lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

46 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

This is true for me. Due to work, not been training that much past year. But I could still complete sundown marathon (although slower) with 20+ Km mileage per week. So the body remembers. I have also fine tuned my race and hydration strategies over the years that worked for me. 

Same here. My weekly mileage decreases with more priorities to commit, now mainly relying on past experiences and conditioning to finish runs.

Not a good thing and definitely not a good example to follow. The body conditioning is very important, especially for the constant pumping of blood to the heart. As far as possible maintain constant training and don't allow yourself to fall into the risk of heart attacks - I have to pray very hard before every run that I do I finish in 1 piece.

Oops did I just discourage more people to take up FMs............

5 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

This is true for me. Due to work, not been training that much past year. But I could still complete sundown marathon (although slower) with 20+ Km mileage per week. So the body remembers. I have also fine tuned my race and hydration strategies over the years that worked for me. 

It is probably true the body 'remembers'. I have read ppl who ran FM, stopped training a while but can still complete FM. 

19 hours ago, beast said:

Same here. My weekly mileage decreases with more priorities to commit, now mainly relying on past experiences and conditioning to finish runs.

Not a good thing and definitely not a good example to follow. The body conditioning is very important, especially for the constant pumping of blood to the heart. As far as possible maintain constant training and don't allow yourself to fall into the risk of heart attacks - I have to pray very hard before every run that I do I finish in 1 piece.

Oops did I just discourage more people to take up FMs............

Running won’t give you heart attack la but reduce the risk of heart attack. Those runners that got cardiovascular attack , most of them already got pre heart problem which they themselves don’t know. 

This year I trying a new training method to build up my endurance level and prepare for my next FM next year.So far so good it make me enjoy running long distance again . I am running HM this year only. 

20 minutes ago, mover said:

Running won’t give you heart attack la but reduce the risk of heart attack. Those runners that got cardiovascular attack , most of them already got pre heart problem which they themselves don’t know. 

This year I trying a new training method to build up my endurance level and prepare for my next FM next year.So far so good it make me enjoy running long distance again . I am running HM this year only. 

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. But pushing oneself to run the FM will aggravate the pre heart problem leading to the cardiovascular attack right? Because of the intensity of the heart pumping....

Care to share the training method?

1 hour ago, beast said:

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. But pushing oneself to run the FM will aggravate the pre heart problem leading to the cardiovascular attack right? Because of the intensity of the heart pumping....

Care to share the training method?

If you got pre heart problem, running may be too intensive .

Google for MAF training. 

On ‎16‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:09 AM, Lady Ice said:

Last year the company made a loss.

OhMy God, 

runners need to pay higher $ because the company made a loss or the company profit not enough?

On 8/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, ZZIZZ said:

image.png.bdfe72c77af159925ae6398712dbe425.png

Received this email from SCSM organizer, this upgrade doesn't feel the same as when you check-in at airport you are told to upgrade to Business Class from Economy Class... I ran nearly 30 times HM since 2016 but did never think of running a FM, did never prepare for it either. Especially when I witnessed that how one of my friends, who always runs faster/further than me, was struggling to complete FM in SCSM 2017, how painful the FM he experienced... Frankly so far I have no courage to try...

There is much more to train for a Full Marathon.

Half Marathon runners probably never experience this, but most Full Marathon runners may encounter a phenomenon call hitting the wall, cause by depletion of the body's stored glycogen.

On 8/21/2019 at 2:43 AM, beast said:

FM average should be much higher than $60.... I don't remember they were that cheap even for loyalty rates. 

The money collected from registration fees for all participants should be around $1.5 to 2 million. Plus there's also money/ sponsorship in kind from sponsors as well.

The 2 day format has been around for quite some time so I doubt that Ironman will continue using that format if it is making loss that way. They can simply just switch back to a 1 day format. Not only that but they had extended it to 3 days this year even (still not sure why they want to hold the Kids Dash on a separate day this year).  I know costs are high, but I am still very unconvinced that the event has been loss making till I see financial documents like what RAC disclosed.

Think 2018 was the first time the 2 day format was used? Sometimes companies make a loss with products to gain the market. But as you say until we see the financial documents, this is all speculation :)

11 hours ago, puppyrun said:

There is much more to train for a Full Marathon.

Half Marathon runners probably never experience this, but most Full Marathon runners may encounter a phenomenon call hitting the wall, cause by depletion of the body's stored glycogen.

How do we prevent hitting the wall apart from training and conditioning? Would consuming energy gel every 10 km helps?

21 hours ago, mover said:

If you got pre heart problem, running may be too intensive .

Google for MAF training. 

@mover Great to see another member using MAF Method.  Just to sidetrack, here is some information on the MAF Method for people who are interested:

a) https://philmaffetone.com/method/ (overview of the MAF Method with an infographic)

b) https://philmaffetone.com/white-paper-maf-exercise-heart-rate-can-help-improve-health-sports-performance/ (Just read the section:"180 formula for MAF HR" if the position paper sounds too technical.)

c) https://philmaffetone.com/the-180-review/ (Revision to the 180 formula for people being overfat and suffering from chronic overtraining) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starfinder said:

How do we prevent hitting the wall apart from training and conditioning? Would consuming energy gel every 10 km helps?

Energy gels do help if consumed appropriately. Few other things need to be in place during the race too. Hydration, pace strategy etc.

8 hours ago, starfinder said:

5 hours ago, okw said:

Energy gels do help if consumed appropriately. Few other things need to be in place during the race too. Hydration, pace strategy etc.

That's right. Besides the need to up the mileage for Full Marathon training, there is also to train, or practice on refuel strategy, like when to start, how often to take and what to take, because not all runners can take gel. Also, can train the body to delay the onset of glycogen depletion. All these info can be found on the web.

10 hours ago, okw said:

Hate those chemical gels.

Have successfully used oral electrolytes which is waaay cheaper than the gels. Have used Repalyte - got from Watson - at the time was 5 satchets for less than $2. Also have made my own when I can be bothered with honey and salt.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, puppyrun said:

That's right. Besides the need to up the mileage for Full Marathon training, there is also to train, or practice on refuel strategy, like when to start, how often to take and what to take, because not all runners can take gel.

Agree! When I was training for my one and only FM, I tested my refuel strategy, and realised I cannot take more than 1 or 2 packs of gel continuously/ in 1 run! Never realised it before, coz I can survive HM with just 1 pack of gel. Had to find some other solution at the last minute :sorry:

Edited by sicklycat

On 8/24/2019 at 1:03 AM, sicklycat said:

Agree! When I was training for my one and only FM, I tested my refuel strategy, and realised I cannot take more than 1 or 2 packs of gel continuously/ in 1 run! Never realised it before, coz I can survive HM with just 1 pack of gel. Had to find some other solution at the last minute :sorry:

What are the symptoms you had when you consume more?

11 hours ago, okw said:

What are the symptoms you had when you consume more?

It made me feel like puking. It wasn't possible to consume anymore.

I also cannot take too much gel . My stomach will be bloated . I become very uncomfortable. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:28 PM, Lady Ice said:

Hate those chemical gels.

Have successfully used oral electrolytes which is waaay cheaper than the gels. Have used Repalyte - got from Watson - at the time was 5 satchets for less than $2. Also have made my own when I can be bothered with honey and salt.

Would be great if other runners here can also share what you take as alternative to gels. 🤔

On 8/23/2019 at 8:54 AM, starfinder said:

Actually consuming energy gels does not prevent one from hitting the wall .. there are other factors which other runners have shared here. The legs, mind and stomach ( gels purpose) need to be aligned in order to run a FM without any issues.  

6 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Would be great if other runners here can also share what you take as alternative to gels. 🤔

I tried before those jelly beans but realised I need to take quite a lot as each bean is pretty small and definitely much less energy and sodium as compared to energy gel...

Posted (edited)

I am OK with gels, and so far fortunately I haven't consume up to a point where my body is upset with the consumption of it. I just didn't like the taste of them. 

I once tried consuming up 5 gels for a FM and I was OK, though it didn't net me a PB.  

I remember when I did the Tokyo Marathon, there were a lot of various food offered by the crowd. My body was OK with the consumption of these food and I managed to get by without needing to consume any gels.

I also tried electrolyte patch and it also made me less tired and wanting to consume less gels, though I am not sure if it is psychological. 

Edited by beast

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Actually consuming energy gels does not prevent one from hitting the wall .. there are other factors which other runners have shared here. The legs, mind and stomach ( gels purpose) need to be aligned in order to run a FM without any issues.  

Agree. Hitting the wall is more psychological for me, and I have learnt to try and tune my mind out of it plus  my body is also somewhat conditioned to it. For me I think conditioning through training is the only way to help deal with it.

Edited by beast

I also don't like taking gels. My limit is four; I try to take anything more than that and I will want to throw up. But if you need the fuel and you can't stomach gels, try natural alternatives like honey, maple syrup and dates. All contain plenty of sugar, but the sugars are all natural and not chemically processed.

Does anyone know why gel manufacturers tell you to take a gel every 15 mins - 30 mins? Think it is because it causes the sugar high and the theory is to delay the mental crash..... however with folk who are slow - have seen them bonking on taking the gels at the "prescribed" time.  Just completed a marathon in 30 degs C. A number of people were throwing up, dehydrated and had lack of salt. Some had gels that were in their words "no longer working". Gave one my only salt packet, forced him to sip the drink. After a mile he recovered and was able to run the rest of the 9 miles left. It had settled his stomach and his light head. 

Certainly think the electrolytes are cleaner than gels as salt replacement in SG is more important than on boarding loads of toxic sugar into the system especially in the heat. Sugar is good for the blast at the end ;)