lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

On 8/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, starfinder said:

It will always be more or less the same as long as run in city. Boring for us local runners. But refreshing for foreign runners who may come just once a year for the event.

Actually in my own opinion, should "satisfy" local runners more, bec thats the bulk of your income, how many foreigners make up the race? 50%? No...at most maybe 20% or less. But maybe they dun think this way, they wanta show case Singapore to the foreigner runners.

But of coz, it gets boring to local runners, soon we wun join bec the same route and costing keeps going up. But they're smart also, u dun join, U go join overseas loh, join overseas, u have money or not for air-ticket, hotel? No rite? Then dun complaint, join my race. Then of Coz...another pool of newbies will come in and take over, this cycle will keep repeating, unhappy people goes off, new people comes in, then gets boring, then another pool comes in.

Actually can make the route more creative like loop into Sentosa maybe? Then loop out. 

Anyway, dun worry lah, they will keep re-using last year route then when it get boring, they will start back at Orchard road, (then re-use back 2017 route) haha...maybe i call it a vicious cycle..haha

21 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Even though limited to 200 pax.. still damn pissed off... short change those loyal and super early bird runners

Agree.... 54 is.... so low...

On 8/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

SCSM has been doing these ever since they combine starting line for HM and FM. So far no issues with it? 

Route wise okay lah, don’t have a lot of chance to run at West Coast Highway. 

Hopefully starting no massive jam. 

For many events, be it 10km or 21km or 42km, always at the beginning got people walk even across start line and continue walking. 

There was one year, the MC said, "People, this is the Standard Chartered Run, not the Standard Chartered walk"  😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"combine starting line for HM and FM" ideal location in the past:

- Esplanade bridge (Army HM Run )
- Merdeka bridge (nicoll highway) (Sundown HM and FM)

Those slow and steady, "Go Left!". However, in other parts of the world, the convention is "Go Right!". So give  the correct Running Rule "Walk/Slow,  Please Keep Left"

"how many foreigners make up the race?"  - It has been a promotional event for Tourists as Runners to participate in Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon Run as Sightseeing Adventure. Finishing may not be important considering in such a hot and humid temperature, even in the evenings, and considering the time of the night, expect more sure just drop off and leave the route. 

"another pool of newbies will come in and take over, this cycle will keep repeating, unhappy people goes off, new people comes in, then gets boring, then another pool comes in." Now you understand why uncle was once newbies, old birds, and now enjoy seeing the cycle repeating, and still here sharing and contributing?

Yes, for those who never run Sundown Marathon(Night Race), great to have the experience. For those who never run in First Marathon, why not start with a uniquely Night Race. Isn't that become a cycle of those of us here who once started Sundown (First Night Marathon).

Run Day or Night, Day and Night, Night and Day, why not just simply the fun of it, experience the best options. 

Lastly, best wishes, First SCSM 2019 (Marathon Night).

Edited by kohpapa

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

Good for those who have yet to register but bad for those loyal & super early FM or HM registrants.

Bad marketing strategy like Hua Wei phone in my opinion.

Usually I will give this expensive run a miss.

But then, it's so cheap and i cannot tahan and registered for FM. haaaa

Edited by simonleng

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

interested to run this year SCM.

Might be too early to ask now. Any1 wish to let go their FM bib at good price due to reasons... please PM me for fast deal.

No rush.. i'm ok till even till the last min as long as rpec arrangement is comfortable for all.

Many thank.

Edited by delldell314

4 hours ago, simonleng said:

Usually I will give this expensive run a miss.

But then, it's so cheap and i cannot tahan and registered for FM. haaaa

Hi Simon, i'm skipping this event this year but happy for you that you managed to secure this very good FM lobang. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:31 AM, kcslchin said:

Hopefully starting no massive jam. 

For many events, be it 10km or 21km or 42km, always at the beginning got people walk even across start line and continue walking. 

There was one year, the MC said, "People, this is the Standard Chartered Run, not the Standard Chartered walk"  😂

Hope this year the MC will say this again. Heard endless stories of ppl walking just after flag off.

14 minutes ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Wonder what pace(s) these runs are conducted in... am looking for people to push me for sub-5:00/km hahha 

I am guessing at least a few pacers from each pace time will turn up...

If you are genuinely aiming for sub 5/km you shouldn't join these runs.... fastest pace is also 5:20.....instead make friends with yh90 bro here. Maybe you and his friends can become best run buddies.

Posted (edited)
On 8/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, stalky79 said:

Wah piang the “new” route looks 99% like last year one... lol... how they justify the price increment ?

apparel also not under armour any more 

Last year the company made a loss: Road closures, water barriers, police, first aid, entertainment (they did have entertainment last year), the expertise they brought in last year really made a big difference for runners wave; last year there were many more splash zones than I can remember; excellent coverage of water points by volunteers; more volunteer training to engage them in cheering runners on; and so much more + normal inflation on cost of setting up expo / event village etc. Price is still pretty cheap compared to many other places

As for t-shirts. I have soooo many from events, would love to see a zero waste category where we only collect the bib and get a time. As for the medal would prefer a seed medal to plant a tree :)  What do people do with all the medals and t-shirts you receive from events?

Edited by Lady Ice
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

What do people do with all the medals and t-shirts you receive from events?

I do not join a lot of events (just 1 or 2 a year), and I use my t-shirts for everyday wear.

Medals are lying in the drawer.

5 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Last year the company made a loss: Road closures, water barriers, police, first aid, entertainment (they did have entertainment last year), the expertise they brought in last year really made a big difference for runners wave; last year there were many more splash zones than I can remember; excellent coverage of water points by volunteers; more volunteer training to engage them in cheering runners on; and so much more + normal inflation on cost of setting up expo / event village etc. Price is still pretty cheap compared to many other places.

Just curious how you know how they made a loss?

I would reckon that they would still profit and not yet to the extent of making a loss. If it is unprofitable Ironman wouldn't sign a 10 year deal to organize the event.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Last year the company made a loss: Road closures, water barriers, police, first aid, entertainment (they did have entertainment last year), the expertise they brought in last year really made a big difference for runners wave; last year there were many more splash zones than I can remember; excellent coverage of water points by volunteers; more volunteer training to engage them in cheering runners on; and so much more + normal inflation on cost of setting up expo / event village etc. Price is still pretty cheap compared to many other places

As for t-shirts. I have soooo many from events, would love to see a zero waste category where we only collect the bib and get a time. As for the medal would prefer a seed medal to plant a tree :)  What do people do with all the medals and t-shirts you receive from events?

loss? from organising SCSM? cannot be

come on, 40k participant with average of $60 registration fees that is almost $2.4m

road closures would have taken quite a bit off their profit 

Edited by stalky79

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

What do people do with all the medals and t-shirts you receive from events?

Frankly I don't need running tshirt and finisher tee, but I prefer the medal only. This also applies to the Imcome Eco Run...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, stalky79 said:

loss? from organising SCSM? cannot be

come on, 40k participant with average of $60 registration fees that is almost $2.4m

road closures would have taken quite a bit off their profit 

Think your calc is off 12.5K participant at ave $60 for FM. Then it goes down from there. Dun remember how much the 1/2 marathon + 10K + 5K were. 

@Beast I once came across figures for road closures, water barriers and police presence for a short part of road - it's high. Additionally @stalky79remember this has changed from a one day format to a 2 day format which means longer road closures.  Rent of venue for longer, hire of equipment and resources. The event organisers can only raise the price slowly over years. Of course presume the end game will be to make a profit otherwise this is just bad business. Presume once they convert to WMM and give the event more prestige will see prices be double at some point...... but they still have a lot of work to do in many areas and IM are working hard to improve all fronts.  I can only see them having to outlay more in order to get to WMM

I'd love to see a local hand food buffet at the end & have a downloadable certificate if I want a souvenir.  Last year a runner gave me lots of t-shirts she had accumulated otherwise she was gonna bin them! Have managed to give them all away! 

Edited by Lady Ice

image.png.bdfe72c77af159925ae6398712dbe425.png

Received this email from SCSM organizer, this upgrade doesn't feel the same as when you check-in at airport you are told to upgrade to Business Class from Economy Class... I ran nearly 30 times HM since 2016 but did never think of running a FM, did never prepare for it either. Especially when I witnessed that how one of my friends, who always runs faster/further than me, was struggling to complete FM in SCSM 2017, how painful the FM he experienced... Frankly so far I have no courage to try...

32 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

image.png.bdfe72c77af159925ae6398712dbe425.png

Received this email from SCSM organizer, this upgrade doesn't feel the same as when you check-in at airport you are told to upgrade to Business Class from Economy Class... I ran nearly 30 times HM since 2016 but did never think of running a FM, did never prepare for it either. Especially when I witnessed that how one of my friends, who always runs faster/further than me, was struggling to complete FM in SCSM 2017, how painful the FM he experienced... Frankly so far I have no courage to try...

You need to prepared for FM. I finished 24th FM but still find it suffering. Like HM more but treat FM as a challenge. 

5 minutes ago, mover said:

You need to prepared for FM. I finished 24th FM but still find it suffering. Like HM more but treat FM as a challenge. 

Totally agree... I frequently do 10ks or HMs and clock about 40km/week. I think of myself as a decent HM runner, but to 'upgrade' to the FM is a whole new level of pain... you really really need condition yourself by clocking the kms (at least 80km/week methinks), otherwise you'll really start feeling the cramps after 25km.  I attempted the FM 3 times about 8-10 years ago and don't ever want to do another one again - not in SG at least! 

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, Lady Ice said:

Think your calc is off 12.5K participant at ave $60 for FM. Then it goes down from there. Dun remember how much the 1/2 marathon + 10K + 5K were. 

@Beast I once came across figures for road closures, water barriers and police presence for a short part of road - it's high. Additionally @stalky79remember this has changed from a one day format to a 2 day format which means longer road closures.  Rent of venue for longer, hire of equipment and resources. The event organisers can only raise the price slowly over years. Of course presume the end game will be to make a profit otherwise this is just bad business. Presume once they convert to WMM and give the event more prestige will see prices be double at some point...... but they still have a lot of work to do in many areas and IM are working hard to improve all fronts.  I can only see them having to outlay more in order to get to WMM

I'd love to see a local hand food buffet at the end & have a downloadable certificate if I want a souvenir.  Last year a runner gave me lots of t-shirts she had accumulated otherwise she was gonna bin them! Have managed to give them all away! 

FM average should be much higher than $60.... I don't remember they were that cheap even for loyalty rates. 

The money collected from registration fees for all participants should be around $1.5 to 2 million. Plus there's also money/ sponsorship in kind from sponsors as well.

The 2 day format has been around for quite some time so I doubt that Ironman will continue using that format if it is making loss that way. They can simply just switch back to a 1 day format. Not only that but they had extended it to 3 days this year even (still not sure why they want to hold the Kids Dash on a separate day this year).  I know costs are high, but I am still very unconvinced that the event has been loss making till I see financial documents like what RAC disclosed.

Edited by beast

11 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Totally agree... I frequently do 10ks or HMs and clock about 40km/week. I think of myself as a decent HM runner, but to 'upgrade' to the FM is a whole new level of pain... you really really need condition yourself by clocking the kms (at least 80km/week methinks), otherwise you'll really start feeling the cramps after 25km.  I attempted the FM 3 times about 8-10 years ago and don't ever want to do another one again - not in SG at least! 

From HM to FM really requires a leap to mindset, that push of motivation of wanting to do it.  Everybody does FM for different motivations and reasons, so it is really up to individual to find that push to do it.

After that its more of conditioning. Once you think FM is doable and stat to do more and more FM, your body adjusts to it through training and you will also adapt strategies to know how to finish it.

Anyway bro ov3rw3ight I encourage you to try FM again in other cooler countries to have a much better race experience of FM - totally more enjoyable and satisfying.

2 hours ago, beast said:

From HM to FM really requires a leap to mindset, that push of motivation of wanting to do it.  Everybody does FM for different motivations and reasons, so it is really up to individual to find that push to do it.

After that its more of conditioning. Once you think FM is doable and stat to do more and more FM, your body adjusts to it through training and you will also adapt strategies to know how to finish it.

Anyway bro ov3rw3ight I encourage you to try FM again in other cooler countries to have a much better race experience of FM - totally more enjoyable and satisfying.

This is true for me. Due to work, not been training that much past year. But I could still complete sundown marathon (although slower) with 20+ Km mileage per week. So the body remembers. I have also fine tuned my race and hydration strategies over the years that worked for me.