lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

I guess I belong to the minority who actually enjoy the evening run more than the morning run.

Agree that the weather is humid but feel that it is still manageable, especially with the generous hydration points I didn't really feel dehydrated at all. I remembered Sundown's humidity conditions being worse at the wee hours of the day.  Also, I didn't forget the punishing hot sun (especially after 9am onwards during my last stretch of FM) that I always had problems managing in the past editions of SCSM.  The humidity is certainly a lesser evil of the 2 to deal with. Fatigue is also a lesser issue as I had enough rest the night before, compared to the day SCSM where I usually don't have much sleep due to adrenaline rush.

Judging from the response I hear and read all around, it seems that going back to the day run next year is very likely. Regardless of which edition they move forward from here, these are the major issues which I feel Ironman still need to make efforts to tackle (but  doubtful that they will do it):

- Communication: Every year there are always complains on the road closures leading to the inconvenience of the vast public who are not race participants. Remember the Chinatown folks that the press reported 2 years ago that the road closures led to their businesses being affected? The issue I feel lies with insufficient communication to the public about the road closures and how they will ultimately be affected. When F1 first started the public was also pissed with how the road closures had inconvenient them, but as the years go by people just get used to it and know what to expect when F1 season comes. More announcements regarding the road closures can be done and further amplified by the media, and done earlier as well. Unfortunately, this is on the race organizer and without government body support this will always remain as an issue.

- Transportation: Train services must be available. Singapore is probably the only "major" marathon that doesn't offer train services in countries where train transportation is readily available. Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong....they  all have free if not discounted train rides to send runners to and fro to the race site. Ironman really needs to work with SMRT to extend the train services, even at the expense of their profits.

- Atmosphere: While we do see some improvements in the provision of entertainment and crowd suppor talong the route, the 2nd part of FM is still pretty much dead with pretty much nothing to motivate the runners. Race village is also a graveyard with only the tiring bodies of runners - a stage with some entertainment will be very much welcomed. If the race village needs time and space to prepare for the next morning's run, there should be 

- Flag off/ race route: Is Singapore the only  The crowd streaming in from 5pm is horrible due to the 21km and 42km runners flagging off at the same time. Thankfully the security checks, baggage deposit and toilets were efficient enough and did not hold up the runners too long. Both the distances should have their own separate flag off times and routes to alleviate the massive jam. Miss the times where each distance had their own starting point and route. 

Nevertheless, Ironman does really put in efforts every year to try and improve the race experience. This year there is more entertainment along the route, hydration had the Water-Isotonic-Water arrangement which prevents overcrowding of runners trying to get hydration, and better distance markers. Hope they are able to resolve the other pressing issues of the run and make it a run that us runners can be proud of.

28 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Anybody's GPS managed to tracked the distance properly?  My Fenix 3HR tracked 45km - same problem as last year.

I wonder if there is any GPS watch can track the distance correctly in city areas.

Most of the GPS readings I saw tracked around 43km. Didn't see any readings below 43km. Your 45km is also abnormal.

But didn't the organizer get a Jones Counter to calculate the distance? Didn't expect the run to be any less accurate than 43km but seems like everyone ran 1km+ more.

Edited by beast

1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I was afraid of rain and actually brought a Brolly with me in my baggage. If it rains,  legs tired wanna run also cannot. Only choice is take out umbrella and slowly walk and look cool. Haha

😂🤣

BTW apparently Sharon Tan ran over the finishing line with her cup in her hand!

It is normal and expected that we got inaccurate distance from our GPS device... Why? because the race route passed through Raffles Place/CBD area for two times, these tall buildings affect the satellite's signal and contribute the signal interference and cause the inaccuracy of distance.

Here comes to the question --- How the organizer measure the distance? Of course not using GPS.... The traditional measurement is much more reliable and accurate.

https://www.justrunlah.com/2014/08/10/how-are-long-distance-race-courses-and-marathons-measured/ 

https://aims-worldrunning.org/measurement/MeasurementOfRoadRaceCourses.pdf

No doubt, we have to trust the organizer, as SCSM is IAAF GOLD Label road race, the distance measurement matters. 🤗

1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Anyone knows the number of FM runners for each category? Checked the provisional results and they only provided placing but not the total number of participants for each category. 

I managed to access the page quite early and the numbers shown are as follows, they removed it subsequently

Total:10244

male: 8137

18 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

😂🤣

BTW apparently Sharon Tan ran over the finishing line with her cup in her hand!

Yes. You can go facebook rewatch the live screening. Can clearly see she’s holding a cup in her hand. 

Agree with you @beast the communications has to be better. LTA needs to communicate that much earlier as they knew the event date long time ago. Perhaps there should be an app to monitor when large events are going to take place especially in the stadium or affecting road closures. I can also imagine that residents who are not fans of U2 complaining of the noise, etc. Cannot find a list of large events that the government would know about anywhere!

1 minute ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Yes. You can go facebook rewatch the live screening. Can clearly see she’s holding a cup in her hand. 

cool - can share the link :D

Just now, wonderfulblevic said:

Thanks. Power right?

@Lady Ice your ambassador is right there. “If a champion can do it, why not me?”

Truly she is - she needs to be on the sustainability page for SCSM next year.... - the ghost page which has been promised to me for the last 2 years!

21 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

Truly she is - she needs to be on the sustainability page for SCSM next year.... - the ghost page which has been promised to me for the last 2 years!

Maybe she’s a secret member of the forum here..😃

It would be amazing if she said she saw our volunteers at the 4km aid station holding a sign. Did any of you see them?

image.png.194a390f7a7a530c7bb49c535ff10937.png

Edited by Lady Ice

5 hours ago, medic said:

Fenix all generations seems to have issue with GPS signal in town

Yep.  Was thinking of moving to Suunto 5.

But I am in the Civil Service and today’s announcement has just stopped me from my purchase.

All the complaints and rants on road closures . The organiser should take those feedback seriously if they want to continue the evening race in future

2 hours ago, yh90 said:

Hmm. Interesting.

2019-12-02_22.55.29.jpg

“No intention of making any accusation” but in my view he’s implying something though. Otherwise why would he make statement 2 and the comment at the end? Hope and investigation can be carried out so all can be clarified and rectified if need be. 

Anyway I can’t find the replies you posted to his post anymore. He deleted them?

I dont really get this latest episode with the “singapore elites” thing. What’s the issue?

This year SCSM was really one of the best compare to previous year. Changing to evening race reduce the morning heat.

Ample of toilets along the way. Water and isotonic drinks are enough. Recycle bin at finishing. Medal engraving similar to last year but this 2 year have the biggest medal unlike many years back, quality can i improve abit. 

Think with WMM target, should be able to achieve based on this improvement. 

I don’t see the point of traffic jam. Most of my Friend driving have noted abt the road closure and have alternate ways. 

Maybe a lot of runners dunno abt this WMM. But other than gold label race this will bring Singapore up. Maybe we will need to ballot in future as  a 7 star finisher, ppl are looking forward..

opps not sure if u all know I am talking abt. Cause a lot of them do not know abt marathon major.

well done. Keep it up 

4 hours ago, Ender said:

How did F1 race handle evening road closure on a supposedly busy weekends? 

Why is the Singapore Grand Prix held at night? The main reason for holding the Singapore Grand Prix at night was so an Asian race could be broadcast at lunchtime in the UK. As the race is held on a street circuit, it could be properly illuminated during the evening, with demand for tickets remaining high16 Sep 2018, Sam Street, The Sun (UK)

Race length‎: ‎308.706 km (191.821 mi)    Laps‎: ‎61
Circuit length‎: ‎5.063 km (3.146 mi)

Previous editions of the SCSM, first held in 1982 as the Singapore Marathon. We have known that the 1st Sunday of every December is Marathon/Half Marathon run/10km/5km/Kids Dash. This year's Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) is a special one, for it will be the first in the event's history to be held in the evening (a Saturday evening). Kids Dash on Friday Evening and 5/10km on Sunday.

st_report.jpg

What if SCSM were to change a format that will not ire the scorns of the non-running community.

1. Change site - away from Downtown
2. Change time - why not stick to Morning (less of everything)
3. Change date - why not just stick to Sunday
4. Change route - why not just do laps

Best site that everyone surely will know, ECP, will be the ideal location to have 16km and 32km running concurrently.

Another alternative site has been Marina Barrage to Tenah Merah Coast to Change Village (30km). Ironically, we returned to once to where Sundown Marathon Evening/Midnight Race at Changi Aviation Park.

Marina Barrage to Changi Village to Pasir Ris - Bedok Reservoir  (50km). If many Sundown Ultramarathoners who still remembered, that was our 100km route. 2 Laps of 50km

At least we still have a worst option from a really cynical critic, "Why don't you guys run at the Lim Chu Kang - Cemeteries!"

cemetery

finisherpix_3600_257301.jpg

So, when will the pen opening time to report? am or pm?

Edited by kohpapa

54 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

Why is the Singapore Grand Prix held at night? The main reason for holding the Singapore Grand Prix at night was so an Asian race could be broadcast at lunchtime in the UK. As the race is held on a street circuit, it could be properly illuminated during the evening, with demand for tickets remaining high16 Sep 2018, Sam Street, The Sun (UK)

Race length‎: ‎308.706 km (191.821 mi)    Laps‎: ‎61
Circuit length‎: ‎5.063 km (3.146 mi)

Previous editions of the SCSM, first held in 1982 as the Singapore Marathon. We have known that the 1st Sunday of every December is Marathon/Half Marathon run/10km/5km/Kids Dash. This year's Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM) is a special one, for it will be the first in the event's history to be held in the evening (a Saturday evening). Kids Dash on Friday Evening and 5/10km on Sunday.

st_report.jpg

What if SCSM were to change a format that will not ire the scorns of the non-running community.

1. Change site - away from Downtown
2. Change time - why not stick to Morning (less of everything)
3. Change date - why not just stick to Sunday
4. Change route - why not just do laps

Best site that everyone surely will know, ECP, will be the ideal location to have 16km and 32km running concurrently.

Another alternative site has been Marina Barrage to Tenah Merah Coast to Change Village (30km). Ironically, we returned to once to where Sundown Marathon Evening/Midnight Race at Changi Aviation Park.

Marina Barrage to Changi Village to Pasir Ris - Bedok Reservoir  (50km). If many Sundown Ultramarathoners who still remembered, that was our 100km route. 2 Laps of 50km

At least we still have a worst option from a really cynical critic, "Why don't you guys run at the Lim Chu Kang - Cemeteries!"

cemetery

finisherpix_3600_257301.jpg

So, when will the pen opening time to report? am or pm?

My money would be on evening race again. With more fine tuning to traffic arrangements. 

SCSM is an IAAF-sanctioned race. Route change is decided not by Ironman Asia, by the Rules of IAAF Road Race.

single-site.png

multiple-site.png

It will be interesting that in the SCSM, the host has actually no control of the route (as plotted and sanctioned by IAAF), cut-off time (LTA decides, sometimes for emergency purpose, they can override of Rules of Road Closing and Opening). It can be weather that pose danger to Runners, LTA can act swiftly on their advice to the Host and Sactioned Body IAAF.

The host provides all the security force (either engage CISCO or their manpower whom we call the Road Marshalls), the logistics force (3rd party to set up road blocks and later dismantle those blocks for road opening), the medical (yes, is there a Doctor at all times during the race, the medical first aiders in their motorbikes), the hydration points (for Elites, must be "seen" to make sure no special "illegal enhancer inside the bottle to boost unfair advantage, of course top runners and random check for doping test - last year one of our local woman marathoner was "caught" and was stripped off the title)

caught.png

So, to have Soh Rui Yong (IAAF Elite Runner) to evidence that "why my bottles are missing" or even if  "left opened" are deemed as suspiciously "tempered with", and to show that Soh was evidenced that he didn't consume even if offered by kind spectators. Otherwise, Soh will breach IAAF Elite Runner's professional etiquette, and he surely be disqualified. Everything is based of IAAF Road Run Rules for Elites. Yes, there is a need for investigation why such an incident happened of missing bottles at Elites Table at Hydration Points (5km/15km.) A complaint can be launched to the Road Race Director (IAAF) within 30 mins after race. The attention will be directly to monaco-based IAAF.

Uncle, having performed IAAF Official duties in previous SCSM editions, the handling of Elites Bottles are with strictest security. They have to collected before the race from the Elites early, bottle caps sealed, and this important ritual is always assigned to the Ghukas IAAF Officials (ranking of officer and senior warren officer) who later be charged to deploy to the Elite Tables. So, that is not SA Manager task. If Soh will have a tough issue with SA Manager, then SA Manager can reply "Soh, I don't know and don't care why your bottles are missing". Please be careful what you say about SA meddling with your SCSM ok.

Hope, if Soh is reading uncle's sharing - Don't rush into a "quick" guess who would have done it? SA Elite Runners? mmm don't anyhow speculate. Conduct a proper investigation. 

Edited by kohpapa