lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

Definitely morning race for me... 

not sure why but my evening / night timing compared to day run the difference is VERY BIG... 

no more scsm for me next year, looking at Kobe or Osaka 

41 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

Definitely morning race for me... 

not sure why but my evening / night timing compared to day run the difference is VERY BIG... 

no more scsm for me next year, looking at Kobe or Osaka 

Morning run for me too.  I never felt so drained after 21km.  The humidity was too much.

I should be going for Chicago 2020, which is on 11 Oct 2020.  After 2 weeks rest,  I don't think I can clock sufficient the mileage to get a good run for SCSM.  To qualify for the 300km club, I don't have to run a FM, right?

Edited by Madmax

I have never run a day FM before. But comparing my HM results between day and night, my day HM results are better and I tend to find it more energetic to run in the early morning. Not sure if it is also because just wake up from sleep so have more energy to run?

Also, I have a problem during night runs, as I found my eyesight can't accustomed to seeing and running under dark conditions. Felt demotivated and wanted to just stop aside for a sleep! This is why during the training leading up to the FM, I started off running around 4 pm instead of 6 pm. I felt more motivated to run when seeing crowds of people around me doing their activities!

My main grouse on this SCSM, is that it  is like a yearly picnic run where friends, couples, recreational runners are all turning out in full for this event.

I had seen many runners' BIB with results and Pen that didn't really tally. Many had unabashedly put themselves in Pen B, C just so that there will be less human jam after flag off.

The same flag off time for both HM and FM is making it worse. Human jam can be seen all the way until the break off point for HM and FM.

It is very difficult and tiring for non elite serious runner to run. Abbott WMM or not, I will not pay to run in SCSM anymore. Unless, like kohpapa, I am given a free bib, to join in the walk.

55 minutes ago, starfinder said:

I have never run a day FM before. But comparing my HM results between day and night, my day HM results are better and I tend to find it more energetic to run in the early morning. Not sure if it is also because just wake up from sleep so have more energy to run?

Also, I have a problem during night runs, as I found my eyesight can't accustomed to seeing and running under dark conditions. Felt demotivated and wanted to just stop aside for a sleep! This is why during the training leading up to the FM, I started off running around 4 pm instead of 6 pm. I felt more motivated to run when seeing crowds of people around me doing their activities!

Hi if u wish to experience spectators cheering kinda of marathon, u won't experience it in Sg... the nearest race which u can feel tat is KL marathon. Based on my experience,  spectators' supportive action in Taiwan and Australia are superb..

Nevertheless congrat to your first finishing!!.

Edited by delldell314

16 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Hope everyone is recovering well from the first evening race in SCSM history. I have summed up my race review in my blog post below and hope that everyone can immense yourself in what you had went through almost 24hours ago. Imagine yourself toeing the start line now and waiting patiently for the horn to sound at the start line.

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2019/

Good write-up!! keep it up!

To me this is one of the worst Standard Chart i ever participated !

Firstly starting the marathon at 6 plus feels exactly like Sundown, (Sundown = when the skys are dark and the humility level is damn high), it makes running extremely difficult. Tell me, what different it is SCM and Sundown? Both skys are dark and feels extremely humid and unpleasant to run. Except SCM has the shorter version of Darkness, u see some evening lights and sunset and thats it. Never mind...to many its ok with an evening run. (Lets move on) 

The start time for FM at 6pm is not helping at all, most runners will take 4-5 or 6hours complete, plus some delays in the different waves flag off, it will drag at least 5hour-6hours, end up its like close to mid-night. Mid-night means what? No MRT service, no Bus service and trap in the center of city.

The nightmare starts exactly after race completion, there is totally no taxi, Tried to use Grap but no way the app is able to find any driver. End up have to walk to Bugis! Worst still nothing, no taxi, no cab. Imagine running 42km and walking an hour, its close to dying...

Bloody Ironman organizer should have thought have this! Yes, u have that share-transport bus thing on-going, but not everyone lives near the MRT and not everyone wants to wait for a bus. After a gruesome 42km, people are willing to take a Taxi home, shower and sleep immediately. Think about the average completion time of runners, most runners will end up finishing at 12-2am, and its in the middle of the night in a place with no taxi or Grap!

Sundown is different, u end the marathon at 5am plus, train service operations are in operation. in fact first train is still possible to wait...

An extremely disappointed runner................No way they can enter what World marathon series with such poor logistic planning

16 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Hope everyone is recovering well from the first evening race in SCSM history. I have summed up my race review in my blog post below and hope that everyone can immense yourself in what you had went through almost 24hours ago. Imagine yourself toeing the start line now and waiting patiently for the horn to sound at the start line.

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2019/

congrats on completion and sub 5 timing...

59 minutes ago, delldell314 said:

Hi if u wish to experience spectators cheering kinda of marathon, u won't experience it in Sg... the nearest race which u can feel tat is KL marathon. Based on my experience,  spectators' supportive action in Taiwan and Australia are superb..

Nevertheless congrat to your first finishing!!.

Hi Thanks!

I will not be considering overseas FM yet as my poor timing will not make it to the more stringent cut-off time in overseas race. Is happy just to have done it in SG. 😄

41 minutes ago, AdiZero said:

Guys why nobody talk about how to go home after the Marathon? Was it a nightmare ??

I finished late. By that time most of the runners already went back! So I was lucky to be able to hail a taxi near the front junction bus stop.

Thank you @AutumnRunner really appreciate that you held the cup for me and the several thousand behind you. I did notice some large green bins positioned about 100m after the last hydration table on the ground vs those on the bridge. @prisangel somehow I never noticed the put your litter in the bin signs along the course so good to know there were some. @ayukawa22 - these are good suggestions - there were some cleaners along the course. Although never saw any litter by the mile markers, that could probably work if the hydration points are moved to some distance between the mile markers.

@kohpapa - cupless might come in the future. Am working with Geneva and Nice-Cannes to ensure they are able to cater properly for the different speeds of runners so watch this space ;)  Each have 20+ thousand runners for their marathon event day.

@wonderfulblevic - me and several thousand are very grateful for you to hold onto the dirty banana. It was one less banana to mush on. Unfortunately we had no control of what happened along the runners' goodies funnel. Had noticed there were some "recycling" bins and noticed they did not match what was handed out.

The image below were the recycle points that we were provided at the event village itself. Would have liked the signage to be above the holes especially when everyone sat right in front of the signage but had no control on the way this was created. Never mind - next year!

We also removed a lot of the large bin containers that the event normally likes to supply and veolia put some normal green bins around the event village which received quite a bit of the different categories of rubbish. So we lost the banana skins, cans, and bottles to the incinerators.

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

We collected about a tonne of banana skins, several tonnes of cans went to an RC to recycle and earn funds for the community and the bottle caps were salvaged from the bottles to go to the Dutch school who will shred and mould the caps into . Unfortunately the "art schools" who wanted the bottles would not come to collect them - so they will end up in the incinerators as currently there is no market for the bottles. We did ask a couple of recyclers to have the bottles, but they both said we would have to pay them despite saying we would give them a pure bottle - we would remove the labels - which is part of the contamination issue. The bottle has 3 types of plastic - cap, bottle and label!!!

We also collected several kgs of towels that folk did not want (F&N think you should take them home and use them!!!) - which will go to an animal home. 

The shoes (about 20+ pairs) & t-shirts (about 50 t-shirts) we collected from the expo have now been donated to the organisation "Its Raining Rain Coats" who will hand them out to our growing migrant workers.

For the food waste - -will see what we can do about that next year - as this can go to the farms.

Trialed e-goody bags with Nice-Cannes and that would require you to go to the sponsor's booth or shop for their discount vouchers. Those who knew about it were happy to not have to dispose of all the crap have been receiving....of course those who were not reading their email notifications missed out as they were unaware.  Also will see if I can push them towards a "zero waste runner package" with a discount :) 

Whaddya think about e-goody bags next year? As well as a "zero waste runner package" - where you simply receive your bib number and have an optional medal + e-certificate + optionally take the food and hydration at the end? - You would still have an e-goody bag + receive a discount?

Edited by Lady Ice

Also this year - tried to ensure the Veolia and Green Nudge teams were working more collaboratively on the day. The Veolia guys we worked with have signed up to be volunteers with us!!!

Image may contain: 20 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

1 hour ago, AdiZero said:

Guys why nobody talk about how to go home after the Marathon? Was it a nightmare ??

I already anticipated.  Fortunately, I got a car and I parked at Suntec.  Cost me $3.90 in parking fees.

I did wonder how those without cars get home.

For me, I found the logistic from Ironman was alright. Toilets, baggage, hydration, fueling, meets or exceed expectation. Only thing not in favor is the uncontrollable,i.e the weather. The expected cool night after a rain didn't happened and it was humid. But from memory, last year morning run, the heat and humidity are as bad, some kenyan runners DNF last year if I a not wrong.

So I am either fine with morning or evening run. But preference is evening, since most of my training runs are in the morning. I PB by 4 minutes from last year, but didn't meet my target for a sub 4:30.

One more unfavorable, is how many Pen C starts walking so early in the stage, something like 5 km plus.  After I  the u-turn at West coast and East Coast and running back, I saw so many Pen C and some B at the opposite direction. Hope Iron Man can better manage these better. 

1 hour ago, AdiZero said:

To me this is one of the worst Standard Chart i ever participated !

Firstly starting the marathon at 6 plus feels exactly like Sundown, (Sundown = when the skys are dark and the humility level is damn high), it makes running extremely difficult. Tell me, what different it is SCM and Sundown? Both skys are dark and feels extremely humid and unpleasant to run. Except SCM has the shorter version of Darkness, u see some evening lights and sunset and thats it. Never mind...to many its ok with an evening run. (Lets move on) 

The start time for FM at 6pm is not helping at all, most runners will take 4-5 or 6hours complete, plus some delays in the different waves flag off, it will drag at least 5hour-6hours, end up its like close to mid-night. Mid-night means what? No MRT service, no Bus service and trap in the center of city.

The nightmare starts exactly after race completion, there is totally no taxi, Tried to use Grap but no way the app is able to find any driver. End up have to walk to Bugis! Worst still nothing, no taxi, no cab. Imagine running 42km and walking an hour, its close to dying...

Bloody Ironman organizer should have thought have this! Yes, u have that share-transport bus thing on-going, but not everyone lives near the MRT and not everyone wants to wait for a bus. After a gruesome 42km, people are willing to take a Taxi home, shower and sleep immediately. Think about the average completion time of runners, most runners will end up finishing at 12-2am, and its in the middle of the night in a place with no taxi or Grap!

Sundown is different, u end the marathon at 5am plus, train service operations are in operation. in fact first train is still possible to wait...

An extremely disappointed runner................No way they can enter what World marathon series with such poor logistic planning

Although travel to morning race is also won't as be convenient... but i will prefera morning race as it is will easy to travel after the race when we are in our fatigue state. 

I also won't consider SCM next year too if it is going to be an another evening race... 

In additions, the road closure for this evening race actually cause quite a small uproar /complaint from non-interested group... With negative media coverage... not sure if will also affect the AWMM qualification...

For all FYI, i just discover that there is a Johor Marathon at Nov 2020.. Instead of dealing with the congestion and increasing fee... i think it is worth just cross over the cause way to enjoy a short holiday around legoland where Johor Marathon  happen. It is a morning race too.. Plus point!

Edited by delldell314

Also find it difficult to attend this event again if the amount and volume of waste is not decreased. Due to the increased number of vendors etc, am sure the amount of waste will have increased to over 2 double-decker loads of waste. :( The limiting space on Semakau Landfill is an issue with now a count down of 10-15 years left and no other landfill except to export our rubbish to somewhere else! Year to year we have been producing more rubbish overall and our recycling is a joke.

The "creating cement out of ash" has been going on for the last 15 years and still inconclusive. Reduced production of crap means less carbon emissions from manufacturing, transportation and handling the waste fall out after. Singapore has declared a Climate Emergency but you wouldn't know it. Along with the 50,000 cleaners that are hired around the island, there are also several more charity groups doing clean ups as well as ploggers along the river, on the beaches, inland etc to reduce the litter escaping and being eaten by our local animals as well as being part of the plastic situation in our oceans. If any of you are ploggers, can you log what you collect here: https://rise-network.sg/  as it helps to build a picture. Here is an analytical map to show what is happening currently from the volunteer groups https://rise-network.sg/rise/cleanup-map/ . Managed to get this going for PHC/NEA only earlier on this year (June) so it is new.

Have tried to play my part to make the event more sustainable for our children's future and the environmental concerns. Can only hope runners, the organisation, vendors and sponsors can play a larger part.  If any of you have suggestions, would be grateful to hear them :)  Feel free to PM me. Let's go beyond just a PB time. Let's make our environment part of our own PBs :D  Be great to hear more stories like @AutumnRunner and @wonderfulblevic about keeping the environment safer for other runners and cleaner so that all can enjoy :D 

Edited by Lady Ice

I did a calculation of my past scsm and sundown races. I perform about 5 mins better faster on average for evening races compared to morning races. Maybe cos I train in the dark (pre dawn hours) or evenings most of the time. 

I agree the post race experience can be improved. Nowhere to sit and rest the poor legs. Can sit on the floor but getting up runs the risk of cramps. In Tokyo marathon, post race you can sit and stone (albeit on the floor) in the air conditioned hall for all you want. Nobody will chase you away. One constant rush for scsm is when it rains. Either pre race or post race, where is the shelter?

Haven’t seen any events with a shelter. New York, Chicago and London do not have shelters at beginning or end and definitely no where for the runners to sit down. The bar that was provided at the post village did have stools and a marquee though would never support the number of runners. Guess all would head there + the massage tent 🥳

At the nice-Cannes marathon this year it stormed with lightning and thunder and there was no shelter. We were all soaking at the start.

Haven’t seen any events with a shelter. New York, Chicago and London do not have shelters at beginning or end and definitely no where for the runners to sit down. The bar that was provided at the post village did have stools and a marquee though would never support the number of runners. Guess all would head there + the massage tent 🥳

At the nice-Cannes marathon this year it stormed with lightning and thunder and there was no shelter. We were all soaking at the start.

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

I was afraid of rain and actually brought a Brolly with me in my baggage. If it rains,  legs tired wanna run also cannot. Only choice is take out umbrella and slowly walk and look cool. Haha

Anyone knows the number of FM runners for each category? Checked the provisional results and they only provided placing but not the total number of participants for each category. 

Anybody's GPS managed to tracked the distance properly?  My Fenix 3HR tracked 45km - same problem as last year.

I wonder if there is any GPS watch can track the distance correctly in city areas.

16 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Anybody's GPS managed to tracked the distance properly?  My Fenix 3HR tracked 45km - same problem as last year.

I wonder if there is any GPS watch can track the distance correctly in city areas.

Garmin 42.69km. GPS went haywire somewhere 7km and 20km mark. 

2 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Garmin 42.69km. GPS went haywire somewhere 7km and 20km mark. 

What model are you wearing?