lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

1 hour ago, okw said:

The change from a dawn-morning race to a dust-night one will affect significantly some runners' strategy. Mine as well.

For previous SCSMs, many had the "clock-more-miles-before-it-gets really-hot", and then leave it to fate when the sun reveals itself. Negative/neutral splits were rare, especially for non-elites.

For this year's edition, I would be very conservative for the first 10-12km depending on the heat/humidity, knowing for sure it will only get cooler for the remaining route. Ideally attempting a negative split.

Interesting... So how will you train for SCMS this year (will it include acclimatization from evening to night weather) and will it be different from the way you train in the previous years?

Night weather will get more cooling but at the same time it will be more humid, especially with more active people and activities around I reckon this might be something to think about on managing. 

22 hours ago, beast said:

Interesting... So how will you train for SCMS this year (will it include acclimatization from evening to night weather) and will it be different from the way you train in the previous years?

Night weather will get more cooling but at the same time it will be more humid, especially with more active people and activities around I reckon this might be something to think about on managing. 

I don't really plan on doing much specific acclimatization, 6pm and 5am long runs are huge part of what I do all year round. You are right though, the crowd will increase the temperature and humidity. Though the later part of the route where runners are more dispersed, it shouldn't add on too much. This year though, I am doing a lot more slower long runs as part of the aerobic base building. Strength and higher intensity/speed workout will start next month.

• Like 1

The first hour or so will be running towards the setting sun. The Sheares slope remains a killer feature. Hahahaha

Wah piang the “new” route looks 99% like last year one... lol... how they justify the price increment ?

apparel also not under armour any more 

Posted (edited)

Wah. IM really trying all sort of pattern this yr. 

Just received a mail from them asking me to 'Challenge yourself and upgrade to a Marathon!' (I signed up for the HM)

From now till 30 Sep, save up to S$25* when you upgrade to Marathon (42.195km) category. Simply top up the price difference from your current category to S$100 (Marathon Early Bird rate). 

*Category upgrade fee includes top up to S$100 (Early Bird rate) + S$5 admin charge. Category upgrade fee will be subject to 8% Active fee. 

Ehh.. Thanks but no thanks! :crazysmile:

They are also doing a pre-race survey to collect insights from athletes and how we can provide you a better experience. >> http://bit.ly/2SYuILb

Edited by lonewolf
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Wah piang the “new” route looks 99% like last year one... lol... how they justify the price increment ?

apparel also not under armour any more 

Actually, they never used the word 'new' but 'improved routes are built on runners’ feedback from 2018 to deliver a fine balance of comfort set against our iconic skyline' -_-

It will always be more or less the same as long as run in city. Boring for us local runners. But refreshing for foreign runners who may come just once a year for the event.

why flag the HM and FM at same time in waves as same point. This I don't understand. I know some run events do this (even overseas SC Marathons) but in Singapore, this has not really worked out in the past

2 hours ago, kcslchin said:

why flag the HM and FM at same time in waves as same point.

As a slow runner running in HM category, I have opportunity to cross the finish line together with the top runners of FM... 😆

5 hours ago, kcslchin said:

why flag the HM and FM at same time in waves as same point. This I don't understand. I know some run events do this (even overseas SC Marathons) but in Singapore, this has not really worked out in the past

SCSM has been doing these ever since they combine starting line for HM and FM. So far no issues with it? 

Route wise okay lah, don’t have a lot of chance to run at West Coast Highway. 

5 hours ago, kcslchin said:

SCSM has been doing these ever since they combine starting line for HM and FM. So far no issues with it? 

Route wise okay lah, don’t have a lot of chance to run at West Coast Highway. 

I predict that the West Coast Highway stretch will be the 'new' Highway to Hell.

Imagine the residue heat emitting from the asphalt from the whole day of baking in the sun. :hot:

I dun think it would cool down by flag off time. Hopefully, I am wrong. 

On 8/3/2019 at 3:20 PM, lonewolf said:

I predict that the West Coast Highway stretch will be the 'new' Highway to Hell.

Imagine the residue heat emitting from the asphalt from the whole day of baking in the sun. :hot:

Well, other than the ECP stretch, more than 80% of the the run will be conducted on asphalt road so it will not just be the West Coast Highway. It should cool down after the sunset, so it is just 1 hour in the hot sun compared to 3-5 we had experienced for the morning marathon.

I am also a bit disappointed with sticking to the same route last year. Nothing wrong with it, just that I would expect the run to change up a bit by going more into the crowds since its an evening run. Oh well at least there won't be surprises to deal with as we should already know what we are in for.

53 minutes ago, beast said:

Well, other than the ECP stretch, more than 80% of the the run will be conducted on asphalt road so it will not just be the West Coast Highway. It should cool down after the sunset, so it is just 1 hour in the hot sun compared to 3-5 we had experienced for the morning marathon.

True but most of the other asphalt road will be fully or partially shaded by the tall buildings. So it won't be exposed fully to the sun. 

The West Coast Highway has no such shading so it should be worse. 

Since we never have a chance to run on the West Coast Highway before, I guess we will find out on 30 Nov. :crazysmile:

On 8/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, wonderfulblevic said:

Honestly the west coast highway is super boring. 

I was still hoping to run below the highway but doesn't seem so...

6 hours ago, beast said:

Totally agreed, although totally don't wish so. Hopefully we won't become human BBQ, unless there is a raining...

10 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I was still hoping to run below the highway but doesn't seem so...

I still remember last year, the segment before going up the highway was stuffy and humid. Air is better up there. I reckon as it is more open, it'll cool down faster as well. The faster runners will help us absorb the heat :P

On 8/6/2019 at 7:55 AM, okw said:

I still remember last year, the segment before going up the highway was stuffy and humid. Air is better up there. I reckon as it is more open, it'll cool down faster as well. The faster runners will help us absorb the heat :P

Haaa.... it was stuffy  cause the width of the route was narrower than when it's up the highway... I think just dun be too fast this time round to avoid the sun... haaaa

Posted (edited)

HAPPY 54TH BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE! 🇸🇬

Celebrate National Day with us and treat yourself to our S$54 Marathon (42.195km) promo! (U.P. S$120).

Limited to 200 entries only. Register NOW at http://bit.ly/SGMarathonRegNow to enjoy this one-time deal, while stocks last!

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by theta99

U.P. S$120 please boycott such expensive nonsenses.

Follow my BOOKIE CHEAPO RUN SERIES - IN SINGAPORE YOU CAN RUN WITH MEDAL + T-SHIRT STARTING FROM $10.00 ONLY

Medal probably not elm but ok one

Good for those who have yet to register but bad for those loyal & super early FM or HM registrants.

Bad marketing strategy like Hua Wei phone in my opinion.

Even though limited to 200 pax.. still damn pissed off... short change those loyal and super early bird runners