that 99.9% organizers will have a clause of no refund if i'm not wrong. I'm talking about general & not due to just COVID-19 only. It can be a heavy thunderstorm on the actual day itself.

So in my opinion if any organizers ie. Sundown, Income ECO etc  that refund will be out of goodwill. Hopefully we runners will remember them and rejoin following year. Unless there is some permanent law ie. Lemon Law to protect runners, we runners have to suck thumb on this matter at the mercy of these unscrupulous organizers.

So if any runners want to sign for any run event, no choice have to open eyes big big to read terms & conditions to know your rights.

OMG......this is extraordinary times. 

Please do the right and honorable thing and refund people money. 

Not racing not because I choose not to turn up or change my plans and travel ovrseas on event day. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kcslchin said:

Please do the right and honorable thing and refund people money. 

Not racing not because I choose not to turn up or change my plans and travel ovrseas on event day. 

by then, it will be more expensive to travel because of Covid-19...

travel.jpg

Your Marina Run 2020 Virtual Race can be completed anytime, with option to extend to 2021 if more opt for it...still a No Refund because there is no such Policy.

Edited by kohpapa

On 4/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, kohpapa said:

by then, it will be more expensive to travel because of Covid-19...

travel.jpg

Your Marina Run 2020 Virtual Race can be completed anytime, with option to extend to 2021 if more opt for it...still a No Refund because there is no such Policy.

So many things during this COVID-19 period is no longer follow policy. 

For example: Can apply for postponment to repay loans or insurnce premiums.

And virtual runs......I never ever signed up for them, even if cheap like $10. Why must I pay for own run just to collect a medal?  Still must self-time, bring my own hydration (or drink/buy along the way). A written policy may be there but how an organiser treats its participants, that will be remembered. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kcslchin said:

So many things during this COVID-19 period is no longer follow policy. 

For example: Can apply for postponment to repay loans or insurnce premiums.

Parliament: Proposed laws will protect event deposits from being forfeited, but do not mean immediate refunds, says Shanmugam

(straits Times reported April 7, 2020)

straitstimes.com-Parliament-Proposed-law

straitstimes.com-Parliament-Proposed-law

we had a previous discussion on this with @beast, @lonewolf...legally, Event Entry Fee is not Event Deposits, and SLA (Service Level Agreement) was never signed, but Races signed up are always Paid In Full without the Participants reading on the Terms & Conditions or Rules & Regulations...have you?

@SG RED DEVIL had mentioned that in future, need to be ready to read on the R&R before sign-up for any Race...should we be signing on what we agreed first and not signup on what we do not agree like OMG! No refund, no signup?

Unless, a collective petition by Participants affected by the No Refund is to appeal to the Law Minister, yes, this is still possible because So many things during this COVID-19 period is no longer follow policy. ..why not...collectively say for 10,000 who paid $75 on average...that is almost $3/4 million...being held by race organizer claiming they paid for cancelled expenses and costs to vendors...is there evidence on that payment, how much...there is never transparency in accounting?

Importantly, we had not been an informed consumer as Participant to Races, and it is time we must be "awakened" because of Covid-19.

And virtual runs......I never ever signed up for them, even if cheap like $10. Why must I pay for own run just to collect a medal?  Still must self-time, bring my own hydration (or drink/buy along the way). A written policy may be there but how an organiser treats its participants, that will be remembered. 

virtual-race.jpg

loyalty discount of 50% off the registation fee for next year's (2021) fee...

thank you, we are "enlightened" by Covid-19, because we finally "awakened" to see our virtual reality as Community Runners by why many non-running Communities who have been calling us "KumGongs" or simply Village Fools...why you pay so much money for a Run Race when you can do it for Free? Worst of all, do you know what you just sign-up for? Sounded more like Charity Reason, enriching the pockets of Race Organizers.

Outdoor Exercise (Run) is essential during CB SG, and so most here can be excused from wearing Mask. Run Events are not essential, even after CB, they are still not essential. We will still be called "KumGongs" by others because we never read and agree on what we sign-up in an non-essential event, and we want that to change, right after CB SG.

Edited by kohpapa

It is very individual perspective. Run free or pay to run are just so different. Mainly, you get to enjoy running in the company of many runners. Sweat together and complete the runs together. The feeling is just different. In short, we are paying for the experience and memories. So, I am prepared to be a 'KumGong' in the long haul.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, starfinder said:

It is very individual perspective. Run free or pay to run are just so different. Mainly, you get to enjoy running in the company of many runners. Sweat together and complete the runs together. The feeling is just different. In short, we are paying for the experience and memories. So, I am prepared to be a 'KumGong' in the long haul.

Covid-19 changes all that, bro...KumGong.

Sweat together - you sure...10m apart?

Paying for the experience and memories..Covid-19 uplorry...together?

Let uncle shared in recent days, Runner (no mask), Brisk Walker (mask)...reminded.."Uncle, stay distance away from me, ok?"

You be sure, more non-running community is going to say, Run Event, Take Cruise Ship to Nowhere...because of Social Distancing...lol 😷

Edited by kohpapa

7 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Covid-19 changes all that, bro...KumGong.

Sweat together - you sure...10m apart?

Paying for the experience and memories..Covid-19 uplorry...together?

LOL. Uncle, I very optimistic one. This covid 19 will be over and many things, such as these races, will then be back to normal😄

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, starfinder said:

LOL. Uncle, I very optimistic one. This covid 19 will be over and many things, such as these races, will then be back to normal😄

Individually, you cannot decide like in the past. Social norm is Exercise (Run) is essential, Run Event is non-essential. Why not Virtual Run? Limit run to not more than 500, 1000, 5000. Then how do you be determined to be qualified...Run Fast Fast to Qualify loh...

This is why, Qualifying is an important criteria.

Run fast fast in Race also better Safe Distancing, as well as Social Distancing. In the past, KumGong Runner complains Walker KumGong in Race. Now, Slower KumGong complained by Faster KumGong why hoard the Race Route, pleze lah, train up before Race, this is not your Grandpa's or Grandma's race...nothing changes in KumGong Race?  

Just a matter of interest consideration for Overseas KumGong who wish to join local race...Restrictive, or how about...Take a Swab Test or Quarantining as Guest KumGong for 2 weeks before upgraded to Race KumGong...for we have no idea if Guest KumGong has A or B or C or mixed ABC Covid-19 type...

Some local races depend on participants from Overseas...30% as a rough figure?

WHO and MHO (Local Authority) sets the Rules (Laws), so we shall wait and see, what's Updates at Covid-19 and its impact on Races and leave our Bros and Sis get updates from the Marina Run Organizer..Virtual Race.

This covid 19 will be over and many things, such as these races, will then be back to normal...there will a new global behaviour movement called social distancing responsibility....let's us look forward to what will be a new norm then we say lah...otherwise, Fine, Jail or Both😷

Edited by kohpapa

8 hours ago, starfinder said:

understand what u mean.... running in a paid race is really an experience which cannot be found in virtual races, run free, etc....

My take is all of us run for various reasons so no right or wrong here. Some do not wish to pay 'cos running is free or felt that the race is expensive. Some run for experience, ELM medals, streak race etc. 

At the end of the day, we run for passion is all that matters.