lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

25 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

1. Take early lunch at around 11AM, then take early dinner at around 4:30PM, go home at 5PM, arrive at home at 6PM, rest a little bit, take some water and snack, and do warm up, then start running at 7PM... you can run until 9:30PM/10PM. After sunset, it will be cooler and cooler.

2. I'm not a morning person but I don't mind to run in the early morning, actually I ran in lots of mornings in this Oct and Nov to follow my training plan, because¬†I really couldn't find time slot in some busy evening. However, there are two factors which affect my morning run: (a).Temperature/Sunshine. It's still ok, right after sunrise at 7AM, but after 9AM - human BBQ! Hence sometimes I had to get up at 4:30AM/5AM and did LSD.¬† (b).evacuate stomach... this is the most¬†annoying/worrying thing for me, not only during the training but also during the race. Sometimes you have already waken up, but you are not able to wake up your intestine¬†and don't even know when it wakes up. Then suddenly you realize that it starts working, but you are already on the race!!! I had this experience for several times, it feels like: "Currently I'm running, but suddenly I'm about to give birth..."¬†ūüė§ūüė§ūüė§ūüíĒūüíĒūüíĒ

---------- That's the reason why I prefer evening run, which makes me feel safer...

Thank you @ZZIZZ for your sharing, and keep up with your progressive PBs in all your runs (preferably evening ones)

37 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

This is Runnersword World's Best Marathons: https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a29429048/worlds-best-marathons/ (Extracted) Yes, there is a Major from WMM in the list: guess who? 

00153a7de3300aaff46.jpg

0023925437f84598487.jpg

00378ac64ed8bed2b01.jpg

004da47edec26de0662.jpg

005214e1279dad14e8d.jpg

006fec4c3b5705c2f06.jpg

0075e4c8de209fc3e5e.jpg

0083c29c4d5bc1084fe.jpg

0094b86b829cebc4058.jpg

010357ef8303556742b.jpg

01119234491d27f2261.jpg

012db10f4cecfad46d3.jpg

0134ccbe8946d8774a8.jpg

014afd03510e367d70d.jpg

0154b34396ba137ff41.jpg

Runners world is an American and European centric magazine. They have very little content on Asia. Which is a pity. 

13 hours ago, 77james said:

This year SCSM was really one of the best compare to previous year. Changing to evening race reduce the morning heat.

Ample of toilets along the way. Water and isotonic drinks are enough. Recycle bin at finishing. Medal engraving similar to last year but this 2 year have the biggest medal unlike many years back, quality can i improve abit. 

Think with WMM target, should be able to achieve based on this improvement. 

I don’t see the point of traffic jam. Most of my Friend driving have noted abt the road closure and have alternate ways. 

Maybe a lot of runners dunno abt this WMM. But other than gold label race this will bring Singapore up. Maybe we will need to ballot in future as  a 7 star finisher, ppl are looking forward..

opps not sure if u all know I am talking abt. Cause a lot of them do not know abt marathon major.

well done. Keep it up 

Traffic jam also complain. so the scsm should cancel for the driver to let them have a smooth weekend shopping. If u scare of jam, don’t drive since the marathon is announce way ahead even with road sign along the way. Most likely the driver are either not updated on the news or can’t understand English 

I think most Singaporeans who complained across social media never read the road closure news or LTA didnt broadcast more thoroughly. 

Either way, they aint very supportive of such races and only cared about own interests. 

Take a look at major cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong , Seoul, NYC, London who hold races in the heart of the cities and you'll get the idea.

Either way, most likely Ironman will still continue to hold the race in the evening.

1 hour ago, yh90 said:

I think most Singaporeans who complained across social media never read the road closure news or LTA didnt broadcast more thoroughly. 

Either way, they aint very supportive of such races and only cared about own interests. 

Take a look at major cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong , Seoul, NYC, London who hold races in the heart of the cities and you'll get the idea.

Either way, most likely Ironman will still continue to hold the race in the evening.

My maiden post after completing my maiden FM last Saturday.

The main difference between cities like Tokyo, NYC, London etc is in the mentality of the non-running community. To them, their own city marathon is a big thing. Most if not all will support the event and will go line the streets to support and cheer the runners even if none of their close friends and family are running. They really respect the marathon runners and holds them in high regards.

Here in Singapore, when I told them I will be running my first marathon at almost 51 years of age, the majority of the responses I got was "You siao ah","You got nothing better to do is it?","You mean your life is so boring that you rather spend 5-6 hours of your life running on the streets", and the famous "Why you so stupid go pay to run?".

And I cannot really blame them because I was like that back then until I took up running as a form of exercise last year. It was then that I started to notice and took part in all these running events in Singapore this year. In fact, I remember clearly last year in a shopping mall when I saw many people wearing the SCSM 2018 Finisher tee. Then I realised that that morning was the SCSM 2018 marathon. And somehow I made a goal on the spot that I will wear that Finisher tee next year.

So I am sure many people have seen the news and banners on the road closure. But when they see it's for a running event, they will go "meh. Not my problem". Then when they are stuck in the jam, they will blame it on other people, which is typical of us,

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Slow Runner said:

And I cannot really blame them because I was like that back then until I took up running as a form of exercise last year. It was then that I started to notice and took part in all these running events in Singapore this year. In fact, I remember clearly last year in a shopping mall when I saw many people wearing the SCSM 2018 Finisher tee. Then I realised that that morning was the SCSM 2018 marathon. And somehow I made a goal on the spot that I will wear that Finisher tee next year.

An¬†inspiring story¬†ūüĎŹūüĎŹ¬†Congratulations.¬†ūüĎćūüĎć

1 hour ago, Slow Runner said:

The main difference between cities like Tokyo, NYC, London etc is in the mentality of the non-running community. To them, their own city marathon is a big thing. Most if not all will support the event and will go line the streets to support and cheer the runners even if none of their close friends and family are running. They really respect the marathon runners and holds them in high regards.

Here in Singapore, when I told them I will be running my first marathon at almost 51 years of age, the majority of the responses I got was "You siao ah","You got nothing better to do is it?","You mean your life is so boring that you rather spend 5-6 hours of your life running on the streets", and the famous "Why you so stupid go pay to run?".

You sum it all well!

13 hours ago, kohpapa said:

This is Runnersword World's Best Marathons: https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a29429048/worlds-best-marathons/ (Extracted) Yes, there is a Major from WMM in the list: guess who? 

I am just going to take these "best" marathons with a pinch of salt because:

1) I will not be  able to afford to go run in them anyway,
2) There are runs in Asia that are just as scenic and well-organized, which are in my growing "list of runs to go for before I die".

So I am sure many people have seen the news and banners on the road closure. But when they see it's for a running event, they will go "meh. Not my problem". Then when they are stuck in the jam, they will blame it on other people, which is typical of us,

Nice that you worked hard and achieved your goal.... happy for you man.....

So how does it feel to wear your finisher shirt out on Sunday... Will you be back next year?

35 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

An¬†inspiring story¬†ūüĎŹūüĎŹ¬†Congratulations.¬†ūüĎćūüĎć

I think my wife story is more inspiring. I manage to psycho her on my crazy idea and rope her in to run the FM, which is also her first.

Two weeks before the race, she felt intense pain in her knee which carried over into the race. But somehow she still manage to complete the FM by just staying ahead of the sweeper squad. Must really salute her.

Yes, we shall be singing national anthem for start of every SCSM from now onwards. Already started for 2019.

New Versions (2)

This unique version will bring tears to the community, reflections of how we have come so far, aham, SCSM over the decades, we are joining the WMM, pleeze lah, we must stay harmony as One. Integrate with the SCSM runners lah!

This one, is classical, powderful.

Hope this will mend "the non-running community" and "the running community" patriots in spirit and harmony.

Yes, we shall make SCSM to the top 3 World Best Marathon, not only in Asia, America, USA, Europe and the rest of the World.

As a critieria for consideration to be top World Marathon site, we must all qualify as 4:00:00 average as well as not too much traffic congestion with proper planning. Environmental concerns like Sustainability (Carbon footprints) is also a criteria. Yes, notice there is "eatable cup made of corn" mentioned in the Runner's World World's Best Marathons. Maybe medals also can be "made chewable", not need to worry about rust.

We are very proud of the achievements so far, so move on 2020 and 2021. We just have to "build" bridges (better communications) and sharing of what others' concerns (yes, respecting others for their issues are like one of us - we are families after all).

As a last option, we could revert to Day run and of course, Sunday, and Padang which has always have the biggest venue for all events including NDP. We can start from Multiple Sites - Sentosa, Orchard, F1 Pit, West Coast Highway, ECP, Marina Barrage since we have runner's feedback, why do we have to come together, and jam the route.

Everyone will retain their Qualifier to Proof for the rightful Pen Entry. Maybe some here may start from Pen A.

Happy holiday season ahead, and may all running to be committed in 2020, stay progressive in your FB and share here.

Cheers. End

Edited by kohpapa
13 minutes ago, Slow Runner said:

I think my wife story is more inspiring. I manage to psycho her on my crazy idea and rope her in to run the FM, which is also her first.

Two weeks before the race, she felt intense pain in her knee which carried over into the race. But somehow she still manage to complete the FM by just staying ahead of the sweeper squad. Must really salute her.

Well done to you and your wife!

All marathoners have iron will.¬†ūüí™ūüí™ūüí™

5 hours ago, yh90 said:

I second you, YH. One of my friends participated marathon in Tokyo, Berlin, New York and so on, he came to join SCSM on last weekend, to share his comments here:

1. He was surprised that the number of spectators is not as many as he expected, he stayed at hotel at Bras Basah, but he didn't see many advertising banners hung on the street, some people even didn't know what's happening although it's close to the race venue. 

2. Due to the race route, the spectators are not able to watch the race closely in some area, for example: WCH, Marina Barrage, the atmosphere is very peaceful, not "high" at all, it feels like a trail race.

Just to add my "belated advice":

1. Will it be better if the race route is designed to be in the downtown area and close to the MRT line/MRT stations? Of course the road closure will bring some inconvenience, but since MRT is nearby, the public can take it easily. This will attract more spectators and It's also better than blocking the heavy vehicles/bus from the high way and let them jam into the narrow road.

2. Looking at the weather in this week, will it be better if the race can be scheduled on the coming weekend - Dec7/8, or even the mid of December? I think it will be cooler.

Edited by ZZIZZ
17 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Thank you for your sharing, @77james, we weigh both the pros and cons, and we accept and respect others for criticism as well as compliments (mainly from the SCSM runners - unfortunately none from those who know nothing about the WMM).

Yes, now we have an honour to be in WWM -  SCSM is 3rd World's Worst Marathon.

Worst: Let down by the city’s air pollution levels, hot climate, slow average finish time and lack of medical aid along the course.

Let's us reflect what's the making of The world’s best marathons (extract from https://thesolesupplier.co.uk/news/up-for-a-challenge-these-are-the-worlds-best-marathon-courses/)

best-marathons.png

Criteria:

1. low starting entry fee
  2. favourable altitude (8 metres above sea level) - why the best overall
  3. an average temperature of 12.3¬įC, which according to experts, is only 1.8¬įC higher than the ideal running temperation¬†of 10.5 ¬įC.
  4. a perfect 10 for its number of toilet stations (43) and you have a low risk of getting soaked too
  5. an impressive average finish time of 4:00:01, thanks to its favourable environmental conditions

This studies of 3rd worst marathon of scsm is based on a set of criteria set by them. 

Low starting fees - Singapore definitely can’t be cheap. IAAF gold label race... maybe Malaysia non AIMS certified course will be cheaper. Like Johor marathon etc...

altitude. Running up the mbs bridge yearly. Sure will exceed. But this course is aims certified and gold label race. Cannot anyhow change one... want to change need to ask them measure again. 

Ave time... 4hrs Singapore weather will affect the runner average... 

all this are set of criteria they set themselves.. cheap fees, good running time. Flat until cannot flat.. can go inside stadium. Each round 400m. 42.125km. Pls run there flat and accurate. 

Singapore marathon is consider a tough run. Not worst run.. why tough. Weather plus the elevation will definitely not be easy. Just based on Berlin marathon and Singapore marathon time differences for top runner can tell. 

Both are marathon..how come since a big difference in timing. 

Can I set my own criteria and say which is best and worst... lol

• Like 1

The scsm is only held 2 days, few hours over 365 days per year with partial lane closure  and the driver start to complain. 

Not full closure of the road. So hongkong protester blocking the whole road and whole traffic have to stop or divert... they need more to complain. Stuck. Plus MTR sometime also stop... 

those gg to msia at JB custom jam for many hours over the weekend also never complain so much like u all. 

if u think this few hour of jam u cannot tahan. I got a few suggestions 

1. There is this transport call MRT in Singapore not affected by the run.

2. Don’t drive. Ride bicycle on pavement to city  

3. Walk or run to city not affected by road closure. Pavement not jam. 

4. Use yr Handphone apps and open yr eyes see properly what road is partially close and siam that road. Got money use car don’t tell me no smart phone to download apps to tell traffic condition. 

- Dedicated to the driver who complain for the marathon which cause the jam. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Slow Runner said:

Hello fellow veteran runner.  i also 51 when running SCSM 2019. 

I'm just a newbie runner, but I wanna weigh in.

I do sympathise with those who had their weddings disrupted.

As for those who are suggesting that marathon runners do laps in stadiums, or at Tuas, or have multiple starting locations, I think that they just aren't runners.

Marathons and other races help to promote the sport of running. Of course, not every marathon participant train and run regularly, and those that do are not guaranteed to continue their training. Some may even suggest that marathon running and training is not healthy.

But what other sports are available to Singaporeans? Racquet sports require a court or hall, and there are only so many badminton halls, tennis courts in Singapore. Basketball and soccer also share the same requirement, on top of requiring more participants to play.

Gym memberships are either costly with crowded gyms, or affordable and extremely crowded.

Running has its own share of issues. It is expensive, especially if you are running high mileage. Running routes are also often interrupted by traffic junctions. It requires long hours. Runners are often injured by running.

But let me ask you: is it possible for 50,000 badminton players to simultaneously play? Or tennis players/basketball players/soccer players? 

But why do we even have to hold a sporting event?

Well, that's because we want to promote and publicise healthy living, active lifestyles, and sports. 

Singaporeans may either choose to be fat, lazy slobs, and sit in their cars creating traffic, or embrace a national environment and attitude which promotes an active and healthy lifestyle. 

The marathon/half-marathon/... routes may be revised to minimise impact on traffic, but it still needs to cover distance in a busy area in the city for the publicity.

I do think that it should not be an evening run. I am an evening runner, and I do think that an evening run will allow runners to rest well before the run, which is absolutely good. But after the run, the runners will finish near midnight, and they will head home because everywhere is closed near midnight. This deprives runners of the opportunity to enrich the nearby retail and F&B outlets XDXD. I am unsure of the logistics of a race. It may also be difficult for runners to eat and drink at these F&B outlets while they are sweaty (and possibly smelly). I do not know (and highly doubt) if runners may shower after the race. However, it is quite common to hear of participants in overseas marathon races to have a cold drink and a bite after the race. 

Make no mistakes here. No matter the problems runners have to deal with, such as second-hand smoke while running along the sidewalks, to being held up at traffic junctions, to congested sidewalks, to expensive and frequent purchases of shoes, running is still the most democratisable sport. And shunning races and marathons kill this sport. We should do our best to minimise impact on traffic, while continuing to achieve the objective: to promote and celebrate healthy and active lifestyles. 

As for those who insist on complaining, we do not have to please everybody. They can continue to complain. I do not understand why we must please them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, beast said:

I am just going to take these "best" marathons with a pinch of salt because:

1) I will not be  able to afford to go run in them anyway,
2) There are runs in Asia that are just as scenic and well-organized, which are in my growing "list of runs to go for before I die".

Agree with @beast. Best is subjective to each individual and these "best marathons listed are going to do big damage to our pockets. So we need to plan in advance and budget for these events if we decide to do so.

My view is that one hasn't finish exploring the Asia region running events, it is a pity since there are quality running events waiting to be discovered.

Nice to see also the veteran/new runners trying their first full marathon here and good effort to you people! Before I forget, @topkek93 mentioned some good points and it is more of a compromise to make the event enjoyable/bearable for both event participants and the public.

Edited by trailblazer
1 hour ago, 77james said:

The scsm is only held 2 days, few hours over 365 days per year with partial lane closure  and the driver start to complain. 

Not full closure of the road. So hongkong protester blocking the whole road and whole traffic have to stop or divert... they need more to complain. Stuck. Plus MTR sometime also stop... 

those gg to msia at JB custom jam for many hours over the weekend also never complain so much like u all. 

if u think this few hour of jam u cannot tahan. I got a few suggestions 

1. There is this transport call MRT in Singapore not affected by the run.

2. Don’t drive. Ride bicycle on pavement to city  

3. Walk or run to city not affected by road closure. Pavement not jam. 

4. Use yr Handphone apps and open yr eyes see properly what road is partially close and siam that road. Got money use car don’t tell me no smart phone to download apps to tell traffic condition. 

- Dedicated to the driver who complain for the marathon which cause the jam. 

Power & Hi^5 @77james

Well said directing those CryBabiesCry & SpoiltBrats who condemned+criticized about scms2019.

Btw, I'm ALL UP (101%) for 6pm marathon SCMS2020 *FingersToesCroxxed*

No doubt last Saturday FM was humid, just like what I shared with Bro@ZZIZZ,

Last Saturday at every 1stAid-Booths had ready prepared tied plasticbags filled with icecubes. Bite small portion 1side at bottom,held upside down, rest against both side necks , on face, forehead ,armpits (onwards against on wherever of body) in no time icecubes melt alittle, turn plasticbag(bottom with hole downwards) hold plasticbag above on top your head let icy water flow on to your head ,which will cont flow downwards forehead ,face ,neck , chest, back ,tummy. No doubt vest/tee bottoms socks be wet, boh piang already soaked with perspiration. Important to bring down body temperature.

Just my 2cents. Here's [my attachment]  my comparisons distance I clocked  using my FR910,NikeRunClub(HP app) & weloop(china watch)IMG_20191205_142922.thumb.jpg.7eb98a735f07b957800d68292f6c99db.jpg

4 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

I second you, YH. One of my friends participated marathon in Tokyo, Berlin, New York and so on, he came to join SCSM on last weekend, to share his comments here:

1. He was surprised that the number of spectators is not as many as he expected, he stayed at hotel at Bras Basah, but he didn't see many advertising banners hung on the street, some people even didn't know what's happening although it's close to the race venue. 

2. Due to the race route, the spectators are not able to watch the race closely in some area, for example: WCH, Marina Barrage, the atmosphere is very peaceful, not "high" at all, it feels like a trail race.

Just to add my "belated advice":

1. Will it be better if the race route is designed to be in the downtown area and close to the MRT line/MRT stations? Of course the road closure will bring some inconvenience, but since MRT is nearby, the public can take it easily. This will attract more spectators and It's also better than blocking the heavy vehicles/bus from the high way and let them jam into the narrow road.

2. Looking at the weather in this week, will it be better if the race can be scheduled on the coming weekend - Dec7/8, or even the mid of December? I think it will be cooler.

You go Gold Coast Airport Marathon, which has a smaller population than singapore, also have a better supporters and atmosphere.