lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

15 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Would be great if other runners here can also share what you take as alternative to gels. ūü§Ē

I took some liquid electrolyte product, that looks like ice popsicle packs. It tasted less revolting than gels.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Would be great if other runners here can also share what you take as alternative to gels. ūü§Ē

Tailwind and can purchase in bulk; Zero tablets - very light to carry

Posted (edited)
On ‚Äé8‚Äé/‚Äé23‚Äé/‚Äé2019 at 8:54 AM, starfinder said:

How do we prevent hitting the wall apart from training and conditioning? Would consuming energy gel every 10 km helps?

1. Train your Aerobic ability as well as your paced runs (Tempo runs, intervals etc.)

2. LSDs are the most important in FM training. Do not ever skip LSD (Do it 30-60sec slower than your FM goal pace).

In FMs, endurance matters more.

3. Bring Salt tablets and Gels during a race.

4. Want to hit goal timing, consistency and discipline matters most.

You may also join a running club and ask the coach to help you plan a training plan for a FM.

5. You may enter one or two shorter races along the way to gauge yourself and dress rehearsal (10k,HM)

During race itself:

-Do not ever start off too fast.

Edited by yh90

17 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Tailwind and can purchase in bulk; Zero tablets - very light to carry

May try these. Thanks. Initially wanted to take raisins, camel power revive/bounce nuts pack but all seem too much to carry.

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, I'm extremely happy to see that so many of you guys shared your valuable experience, hints and suggestions. Thank you so, so, sooooooo much. These days I carefully went through all the replies here, and really learnt a lot; more importantly, I'm highly motivated by your encouragement. Just to update you that I have already made decision, accepted SCSM's offer and upgraded to full marathon; the process was done on last Friday, which was exact 100-days to the race day: 30th November. 

Without trying, I dunno whether or not I can make it. So no choice, I have to go ahead and take the challenge. I understand that the training takes a lot of effort, and it is time-consuming. I need to seriously make preparation for it in awe.

As a rookie, I believe that I will definitely come back to you guys with more questions. Many thanks again to everyone, appreciate your help.¬†ūüĎćūüĎć

Edited by ZZIZZ

6 hours ago, yh90 said:

1. Train your Aerobic ability as well as your paced runs (Tempo runs, intervals etc.)

2. LSDs are the most important in FM training. Do not ever skip LSD (Do it 30-60sec slower than your FM goal pace).

You may also join a running club and ask the coach to help you plan a training plan for a FM.

5. You may enter one or two shorter races along the way to gauge yourself and dress rehearsal (10k,HM)

During race itself:

Thanks for the good tips!

8 minutes ago, starfinder said:
7 hours ago, yh90 said:

During race itself:

Thanks for the good tips!

Thanks lots... I took down these tips in my bible.¬†ūüĎŹ

On 8/27/2019 at 8:58 PM, Lady Ice said:

Does anyone know why gel manufacturers tell you to take a gel every 15 mins - 30 mins? 

Because you will then buy more mah... haha.

Anyway, the frequency of consumption should depend on individual, the level of exertion and several other factors. Should not be a magic range of numbers.

On the subject of "Hitting the wall" or "Bonking", I believe many of us mistaken extreme fatigues or cramps as hitting the wall. Bonking's widely accepted definition is "the near-complete depletion of glycogen stored in the muscles and liver". Our brains simply cue us to shutdown and not exert anymore. It's usually quite sudden and one will definitely know it (eventually) when it happens. 

Before i forget, increase mileage slowly. Not from 10k become 30k. Will risk getting injured.

1 hour ago, yh90 said:

Before i forget, increase mileage slowly. Not from 10k become 30k. Will risk getting injured.

Noted with thanks.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Just to update you that I have already made decision, accepted SCSM's offer and upgraded to full marathon; the process was done on last Friday, which was exact 100-days to the race day: 30th November. 

Without trying, I dunno whether or not I can make it. So no choice, I have to go ahead and take the challenge. I understand that the training takes a lot of effort, and it is time-consuming. I need to seriously make preparation for it in awe.

As a rookie, I believe that I will definitely come back to you guys with more questions. 

GG..... ..... ..... 

Just joking..¬†ūüėā. Your words are filled with a sense of¬†enthusiasm that is infectious. All the best for your FM preparations!!

Edited by warp9wb

14 hours ago, starfinder said:

Is this your first FM too?

Yes, this will be my very first FM race. After trying so many times on HM, I just realize that the completion of a FM probably is more practical for me than chasing sub-2 on HM...¬†ūüė∂

Good luck to us~~~

1 hour ago, warp9wb said:

All the best for your FM preparations!!

Thank you very much. Same to you and everyone.¬†ūüĎŹūüĎŹ

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

Thank you very much. Same to you and everyone.¬†ūüĎŹūüĎŹ

Yes. Even if we DNF, at least we try. If no try, may regret later in life.

7 hours ago, okw said:

Because you will then buy more mah... haha.

Anyway, the frequency of consumption should depend on individual, the level of exertion and several other factors. Should not be a magic range of numbers.

On the subject of "Hitting the wall" or "Bonking", I believe many of us mistaken extreme fatigues or cramps as hitting the wall. Bonking's widely accepted definition is "the near-complete depletion of glycogen stored in the muscles and liver". Our brains simply cue us to shutdown and not exert anymore. It's usually quite sudden and one will definitely know it (eventually) when it happens. 

Hadn't known the definition. Thanks. Have found the sugar is great for those who will actually run fast. Otherwise eating too many gels overloads the liver for slow runners who are, though might feel tired, are not exerting enough to burn the sugar efficiently and seem to get a type of diabetic neuropathy.

Find there tends to be confusion between salt (electrolyte) & sugar requirements. For the humidity I use electrolytes in my drink all the way, drinking it every 7-10 minutes (I bring my own bottle). Use a gel for the last 3K to run to the finish ;) 

20 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Just to update you that I have already made decision, accepted SCSM's offer and upgraded to full marathon; the process was done on last Friday, which was exact 100-days to the race day: 30th November. 

All the best! Enjoy!

22 hours ago, starfinder said:

Yes. Even if we DNF, at least we try. If no try, may regret later in life.

Depends on what it is. For me, I never regretted not doing 100 miles for Craze Ultra haha.

• Haha 1

HAHAHA HERE I GIVE YOU LOBANG SGRUNNER FRIENDS

Marathon (42.195km)

Use promo code SCSMXJRL90 to enjoy 30% off (U.P. S$130)

Other Categories

Use promo code SCSMXJRL10OFF to enjoy up to 20% off

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

"Sneak a peek at your medal design"

SCSM19-Medals - Copy.jpg

I prefer those rectangle style medals but this one looks quite nice. 

It's Official. There will be no train service extension on race day (FM/HM) or early train service for the 5K/10K race.

ShareTransport will be providing shuttle bus services at various time to bring the FM/HM runners home and also the 5K/10K runners to race site.

660903722_2019-12-01SCSMTransport.jpg.81a6f1890f8c979f4cc757eacc0997e9.jpg

More info >> HERE

Edited by lonewolf

On 8/31/2019 at 2:47 PM, ZZIZZ said:

"Sneak a peek at your medal design"

SCSM19-Medals - Copy.jpg

Very nice. 

Like it BIG & CIRCULAR.