Jump to content
lonewolf

Batman Run Singapore - 21 Sep 2019 (Sat)

Recommended Posts

I think  you mean you cancelled your post and not that the race is cancelled right?  :crazysmile:

You may want to edit your post to avoid confusion. :jump:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I think  you mean you cancelled your post and not that the race is cancelled right?  :crazysmile:

You may want to edit your post to avoid confusion. :jump:

Apologies lonewolf. Wanted to delete the wrong post but cannot find so typed cancelled. Not realizing a-bit misleading.

You are right that can be handled better. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those wondering what @matey1982 is posting,  here is the same post so you dun need to download the pdf.

I

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how this race is going today. Anyway, the race wasn't cancelled as per facebook, some people complained that the organizer used PM2.5, instead of PSI as the reference. I totally understand that the situation is critical and it's also tricky for the organizer, it feels like "riding a tiger"...  By the way, the SCSM Pacer Run was also cancelled this morning with PSI at 130+ in the early morning, I woke up at 5AM, but luckily received the cancellation news, right before I stepped out my home.  In the past week I only ran 6KM outdoor, at around 8AM yesterday morning when AQI was slightly better and within the healthy range.  I'm also a bit confused which one we should follow: AQI, PSI, PM2.5. (Should be the first two).

Anyway, the health should be the top thing for all of us... let's wait patiently...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fortunately the haze didn't throw a spanner into today's run.

did the 8km run (although the app GPS agaration the distance 7.96km) and almost match the pacers
i thought it was good to have the colourful balloon

and I shud haf taken 1 or 2 more of the night glowsticks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

 I'm also a bit confused which one we should follow: AQI, PSI, PM2.5. (Should be the first two).

Anyway, the health should be the top thing for all of us... let's wait patiently...

I think NEA was quite clear in its guidelines. There is no confusion. People confused themselves by referring to other index like AQI etc. 

Use the 24 hrs PSI for planning activities you planned to do later on. eg. have a picnic at the Barrage in the late morning or early afternoon.

Use the 1hr PM2.5 reading for activities you planned to do now. That would include going for a run. Or brisk walk etc.

Quote

Air quality indicators and health advisories during periods of transboundary haze refer primarily to the 24-hour PSI. There are no accompanying health advisories for any other air quality indicators. In addition, the main air pollutant during the haze season is PM2.5. Hence, the 1-hour PM2.5 concentration readings are a good indicator of the current air quality. Use this for immediate activities like going for a jog.

hazy

SOURCE: https://www.haze.gov.sg/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one peculiar thing I noticed from this race was that a lot of the crew were PRC aunties and uncles. :|

I'm not sure how that come to pass but they were manning the hydration points at the barrage and along the routes as marshals. It was obvious from their accent that they were PRC. 

I thought it was a wasted opportunity that Pink Apple din go all out and installed a Bat signal at the top of the barrage. That would have been an awesome site against the slightly hazy night sky.

And now imagine the F1 helicopter picking up the Bat signal on the F1 coverage and broadcasting the Bat Signal over the Singapore Skyline all over the world.

For one night, Singapore would have been Gotham! :crazysmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lonewolf said:

I think NEA was quite clear in its guidelines. There is no confusion. People confused themselves by referring to other index like AQI etc. 

Use the 24 hrs PSI for planning activities you planned to do later on. eg. have a picnic at the Barrage in the late morning or early afternoon.

Use the 1hr PM2.5 reading for activities you planned to do now. That would include going for a run. Or brisk walk etc.

hazy

SOURCE: https://www.haze.gov.sg/

I think the confusion doesn't come from NEA, but from the organizer who initially say that they will be using the PSI index as the gauge to determine if the event will still carry on. But closer to the flag iff, when the PSI is at the unhealthy range, they switch to using the PM 2.5 reading at normal as the gauge to decide that the race will proceed.

This has happened to the Yellow Prison Run and now Batman run.

Agree that the decision of the organizer to go ahead with the planned run as far as possible, having seen all the efforts of putting the run together not gone to waste. To avoid miscommunication, they should just say they will make the final decision at a pre determined time, without saying what gauge they will use beforehand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beast said:

I think the confusion doesn't come from NEA, but from the organizer who initially say that they will be using the PSI index as the gauge to determine if the event will still carry on. But closer to the flag iff, when the PSI is at the unhealthy range, they switch to using the PM 2.5 reading at normal as the gauge to decide that the race will proceed.

That is a different matter.

I was responding to what @ ZZIZZ was saying about being confused about which index to follow: AQI, PSI, PM2.5 when deciding on whether to go for his training run or not. 

Quite honestly as a participant for both YRPR and Batman Run, I really dun care which index they choose to follow in the end. I just needed to know if the race will proceed or not and in what form eg. 10K cancelled, distance shortened etc.

As long as the information is communicated in a timely manner (and in both races it was), I am not too bothered about whether its the 24h PSI or the 1h PSI that they used to make their decision. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the 8km two weeks ago, I was 10min late and was surprised that the barrage was spookily quiet when I arrived, almost thought I went to the wrong place. Then I realised everyone had flagged off and this is the smallest scale fun run I have ever participated (totally surprised again). I managed to catch up with the main group and overtook the last few walkers/runners, but it didnt look like there were more than a few hundreds participants. I'm not sure if it was due to the haze or the hype of fun runs dying down, participation rate really unlike the Star Wars Run I took part in last year. I remember the organisers were still promoting the race when it was very near the event, so probably signup was low. 

I was glad that the race was not canceled due to the haze but it was quite unpleasant running in the unhealthy haze range that evening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, akane81 said:

Did the 8km two weeks ago, I was 10min late and was surprised that the barrage was spookily quiet when I arrived, almost thought I went to the wrong place. Then I realised everyone had flagged off and this is the smallest scale fun run I have ever participated (totally surprised again). I managed to catch up with the main group and overtook the last few walkers/runners, but it didnt look like there were more than a few hundreds participants. I'm not sure if it was due to the haze or the hype of fun runs dying down, participation rate really unlike the Star Wars Run I took part in last year. I remember the organisers were still promoting the race when it was very near the event, so probably signup was low. 

I was glad that the race was not canceled due to the haze but it was quite unpleasant running in the unhealthy haze range that evening. 

Many people are fans of Star Wars, so they won't mind paying for the run even though it is a 'as usual' route. The event itself took 2 days - fri and sat, and there is really a fun atmosphere with the large number of cosplayers and after run movie screening. In a way, it was a more enjoyable event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...