lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

The date for next year has already been fixed on 5-6 Dec (Sat and Sun). So its 101% an evening race again! :crazysmile:

Not sure if shifting it to the first week of Dec will make a difference or not in term of traffic. Likely no. 

Edited by lonewolf
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

The date for next year has already been fixed on 5-6 Dec (Sat and Sun). So its 101% an evening race again! :crazysmile:

Not sure if shifting it to the first week of Dec will make a difference or not in term of traffic. Likely no. 

Hopefully slightly cooler temperatures 😀🙏

On 12/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, beast said:

I still see a few who do it. You probably miss it because you are in an earlier pen.

Since moving to F1 pit building, they were able to increase the number of portal toilets before the start of the run, and it is way more than the pathetic numbers at that Angsana car park.

Which brings me to an interesting point - in the past your blog is always, for some reason, very concerned about the number of portal toilets at the starting point. But your recent race reviews t think you no longer cover that already... Why hah? No urge to pee before a run anymore?

These days many are providing good numbers from what I see... so this somehow becomes a norm... those who still dun learn the lesson, I will voice it out... 

And the last few races i always pee leh as compared to previous cause previously I dun wanna queue and be late... haaa

5 hours ago, lonewolf said:

That is fast and just hope there will be less mass crowding events on the same evening

Got heated debates in forums about this. Especially edmw

Edited by yh90

I’m sure the situation will be improved next year. It’s just like first year of F1. Now that the authorities and organizers have ‘apologized’ for it, I’m sure they will put in additional effort to improve things. 

Stay calm and keep running. 

18 hours ago, lonewolf said:

The date for next year has already been fixed on 5-6 Dec (Sat and Sun). So its 101% an evening race again! :crazysmile:Not sure if shifting it to the first week of Dec will make a difference or not in term of traffic. Likely no. 

It is always on the first week of Dec.... technically this year also, coz it crosses over to 1 Dec....

Let's see the situation next year:

AFA - Always on the last week of Nov, unless for some reason they shift...

Concert - Hard to control as can't foresee which popular artiste or group might come over...

Christmas by the bay - This will always be around Nov/Dec period, but from what I see people usually take the train to go Gardens By The Bay...

I also think it will not make a difference in the traffic.... unless they cut more of the city and move more KMs to ECP, which will be an easy fix that will please most stakeholders...  

Also next year Kids Dash will no longer be on a Friday evening....

3 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I’m sure the situation will be improved next year. It’s just like first year of F1. Now that the authorities and organizers have ‘apologized’ for it, I’m sure they will put in additional effort to improve things. 

Stay calm and keep running. 

Can only hope for the best...

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

EDMW seriously? That's one of the worst places to go to for constructive discussions....

Edited by beast

4 hours ago, yh90 said:

I saw you post there. But I wouldn't bother with them, coz they will never see your point of view. Stay away from there. 

Only one thread is worth posting there. The evening runners thread. 

1 hour ago, beast said:

It is always on the first week of Dec.... technically this year also, coz it crosses over to 1 Dec....

Let's see the situation next year:

AFA - Always on the last week of Nov, unless for some reason they shift...

Concert - Hard to control as can't foresee which popular artiste or group might come over...

Christmas by the bay - This will always be around Nov/Dec period, but from what I see people usually take the train to go Gardens By The Bay...

I also think it will not make a difference in the traffic.... unless they cut more of the city and move more KMs to ECP, which will be an easy fix that will please most stakeholders...  

Also next year Kids Dash will no longer be on a Friday evening....

Can only hope for the best...

EDMW seriously? That's one of the worst places to go to for constructive discussions....

Ya. some felt runners too self entitled and only want to run marathon to show off.

But then most are just keyboard warriors, hence nth to fear from them.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:15 PM, Lady Ice said:

P.S. Maybe you can be a Tyre Pulling dude next year. New Challenge. It will give me a break :)

Lady Ice, don't get me wrong, I wonder why no "tar poh" or man dragging tyre during mega run recent years since "Ah Xiao" era (to date, he is the only one completed the whole full marathon course by dragging the tyre all the way :good:) and let you "char ball" or lady pull the tyre instead.

P.S. Not me "lah", I'll be half dead even if I run the FM with my small 1.5 L Camelbak Hydrobak hydration backpack!

I usually run lite without water bottle and mobile phone.

Those that ran in character costumes, like Spiderman and Darth Vadar, are also very gung-ho. Can't imagine running long distances all wrapped up under SG's hot and humid conditions.

6 hours ago, activerun said:

Lady Ice, don't get me wrong, I wonder why no "tar poh" or man dragging tyre during mega run recent years since "Ah Xiao" era (to date, he is the only one completed the whole full marathon course by dragging the tyre all the way :good:) and let you "char ball" or lady pull the tyre instead.

P.S. Not me "lah", I'll be half dead even if I run the FM with my small 1.5 L Camelbak Hydrobak hydration backpack!

I usually run lite without water bottle and mobile phone.

Actually not to take anything away from ah siao but I dragged my tyre all the way in the Singapore marathon in 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 and stopped doing the Singapore Marathon at that point. I dragged my tyre in other events going up to ultras (such as twilight) until I got to 50 marathon events and then began to do part way pull and part way carry in longer ultra events up to 150km. 

After a 6 year break of the Singapore marathon, I restarted doing the Singapore marathon in 2018 to put a point across as part of the actions we can take as runners. However after being on my feet all day Long doing the expo beforehand, I found I was tired for the event and also need to consider the safety of other runners on the road. It is not really possible to drag my tyre all the way on the wch and parts of East Coast.

This year I Cycled Everyday to the expo - 15km out to the expo and 15km back home - except for the Saturday where I took a train to Marina Bay to do the morning session at the expo and then headed over to the F1 pit to set up signage etc and meet my Green Ambassadors from Green Nudge to guide them. There was at least 5km of walking before the event on the day. 3 weeks up until the expo have been running around getting stuff set up. Quite frankly I was physically and mentally exhausted by the time the marathon started and stopped pulling at about 7km just because of exhaustion regardless of narrow parts of the course. Have discovered I do have some limits ;)

5 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

Actually not to take anything away from ah siao but I dragged my tyre all the way in the Singapore marathon in 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 and stopped doing the Singapore Marathon at that point. I dragged my tyre in other events going up to ultras (such as twilight) until I got to 50 marathon events and then began to do part way pull and part way carry in longer ultra events up to 150km. 

Hi Lady Ice, you are simply awesome...!

14 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

After a 6 year break of the Singapore marathon, I restarted doing the Singapore marathon in 2018 to put a point across as part of the actions we can take as runners. However after being on my feet all day Long doing the expo beforehand, I found I was tired for the event and also need to consider the safety of other runners on the road. It is not really possible to drag my tyre all the way on the wch and parts of East Coast.

Dear Ice Lady, you have my respect when i saw you pulling tyre last year SCSM especially you believe so much in your worthy cause. Keep up your good work & i will bin my trash properly. Cheers.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, BUSA said:

Power & Hi^5 @77james

Well said directing those CryBabiesCry & SpoiltBrats who condemned+criticized about scms2019.

Btw, I'm ALL UP (101%) for 6pm marathon SCMS2020 *FingersToesCroxxed*

No doubt last Saturday FM was humid, just like what I shared with Bro@ZZIZZ,

Last Saturday at every 1stAid-Booths had ready prepared tied plasticbags filled with icecubes. Bite small portion 1side at bottom,held upside down, rest against both side necks , on face, forehead ,armpits (onwards against on wherever of body) in no time icecubes melt alittle, turn plasticbag(bottom with hole downwards) hold plasticbag above on top your head let icy water flow on to your head ,which will cont flow downwards forehead ,face ,neck , chest, back ,tummy. No doubt vest/tee bottoms socks be wet, boh piang already soaked with perspiration. Important to bring down body temperature.

Just my 2cents. Here's [my attachment]  my comparisons distance I clocked  using my FR910,NikeRunClub(HP app) & weloop(china watch)IMG_20191205_142922.thumb.jpg.7eb98a735f07b957800d68292f6c99db.jpg

My Garmin recorded a timing of 42.8km. 

Marathon distance is 42.125km

difference is 605m which is around 1.5 round of stadium. 

Based on yr 3 watch are all on the higher side. 

This race is aims certified and gold label race. Somehow can’t be all digital device is so inaccurate. Even if I deviate off track  to pee also can’t be that much. 

I have ran race which recorded slightly shorter distance than actual distance.. make me wonder who is more accurate. 

Even with a lot of tall building.. it shouldn’t be that much different 

Sorry 42.195km to be exact.

i still don’t think I had run that much extra. Even on the outer side of the course or went off too pee etc.. 

Edited by 77james

i Find the extra distance acceptable. We are always not going to be able to run the exact distance. Due to the wide roads etc, we can’t always run the curves and tangents. Also some amount of weaving between runners. I’ve never had a marathon which my watch measured very near 41.195. Some races it measures almost 43km or more, including other marathon major races. 

15 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

This year I Cycled Everyday to the expo - 15km out to the expo and 15km back home - except for the Saturday where I took a train to Marina Bay to do the morning session at the expo and then headed over to the F1 pit to set up signage etc and meet my Green Ambassadors from Green Nudge to guide them. There was at least 5km of walking before the event on the day. 3 weeks up until the expo have been running around getting stuff set up. Quite frankly I was physically and mentally exhausted by the time the marathon started and stopped pulling at about 7km just because of exhaustion regardless of narrow parts of the course. Have discovered I do have some limits ;)

Kudos to you LadyIce for your many years achievement!💪

More criticisms - taken from the TODAY’s Facebook page or sent to Voices (TODAY forum page)

‘Selfish’ and ‘ridiculous’: Response from Singapore Marathon organisers on traffic gridlock draws ire

I know my opinions may be biased but I find it a little ironical when the comments posted are just as 'selfish and ridiculous' eg. "Suggest Lim Chu Kang or Pulau Ubin", "this boils down to chest-thumping and prestige, without caring for the inconvenience it causes non-participating Singaporeans", "The right thing would be to never hold it again", 

Hi Guys, we cannot pleased everybody. Last year when SCSM was held in the morning, there were alot KPKB at FB about JAM in Spore. I rebutted them that this was only 1 year once so why can't they bear with it?

In my opinion whether day or night, they will still complain. Since Spore sporting culture is not there, their mindset will always be negative. So simply don't bother to explain.

2 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

In my opinion whether day or night, they will still complain. Since Spore sporting culture is not there, their mindset will always be negative. So simply don't bother to explain.

Totally agree with your point.

7 hours ago, lonewolf said:

"The right thing would be to never hold it again"

Who did free up this person from Mars?

15 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

i Find the extra distance acceptable. We are always not going to be able to run the exact distance. Due to the wide roads etc, we can’t always run the curves and tangents. Also some amount of weaving between runners. I’ve never had a marathon which my watch measured very near 41.195. Some races it measures almost 43km or more, including other marathon major races. 

GPS watch is not always accurate, especially when running through the high building area, for example Raffles Place/CBD area.

With respective credits (given and noted) to these videos for the purpose on archiving for the running community for information on how to improve for future SCSM races...we thank you for having your wonderful running experiences to be shared here...enjoy :)

2 versions...local running community: 

and foreign running community:

Yo, hoho, we are heading to the festive season of merry christmas, may joy and peace to all mankind, 2019 has come to a positive ending for SCSM...

Let there be a closure and be a lesson learned from one another, communication.

There was once when the themes of previous SCSM were for raising funds for charity, cummunity-building and bonding of the North-East-South-West...thought this year will be Community-based running clubs intra competition...but instead this year is for WMM and why evening run will appeal to more participation...so that is reason for road closures...leading to others saying, "What, is that what you runners are running for - entitlement to your mission, and how about our personal entitlement of our own social events..."

Uncle is not going to start a debate of whoever start to bicker, will end up, having lengthy discussion of the negative feelings of "who is right to each other entitlement" - every 1st sat or 1st sunday (evening or morning) of december...if can be less disruptive for all concerned, it will be a step towards harmony for all...

Running community must justify WMM, because Qualifier to proof is great recognition of runners who deserving to be credited in Hours:Mins:Secs. WMM would also mean Qualifier to proof will later be cut from 7.5, to 7 to 6 to 5 and even 4, which in uncle's opinion if Singapore Marathon is to be a world-class Marathon Event deserving just like F1 Night Race, only for competitive reason, and already some have shown reservation that what happened if local participants not able to meet the minimum qualifier criteria, and for the first time, local cannot even participate in her own Marathon Event. The reality may be the truth.

Progressive PB in 5km/10km/21km/42km Wheelchair are there. Choose your events that you can be better to qualify. If you are better to be in HM, then go for all HM, 10km or 5km. If you are youthful enough, then go and coach Kids Dash and be an inspiration for them. Cheer them and build a youthful running community.

Upgrade most of the potential local events to IAAF Road Race Label. Already Great Eastern Women's Half Marathon is SA-IAAF Road Race sanctioned. Just up the Label to Gold. Perhaps, it is about time GE Women's Half Marathon can open to non-gender based participants (selective), since SCSM:WMM Qualifier to proof will be easier to verify who can and cannot be selected.

Certain run events are meant for Community and Non-competitive, and SCSM once started from the reason for mess running. We call them "grassroot running events". As ambassadors of SCSM:WMM qualifiers, please lah, don't go to these "grassroot running events" and gate crash their events and win at all cost lah. Maybe, run with "one-legged" disadvantage lah, win community top 3 as though you must always be the champions...Give chance lah. not an entitlement for your personal PB. If you want to PB, run SCSM or any sanctioned race.

If event is a non-sanctioned unlike SCSM or Great Eastern Women's Run, FB in consideration is always not accurate because the route is never right, and the event participants are never meant to qualify, so minus the element of competition. These event runners just want to have "community run" spirit. So don't push them to say, "Run lah, don't walk lah, keep left if slow lah....by the way, international traffic convention many be different in China (like US and Taiwan) slow is to keep right, so don't complain of your own entitlement. Your PB is affected not why the runners "block" your way, it is because, every runner has their "rights of way", slow or otherwise, the race is not for your SCSM:WMM, it is not a PB event for them, so please lah, don't bark at them, and say, "Don't you know how to run?" "Don't you know what is keep left?". Hope these runners show you middle finger 🖕, and we know that is directed to you personally...and you deserve to be one of a kind.

Yes, reflect on ourselves, as runners, when we comment what is our interests, isn't we talking about our entitlements. When your point a finger at someone, four fingers curled and point back to you of what you shouldn't do.

Let there be peace on Earth....are you doing something for sustainability for every race...if not yet, then channel into what runner yet to do....Care for Everybody on Running Course. Did we do this in scsm 2019...mmm..not really.

Let us not be a Polluter for the running community as well as for the non-running community with our shower of criticism for an event that has disrupted and hurt them unintentionally. Let us remain an open channel of communication (as a community - event host, authority and ourselves) to bridge that one day, everything will be better and improved.

Let's doze any fire that may spark another misunderstanding. Sometimes, it is best to Let It Go ("Frozen 1" theme). Well, we have Frozen 2

Some Things Never Change - It may be  our passion to run, but we may have overdone to have disrupt others because of our passion to run. Be mindful and consideration for others, that include your family and friends, because when you take away your time to run passionately, they also may also need you to be with them for many reasons - love and bonding. Remember, every action you take, one finger points forward, four fingers curled and point to yourself what you didn't do.

This the time and spirit of giving - thanksgiving and christmas and happy new year.

SCSM annual event  is held whether closer to December on 1st week of December, is always after Thanksgiving which is always the last Thursday of Every November. Some Things Never Change. 

So be sensitive and considerate to others for other communities, for they start their festive season always before SCSM. They too have the right to celebrate their annual celebrations with their love ones, just like Ours - Some Things Never Change.

Let there be Peace and Happiness be with All (Our Families and Friends) here and that include our Partners who are from the non-running community who are also entitled to their social and bonding with their Families and Friends. :)

Let It Go Some Things Never Change.

Edited by kohpapa