lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

1 hour ago, starfinder said:

I encountered this prob becos i was amongst the last to come in. Those came in much earlier shouldn't see this bah 

Well, uncle always look on "ground level" of runners' concerns.

Pain and cramps can be look upon as runners' action plans:

1. Time to relook at your running gear (are you running with inappropriate shoe fittings?)

2. Do you have a sound training strategy?

3. Did you follow hydration and nutrition plan and strategy for endurance runs?

As for the runners' safety and welfare, it must the tasks of the Event Organiser. It is late and past midnight. Road closures to F1 are beyond the control of the runners. Runners needs time to rest, recover, and need some form of assistance and consideration having completed a long endurance run. Some needing transportation needs and perhaps it was an emergency needs, need to stay for safety reason. Having to be told to "move on" and "exit" is forcing runners none of the welfare, and safety is for those who need a location of "brightly lit F1" for pickup, not along the side of the "route".  What if it rains?

Also, why the Waterfront Promenade (was it rented for the purpose as Event Village) is always the finishing point and F1 is the collection point. We were told to "move on" for the 500m+.

Maybe next time, we shall call SCSM 43+KM. Move on and Exit. Please don't overstay, you paid and leave lah after collection your entitlements and goodies. In case of rain, please bring your poncho or umbrellas next time for we don't provide any tentage for you. Well, in case we have a raining condition, we are reminded do's and dont's.

Edited by kohpapa

2 hours ago, ayukawa22 said:

Really hate the way the organiser and security Guards whistling and chasing people out of the event village. Simply rude

They probably need to be reminded who is their pay master.

Given the finishing times of the elites, I think it will go back to a morning day race next year.

I hope the 5:15hr pacer who fell out at the Marina Barrage bridge is ok.  He nearly collapsed and was attended to by medics.

9 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

1. Personal First - The weather was not too ideal, very very very humid. Luckily I finished my very first FM with 4:58. 💪

2. Strategy - I'm not a fast runner, even the HM PB in this year is 2:12. So yesterday from the beginning I kept reminding myself to hold the pace and not to run too fast, and managed to keep the pace at 650. In the second half, I wanted to speed up, but I realized that I wasn't able to do so, then just tried very hard to maintain the pace and to avoid dropping it too much. I kept eating the gel and salt tablet all the way, eventually ran them out; then I despairingly ate the gel provided by SCSM (regardless of the bad taste). Luckily I didn't really got muscle cramps, even on the Sheares bridge my pace dropped to 730. So my strategy worked well. 👏

3. The last 10KM - it's really really boring, maybe because I was tired and did never run at this distance. 😅 

4. DNF - After I finished the race, I found that several fast runners that I know got DNF. That's why I said I'm lucky. 🤞

5. Medal - 3 months ago this was the only motivation which made me decide to upgrade to FM. Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the design of medal, when I had the first sight of the medal last night. The illustration shows that the FM medal is solid, no transparent section. However the actual one got transparent material on the both sides of lion. The only difference between last year and this year is just lion facing to right side this year. If I'd known the actual design of this year, probably I wouldn't have upgraded to FM... 😜

6. Preparation - Looking back the preparation that I have done in the past 3 months, it was a great journey. My "self-discipline" improved much, I have been strictly following the plan and time table to complete the training every week. Of course my status also experienced up-and-down, but every time during the training I told myself: don't be lazy, you are depositing "$$" into your account, when the race comes, you will withdraw "$$". More importantly, I'm very happy that I received a lot of suggestions, hints and encouragement from you guys, a big "MANY THANKS" to you all. All the best to everyone. 👍👍👍

Congrats to you... and i am sure u have accomplished something really great... now is the time to rest and recover....

@ZZIZZ congratulations for your first FM. Great also to meet @gentle  @medic @Russ @prisangel at WCH. Had a great couple of sing a longs.... and another runner had an excellent collection of songs to motivate all around. Had wondered if that was you @kohpapa as he had sandals on.

Felt sorry for the barefoot runners as too many runners still dropped their crap on the floor. One guy who was talking to me and dropped his cup on said it didn’t matter. He got a polite earful that it is because everyone thinks it is only their action that it doesn’t matter. It accumulates and- thus the slower runners have to run thrash**!! Noticed veolia keeping some aid stations clean. The cups went to mush along with the plastic liner which will feed the micro-plastic into our water ways.

And again blur runners put their cups on the bridge rails at wch which again went into the storm drains....sigh... was waiting for the rain that never came to wash them into our river and seas

Congratulations to you all for finishing. It’s tough and had nearly the same timing as last year.

This year the end event village was well utilised compared to last year when everyone vacated much earlier due to the heat. Also 5/10km got ice cream, yoghurt drink, yoghurt breakfast. On both days everyone stayed much longer than in previous years and hence made my sustainability team (who were doing guiding you to separate the rubbish) stay much longer. How did you find the sustainability points this year and what could be improved?

Edited by Lady Ice

@ZZIZZ make sure you rehydrate well with a little bit of salt. I try to drink about 2 litres with a bit of electrolyte or vitamin  c the day after. Found it helps the body recover faster.... and then you are ready to run 😀

23 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Given the finishing times of the elites, I think it will go back to a morning day race next year.

I hope the 5:15hr pacer who fell out at the Marina Barrage bridge is ok.  He nearly collapsed and was attended to by medics.

and also the various complains on the massive traffic jams.....

10 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

@ZZIZZ congratulations for your first FM. Great also to meet @gentle  @medic @Russ @prisangel at WCH. Had a great couple of sing a longs.... and another runner had an excellent collection of songs to motivate all around. Had wondered if that was you @kohpapa as he had sandals on.

Felt sorry for the barefoot runners as too many runners still dropped their crap on the floor. One guy who was talking to me and dropped his cup on said it didn’t matter. He got a polite earful that it is because everyone thinks it is only their action that it doesn’t matter. It accumulates and- thus the slower runners have to run thru sh**!! Noticed veolia keeping some aid stations clean. The cups went to mush along with the plastic liner which will feed the micro-plastic into our water ways.

And again blur runners put their cups on the bridge rails at wch which again went into the storm drains....sigh... was waiting for the rain that never came to wash them into our river and seas

Congratulations to you all for finishing. It’s tough and had nearly the same timing as last year.

This year the end event village was well utilised compared to last year when everyone vacated much earlier due to the heat. Also 5/10km got ice cream, yoghurt drink, yoghurt breakfast. On both days everyone stayed much longer than in previous years and hence made my sustainability team (who were doing guiding you to separate the rubbish) stay much longer. How did you find the sustainability points this year and what could be improved?

Kept my promise to use my own cup. I don’t understand why people like to throw the paper cups on the floor when the big bins are just right there. They don’t even bother to throw towards the direction of the bins. That said, noticed the female local winner Sharon Tan carrying a cup in her hand and passing the finishing tape. Kudos. Commentators didn’t pick up on that. She could easily have throw the cup away just like the other elites. 

A kind volunteer pointed out the various uses of the bins when I hesitated in front of them trying to decide where my assorted rubbish should go into. Perhaps instead of segregating by plastic, general waste etc, label the recycling bins in relation to the goodies given out at the finishing chute ie label by using pictures to indicate where the 100plus, banana skins, potato chips bag, beer cans, towels etc should be thrown. Many participants are not locals and this may be more intuitive. Just a suggestion. 

• Like 2

Hope everyone is recovering well from the first evening race in SCSM history. I have summed up my race review in my blog post below and hope that everyone can immense yourself in what you had went through almost 24hours ago. Imagine yourself toeing the start line now and waiting patiently for the horn to sound at the start line.

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/race-review-standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-2019/

1 hour ago, ayukawa22 said:

Road closure complaints : how to satisfy Singaporeans? 

CF5FA466-3E33-4D6A-B57B-BF39A0B9FB1B.png

Actually when i first realize this year SCM is going to be an evening run.. it will be a disastrous event for ppl who not into such event... road closure with jam at  weekend evening in central area when and where there are so many other activities going on..

I wish IM will consider to move the marathon back to sunday dawn time.. when there is minimum activities... 

On the other hand, they are aiming for the AWMM  kind of thingy... they need to achieve certain spectator quota etc.. so they will continue to head on another evening race next year then more complaints will come... so lan lan....

11 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Kept my promise to use my own cup. I don’t understand why people like to throw the paper cups on the floor when the big bins are just right there. They don’t even bother to throw towards the direction of the bins. That said, noticed the female local winner Sharon Tan carrying a cup in her hand and passing the finishing tape. Kudos. Commentators didn’t pick up on that. She could easily have throw the cup away just like the other elites. 

A kind volunteer pointed out the various uses of the bins when I hesitated in front of them trying to decide where my assorted rubbish should go into. Perhaps instead of segregating by plastic, general waste etc, label the recycling bins in relation to the goodies given out at the finishing chute ie label by using pictures to indicate where the 100plus, banana skins, potato chips bag, beer cans, towels etc should be thrown. Many participants are not locals and this may be more intuitive. Just a suggestion. 

@wonderfulblevic thank you so

much. How did you find using your own cup?

15 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I noticed something and it happened to me once. The last table at the entire stretch of the hydration station is very near to the last bin (10m) for runners to throw the cups into. I took a cup of hydration at the start of the hydration station, drank and threw into the bin, but realised that I was still thirsty. So i went to take another cup right at the last table. I gulped it up while running and when I finished the last drop, i noticed that the last bin was 10m behind. The decision then was to hold the cup for the next 2.5km or to quickly dispose it with the many cups after the last bin so that they can be swept together. 

I thought about what @Lady Ice would think and continued to hold the cup till i see a nearby public bin near a bus stop and asked a spectator to help me throw. I think the last bin should be placed further away from the last hydration table.

For Japan races, there were volunteers along the route and they were holding onto garbage bags. Runners will just handover the trash to them for disposal 

IMHO from the runners' point of view, this is one of the better organised StandChart marathons in recent years. Virtually no bottleneck even for slow runners like me!

55 minutes ago, Lady Ice said:

@wonderfulblevic thank you so

much. How did you find using your own cup?

It was easy for me cos the water station usually not crowded when I arrive. But I would imagine when the station gets crowded and volunteers struggle to pour water in time, some may get frustrated with the time wasted. Perhaps another way for such runners to fill up themselves is required. Better still if it’s a faster way- to incentivize people to use their own cups. 

51 minutes ago, AutumnRunner said:

I noticed something and it happened to me once. The last table at the entire stretch of the hydration station is very near to the last bin (10m) for runners to throw the cups into. I took a cup of hydration at the start of the hydration station, drank and threw into the bin, but realised that I was still thirsty. So i went to take another cup right at the last table. I gulped it up while running and when I finished the last drop, i noticed that the last bin was 10m behind. The decision then was to hold the cup for the next 2.5km or to quickly dispose it with the many cups after the last bin so that they can be swept together. 

I thought about what @Lady Ice would think and continued to hold the cup till i see a nearby public bin near a bus stop and asked a spectator to help me throw. I think the last bin should be placed further away from the last hydration table.

The bananas were very ripe and mine split into half and dropped on the road while I was peeling it. Ran back to retrieve the dropped piece. But it was already some distance back to the bin, so I ended up eating my remaining banana with my right hand while holding the dirty half on my left until the next station. Lol. 

52 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

The bananas were very ripe and mine split into half and dropped on the road while I was peeling it. Ran back to retrieve the dropped piece. But it was already some distance back to the bin, so I ended up eating my remaining banana with my right hand while holding the dirty half on my left until the next station. Lol. 

wah.... best...

Uncle contribute this experience on @Lady Ice's sustainability:

Yes, at end point, runners who feast on goodies of snacks and drinks left them on the ground. Saw the cleaning operation crew, trained by crew manager to sort out the followings:

1. If can (isotonic), empty the content 
2. If plastic (water), empty the content
3. If banana peal, do nothing
4. If plastic (packaging), empty the content
5. Yes, there are paper-based tags on every finisher tee, do nothing.

Then they began to dump respective items to different bags which to be later dump to the Bins.

So, uncle offered to help, what should I do DIY for sustainability?

1. Metal Can Bin
2. Plastic Bin 
3. Banana Bin
4. Paper Bin

How about Food container brought from outside or Food Delivery? Tough one.

A separation challenge. Do we first empty the Content of the Plastic Container, rinse the Container clean? How about the paper tissues that comes with "cleaning" and wiping of our mouths. Cups that come with straws? 

Which category of Bins will we want to dump?

Good, Ironman Asia marshalls come and bellow at us and rescue us from the sustainability challenge, "Don't lie here gentlemen, move on and Exit (Out) at least 5km from here." Yes, we are treated like Toxic waste. :)

On race route, paper cups - sort must be empty of content - either of water or isotonic.

Now, the nutrition zone challenge - banana (must agree with most - they are ripened, and uncle nearly have to visit toilet for bowel discharge, but bear with it till finishing point) seen dump with the cup. Yes, gel is contained in plastic. The nutrition counter practically becomes the most unsightly place place and the table becomes a dumping site.

Some said, maybe better like in Japan, let someone handles the separation. For we the runners need to Move On with our race. Ownership of our waste is important, but in a race, how can we manage sustainability is a challenge - cup"less" solution, banana peels, bottles, gel plastics..and those which are personal items like tissues, also seen face masks.

Foreign runners, do they care about sustainability? If SCSM eGuide has nothing on the Dos' and Donts' then there is no need to know.

Uncle must say, @Lady Ice , thanks for the effect to reflect on what are the best options in the next Run. We must be always conscious about the sustainability to Create Green. 

Edited by kohpapa

4 hours ago, delldell314 said:

Actually when i first realize this year SCM is going to be an evening run.. it will be a disastrous event for ppl who not into such event... road closure with jam at  weekend evening in central area when and where there are so many other activities going on..

I wish IM will consider to move the marathon back to sunday dawn time.. when there is minimum activities... 

On the other hand, they are aiming for the AWMM  kind of thingy... they need to achieve certain spectator quota etc.. so they will continue to head on another evening race next year then more complaints will come... so lan lan....

On 9/8/2019 at 7:48 PM, kohpapa said:

Hello everyone, wishing everyone well here.

Notice all have planned and prepared for the maiden evening SCSM 2019. Some shall be taking their first maiden FM also. 

Firstly, uncle shall skip this maiden evening run citing that the condition for this year run especially in terms of logistics (road closures in the evening), as well as it is just like another Sundown event.

Secondly, 2019 is unusually hot and humid, and from experience, whether you choose to run day Marathon or even night Marathon, there will be no difference in the outcome - you will have to face the sweaty, and energy-sapping running because of hot and humid condition. DNF is likely to be mental and psychological barriers that you must overcome - never give up because of the condition. 

Thirdly, compared to running in the day time (which the condition of heat stroke - simply because there is sun in the day time), then what will be likely situation in the evening - cramps. Night time running is running against having proper dinner and if those aspire to meet the more than 6 hours of endured running, energy depletion in the night is higher because you are supposed to have proper sleep in specific hours, even that means you must sleep at midnight. Everyone is used to Day time activities, unless some are used to work in night shifts, then running in the night should be more comfortable than those who have not adapted to "body" works at night.

Surely, uncle would expect preparation for mileage run to increase in the evening hours, and all the SOP of endurance and aerobic (speed work or HIIT) programs. Uncle has many times taken part in Sundown Ultra Runs, and had endured training program say 100km per week starting from 6pm ending well just before midnight or just after. 

What were the experiences? I would share to you, totally challenging. Your body only sleeps from 3am, and you will have to wake up at 10am, and then prepare the body mentally again for 6pm to midnight and after. Sounded uncle is running "night shift" right. Indeed, that is the training program for all Sundown aka SCSM (2019 and beyond).

Pain and cramps suffered with the evening runs are expected, because most of us are Day Shift workers (including bosses) who need to report to work in the morning. We do not have sufficient time to recover from the evening (progressive distance) as what we say, add more mileage as we progress to actual 42km for FM.

Let uncle add that "Rest and recovery. Adequate rest helps prevent injuries and mental burnout.". Actually for those who working in the day time, you need to have even More Adequate rest.

So, what would uncle suggest. "running three-to-five times per week" must be staggered to lesser, to have adequate time to recover from injury (pain is a sign that  inadequate time for recovery from lengthy evening runs).

Shortened runs, yes why 10km, when 8 km is comfortable for your current day life style. Pacing, yes, why quicken when you are already injured. Evening runs are running against breathing more oxygen like fresh morning day, instead, breathing with less oxygen in the evening is like as though you are running in high attitude condition (less oxygen)?

My suggestion to all, run what is comfortable pace, and yes, wait till the SCSM (2019) maiden evening run - uncle already told you, it is not a day run after all, then why are all following a SOP for day run? Hope this is not a bible for run for evening, because the environment is different, you are running with lesser oxygen.

If you want to run like day time with SOP, then run with oxygen tank for evening run, and you will be glad why you should run day marathon like what is supposed to be, marathon should start in early hours, because oxygen is abundant at that hours.

I wish you well. Take uncle's piece of BS experience of Sundown experiences as BS compare to Day Marathon.

How many of you actually run evening qualifying marathons overseas? Because it is never a standard day qualifying marathon race.

Only in SG, we have evening Marathons  - Sundown and now SCSM (2019).  Is there a day Marathon, then go overseas. lol.

Interesting reflection for all, should we run Evening or Day marathon.

Uncle still advocates Day marathon, because it is a norm to run in the Day. The consequences of Evening run, look at everyone's comments, cramps and it is a hard run, which are the challenges.

Of course, the road closures affecting the Evening activities of those are who not interested in anything - running. Resources are spent to enable the event are to make sure Singapore made it to the "AWMM  kind of thingy". Will other non-runners care to know what thingy that AWMM is all about? 

When "when there is minimum activities" meaning what we used to have for day marathon  - even if there is crowd to cheer us compared lots of crowd this time did cheer us. But, there is hardly any left towards the late evening, and mid-night run is as good as there are "ghost" audience.

As for runners, months of training for the evening, are we going to do that till the next race - the other evening run which starts from Midnight Sundown Marathon. Maybe they may change to 6pm. Already, some of us have "boycotted" Sundown Marathon many years ago. We will always benchmark Sundown Marathon with SCSM Marathon. We know who are the winner. Price is no relevance when we expect nothing but the best.

For sure, all of us will revert back to Day Run. The early morning, abundant oxygen, and when the day brightly reverts the mother earth and green, all will be glad to run for the morning.

From the experience as appointed as Road Marshall as official of sanctioned race, we prepare not to deal with Saturday downtown evening crowd. We prefer Sunday morning at parks, or places where there is less traffic - both human and moving vehicles (cars, bikes and mobile devices). Uncle will not want end up as yesterday evening Ironman Asia road marshals having to belt out to public, "Move on, Move out, Exit, hey STOP" to crowds who need to cross and having to wait for hundreds runners to pass first. Yesterday, at VivioCity, constant honking of cars was evidence when we were at WCH route of "We just want to go to Sentosa for an event, and why we can't even we reach the destination on time." "What, for a stupid run?"

Well, as long as we want to  move towards "AWMM  kind of thingy", but we are participating not to having cause too much inconvenience many in the past. So, Evening SCSM 2019 - 2021 is a goal. Prepare to have the Road congestion lan lan - meaning complains again in 2020 and 2021 and beyond....get use to them lah...explain to them how important to be in the AWMM thingy.

Uncle did not train for the evening SCSM simply because it is not an event that is day run and is not important. 2XU Compression Run and even when Army Run returns in 2020, these are day great HM events. Great Eastern Run is a sanctioned run of HM is still a great event for the ladies, surely always receive high rating. Yes, uncle had the opportunity to be an official there. GE Run's Powder Room, why is it so important in the ladies' Event Village? You guess it - you must look good and beautiful lah for the morning run - swee swee run.

Well, as long as a free bib, the experience at maiden evening SCSM 2019 says so much - CompressSports singlet and finishing tee are not as good as Under Armour; Finisher Medal is no difference, only added some glass-like "plastic" to fill the circular medal. Uncle's 2018 finisher medal already "rusted" so getting 2019 one to replace. 

Overall, the rating to SCSM 2019 is high just like Day Marathon. Other than more stressed and rude marshalls this time (actually can't blame them - knowing the reasons why), otherwise, it is just a fine marathon event, coming from those who had said their final words in the last 24 hours after the event. Agreed

If there is a Day Marathon somewhere, why not, go overseas.

Edited by kohpapa

Definitely morning race for me... 

not sure why but my evening / night timing compared to day run the difference is VERY BIG... 

no more scsm for me next year, looking at Kobe or Osaka