Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

Marathoner Soh Rui Yong Omitted from SEA Games 2019

Posted (edited)

“In the case of the nomination put forward by Singapore Athletics (SA) for Soh Rui Yong’s participation at the 2019 SEA Games, the selection committee has decided to reject SA’s nomination,” SNOC said.

“Since the 2017 SEA Games, there have been numerous instances where Soh has displayed conduct that falls short of the standards of attitude and behaviour that the SNOC expects of and holds its athletes to, considering that they are held up and seen as representatives of the country and as examples to our sporting youth.

“As such, the SNOC has decided to reject SA’s nomination for his national representation at the 2019 SEA Games.”

Full Story:  Marathoner Soh Rui Yong blasts SNOC president Tan Chuan-Jin after SEA Games omission

Wow! Really SNOC? Soh may not be an angel and speaks his mind but I'm not sure he deserved this. His spat between Ashley is a matter before the court. In a sense, the SNOC has made a prejudgement and determined that Soh is wrong in this matter. 

Soh's omission opens a can of worm which I'm not sure if the selection committee fully comprehend. That is a slippery slope. 

Personally, I do not agree with the SNOC's decision. 

Edited by lonewolf

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Full Story: [urll=https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/marathoner-soh-rui-yong-blasts-snoc-president-tan-chuan-jin-after-sea-games-omission] Marathoner Soh Rui Yong blasts SNOC president Tan Chuan-Jin after SEA Games omission [/url]

Wow! Really SNOC? Soh may not be an angel and speaks his mind but I'm not sure he deserved this. His spat between Ashley is a matter before the court. In a sense, the SNOC has made a prejudgement and determined that Soh is wrong in this matter. 

Soh's omission opens a can of worm which I'm not sure if the selection committee fully comprehend. That is a slippery slope. 

Personally, I do not agree with the SNOC's decision. 

I also don't like Soh's  public display of his personality, but to a large extent that makes him a more genuine person than many others, as he often doesn't hide his words/feelings.

Soh also had a very high chance of defending his 2 time marathon gold medal, and he's not just any small fry that should be easily omitted. The article did mention that there has been numerous disputes between Soh and SNOC, so it should not just be the spat between Ashley which went public. There is definitely more bad blood between Soh and SNOC behind the curtains that led to his omission from the team.

EDIT: From ST here is a brief summary of the disagreements between the two parties:

August 2017: At the SEA Games, Soh breaches the SNOC Team Membership Agreement by promoting his personal sponsors on social media. He is given a formal warning.

Later, he cuts multiple holes in his racing vest, which he wears on his way to his second consecutive gold medal. Singapore Athletics' attire sponsor 2XU terminates its sponsorship SA of four months later.

September 2017: A month before he is to receive $10,000 for his gold medal under the SNOC's Multi-Million Dollar Award Programme (MAP), Soh, citing a lack of support, says he does not wish to give 20 per cent to SA - a requirement under the membership agreement he signed with SNOC. He eventually relents.

October 2018: Soh disputes fellow marathoner Ashley Liew's account of his act of sportsmanship at the 2015 SEA Games - for which the latter received an international award after being nominated by the SNOC.

April 2019: The SNOC serves Soh a legal letter asking him to retract his statements about Liew and the award. Soh does not comply, and SNOC later decides to "reserve its legal rights" as Liew commences his own legal action.

June 2019: In a Facebook post, Soh accuses the SNOC of bias in his dispute with Liew.

August 2019: Soh's nomination for the 2019 SEA Games in Manila is rejected by the SNOC, which says his conduct falls short of the standards it expects of national athletes.

Edited by beast