lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

I think our local races, including SCSM, lack the type of crowds support these major races have in their countries. I read and seen these majors in youtubes and it is pretty amazing how the locals came to cheer on the runners.

Perhaps it is due to how our running routes are planned and locations which probably make it difficult for crowd participation.

If the SCSM intends to raise the price to the tune of $ 150 just to get WMM, then I rather not participate.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2019 at 2:15 PM, beast said:

There was a $10 past participant discount, but only for past FM runners that register in the last 4 days.

I mentioned it earlier - since it is a past participant discount, why was it only for 4 days and not for the entire sign-up period?

And nobody knows why the discount is only for FM runners.

A whopping 28% price increase is too ridiculous - I posed the question on FB asking them to justify the price increase, but they ignore my question (as expected)........ 

The event break into 3 different day.So need to pay more to the volunteer, security , MC and LTA. 

Edited by mover

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

I think our local races, including SCSM, lack the type of crowds support these major races have in their countries. I read and seen these majors in youtubes and it is pretty amazing how the locals came to cheer on the runners.

Perhaps it is due to how our running routes are planned and locations which probably make it difficult for crowd participation.

If the SCSM intends to raise the price to the tune of $ 150 just to get WMM, then I rather not participate.

a BIG IF, if they become the 7th world major... i would still pay $150 (price is on par with the current world majors) to join for the first one

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

SCSM can raise the fees, is able to improve the logistics, provide live coverage and web streaming. May be they are able to get 15000 finisher for FM. But the biggest challenge is are they able to get the type of crowds support like all the other WMM races have? Pull in organisation, schools to get people to line up to provide all the cheering?

32 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

SCSM can raise the fees, is able to improve the logistics, provide live coverage and web streaming. May be they are able to get 15000 finisher for FM. But the biggest challenge is are they able to get the type of crowds support like all the other WMM races have? Pull in organisation, schools to get people to line up to provide all the cheering?

Our usual race routes make it difficult for crowd support. And it appears the crowds supporting the WMM all doing it willingly from their hearts. Those that have ran in such overseas races would understand this. A good race event doesn't have to be gold label or WMM. 

Do not attend SCM for past few years due to oversea IM... Wish to return to this year edition but i'm was "shock" that scm convert to an evening race..

I still prefer am race rather than pm... and saw u guys talking abt another race  fee hike/.... now i starting to hesitant to sign up..

:unsure:

57 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Our usual race routes make it difficult for crowd support. And it appears the crowds supporting the WMM all doing it willingly from their hearts. Those that have ran in such overseas races would understand this. A good race event doesn't have to be gold label or WMM. 

Then I would rather SCSM forget about bidding for WMM, just focus on doing what they are able to do, make it a successful biggest marathon local event, then being a 7th major but feel 2nd class due to poor crowd support. If SCSM is doing live streaming, the world will wonder where is all the :clapping:???

11 hours ago, starfinder said:

WMM has become so successful in their branding, it warrants them to charge higher registration fees and still be able to attract larget sign-ups, see stalky79 below for a perfect example.

1 hour ago, stalky79 said:

a BIG IF, if they become the 7th world major... i would still pay $150 (price is on par with the current world majors) to join for the first one

There is no BIG IF. The switch to a night run is a strategic move to iron out the remaining criteria that we cannot fulfill if we stick to a morning run. Given Ironman's background I would say there is a 90% chance that we will get the WMM status by 2021, and if we don't its a 100% that we will get it at 2022 or later date.

2 hours ago, mover said:

The event break into 3 different day.So need to pay more to the volunteer, security , MC and LTA. 

If that's the case shouldn't we just consolidate resources into a 2 day event and drive costs down? Again, I don't know why Kids Dash needs to be a day on its own.

1 hour ago, starfinder said:

We don't have the sports culture that is in the other countries under WMM. Sports have never been seen something important in our lives or the country at large, as it has always been about the economics. The government has never been eager nor enthusiastic to promote sports, so we also follow the same direction from the government. Even a road closure at Chinatown had the residents and businessmen there complain, you already know that we can never see the same level of public support as the other countries.

13 minutes ago, delldell314 said:

Do not attend SCM for past few years due to oversea IM... Wish to return to this year edition but i'm was "shock" that scm convert to an evening race..

I still prefer am race rather than pm... and saw u guys talking abt another race  fee hike/.... now i starting to hesitant to sign up..

:unsure:

I have never ran an evening marathon before, so this will be something fresh for me.

Give it a try, for experience's sake? I don't think there are any evening marathons overseas either, as far as I can remember. 

37 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

Then I would rather SCSM forget about bidding for WMM, just focus on doing what they are able to do, make it a successful biggest marathon local event, then being a 7th major but feel 2nd class due to poor crowd support. If SCSM is doing live streaming, the world will wonder where is all the :clapping:???

I think the crowd support criteria should be the least of all concerns. I believe as long as part of the route covers a crowded part of the city it should be OK. We will be able to know and experience it this year when we run it.

Live streaming is a joke lah - how many people actually tune in to it? This is not F1.

20 minutes ago, beast said:

I think the crowd support criteria should be the least of all concerns. I believe as long as part of the route covers a crowded part of the city it should be OK. We will be able to know and experience it this year when we run it.

Live streaming is a joke lah - how many people actually tune in to it? This is not F1.

Live streaming is more about watching the elites race. I've actually watched coverage on Youtube of some of the big races such as Boston and London. Quite interesting to watch if big name runners like Eliud Kipchoge and Mo Farah are there.

Signed up for HM category, Pen B (sub 1:45 timing). Had to submit proof via a URL. I think this is the first time I'm doing something like this for a local race. Good move to discourage overcrowding at the start pens further in front. 

Haven't done a proper SCSM Half-Marathon for about 10 years, so am looking forward to it!

6 minutes ago, warp9wb said:

Live streaming is more about watching the elites race. I've actually watched coverage on Youtube of some of the big races such as Boston and London. Quite interesting to watch if big name runners like Eliud Kipchoge and Mo Farah are there.

Kipchoge will surely be able to secure course record , if he wants to go there and race. The course record at scsm is 2:10.

5 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Had to submit proof via a URL. I think this is the first time I'm doing something like this for a local race.

Based on my experience, SCSM has already started doing this a couple of years ago... ?

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

Based on my experience, SCSM has already started doing this a couple of years ago... ?

If you are talking about the different Pen, I dun recall having to provide any proof of race timing. So it was just self-declared.

If they are really taking the steps to ask for proof, then this is really a step in the right direction. But of cos, I hope you guys realised that all these measures are just adding to the cost of running the whole show. Even if the task can be automated to some extent, someone will still need to verify the information in some form or another.

7 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

Signed up for HM category, Pen B (sub 1:45 timing). Had to submit proof via a URL. I think this is the first time I'm doing something like this for a local race. Good move to discourage overcrowding at the start pens further in front. 

Haven't done a proper SCSM Half-Marathon for about 10 years, so am looking forward to it!

Thought only pen a elites need?

when pen b need to submit proof sia... lol

8 hours ago, ov3rw3ight said:

53 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Thought only pen a elites need?

when pen b need to submit proof sia... lol

It a good move. Imagine thousand choose this timing when you know it impossible . 

13 hours ago, mover said:

It a good move. Imagine thousand choose this timing when you know it impossible . 

Actually, even pen C is a challenging timing for most (85-90%) runners. It would be good to submit proof for pen C as well in the future. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gusluk said:

Probably the problem is everyone put Pen B. Then how

Thats the problem.

Pen B is sub 330 pen and any runner can opt there.

Pen C is Sub 4 pen.

Any idea if proof of result need to be from 2018/2019 races? Or can it be from 2017 races?

12 hours ago, starfinder said:

I selected the last pen. Definitely going slow on this one. Lol

A smart choice. last pen will start later and the whether will cooler. 

12 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

The cons of starting at last pen or latter waves in any race are blocked by walkers in front who do not keep to the left. For me, if I have to walk take rest, I always keep to the left. This SCSM will be my 1st FM, if I am able to complete it albeit my knee pain. So got to go the last pen and don't block the good runners lah...lol.

24 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Not scare kena sweep? Last year kohpapa joined the last wave and shared his experience of shorter cut off time given to last wave because of road reopening for traffic.

57 minutes ago, puppyrun said:

Not scare kena sweep? Last year kohpapa joined the last wave and shared his experience of shorter cut off time given to last wave because of road reopening for traffic.

Well, early pen or late pen, every pen has its advantage and disadvantage, you have to think about the details, prioritize the factors and make decision. You have to balance...?