lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

Recalled in 2017 - how WMM and Ironman signed an agreement (10-year)...what Ironmen and Standard Chartered Bank had agreed on SCSM entry to WMM (till 2019)..we are closing to WMM...if...

(info - https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/singapore-can-be-a-great-global-stage-for-running-says-world-marathon-majors-gm)

straitstimes.com-Singapore-can-be-a-grea

straitstimes.com-Singapore-can-be-a-grea

"We had taken 1-year feasibility study" is actually 2019...

Uniquely, SCSM must have Evening Marathon Run theme that will meet the criteria of what other Day Marathon Run does not have - the cheering crowd in the evening, sunset, the carnival, iconic sights(seeing) experiences...like what we experience in 2019 SCSM...

If the Authority decides to go ahead with WMM, expect Standard Chartered Bank to renew the next three years sponsorship till 2022...watch that news soon or in 2020..and we shall be WMM in 2021 or 2022...funded and approved by the Authority.

Great Marketing effort and mess publicity has a purpose and objective from Today https://www.todayonline.com/big-read/big-read-big-business-marathons-without-public-support-spore-organisers-cant-get-piece with great thanks to @lonewolf, it is great news, because this a global business venture.

Edited by kohpapa

Yes, after the Today, Fitness blitz comes with this one CNA Lifestyle..the Authority really works fast....WMM is good for you..Marathon running

Surprise, surprise: Marathon running may be good for your knees

(info - https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/marathon-running-may-be-good-for-your-knees-12177702)

cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com-Surpris

Road closures by the public is no long an issue. The Authority has taken care of "Marathon running is good for you, join lah and don't complain, otherwise we will make you run marathon as part of National ACTIVE Lifestyle!"

Edited by kohpapa

I did read that running improves the knee strength as well... which translates to healthier knee.. but did not state how much then it will start to cause damage... haaa...

On 12/16/2019 at 3:19 AM, AutumnRunner said:

I did read that running improves the knee strength as well... which translates to healthier knee.. but did not state how much then it will start to cause damage... haaa...

The damage will surely be also down to poor technique. If I had continued in my old style, am sure my knees would have been wrecked. 86 marathons with a tyre ;) .... am now cycling everywhere and also heard this can hurt your knees due to overuse and repetitive action. But the PCNs are great and LTA will be moving forward with 1000kms of cycling paths :D

Have a great rest of year and see y'all next year 🎄🎇🥳

On 12/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, Lady Ice said:

The damage will surely be also down to poor technique. If I had continued in my old style, am sure my knees would have been wrecked. 86 marathons with a tyre ;) .... am now cycling everywhere and also heard this can hurt your knees due to overuse and repetitive action. But the PCNs are great and LTA will be moving forward with 1000kms of cycling paths :D

Have a great rest of year and see y'all next year 🎄🎇🥳

Yes, dear @Lady Ice, have a restful 2019, it has been an amazing 2019, all except for final local event 2019 MR 25 Ultramarathon (Dec 29)...anti-clockwise (MR circuit) this time, details please go to Mizuno MR25 Ultramarathon forum and support them 

Runner's knee, a very common symptom in all runners (newbies and oldbies), is what others will say, their reason for why running is bad for knees - a strong and argumentative perspective from those who from the non-running communities as well as alternative sports and exercises groups.

runner-knee.jpg

(info: https://www.healthline.com/health/runners-knee#prevention)

healthline.com-RunnersKnee-0.jpg

healthline.com RunnersKnee 1

healthline.com-RunnersKnee-2.jpg

Yes, look at the recommendations for prevention of runner's knee, cross-training like cycling, yes multi-event activities. Take a break for run. There are ways to maintain that endurance aerobic prowess that you have trained and proud of after every Marathon endeavour.

if based on Ironman - Running 42 km is as fit as 180km in cycling...is also as fit as swim 4km in a reasonable pace...sustainable peak performance - that is benchmark of endurance performance. 

Cross-training - bike - swim - brisk walking - hiking except anything then running. Let the Runner's knees take a deserving break and recover. 

Uncle just want to share: uncle ran with right "runner's knee"...

runners-knee.jpg

Aging - another cause of concern for receding muscle mess, added to the "woes" of runner's knee was uncle's nightmare for 2019 SCSM.

I adopted strengthening exercises...shared

strengthen.jpg

On SCSM day, I had to "talked" to my right knee several times..."are you ok?, because we can quit after WCH?"....no "are you ok?, because we can quit at marina barrage?...no "are you ok?, because we can quit after ECP?"...quit at GBTBay, no...quit at Sheares Bridge, no...quit at Singapore Flywheel, no...no...End Point.

Guess what, 2 days after 2019 SCSM, my right knee recovered, became stronger, and "repaired" because I adopted my posture - the right way to run, lift up "right knee", you can do it, and finally told my "right knee", you are really "endured".

Why marathon running may be good for your knees...because it is true for me as an aging, ACTIVE marathoner, well, an unker lol.

Repairing of knees are due to recovering of running regularly and understanding how to prevent with proper strengthening and "injury management".

Perseverance is the spirit and outcome of why we run marathons. We simply let the body and the legs do its miraculous nature to "repair" - the hours of running has built the body immunity...to heal.  Simple as that, trust and respect what the human body can do - repair and build and recover.

Hope this sharing will bring good reasons why 2020 will be a better year for the Running Community - looking forward to 2020/2021 WMM and let's us bring forth the good news and good tidings to those who yet know what is good to be ACTIVE Running - Run Marathon, it is good for your knees and a better Lifestyle.

Cheers! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year..

Lastly, to those whom because 2019 SCSM you are terribly affected, we accept shortcomings and accept our sincere apologies to disrupt your important planned activities.

Let bygones be bygones, only to be remembered in 2019 as a lesson that we must build a better communication and understanding so that future unforeseen incidents must be avoided.

(info: https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/months-planning-wasted-after-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-disrupts-multiple)

asiaone.com-MonthsofplanningwastedafterS

May there be Joy and Peace to All Mankind and Greater Green Earth! :)

Edited by kohpapa

Just now I did a short run of 7 km at my usual running place. My first after the SCSM to take advantage of the good weather.

Feel really good thinking back the last 3 months of preparing for my FM and achieve it. Don't know why, but the sense of satisfaction seems to be greater than on that sat crossing the actual finish line.

Thanks to all bros/sis for your encouragement!

On 12/13/2019 at 9:10 AM, yh90 said:

Come think about it, i nearly wanted to give up during my first FM.. in the end didnt and finished it in 6:27. (Sundown marathon 2014)

Wow.

Maybe I'm not that bad... Maybe can try again...

23 hours ago, starfinder said:

Just now I did a short run of 7 km at my usual running place. My first after the SCSM to take advantage of the good weather.

Feel really good thinking back the last 3 months of preparing for my FM and achieve it. Don't know why, but the sense of satisfaction seems to be greater than on that sat crossing the actual finish line.

That is good... and more to come!!

On 12/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, starfinder said:

Watch out - you’ll start participating in more marathons and accidentally book in an ultra becos you can 😜

Just now, AutumnRunner said:

That is good... and more to come!!

Just now, Lady Ice said:

Watch out - you’ll start participating in more marathons and accidentally book in an ultra becos you can 😜

Thanks bro & sis for your comments.

So far only those marathons in SG are in my do-list. So perhaps just SCSM and Sundown. Ultra definitely not for me. Too weak for that. 😂

14 hours ago, starfinder said:

Thanks bro & sis for your comments.

So far only those marathons in SG are in my do-list. So perhaps just SCSM and Sundown. Ultra definitely not for me. Too weak for that. 😂

Never say never... 

4 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Never say never... 

I will have to comfortably finish a few FMs before trying ultras. Definitely not on the table at this moment.😅

On 12/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, Lady Ice said:

@ZZIZZ congratulations for your first FM. Great also to meet @gentle  @medic @Russ @prisangel at WCH. Had a great couple of sing a longs.... and another runner had an excellent collection of songs to motivate all around. Had wondered if that was you @kohpapa as he had sandals on.

surprise to find this thread still buzzing with comments weeks after SCSM!

@Lady Ice so glad to meet you on the course and introduced myself - you are one tough cookie!

also met @prisangel along the west coast viaduct before i bonked on the way back to the city :D

never know who @kohpapa is after all these years...but will certainly be happy to meet him in person

i'll be back again next year...

On 12/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, AutumnRunner said:

Never say never... 

But you yourself already said never for ultras..........

And don't say you didn't say never just that you want to focus on FM PB timings blah blah...... I think its just an excuse...

Sorry if I come across as harsh and rude... but please don't try to encourage people to do things that you yourself wouldn't do....not just on this matter but for other things as well (e.g. like joining Marina Run)....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gentle said:

never know who @kohpapa is after all these years...but will certainly be happy to meet him in person

i'll be back again next year...

@gentle, it has been years and uncle remembered you also had your First FM and now you doing overseas FMs, congratulations.

uncle does both trail and road running, triathlon in both local and overseas, officiating in races both local and overseas, and yes, plus 3-4 years at the JustRunLah! forum which eventually "closed" this year...had many running write-ups/articles archived  which unfortunately had not been able to bring to sgRunners...

met @Lady Ice only at SCSM 2019...simply uncle officiated in past SCSM races because of the duty to serve...otherwise had run from 2016...otherwise Sundown marathons will be the other Local FM..and @gentle, I believed you started your First FM at SCSM..right?

I believed during uncle's absence from sgRunners, some of you (info: 

sgrunners.com-NOTMyFirstMarathon-SCMS201)

sgrunners.com-NOTMyFirstMarathon-SCMS201

next year, SCSM should be a Major WMM selection trial, and if more FMers here can progress their FM PBs, then the 2020 average marathoner qualification can be raised, then chances of 2021 WMM Major in Singapore will be even better...remember we were "Third Worst Marathon..."...and one of the critieria is overall what is the Race Participation average marathoner qualification..."Top 3 Marathon in the World" generally is 4:00:00...fixed-time race.

Uncle to you @gentle, you should be 30th FM and counting, with @Lady Ice, almost 100th FM and counting...and all here who still weeks later still camping and still reminiscing of wonderful times in 2019 SCSM and past SCSM editions..remember what you have said 5 years ago, so what is your FM PB will be for 2020?

merry-christmasc773e9805f17d1e4.gif

Edited by kohpapa

haha @kohpapa - thank you for the music making

and great meeting you @gentle and many more :D 

Merry Christmas and may 2020 be a zero waste year.... the kids are asking you ;) 

#86: Singapore Marathon Event

Edited by Lady Ice

32 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

haha @kohpapa - thank you for the music making

and great meeting you @gentle and many more :D 

Merry Christmas and may 2020 be a zero waste year.... the kids are asking you ;) 

#86: Singapore Marathon Event

👍 running1-gif.gif  cheers to all!

Edited by kohpapa

On 12/21/2019 at 11:41 PM, starfinder said:

I will have to comfortably finish a few FMs before trying ultras. Definitely not on the table at this moment.😅

same as me too.... i dunno when i would try but definitely not now... legs just aren't to par...

Edited by AutumnRunner

2 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

same as me too.... i dunno when i would try but definitely not now... legs just aren't to par...

No worries bro. If you are very keen in running, sooner or later you will accomplish ultra. An achievable goal as long as you have finished marathons.

For myself, I aim to actually complete a triathlon. Personally, I find it much tougher as I have to overcome my fear of water, not to say swim in open sea. And I am just talking about the most basic of discovery triathlon (e.g. 250 m swim) 😅

5 hours ago, starfinder said:

For myself, I aim to actually complete a triathlon. Personally, I find it much tougher as I have to overcome my fear of water, not to say swim in open sea. And I am just talking about the most basic of discovery triathlon (e.g. 250 m swim) 😅

Welcome to the triathlon...at least you must able to swim in Open Water.

biathlon.jpg

This one does not include Bike distance.

I am just talking about the most basic of discovery triathlon (e.g. 250 m swim) - that will be like 2.4KM run equivalent.

@starfinder, keep on your discovery for both Triathlon and Ultra Run Goals. Uncle invites you to start a forum thread for Triathlon for Newbies or Runners who don't know how to Swim in Open Water. 😀

Edited by kohpapa

1 hour ago, kohpapa said:

Welcome to the triathlon...at least you must able to swim in Open Water.

biathlon.jpg

This one does not include Bike distance.

I am just talking about the most basic of discovery triathlon (e.g. 250 m swim) - that will be like 2.4KM run equivalent.

@starfinder, keep on your discovery for both Triathlon and Ultra Run Goals. Uncle invites you to start a forum thread for Triathlon for Newbies or Runners who don't know how to Swim in Open Water. 😀

Uncle, so far I can only swim 6 laps in pool😂 Got to comfortably swim at least 10 laps before daring to try open water! The metasprint discovery is 250 m. It is achievable because once out 50 m, then do a coastal swim of 150 m before turning back. A good starting race for newbies!

But truth is as I age, I become more kiasi and it becomes more difficult to overcome fear of water. 

4 hours ago, starfinder said:

Uncle, so far I can only swim 6 laps in pool😂 Got to comfortably swim at least 10 laps before daring to try open water! The metasprint discovery is 250 m. It is achievable because once out 50 m, then do a coastal swim of 150 m before turning back. A good starting race for newbies!

But truth is as I age, I become more kiasi and it becomes more difficult to overcome fear of water. 

learn how from uncle...

aiya, next time if go ECP, run, swim, beach running..and bike...then run...

uncle teach you lah...for example, when SSW wind blowing...which is in June-Sept when monsoon season changes

recognising where wind direction comes and how tides moves...looking at how ships bow and stern are parked at along ECP.. 

ship.jpg

sail.jpg

The front of a ship is called the bow, while the rear of a ship is called the stern. When looking towards the bow (while on the ship), the left-hand side of the ship is the port side...starboard is the corresponding word for the right side of a ship...you shall see some open water wannabies swimming anti-clockwise - easier swim..and you swim clock-wise...sebei challenging and means you really swim "very hard"...

Knowledge of Monsoon season, wind and tides are essential...

monsoon.jpg

Get some fun running at ECP next time with uncle..of course...it is advisable if you don't know how to swim in "open water", never do it...you have been warned not to do it alone...otherwise kena "swept" away become sharks' food, and also cause pollution to greater green ocean...and @Lady Ice gona catch you for no consideration to others why you never bring water bottle  to drink when you open water...

otherwise join uncle with your discussion on how to...or create your forum thread on learn how to do open water, ride bike, run..

and let this forum ends in 2019...few more days to 2020...we no start 2020 SCSM or other non-running events here loh...

Edited by kohpapa

6 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Get some fun running at ECP next time with uncle..of course...it is advisable if you don't know how to swim in "open water", never do it...you have been warned not to do it alone...otherwise kena "swept" away become sharks' food, and also cause pollution to greater green ocean...and @Lady Ice gona catch you for no consideration to others why you never bring water bottle  to drink when you open water...

Thanks Uncle for info! The metasprint triathlon is in April. Usually during Feb, Mar and April periods for their 3 disciplines. Will target to attempt the Triathlon in 2021. I did the Duathlon 2 years back. It was fun doing a multi discipline race.

22 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Thanks Uncle for info! The metasprint triathlon is in April. Usually during Feb, Mar and April periods for their 3 disciplines. Will target to attempt the Triathlon in 2021. I did the Duathlon 2 years back. It was fun doing a multi discipline race.

So, can you and uncle leave this wonderful 2019 SCSM forum, and you start a forum thread on anything Duathlon or Triathlon so that uncle and multi-event bros and sis can discuss and have chats there?

It is off-season for endurance runs from Feb-April...except Sundown Marathon in May. Let our wonderful bros and sis at 2019 SCSM who not really interested in ultras or duathlon or triathlon, end this forum.

Happy New Year. wah...uncle already wished everyone 3rd times already... 

hny2020.gif

Edited by kohpapa

7 hours ago, starfinder said:

If you intend to be shark food please swim naked so that there is no plastic left in the water.  Swim costume is made from plastic!  (Polyester)

My post for all for Happy 2020 https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/2019/12/24/merry-christmas-good-bye-2019/

image.png.5fdbaab7e81e24a8081506e99304509f.png

Edited by Lady Ice