lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

With regards to travel....found Cycling faster to get around. Then if want a bit of aircon - foldy bike to get on the public transport 

Next year, if 1st Sunday, then 4th to 6th Dec 2020
Unlikely to have Black Friday shopping crowd.
If authorities make sure nothing major goes on at Gardens by the Bay, Suntec, Stadium, maybe that will help ? ;)

Another complaint in ST yesterday:

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-on-the-web/forum-stanchart-marathon-road-closures-could-have-been-better-handled

The Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 took place for the first time in the evening on Saturday.

I hope that there will be better measures put in place if this is not the last evening race.

With the marathon came the inevitable road closures. The road closures extended from West Coast Highway all the way to East Coast Parkway, with many roads closed around the Central Business District and city centre - a much larger scale than the Formula 1 car-racing event or National Day.

The impact of the road closures was hard to miss as the roads were closed during the peak hours of the day from 2pm to night time. There were massive jams over eight hours in the Telok Blangah and Lavender areas as a result of a large volume of traffic being redirected.

Traffic in Orchard Road was heavy, more likely arising from the diversion of traffic around the City Hall area than because of the ongoing Black Friday retail sales.

Had any due consideration been given before allowing the closures of so many roads during the day?

Did the businesses in the city centre suffer during one of the busiest retail weekends of the year, Black Friday weekend, due to the closures?

Did the organisers consider the scale of the impact on other road users and road public transportation?

Could there have been other options, for example, closing fewer roads in the city centre, or for getting motorists to avoid the closures, instead of being stuck in massive traffic jams?

While the number of race participants was said to be around 50,000, I am sure far more people were impacted by the jams.

I hope the organisers can reflect on the experience and do better next year, or better yet, revert to a morning race.

Vivian Kang

26 minutes ago, beast said:

Another complaint in ST yesterday:

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-on-the-web/forum-stanchart-marathon-road-closures-could-have-been-better-handled

The Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 took place for the first time in the evening on Saturday.

I hope that there will be better measures put in place if this is not the last evening race.

With the marathon came the inevitable road closures. The road closures extended from West Coast Highway all the way to East Coast Parkway, with many roads closed around the Central Business District and city centre - a much larger scale than the Formula 1 car-racing event or National Day.

The impact of the road closures was hard to miss as the roads were closed during the peak hours of the day from 2pm to night time. There were massive jams over eight hours in the Telok Blangah and Lavender areas as a result of a large volume of traffic being redirected.

Traffic in Orchard Road was heavy, more likely arising from the diversion of traffic around the City Hall area than because of the ongoing Black Friday retail sales.

Had any due consideration been given before allowing the closures of so many roads during the day?

Did the businesses in the city centre suffer during one of the busiest retail weekends of the year, Black Friday weekend, due to the closures?

Did the organisers consider the scale of the impact on other road users and road public transportation?

Could there have been other options, for example, closing fewer roads in the city centre, or for getting motorists to avoid the closures, instead of being stuck in massive traffic jams?

While the number of race participants was said to be around 50,000, I am sure far more people were impacted by the jams.

I hope the organisers can reflect on the experience and do better next year, or better yet, revert to a morning race.

Vivian Kang

Asked so many questions and my only question to her .... do you use your brain to think?

1 hour ago, stalky79 said:

Asked so many questions and my only question to her .... do you use your brain to think?

We should always treat others with respect. Her concerns are worth pondering. Let uncle "offers" a memory lane on how and what SCSM once was and when there was no complains. In fact, most here will remember how we once do SCSM :)

We start early morning from 2 different locations. FMers at Orchard. HMers at Sentosa. 10km, Wheelchair Participants later. Lastly Kids Dash. Both latter Categories were once held at Esplanande.

ECP was always more than 20km. There was plenty of open space (boring for most). But, the sea breeze, yes crowd gather for BBQ or sleeping overnight not knowing it the sun rises. Yes the sun rises only in the east, not set in the west. Good morning Singapore, we are running the Singapore Marathon. Yes, live telecast. As usually who watches anyway, who cares about TV broadcast. Must be the Race Organiser and those that want "something" else.

ECP to Construction route again. Arriving at Marina Barrage again. Back to Gardens by the Bay again. Wah to The "heartbreak" bridge again. Yo, the HMers at 37km are here. Both HMer and FMers always meet 39-40. Ok, the 5kmers and 10kmers also join in - what a human "congregation" of passionate runners.  Come on, "move on", cheered at the final 150m, even the Tower Clock sometimes charm the "Gong Gong Gong Gong". We reach the finishing point - Padang - the most historic site and always the home of SCSM. Even the St Andrews Church which stood nearby, reminding some who are religious, "remember to gives thanks and better go to church after run, brothers and sisters, it's time to be holy".

At Padang, friends and family members await there. Are pets allowed? Oh well, pets are welcome there also. Ok, can we lie down and rest and recover. Sure, you can do anything you want, stay as long as you can. We are not expected "move out" and "exit".

Ok, time to go. MRT is there. Shoppers took pictures of us. Most runners can join the shopping. Of course, food is abundance.

The traffic did not honk at us. They really know what and why we do every first Sunday of every December in the late morning. We just completed either Kids Dash, 5km, 10km, wheelchair, HM and FM race and celebrations. Yes, a silly ritual for the runners - we completed a holy grail in our annual running event for the year.

Padang, can we be embraced by you again? No, because of the WWM..or WMWWhatheFever. Yes, why not, it is just a Sunday run for Singapore on every 1st Sunday of every December. Everyone knows that, and there has not been any complaint. Isn't that nice to have?

orchard.jpg  sentosa.jpg

esplanade.jpg  padang0832c019f38d6157.jpg

How do we receive so much complains this year??? do you use your brain to think Ironman Asia???

Edited by kohpapa
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, beast said:

I guess I belong to the minority who actually enjoy the evening run more than the morning run.

Agree that the weather is humid but feel that it is still manageable, especially with the generous hydration points I didn't really feel dehydrated at all. I remembered Sundown's humidity conditions being worse at the wee hours of the day.  Also, I didn't forget the punishing hot sun (especially after 9am onwards during my last stretch of FM) that I always had problems managing in the past editions of SCSM.  The humidity is certainly a lesser evil of the 2 to deal with. Fatigue is also a lesser issue as I had enough rest the night before, compared to the day SCSM where I usually don't have much sleep due to adrenaline rush.

Judging from the response I hear and read all around, it seems that going back to the day run next year is very likely. Regardless of which edition they move forward from here, these are the major issues which I feel Ironman still need to make efforts to tackle (but  doubtful that they will do it):

- Communication: Every year there are always complains on the road closures leading to the inconvenience of the vast public who are not race participants. Remember the Chinatown folks that the press reported 2 years ago that the road closures led to their businesses being affected? The issue I feel lies with insufficient communication to the public about the road closures and how they will ultimately be affected. When F1 first started the public was also pissed with how the road closures had inconvenient them, but as the years go by people just get used to it and know what to expect when F1 season comes. More announcements regarding the road closures can be done and further amplified by the media, and done earlier as well. Unfortunately, this is on the race organizer and without government body support this will always remain as an issue.

- Transportation: Train services must be available. Singapore is probably the only "major" marathon that doesn't offer train services in countries where train transportation is readily available. Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong....they  all have free if not discounted train rides to send runners to and fro to the race site. Ironman really needs to work with SMRT to extend the train services, even at the expense of their profits.

- Atmosphere: While we do see some improvements in the provision of entertainment and crowd suppor talong the route, the 2nd part of FM is still pretty much dead with pretty much nothing to motivate the runners. Race village is also a graveyard with only the tiring bodies of runners - a stage with some entertainment will be very much welcomed. If the race village needs time and space to prepare for the next morning's run, there should be 

- Flag off/ race route: Is Singapore the only  The crowd streaming in from 5pm is horrible due to the 21km and 42km runners flagging off at the same time. Thankfully the security checks, baggage deposit and toilets were efficient enough and did not hold up the runners too long. Both the distances should have their own separate flag off times and routes to alleviate the massive jam. Miss the times where each distance had their own starting point and route. 

Nevertheless, Ironman does really put in efforts every year to try and improve the race experience. This year there is more entertainment along the route, hydration had the Water-Isotonic-Water arrangement which prevents overcrowding of runners trying to get hydration, and better distance markers. Hope they are able to resolve the other pressing issues of the run and make it a run that us runners can be proud of.

Many good pointers, actually Ironman still can continue on an evening run, provided some improvements must be made.

1)There should be some collaboration with LTA, SMRT to do some extension of train service, i am not telling Ironman to make it 24 hours for trains but at least extent the train service until 2am at least? As i had earlier mentioned, the bulk of the runners will take 4hour-5/6hours plus to complete the marathon, upon finishing the marathon, its midnight, and all train/bus service had ended, many runners or tourist-runners will be stranded in the center of the city, with 50,000 runners, Taxi is almost impossible to get, Grap service no driver will entertain u. Yes, they have this Share-transport bus, but there is a need to wait, after a gruesome marathon, nobody wants to wait, everyone wants to go home immediately and not everyone lives near the MRT too! U want world marathon series, u have to think of the Logistic side also. Tourist runners dun drive? How they go home? 

2) Next, start the race earlier! 6pm to me is a bit late, Yes, u want to make it an evening race, but look back pointer one, if they push the start time at 5pm, bulk of the runners still can get the last train home, i know some will say there will be evening sun blah blah blah, but how long or strong can the evening sun last ? at most 6pm+ its sunset. And ok, after 7pm-8pm its also an "evening run". And in addition to this, starting earlier definitely less humid...

3)Do not put 42km and 21km runners to start at the same time, to me, totally no logic, they should have put 21km start at 5pm, then full marathon runners to start at 6pm? the 21km runners will have 1hr head-start and zoom far far and giving room for 42km runners to run, thus freeing up congestion. 

4)To me, all the road closure complaints are crap lah, one year one time, can't they compromise? Think about it....Really one year that one time!!! Not one year few times, Comm'on man!! 

Which reminds me. I recalled I read somewhere the evening run is supposed to end with fireworks. Where’s the fireworks?  Too late and they decided not to have?

3 hours ago, kohpapa said:

We should always treat others with respect. Her concerns are worth pondering. Let uncle "offers" a memory lane on how and what SCSM once was and when there was no complains. In fact, most here will remember how we once do SCSM :)

We start early morning from 2 different locations. FMers at Orchard. HMers at Sentosa. 10km, Wheelchair Participants later. Lastly Kids Dash. Both latter Categories were once held at Esplanande.

ECP was always more than 20km. There was plenty of open space (boring for most). But, the sea breeze, yes crowd gather for BBQ or sleeping overnight not knowing it the sun rises. Yes the sun rises only in the east, not set in the west. Good morning Singapore, we are running the Singapore Marathon. Yes, live telecast. As usually who watches anyway, who cares about TV broadcast. Must be the Race Organiser and those that want "something" else.

ECP to Construction route again. Arriving at Marina Barrage again. Back to Gardens by the Bay again. Wah to The "heartbreak" bridge again. Yo, the HMers at 37km are here. Both HMer and FMers always meet 39-40. Ok, the 5kmers and 10kmers also join in - what a human "congregation" of passionate runners.  Come on, "move on", cheered at the final 150m, even the Tower Clock sometimes charm the "Gong Gong Gong Gong". We reach the finishing point - Padang - the most historic site and always the home of SCSM. Even the St Andrews Church which stood nearby, reminding some who are religious, "remember to gives thanks and better go to church after run, brothers and sisters, it's time to be holy".

At Padang, friends and family members await there. Are pets allowed? Oh well, pets are welcome there also. Ok, can we lie down and rest and recover. Sure, you can do anything you want, stay as long as you can. We are not expected "move out" and "exit".

Ok, time to go. MRT is there. Shoppers took pictures of us. Most runners can join the shopping. Of course, food is abundance.

The traffic did not honk at us. They really know what and why we do every first Sunday of every December in the late morning. We just completed either Kids Dash, 5km, 10km, wheelchair, HM and FM race and celebrations. Yes, a silly ritual for the runners - we completed a holy grail in our annual running event for the year.

Padang, can we be embraced by you again? No, because of the WWM..or WMWWhatheFever. Yes, why not, it is just a Sunday run for Singapore on every 1st Sunday of every December. Everyone knows that, and there has not been any complaint. Isn't that nice to have?

Yup I missed the days where we had 3 flag off venues for different categories. Plus taking the train at 3am. And the end point at Padang is full of life.

32 minutes ago, AdiZero said:

Many good pointers, actually Ironman still can continue on an evening run, provided some improvements must be made.

1)There should be some collaboration with LTA, SMRT to do some extension of train service, i am not telling Ironman to make it 24 hours for trains but at least extent the train service until 2am at least? As i had earlier mentioned, the bulk of the runners will take 4hour-5/6hours plus to complete the marathon, upon finishing the marathon, its midnight, and all train/bus service had ended, many runners or tourist-runners will be stranded in the center of the city, with 50,000 runners, Taxi is almost impossible to get, Grap service no driver will entertain u. Yes, they have this Share-transport bus, but there is a need to wait, after a gruesome marathon, nobody wants to wait, everyone wants to go home immediately and not everyone lives near the MRT too! U want world marathon series, u have to think of the Logistic side also. Tourist runners dun drive? How they go home? 

2) Next, start the race earlier! 6pm to me is a bit late, Yes, u want to make it an evening race, but look back pointer one, if they push the start time at 5pm, bulk of the runners still can get the last train home, i know some will say there will be evening sun blah blah blah, but how long or strong can the evening sun last ? at most 6pm+ its sunset. And ok, after 7pm-8pm its also an "evening run". And in addition to this, starting earlier definitely less humid...

3)Do not put 42km and 21km runners to start at the same time, to me, totally no logic, they should have put 21km start at 5pm, then full marathon runners to start at 6pm? the 21km runners will have 1hr head-start and zoom far far and giving room for 42km runners to run, thus freeing up congestion. 

4)To me, all the road closure complaints are crap lah, one year one time, can't they compromise? Think about it....Really one year that one time!!! Not one year few times, Comm'on man!! 

If they are planning to use the same routes for 21km and 42km, 1 hour difference is not enough. The 42km elite runners will reach the 18km split at about 1 hour later, meaning they will meet with the bulk of the 21km runners. Same if you flag of 42km first, the 21km front runners will have to zig zag in between the 42km walkers.

Best solution is still to have 2 different routes and start points like what we do previously.

(4) - Singaporeans will always care for their own interests first. Be it F1 or SCSM, there will always be people complaining about the road closures. Very disheartening actually. 

18 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Which reminds me. I recalled I read somewhere the evening run is supposed to end with fireworks. Where’s the fireworks?  Too late and they decided not to have?

Oh yah hor.... where are the fireworks sia....haha... 

4 hours ago, stalky79 said:

Actually even FM radio...I feel that this time alot of ppl find SCM evening to be a nuisance and all the negativity from e general public... 

I also think it is better to revert back to morning race instead to prevent all these bad publicity..

2 hours ago, delldell314 said:

Actually even FM radio...I feel that this time alot of ppl find SCM evening to be a nuisance and all the negativity from e general public... 

I also think it is better to revert back to morning race instead to prevent all these bad publicity..

Unlike F1 night race,  the spectators pay a premium to watch world-class drivers in laps.

In SCSM, even if it is free for viewing, the general public felt "inconvenient" by the disruption of their personal space, entitlement to their social activities.

What if we revert back to a Sunday morning race? Did we receive any major complain or feedback for Sunday morning races over the years? Nope. Why now? Because it is an evening run format for 50,000 over 3-day running festival. The worst is this is a Saturday FM and HM evening run, not Sunday anymore.

Edited by kohpapa

To be honest, it is very disruptive on e road closure esp on a sat evening time. Ran past M hotel at tanjong pagar. Saw a wedding taking plc at 2nd level. Wonder how they managed e logistics

Now that kohpapa mentioned, i vaguely remember e good old days when all event happened on e same day! Just that it was a super boring ECP run... all e way aft ski-park and beyond. But i love e ending route to padang. U can see e ending pt from afar and best part was -  do not have to keep on walking and walking to collect this and that! And mrt is not far away. Except if it rained e day before, e field will be muddy? 

Anyone saw photographers uploading running pix online?

1 hour ago, Pearlina said:

To be honest, it is very disruptive on e road closure esp on a sat evening time. Ran past M hotel at tanjong pagar. Saw a wedding taking plc at 2nd level. Wonder how they managed e logistics

Now that kohpapa mentioned, i vaguely remember e good old days when all event happened on e same day! Just that it was a super boring ECP run... all e way aft ski-park and beyond. But i love e ending route to padang. U can see e ending pt from afar and best part was -  do not have to keep on walking and walking to collect this and that! And mrt is not far away. Except if it rained e day before, e field will be muddy? 

Anyone saw photographers uploading running pix online?

Yes, Uncle saw photographers uploading running pix online, since, uncle got Free. How do you feel to have your shots taken in the evening? flashy!

Edited by kohpapa

Well, let us end this episode of what will be expected of SCSM 2020 and 2021.

why1.jpg

why2.jpg

The desire to have Singapore Marathon joining the ranks of the World Marathons Majors have been chartered. We need to meet the stringent criteria, meaning evening run will be the format from 2019 onwards.

Well, if someone would ask uncle why you run SCSM? "for WMM period." We just make up the numbers as qualifiers.

Let's move on. Thank you for your sharing. End.

Edited by kohpapa

8 hours ago, stalky79 said:

If I don't like it, I can give you thousands of reasons why I don't like it.

If I like it, I can't tell you why... but magically I just like it!!! 

🤣🤣🤣

I did my first SCSM HM in 2017. Flagged off at Orchard. I had thought that location was unique and I must say I am lucky that I took part. Not sure if there will be another race starting off there.

The only other race that will rival in terms of scale will be the Army Half Marathon Run, which ends in Padang. This is really the only race I look forward to in 2020. And as NSmen, super affordable too.

7 hours ago, starfinder said:

I did my first SCSM HM in 2017. Flagged off at Orchard. I had thought that location was unique and I must say I am lucky that I took part. Not sure if there will be another race starting off there.

The only other race that will rival in terms of scale will be the Army Half Marathon Run, which ends in Padang. This is really the only race I look forward to in 2020. And as NSmen, super affordable too.

Uncle is afraid that for the sake of WMM (period) and everyone must be a Qualifier (no longer be a recreational/tourist runner), Orchard Flagged off will be in the past (archived in SCSM memory lanes).

Whether the public likes it or does not like it (road closures and complains that future SCSM is distruptive), we are destined to adopt F1 shall be the home for evening SCSM:WMM (First Saturday Evening of Every or almost December - exceptional for 2019). 

So, a reminder to the public. If you want to prepare to have something important events (except RIP), please bear with us First Saturday Evening of Every or almost December, Singapore Marathon (WMM) is in progress. Also 1pm onwards of the Friday (3-day event hor), road closures begin at Marina Bay for Kids Dash 700m. Don't say we don't warn you all. We appreciate your kind attention 😀

Army Half Marathon Run - if you want to be considered as competitive, then get yourself sanctioned with IAAF Road Run label.  Firstly, it will definitely prepares soldier runners be toughened and to compete. Secondly, don't encourage those that are not fit types to "walk" and cause human traffic. Thirdly, don't simply give FREE lah to those who have not even taken part in any running events.

If Army soldiers really cannot run Half Marathon, then have them run Soldier Dash 700m or 2.5KM/5KM category at nearby Stadiums or IPPT centres.

Please lah, separate the Can Do from Just Want to have Fun. Invite only best from other countries like US Marines, SEAL, US Army or SEA Military Best to compete, just like SCSM aka SCSM:WMM.

Remember: The public and ex-NSmen here all got chong SCSM-WMM (Qualifier to proof). If Army really cannot produce credible Qualifier runners in your Run, then downgrade yourself to NCC (National Cadet Corp) Run😶.

Public paid above premium to take part. Even ladies with SCSM-WMM caliber can make soldiers look like they should not have been born Male baby boys...haha 

Edited by kohpapa

9 hours ago, starfinder said:

True that Orchsad startline is unique especially with the Christmas deco....

6 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

True that Orchsad startline is unique especially with the Christmas deco....

Yes. I quite like the orchard start. First stretch is down slope and can see many people pee into the bushes at the first corner at the istana park. 

Edited by wonderfulblevic

27 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Yes. I quite like the orchard start. First stretch is down slope and can see many people pee into the bushes at the first corner at the istana park. 

Somehow this time there is no one peeing ah... haaa...

3 hours ago, kohpapa said:

Army Half Marathon Run - if you want to be considered as competitive, then get yourself sanctioned with IAAF Road Run label.  Firstly, it will definitely prepares soldier runners be toughened and to compete. Secondly, don't encourage those that are not fit types to "walk" and cause human traffic. Thirdly, don't simply give FREE lah to those who have not even taken part in any running events.

Wah Uncle, seems you have 'something' against the performance of army boys in this race 😅

I must admit I got high expectations of our boys when I first ran 10 km in this race back in 2017. But was very disappointed when I saw there were so many 'walkers'. There also not many groups of 'unit runs' together. Fair to say I recalled fond memories where I first ran Sheares Bridge Run as an NSF. So I skipped 2018. But on hindsight, our boys are trained on 'speed', not so much on long distance run. So I think it is still acceptable bah...

52 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

Somehow this time there is no one peeing ah... haaa...

I still see a few who do it. You probably miss it because you are in an earlier pen.

Since moving to F1 pit building, they were able to increase the number of portal toilets before the start of the run, and it is way more than the pathetic numbers at that Angsana car park.

Which brings me to an interesting point - in the past your blog is always, for some reason, very concerned about the number of portal toilets at the starting point. But your recent race reviews t think you no longer cover that already... Why hah? No urge to pee before a run anymore?

25 minutes ago, beast said:

Singapore Marathon organiser Ironman says it can do better

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/ironman-says-it-can-do-better

Marathon organiser sorry for woes but says return to morning start is 'last thing we want'

Seems like they will be sticking to the evening race format as far as they can help it..................

i rather they stick to morning run..

no more SCSM FM for me for 2020, will go either kobe or osaka for 2020

24 minutes ago, beast said:

Singapore Marathon organiser Ironman says it can do better

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/ironman-says-it-can-do-better

Marathon organiser sorry for woes but says return to morning start is 'last thing we want'

Seems like they will be sticking to the evening race format as far as they can help it..................

Future runners doing SCMS should target for completion instead of PB timings.

Not sure if anyone is aware of the 500 bento boxes for the volunteers incident?

See the web link at  https://mothership.sg/2019/12/standard-chartered-marathon-bento-waste/

Yeah - know about it from others. It’s great it’s been highlighted as food waste is a big issue in every event including smaller events like weddings. You will be horrified with the food waste from bakeries, conferences etc

35 minutes ago, trailblazer said:

Future runners doing SCMS should target for completion instead of PB timings.

Not sure if anyone is aware of the 500 bento boxes for the volunteers incident?

See the web link at  https://mothership.sg/2019/12/standard-chartered-marathon-bento-waste/