lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

14 minutes ago, Slow Runner said:

Were you in front or behind the sweeper squad? Just curious.

I was in front of the sweeper squad. I think the sweeper squad came in 10 mins later. They must have followed the last wave of runners in Pen G. And I saw the sweeper mini bus too along West Coast Highway. 

22 hours ago, puppyrun said:

https://www.sportsplits.com/races/singapore-marathon-2019/events/1/gender/Male?page=202

https://www.sportsplits.com/races/singapore-marathon-2019/events/1/gender/Male?page=218

https://www.sportsplits.com/races/singapore-marathon-2019/events/1/gender/Female?page=53

https://www.sportsplits.com/races/singapore-marathon-2019/events/1/gender/Female?page=58

From the above, there were around 900 to 1000 runners DNF for Full Marathon. The figures for NYS was quite high. Was wondering what was NYS (Not Yet Start?).

Also, was curious for those runners who completed their run after 7:30 hours (some with timings after 8 hours), were they given the finisher Tees and Medals? 

Noticed that those who walked from start and cant reach the cut off points in time, are being swept up by the bus.

There are some who got swept up, somehow rejoined the route and crossed the finishing point.

There are also some who did not start from start point and started from 20km mark or so, also crossed the finishing line (Considered DNF)

Cut off Points for FM just for recap

5.4km: 7.57pm

11.7km: 9.04pm

19.1km: 10:23pm

27.7km: 11:55pm

32.4km: 12:45am

36.9km: 1:33am

39.5km: 2:01am

snip_2019_scsm.png

snip_20191212163720scsm.png

Edited by yh90
1 minute ago, yh90 said:

There are some who got swept up, somehow rejoined the route and crossed the finishing point.

But I think even if rejoin, there may be some check points not crossed. The result would have been DNF? I had a friend took part in the marathon some years back. He went to medical aid and rested. Then the medical vehicle transported him to rejoin route near the finishing point.

Just now, starfinder said:

But I think even if rejoin, there may be some check points not crossed. The result would have been DNF? I had a friend took part in the marathon some years back. He went to medical aid and rested. Then the medical vehicle transported him to rejoin route near the finishing point.

Yes, considered as DNF. but then the sense of accomplishment isnt there anymore.

2 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Yes, considered as DNF. but then the sense of accomplishment isnt there anymore.

You are right. The sense of achievement is great even if I have to come in 8 hr. This is because having complete a full one gives me confidence to do another one. Giving up half way may pose a mental barrier to try for another one. 

Apology for suddenly departure form last post, and having to come here to share...

Soh Rui Yong: What he wants to be and what he aspires to accomplish in 2020. You can take note of what is his aspired Marathon time..

Extracted  from Soh Rui Yong FB: (copyright) - for the objective for inspiration to the running community here.

Thank you Sasikumar Ramu and CNA938 for getting me on your show for a chat. He asked about my interest in coaching in the future, and this was my answer.

The best thing about coaching is the satisfaction you get from helping others fulfill their hopes and dreams. There's simply nothing that beats it, not even your own achievements.

Enjoy :).

Sorry to interrupt you holly jolly mood.

End.

13 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Apology for suddenly departure form last post, and having to come here to share...

Soh Rui Yong: What he wants to be and what he aspires to accomplish in 2020. You can take note of what is his aspired Marathon time..

Extracted  from Soh Rui Yong FB: (copyright) - for the objective for inspiration to the running community here.

Thank you Sasikumar Ramu and CNA938 for getting me on your show for a chat. He asked about my interest in coaching in the future, and this was my answer.

The best thing about coaching is the satisfaction you get from helping others fulfill their hopes and dreams. There's simply nothing that beats it, not even your own achievements.

Enjoy :).

Sorry to interrupt you holly jolly mood.

End.

He’s stopped talking about qualifying for olympics for some time. He used to be quite adamant that he stood a chance. Given the new qualifying standards, his only realistic chance is to somehow qualify as top ten in certain races. 

Just now, puppyrun said:

Good spirit! Never give up! Die die also must complete! :goodjob:

Thanks bro. The first milestone is usually the toughest. Later tries will be easier as had completed it and learn how to manage it. Just like the first time I ran HM. Didn't know much and dragged myself across the finish line. Subsequent HMs become much better.

48 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Thanks bro. The first milestone is usually the toughest. Later tries will be easier as had completed it and learn how to manage it. Just like the first time I ran HM. Didn't know much and dragged myself across the finish line. Subsequent HMs become much better.

Singapore is a hard run so great you able to finish. 😀

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

Come think about it, i nearly wanted to give up during my first FM.. in the end didnt and finished it in 6:27. (Sundown marathon 2014)

congrats guys and gals who FMed on their First or Many Tries/Attempts, uncle gave this motivation:

be-happier.png

Hope there is a closure. Yes, talk 2020 Marathon, 2020 Sundown Marathon (local) Forum is ready. Let It Go. 2019 SCSM will be remembered in coming days counting down to 2020, as one of the very best of all past editions of SCSMs. 

"Majulah Marathon Singapura" (meaning "Onward Singapore Marathon") :)

Dear bros and sis of the beloved forum,

Right now, there has been vicious heated discussions on Soh on issues with SA and SNOC with matters relating to Ashley Liew. Again, this is "distraction" which we must not be part of it.

Please channel your feedback or discussion for proper understanding:

Yes, who is Soh Rui Yong as an athlete and perhaps as a 28-year-old, he challenge the Authority is like Child-Parent relationship. Yes, Soh when asked what's his weakness is, he replied why.

Let us be objective, for once we were also young, and may be considered as a rebellious act when we challenged our parents, the authority and sometimes, ourselves.

A very personal  question to Soh, "Are you a polarizing character which most claim you are...? What is your weakness...?"

We had previously been "attacked" for why we run SCSM Evening and disrupt others' social events. Again, we were asked, is it us that cause the Road Blocks, and who is the Authority that decides and allows?

Again, it is the Authority with NSA (SA) with dealings with Management, Officials, Coaches and Athletes. Let us no get involved in we are pro or anti - Soh. We are just runners who just run for passion.

Let the Authority handles the NSA (SA) and its disruption. Let the Authority handles why there were Road Closures disruptions on SCSM.

Let us not be "disrupted" by all others who want us to partake in matters which is "It is the Authority's job to handle them."

Edited by kohpapa
18 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

He’s stopped talking about qualifying for olympics for some time. He used to be quite adamant that he stood a chance. Given the new qualifying standards, his only realistic chance is to somehow qualify as top ten in certain races. 

Good observation @wonderfulblevic, good to engage with you, seems like "years" ago when we did chat silly, trial running like MR 25 Ultramarathon.

Soh needs to be recommended by SA with approval from SNOC. It has to be a recent 2019 SEA Games Qualifying Time which we all know, he was omitted. The Authority also knows, that will definitely kill Soh's ambition to qualify as for 2020 Tokyo Olympic Trial (at least a Bronze level or nearer).

Soh talks more on 2020 Goldcoast Marathon as a Marathoner and as a Coach (2020) which he will build his team better than the SEA best records.

Realistically, he looks upon a career as a Marathoner is to Coach and earn money. Perhaps he became matured, and knowing what is most important is still "bread and butter" issue.

2.15 is his standard for himself and as Coach - a target set for his team.

We can only wish Soh all the best with his new coaching career in 2020.

Edited by kohpapa
4 hours ago, kohpapa said:

congrats guys and gals who FMed on their First or Many Tries/Attempts, uncle gave this motivation:

be-happier.png

Hope there is a closure. Yes, talk 2020 Marathon, 2020 Sundown Marathon (local) Forum is ready. Let It Go. 2019 SCSM will be remembered in coming days counting down to 2020, as one of the very best of all past editions of SCSMs. 

"Majulah Marathon Singapura" (meaning "Onward Singapore Marathon") :)

remembered cause we ran the 1st ever evening Full Marathon in SCSM.... we made history possible... hhahh...

SCSM attendance at 51k includes all the categories and not only the marathon unlike other events. TODAY's article is not really comparing what should be compared (SCMS FM vs other WMMs FM) and there is so little interest for SCMS FM that slots are available for a very long time after registration opens unlike other countries in Asia (HK for example) let alone WMMs.

Edited by ludo_56
54 minutes ago, ludo_56 said:

SCSM attendance at 51k includes all the categories and not only the marathon unlike other events. TODAY's article is not really comparing what should be compared (SCMS FM vs other WMMs FM) and there is so little interest for SCMS FM that slots are available for a very long time after registration opens unlike other countries in Asia (HK for example) let alone WMMs.

Welcome @ludo_56, yes, you are right about "there is so little interest for SCMS FM that slots are available for a very long time after registration opens unlike other countries in Asia (HK for example) let alone WMMs."

Yes, we are yet SCSM:WMMs, and so how do we compare apples and eggs?

Perhaps, uncle can help, use info and facts for everyone to understand better WMM (Who are the FMers) vs SCSM (FMers who are Participants to Finish)

(Info: https://www.runsociety.com/highlight/world-marathon-majors-asia-qualifying-marathons/)

runsociety.com-The-Full-List-of-The-Worl

runsociety.com-The-Full-List-of-The-Worl

So the number 51K indicated the number of Runners in SCSM 2019 (latest as reported in Today article). @ludo_56 you are absolutely correct.

However, when you become interested in WMM, there should be a selection and qualification process, and not mere participation like SCSM - register, sign-up and your get a bib, Pen Zone to start, finish within a qualifying set timing.

Of course, there is "ranking" process based on standards and quality of the race itself. Such as Average FM Qualifiers 4:00:00.

Be patient to all, as long as we are not ready to run WMM like Boston Acceptable Qualifiers (Benchmark): faster by 20mins, 10mins, 5 mins or 10 or more conservative Bostom Marathons Average Qualifiers standard.

qualify.jpg

Hope more here can progress their PBs is the only way to make SCSM towards WMM Qualifiers, and not merely be FM Participants to Finish from 2021. :)

Edited by kohpapa

I did not have to qualify for either London nor New York. Both are WMMs. I got into NY by joining a running tour. I gave my fastest time as 7:30 then. I was allowed in. There are many large people in the US using the marathon to go beyond themselves. When I say large - they are 3 times my size in width!!!

10 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

In terms of the organisation of the run at SCSM this year, would have to say it was very comparable to both London and New York.

Now the expo will need to be updated to make it even better.

10 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

I did not have to qualify for either London nor New York. Both are WMMs. I got into NY by joining a running tour. I gave my fastest time as 7:30 then. I was allowed in. There are many large people in the US using the marathon to go beyond themselves. When I say large - they are 3 times my size in width!!!

Thank you @Lady Ice for clarification on London and New York

Can we have those who via Berlin, Boston and perhaps Tokyo Marathons, willing to share.

If what we believe WMM is just an entry via WMM Running Tour, then WWW becomes just a commercial transaction for anyone with the $$$ you will pay just to run :) irregardless of your running time.

So, every First December Saturday Evening WMM (Singapore), we are just part of Global Tourist Running Circuit?

Well this is example info about Running WWM Tours (3-year plan):

(info - https://gabiruns.com/2018/03/17/whats-the-costs-of-running-the-world-marathon-majors-wmm/)

gabiruns.com-Whats-the-costs-of-running-

Yes, uncle loves you too for global running tourism enterprising lobang....🤑

Edited by kohpapa
7 hours ago, ludo_56 said:

You are right. 
Given our size, I doubt we will ever have a critical mass to yield 2-3 times the number of full marathoners, unless the majority are made up of tourists. My take is that the TODAY article was coming from the perspective of sheer participant numbers ie the scale of the organizational effort involved. After all, a WMM need not be a “full marathon only” event. Even though the WMMs today are essentially that. But Tokyo always have 1000 10km slots as well. Hence i don’t think it’s a rule that WMMs MUST be “full marathon only” event. Perhaps Singapore is using our limitation as a strength. Having more categories also mean broader appeal to wider range of participants (and tourists). This uniqueness is good from the tourist receipts and money making perspectives for STB and Ironman. You could also argue it is good for the sport - not as elitist as other WMMs. For the purists, a “marathon” is 42.195km. But I recall when I was (very) young, I took part in Singapore marathon 10km category, and the hardcopy certificate stated “Quarter Marathon”. :)  So I guess we can still be part of WMM, cos it is not “World Full Marathon Major” (WFMM”).