lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

any cut off time for fm? did not find e info at website. 

anyone doing medal engraving? (for timing). it is so troublesome to do it on site aft e run..

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Pearlina said:

anyone doing medal engraving? (for timing). it is so troublesome to do it on site aft e run..

I did the engraving before. Very fast... maybe 10-15mins and you get your medal engraved 

Edited by stalky79

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pearlina said:

Aiyo, dear @Pearlina, must read from on cut-off time...

https://singaporemarathon.com/faq/

and in case you ask where start then where end,  when do FM, and when start...uncle do you a favour and for all...remember uncle once said in 2018...Back2Back...can do Marathon then 10Km...make sure can recover on time...wait a minute...and then 5km also can do...sure or not...42km-10km-5km get Gold Label Qualifications in 2019....shiok

16anq7s.jpg

Edited by kohpapa

Keke. Thanks for e info on cut off time. Shld be 'easier' to meet cut off time due to e cooler weather at night. Did e 1st edition of sundown marathon back then and it was a disaster to me. Ran past ecp and e sight of e camping tent and the dimmed lights made me so sleepy and i was literally sleep-running.

@stalky79 how do u know ur 'official' race time? They are able to check for u or agar agar?

@kohpapa thanks for e summary ah - information overload this year cos walao.. kids run on fri, fm on sat, and my 11 yo kid who cannot qualify for kids run may have to 'upgrade' to 5km. So i have to be 'active' mode for 3 consecutive days. Anyone know if it is 'easy' to smuggle into a 5km run? Is there security to chk ur bib to enter into 5km run? I dun wanna e medal bt just wanna to accompany my boy (but dun wanna to pay for my reg fee)

1 hour ago, Pearlina said:

Keke. Thanks for e info on cut off time. Shld be 'easier' to meet cut off time due to e cooler weather at night. Did e 1st edition of sundown marathon back then and it was a disaster to me. Ran past ecp and e sight of e camping tent and the dimmed lights made me so sleepy and i was literally sleep-running.

@stalky79 how do u know ur 'official' race time? They are able to check for u or agar agar?

@kohpapa thanks for e summary ah - information overload this year cos walao.. kids run on fri, fm on sat, and my 11 yo kid who cannot qualify for kids run may have to 'upgrade' to 5km. So i have to be 'active' mode for 3 consecutive days. Anyone know if it is 'easy' to smuggle into a 5km run? Is there security to chk ur bib to enter into 5km run? I dun wanna e medal bt just wanna to accompany my boy (but dun wanna to pay for my reg fee)

Scsm got live tracking. So u know your timing once you cross the finish line 

On 5/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, beast said:

I think the crowd support criteria should be the least of all concerns. I believe as long as part of the route covers a crowded part of the city it should be OK. We will be able to know and experience it this year when we run it.

Live streaming is a joke lah - how many people actually tune in to it? This is not F1.

Ya. Running marathon n watching a marathon on tv is different.. it is pretty boring to watch a bunch of ppl running long on tv even i into running.. Don't even mention ppl who not into it... 

3 hours ago, Pearlina said:

Yes, it is tough, and many would know, uncle just completed Sundown FM just now, and yes, tried Back2Back...tough...need at least 12 hours to recover...sleep, and leg muscles and tissues to recover, forget if I use SCSM timetable it is almost unlikely to recover in 4-6hours...after FM Run on Sunday morning say after Midnight, on the same day 6:30 (10Km ) and 8:30am (5KM)...

Ok, sorry to be distracted because I focus on B2B for SCSM 2019. About yours, reason why SCSM wants to do a 3-day program, uncle already hinted, live-TV broadcasting for 42KM, 10KM and 5KM because of the need to fulfill the conditions for upgrading SCSM from Gold to Platinum Label.

Hence, your Kids event on Day 1 is 7pm, FM is 6pm, and right after that 8:30am for your 11-year-old kid because no Kids Dash. So, why not organise a Family Stay at vicinity near F1? Remember, Road Closures are already enforced in the morning before the Race, expected.

5 km race for an 11-year old kid, as an Athletics Coach (Youth), your kid must have a proper training, and mostly, 5 km participants, or 5,000 m runners, they belong to the elites of Long Distance runners as youth runners, like Cross Country and I expect only Secondary Kids or Tertiary Ones fit the description. Your 11-year old kid fits appropriately as 3000m Middle Distance type, unless, takes part in 5000m.

"Anyone know if it is 'easy' to smuggle into a 5km run? Is there security to chk ur bib to enter into 5km run?", As long as you pay for the 5km race, nobody cares if your kid is 11 year old. However, you cannot sneak in with no bib, because the entrance is narrow for Pen entry and 2 security personnels are to ensure.

Any more questions you want to ask, feel free? In order not to side track on SCSM topics here, uncle shall not further on how your 11-year-old can train for 5 km.

Actually what is the general cut-off time for FM in other countries races? Is there some kind of governing body which provides the guidelines?

Posted (edited)

Good question for all to know..

https://www.flotrack.org/articles/6261003-iaaf-releases-2019-world-championships-standards

Everyone has accepted only the SCSM has always  have the real Qualifying for World Marathon Races, because it has the IAAF Label Race (Gold). Ironman Asia, being distinctively also host IronMan event, also host Qualifying for World's Ironman Events.

To apply for any Qualifying Races, host country or cities must organise with compliances to what is deemed as proper Race - from appointment of Officials to Drug Doping test, so that while any runner tries to Qualify, there is no cheating. An example is our Local Female Winner (2018) was found to have taken illegal drug, which caused her to be stripped of Qualifying ranking as Winner. Also, Qualifying races also must also cater for those who are Able to Compete. So, if you notice in every IAAF-sanctioned running events and even Olympics (IAAF sets the Quidelines for what you mean by Qualifying Timing) and Paralympics The advantage is as part of application for any Label Race Categories like Bronze, Silver, Gold and even Platinum, only World-ranked Qualified Runners would for in these Label Races to stay Qualified in Ranking. Any other races not IAAF-sanctioned, Runners can compete for monetary sake, but the timing will not be considered as World Qualifying Timing. 

However, there are countries which like Singapore, while trying to promote Grassroot/Recreational Running such as Marathon for the messes, will set an entry-level of 8 hours in the past SCSM. As we progress in terms of improved timing for all,  we raise the barrier to 7.5 hours in 2018. Of course, if Singapore needs to be in the World-class Marathon, our local elites (and all of us) must meet the likes of Boston - 3 hours and better. Sub-2 is always a wish for all marathoners, especially in the continental representation, runners from Africa seems to be able to meet Sub-2 anytime soon. Wonder anyone here competes in Marathon Race in continental Africa?

Yes, there is no fix Qualifying Timing for countries, but, it is up to the Sports Body, like ActiveSG (once they were known as the Singapore Sport Council), they will work out with the Singapore Athletics (once they were known as Singapore Athletics Association aka affliate with IAAF International), and so SCSM's officials are aka ActiveSG with SA to provide the technical officials to ensure that SCSM race is indeed complied to IAAF World Qualifying races.

Yes, everyone has heard of the other Marathon Event in Singapore, Sundown. It sets a Qualifying round, simply to meet the Road Closures at certain km, especially nearing 30-35km, for reasons always closer to the Marina Barrage from the Garden-By-the Bay (East) and along the Construction Site near to the ECP (entrace/exit of the ECP loop). Something that uncle still pondered, why road closure for what? Everyone hears that in recent Sundown 2019 in last 48hours, cutoff time began at 6am - 630am for most of final waves at 35KM...considering there had been a delay start of almost 80-90 minutes at Start Point. What is cutoff time at 6am - 630am does not mean that is cut-off time of 8 hours as stated at Sundown website. What was complained was 6am - 630am cut off time of road closures was never mentioned by Organiser, Infinitius. 

Hope uncle has answered your question, specifically on Local Races only. Perhaps, someone can be specific about overseas races.

Thank you for attention.

Edited by kohpapa
  • Sad 1

Thank you Uncle! 

I did a quick check on the cut-off time for some of the popular overseas FM in our region:

1) Gold Coast Marathon 2019 - 6 hr 40 min

2) Osaka Marathon 2019 - 7 hr

3) Sydney Marathon 2019 - 6 hr

4) SCSM KL 2019 - 7 hr 15 min

5) Taipei Marathon 2018 - 5 hr 30 min

So the SCSM SG cut-off time is pretty 'lenient' compared to these counterparts.

Actually SCKLM 2019 cut off time is 6hrs . Japan marathon Kyoto is also 6hrs. Seoul is 5 hrs. Local marathons are really lenient. 

2E5C077C-0904-49DB-9AA8-56DFE3576CA5.jpeg

Below 7hr 15min, they will still let you run in the course. They are quite strict with the COT, the sweeper bus tailgating their last pacer. 

It would be nice to have that pacer for sweeper. Either keep up with the pacer or kena sweeped.

Same thing they practiced at Tokyo Marathon, so called sweeper bus will tailgate the last pacer. Quite harrowing experience to see those last pacers after the turning point of a course.

Last year I thought SCSM was quite good, at least there are still water when I finished around 6hr 30 mins and there wasn't any massive issue with the baggage drop or claim. 

On 6/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, delldell314 said:

Ya. Running marathon n watching a marathon on tv is different.. it is pretty boring to watch a bunch of ppl running long on tv even i into running.. Don't even mention ppl who not into it... 

and its only the top few runners.... unless we are supporting one of them or..... one of them is going t obreak the WR... that will be slightly different expectation...

On 6/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, Gusluk said:

It would be nice to have that pacer for sweeper. Either keep up with the pacer or kena sweeped.

it's super stress... can imagine...

On 6/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, Arvin Tunas said:

Last year I thought SCSM was quite good, at least there are still water when I finished around 6hr 30 mins and there wasn't any massive issue with the baggage drop or claim. 

I would say it's the 1st good year out of many years in the past.... if u see my review for the past SCSM years when i started blogging in 2014, I think the experience were consistently bad... haaa

1 hour ago, AutumnRunner said:

it's super stress... can imagine...

Actually it's not a bad idea.

If the last sweeper is an old 60+, 70+ years old runner, yes, it'll be super stress. You can expect to hear him shouting like an army  RSM :- "Hello runners, run faster! Your grandfather can run faster than you!"

On the hand, if the last sweeper can have pretty lady or handsome guy runners, you can imagine the motivation slow runners can receive.

Either one should help to bring the number of DQ, with more runners being pushed to clear the cut off time.

11 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

On the hand, if the last sweeper can have pretty lady or handsome guy runners, you can imagine the motivation slow runners can receive.

Either one should help to bring the number of DQ, with more runners being pushed to clear the cut off time.

u mean employ models on the sweeper bus? haha..... ?

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

I would say it's the 1st good year out of many years in the past.... if u see my review for the past SCSM years when i started blogging in 2014, I think the experience were consistently bad... haaa

True, I actually did followed your reviews year after year and that was why I didn't bother to join for the past few years.

After last year's good review from so many people, I had decided I will register for this year's SCSM. :thumbsu:

• Like 1