lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

19 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I would say it's the 1st good year out of many years in the past.... if u see my review for the past SCSM years when i started blogging in 2014, I think the experience were consistently bad... haaa

Well, I only started running the Full Marathon in 2017 and got stuck at the baggage drop debacle, it is quite hard to get even lower than that. From 2013 to 2016 I ran the 10K and HM, it was ok. Nothing exceptionally bad or good. 

3 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

Well, I only started running the Full Marathon in 2017 and got stuck at the baggage drop debacle, it is quite hard to get even lower than that. From 2013 to 2016 I ran the 10K and HM, it was ok. Nothing exceptionally bad or good. 

I see... so see you in the Full Marathon category in 2019 and hope the experience gets better and better....

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, puppyrun said:

True, I actually did followed your reviews year after year and that was why I didn't bother to join for the past few years.

After last year's good review from so many people, I had decided I will register for this year's SCSM. :thumbsu:

thanks for the support @puppyrun.... and yah i was truly disappointed year after year till I even have thoughts about breaking my streak till I learnt that Ironman has took over as the organiser and decided to give it a try... 

This year 2019, the main change is from an early morning run to an evening run... this change is drastic and let's hope Ironman can still improve the race experience further for runners....

Edited by AutumnRunner

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

thanks for the support @puppyrun.... and yah i was truly disappointed year after year till I even have thoughts about breaking my streak till I learnt that Ironman has took over as the organiser and decided to give it a try... 

This year 2019, the main change is from an early morning run to an evening run... this change is drastic and let's hope Ironman can still improve the race experience further for runners....

I don't think it is "drastic" and ever since Ironman had taken over this is always one of their long term direction they are aiming to go to.

You said before that "ample time must be given for runners if they ever were to make such a switch, so that runners can have time to adjust."  Well, they have given 2 years liao. Enough time given to runners to adjust so why still "drastic"? 

11 minutes ago, beast said:

I don't think it is "drastic" and ever since Ironman had taken over this is always one of their long term direction they are aiming to go to.

You said before that "ample time must be given for runners if they ever were to make such a switch, so that runners can have time to adjust."  Well, they have given 2 years liao. Enough time given to runners to adjust so why still "drastic"? 

drastic simply cause 2018 was morning race and 2019 is going to be evening race... especially for @puppyrun who only ran FM in 2017... 

22 hours ago, puppyrun said:

Actually it's not a bad idea.

If the last sweeper is an old 60+, 70+ years old runner, yes, it'll be super stress. You can expect to hear him shouting like an army  RSM :- "Hello runners, run faster! Your grandfather can run faster than you!"

On the hand, if the last sweeper can have pretty lady or handsome guy runners, you can imagine the motivation slow runners can receive.

Either one should help to bring the number of DQ, with more runners being pushed to clear the cut off time.

I thought this is better than guessing the time, then being told at checkpoint cannot run further. If got pretty pacer in front, as long you keep up you will be safe. More dramatic i guess.

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I see... so see you in the Full Marathon category in 2019 and hope the experience gets better and better....

sadly no, I've ran SCSM Full Marathon twice and I think I've had it enough running FM in tropic weather for now, this year I will participate the HM.

1 hour ago, Gusluk said:

I thought this is better than guessing the time, then being told at checkpoint cannot run further. If got pretty pacer in front, as long you keep up you will be safe. More dramatic i guess.

Best way to do it, is to put some clock 1-2 km before the checkpoint(CP) displaying the cut off time of that CP and how many time left you have to clear that section. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

drastic simply cause 2018 was morning race and 2019 is going to be evening race... especially for @puppyrun who only ran FM in 2017... 

I still think drastic is too dramatic a word to use haha. I believe most runners would be able to cope with the change. More runners would be trained running in the evening/night instead of the wee hours of the morning. So this should be up many's alleys than not being able to cope with the change at all... 

On 6/6/2019 at 10:19 AM, beast said:

6 hours or less - You get finisher certificate 

7 hours and 15 mins or less - No finisher cert but I am guessing you still get the other finisher items?  

HKSCM race guide, page 34 ( if you enter page nbr at the top ; page 32/33 within .pdf file ) - Key Times & Locations - looks cool !!!

It lists the various cut off points and timings !!

https://www.hkmarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Marathon-book_online.pdf

On 6/17/2019 at 4:31 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

sadly no, I've ran SCSM Full Marathon twice and I think I've had it enough running FM in tropic weather for now, this year I will participate the HM.

Understand how u feel... that's why I ran the HM twice before as well for the same reason..

On 6/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, beast said:

I still think drastic is too dramatic a word to use haha. I believe most runners would be able to cope with the change. More runners would be trained running in the evening/night instead of the wee hours of the morning. So this should be up many's alleys than not being able to cope with the change at all... 

Hahaha... ok lo.... for me I have never done LSD in the evening or night thus it will be quite a big change for me...

On 5/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

Adidas will be nice, though the sizing chart looks like compresports...

It is compressports  

Not much issue with me, normal Adidas or Under Armour shirt they gave for the vent too are not the same like what they have in their own store. 

On 6/25/2019 at 12:55 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

It is compressports  

Not much issue with me, normal Adidas or Under Armour shirt they gave for the vent too are not the same like what they have in their own store. 

Well I am a little disappointed though and hope that the compressports top is better in comfort than the past finisher tees they supplied for other races...

I think the organizers want to max out their profits which is why I think the quality will always not be comparable with what they sell at the retail level, regardless of which brand we are looking at.

9 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Well I am a little disappointed though and hope that the compressports top is better in comfort than the past finisher tees they supplied for other races...

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 1:58 AM, beast said:

dont-give-me-hope-meme-3-768x409.jpg

?... quality is important to me ... i need to hope to feel motivated...

Edited by AutumnRunner

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, puppyrun said:

True, I actually did followed your reviews year after year and that was why I didn't bother to join for the past few years.

After last year's good review from so many people, I had decided I will register for this year's SCSM. :thumbsu:

wah, uncle is back, and after reading some of your comments and what is the motivation to take part in this scsm...

Interesting read in late 2017, "Will Singapore Marathon Become Singapore Night Marathon Next Year?"...the article was before Sundown 2018 and SCSM 2018...Next Year seems then was the speculation that SCSM 2018 may be a night event, abutthen, it was not...

http://runso.co/2Bv0DtC

no, uncle shall not take part in this scms 2019, based on the reasons given as

"The Disadvantages of SCSM Becoming a Night Marathon"

Agree with most of the issues by @AutumnRunner as an Ultra Runner

Never like Compressports, prefer UA, Quality.

IAAF Marathon Runs are all Day Events, and uniquely Singapore is Night. Singapore climate is hot and humid, and that is the challenge to all, and so to adapt seemlessly will be those who living in the SEA and tropical countries in Aftca and South America who share same "equatorial" environment, and to run in Evening, lasting till say 9-10pm, requires adjustment to Running time routines...which uncle shall share from experiences.

Once uncle in preparation for Sundown Ultra, need to get use to night run. Route and Time : 6pm Marina Barrage - 9pm-10pm Changi Village via say Tenah Merah Coast had been my LSD if I would to train for any night marathon...catch last bus #2 at changi village before 1115pm, or get transport to Pasir Ris mrt and catch last train at 1145pm....only after 2-3am, then my body is warm-down able to sleep.  Of course, if you drive, then better train laps at ECP, like Newton 32KM...nah not my preference anyway, which shall become daily evening runs for most running clubs anyway.

Nope, uncle skip this one, and even if how bad is Sundown 2019, if this is the only night race, let Sundown organiser shows improvement after uncle's feedback. Sincerely, Sundown 2020 must improve, because it shall be also another Night Marathon.

Now, you have both night Marathon races, what so uniquely if Sundown would become Day Marathon say SunUp, then uncle will signup because SunUp, is Day Event and is considered as Internationally Standard, uniquely not in Singapore. If SunUp can also apply for IAAF say start from Bronze Medal Road Race, then we expect to see how and who organiser will take the challenge and become one. 

Ironman Asia (NIght Marathon) vs SunUp (Day Marathon) says our local challenger Hivelocity (once was Ironman Singapore 70.3 Organiser and once Sundown).

Now, we will be motivated, because last year the Ironman Cow Medal from SCSM 2019 has shown spots believe to be rust...Quality. Another reason why uncle not considering SCSM, unless given free bib.

Edited by kohpapa

There's 2 things on this SCSM runners should take note.

1. 6pm flag off. Runners who only do training at night thinking that this is an evening run could be in for a rude shock. The sun at 6pm can be still very glaring. The first 10km of run from 6 to 7pm will be very unlike what runners will experience if they had only done night run. So my advise is to include some of your training run at similar hour like 6pm.

2. The transport back home if your run ends at midnight or later. Hopefully, either there's extended operating hours for train (unlikely imo) or SCSM can help to arrange for shared transport at staggered hours for runners.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:39 PM, puppyrun said:

1. 6pm flag off. Runners who only do training at night thinking that this is an evening run could be in for a rude shock. The sun at 6pm can be still very glaring. The first 10km of run from 6 to 7pm will be very unlike what runners will experience if they had only done night run. So my advise is to include some of your training run at similar hour like 6pm.

-Easy. LSD can do on weekend late afternoon, to adapt to the clock and timing.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:39 PM, puppyrun said:

2. The transport back home if your run ends at midnight or later. Hopefully, either there's extended operating hours for train (unlikely imo) or SCSM can help to arrange for shared transport at staggered hours for runners.

Since SCSM become a evening run, many event also follow. You can join CSC Bay Run and SG Run , both are happening at evening timing. SG Run got 32 km a good preparation for SCSM. Now that Newton Run is no more. So here come SG Run . 

24 minutes ago, mover said:

Since SCSM become a evening run, many event also follow. You can join CSC Bay Run and SG Run , both are happening at evening timing. SG Run got 32 km a good preparation for SCSM. Now that Newton Run is no more. So here come SG Run . 

I believe both runs were evening runs before SCSM announced officially that this year will be evening run. 

But your main point is good - we can use these runs to help acclimatize for SCSM. 

Good to acclimatize, but I am just curious....previously when SCMS flag off was 4.30am, how many actually do wake up and run from 5am onwards to train and acclimatize to the dusk till dawn conditions?

I am guessing many don't see a need to, and I am also unsure how many see a need to acclimatize to the 6pm weather this time round. That said, many should be doing it this time round, since it is easier and more motivating to do it than crawling out of the bed at the wee hours.

2 hours ago, beast said:

Good to acclimatize, but I am just curious....previously when SCMS flag off was 4.30am, how many actually do wake up and run from 5am onwards to train and acclimatize to the dusk till dawn conditions?

I am guessing many don't see a need to, and I am also unsure how many see a need to acclimatize to the 6pm weather this time round. That said, many should be doing it this time round, since it is easier and more motivating to do it than crawling out of the bed at the wee hours.

I agree with beast. Is acclimatization to 6pm really such a big deal? I normally do my runs in the evening, and have been waking up early for races with no issues. It might be a bit sunny at the start, but it sure beats that 8am sun when most people are already tired and exhausted.

The change from a dawn-morning race to a dust-night one will affect significantly some runners' strategy. Mine as well.

For previous SCSMs, many had the "clock-more-miles-before-it-gets really-hot", and then leave it to fate when the sun reveals itself. Negative/neutral splits were rare, especially for non-elites.

For this year's edition, I would be very conservative for the first 10-12km depending on the heat/humidity, knowing for sure it will only get cooler for the remaining route. Ideally attempting a negative split.