lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

A hard fought finish due to food poisoning a few days before, rendering myself unable to carbo load, too much gas in stomach halfway thru until last few km, chiong at 5min pace , crossing the finishing line at 3'49. At least i didnt go down without a fight.

For some reasons, many runners cramped..

Good job. Saw you limping a bit from fatigue near the baggage collection area. Tough race. 

Weather was very humid without any wind. Was hoping it would rain after the start but it didn’t. Adjusted my pace accordingly and managed a time better than I expected given my lack of training. On days like this it’s important to run based on how the body feel rather than stick to race plan. Guess experience and muscle memory helped me in such instance. 

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

A hard fought finish due to food poisoning a few days before, rendering myself unable to carbo load, too much gas in stomach halfway thru until last few km, chiong at 5min pace , crossing the finishing line at 3'49. At least i didnt go down without a fight.

Good job. Saw you limping a bit from fatigue near the baggage collection area. Tough race. 

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

Race review - 

Weather was very very humid without any wind. Was hoping it would rain after the start Or there would be a breeze but it didn’t. Adjusted my pace accordingly and managed a time better than I expected given my lack of training. On days like this it’s important to run based on how the body feels rather than stick rigidly to race plan splits. Slow is fast in the long run (pardon the pun).  Guess experience and muscle memory helped me today. 

Loved the number of portable toilets. Must be more than a hundred at the race village. There were also toilets at each aid station (even on the west coast highway!). The organizers did this one right. Kudos. 

KM markers were where they should be. Helped lots since my gps went bonkers twice at the CBD. 

Number of tiger balm spray points could be increased along the route. And the number of people manning each station. 

Aid station volunteers were very helpful. Took initiative to point out the cold drinks from the room temperature ones. Much appreciated. 

Baggage deposit and collection was spot on. Saw lots of volunteers deployed there. No waiting time for me. 

Slightly more crowd than usual cheering along the route. Could be cos of the evening timing making it possible for family and friends to come out to support (although sheares bridge was still lonely as hell). The grandstands at F1 pit were epic fail, if they were meant for supporters. Not a single soul. The start line is indeed a strange place to put a grandstand. Shouldn’t it be at the end instead? That’s why it’s called a “grandstand finish”?  If anything, it would serve as a place for runners to sit down after a long race. 

Massage was quite efficient. Long queue but waited about 15 mins only.  Wished that there is a separate queue for marathoners though. Some could barely stand. I saw one who literally crawled in the queue. Had a good chuckle over that. Totally empathize. I was in such a situation before. 

There was non alcoholic beer being offered at the end point but was too tired to take. The Lays chips was heavenly though. 

Hated the roundabout way of getting to Promenade station. Understand there are still runners running hence the detour. But my poor legs...Lucky the escalators were working. 

Saw an ambulance speeding by around 17km mark. Glad everyone gave way. Also saw more than usual drop outs along the roadside. Hope everyone is safe. 

p.s. my friend waited for 1.30 ShareTransport bus and the driver turned up at 2am! Atrocious. 
Edited by wonderfulblevic
  • Like 1

1. Personal First - The weather was not too ideal, very very very humid. Luckily I finished my very first FM with 4:58. 💪

2. Strategy - I'm not a fast runner, even the HM PB in this year is 2:12. So yesterday from the beginning I kept reminding myself to hold the pace and not to run too fast, and managed to keep the pace at 650. In the second half, I wanted to speed up, but I realized that I wasn't able to do so, then just tried very hard to maintain the pace and to avoid dropping it too much. I kept eating the gel and salt tablet all the way, eventually ran them out; then I despairingly ate the gel provided by SCSM (regardless of the bad taste). Luckily I didn't really got muscle cramps, even on the Sheares bridge my pace dropped to 730. So my strategy worked well. 👏

3. The last 10KM - it's really really boring, maybe because I was tired and did never run at this distance. 😅 

4. DNF - After I finished the race, I found that several fast runners that I know got DNF. That's why I said I'm lucky. 🤞

5. Medal - 3 months ago this was the only motivation which made me decide to upgrade to FM. Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the design of medal, when I had the first sight of the medal last night. The illustration shows that the FM medal is solid, no transparent section. However the actual one got transparent material on the both sides of lion. The only difference between last year and this year is just lion facing to right side this year. If I'd known the actual design of this year, probably I wouldn't have upgraded to FM... 😜

6. Preparation - Looking back the preparation that I have done in the past 3 months, it was a great journey. My "self-discipline" improved much, I have been strictly following the plan and time table to complete the training every week. Of course my status also experienced up-and-down, but every time during the training I told myself: don't be lazy, you are depositing "$$" into your account, when the race comes, you will withdraw "$$". More importantly, I'm very happy that I received a lot of suggestions, hints and encouragement from you guys, a big "MANY THANKS" to you all. All the best to everyone. 👍👍👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

1. Personal First - The weather was not too ideal, very very very humid. Luckily I finished my very first FM with 4:58. 💪

2. Strategy - I'm not a fast runner, even the HM PB in this year is 2:12. So yesterday from the beginning I kept reminding myself to hold the pace and not to run too fast, and managed to keep the pace at 650. In the second half, I wanted to speed up, but I realized that I wasn't able to do so, then just tried very hard to maintain the pace and to avoid dropping it too much. I kept eating the gel and salt tablet all the way, eventually ran them out; then I despairingly ate the gel provided by SCSM (regardless of the bad taste). Luckily I didn't really got muscle cramps, even on the Sheares bridge my pace dropped to 730. So my strategy worked well. 👏

3. The last 10KM - it's really really boring, maybe because I was tired and did never run at this distance. 😅 

4. DNF - After I finished the race, I found that several fast runners that I know got DNF. That's why I said I'm lucky. 🤞

5. Medal - 3 months ago this was the only motivation which made me decide to upgrade to FM. Honestly I was a bit disappointed with the design of medal, when I had the first sight of the medal last night. The illustration shows that the FM medal is solid, no transparent section. However the actual one got transparent material on the both sides of lion. The only difference between last year and this year is just lion facing to right side this year. If I'd known the actual design of this year, probably I wouldn't have upgraded to FM... 😜

6. Preparation - Looking back the preparation that I have done in the past 3 months, it was a great journey. My "self-discipline" improved much, I have been strictly following the plan and time table to complete the training every week. Of course my status also experienced up-and-down, but every time during the training I told myself: don't be lazy, you are depositing "$$" into your account, when the race comes, you will withdraw "$$". More importantly, I'm very happy that I received a lot of suggestions, hints and encouragement from you guys, a big "MANY THANKS" to you all. All the best to everyone. 👍👍👍

Congrats on your Maiden FM. Great accomplishment. Very decent debut timing too. And without cramps. 
Great job all round. 

Managed to complete the run! Was nt aiming for PB but trying to be ahead of e cut off timing at various pt. Glad i have it written on my arm. The organizer shld indicate e cut off timing at e earlier distance marker. 

Entertainment - Was amused at e 'bikini-gals'! They were very brave to don the attire! Saw many runners taking selfies with them! However, i was touched at e sight of e senior citizens cheering for us at tanjong pagar stretch. Kudos to all e performancers! Not easy to keep on going-and-going!

U turn - Surprised that there are no 'time tracker mat' at e U turn point @ west coat and e ecp! Thought they will put it to deter runners from taking a short cut.

Sharetransport - it was a long queue to go up e bus. Kaoz.. reallie no joke to stand and queue up for the bus aft e run. Esp there was so much walking aft e finishing pt. 

Heat rub - Insufficient heat rub at stations. I shld have brought my own. 

I skipped last year run and what an improvement from 2017 by the organisers. Baggage drop was very efficient and no queue anymore for the toilets with a huge number of cubicles around. Well done as it helps runners to start the race in good spirit.

Night race is a good idea though i still prefer morning runs and it was very humid.

A big miss on the "popular" aspect of the race with very few spectators and the end point being completely empty. Not sure what organisers can do as the event does not seem to be of any interest for Singaporeans.

Finish line at National Stadium with activities organised there for the public during/after the race would help maybe to have more people involved.

Edited by ludo_56

My review (Half-Marathon, Pen B )

Baggage deposit was seamless; lots of portable toilets (probably the most I've ever seen in an SG race).

5 min delay between Elites & Pen A, and Pen B was good... cleared up the route. No congestion whatsoever. 

Damn big adrenaline kick at the start. Tried slowing down but was 'pushed along' by the enthusiastic crowd. Getting overtaken left right centre despite running sub-4:30/km for 1st 2kms. The GPS bouncing along the Keppel area was quite disorienting. Should've worn a footpod. 

WCH after the U-turn was mentally draining. Crowd thinned out quite dramatically, couldn't find a group to run with (either too fast or too slow), so was trudging by myself... almost cramped up on the downhill section of WCH. 

Eventually finished in 1:43. Would've done better if I paced properly and ran with someone. My PB is 1:38 so not completely satisfied but there'll always be another race to smash it! Hope everyone had a good run! 

Capture.JPG

Edited by ov3rw3ight

It's hard to keep spectator around since its long hours event. Especially with mrt ending at around 11.30. I would still prefer night race since no need to fight the sun heat at the later stage. I think this race is the best so far, lots of things went better. If they could somehow implement a way to regulate the pen selection would be even better.

I managed to came in slightly beyond cut-off time - 7:34:31.😅

Cramps came in around 23 km and at ECP onwards was walk/run. The last 6 Km was a killer! Body cramps now. LOL...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Cramps came in around 23 km and at ECP onwards was walk/run. The last 6 Km was a killer! Body cramps now. LOL...

Congrats for finishing! So how many runners are behind you?

13 minutes ago, starfinder said:

Well done and recover well!

Just now, yh90 said:

Congrats for finishing! So how many runners are behind you?

Quite many actually. But graciously, we got to get the medal ad finisher shirt also. Think the organizer wants to reward us for completing the race 😜

Just now, wonderfulblevic said:

Well done and recover well!

Thanks. Nearly collapse as the body cramp caused difficulty in breathing. Got chance to hit below 7 hr but decided to take it easy for the last 6 km. 

Well, uncle is back. Yes, got myself at FM@Pen C. In order not to get myself into the last Pen this year because uncle reported (Pen Close) late in 2018, uncle advanced reported  to Pen C more than 40mins ahead of time before 550pm.

Of course, uncle did stay and sleep overnight. Met some old longtime running mates. Thought can sleep over at F1 Pit for free. Was told by Ironman Asia, "Please vacate yourself from 5km of this premise. Exit and leave."

Well, uncle and company stayed and slept at the Singapore Flyers (under the starry night). As you have known, Singapore Flyers were out-of-order recently due to mechanical reason, so were not told to "vacate" by any security personnel there.

"Majulah Singapura" was played just before the event starts. Kind of surprise to all. Most runners (mostly foreigners who are not aware the national anthem has been play) were still chatting. Wonder if this is going to be a "must" for SCSM. In America, all sports events begin with their National Anthem "The Star Spangled".

Yesterday, The downtown city area was bustled with four major events taking place at the same time:
1. The Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon (SCSM). 
2. U2 Joshua Tree Tour@National Stadium
3. C3 Anime Festival Asia (AFA) @Suntec City Convention Centre
4. Gardens By The Bay's Christmas Wonderland

Geoff Meyer, managing director of Asia for the Ironman Group that manages the SCSM, on Thursday (Nov 28) urged Singaporeans to gather along the race route and enjoy the "unprecedented mix of performances, food and activities" across three dedicated spectator zones - The Promontory, Empress Lawn and The Float. These include live bands, games for the family, and an LED Lion Dance performance.

We did see and hear some of the live bands along the route.Uncle was not only "amused at e 'bikini-gals', actually they were performing belly dancing, maybe uncle interested on their 'bellies'. Elvis and Michael Jackson were there too.

1. Weather was very humid
2. We had generous nutrition offered at 13km, 23km, 33km. If you have missed them, expect "energy to run out of gas" and get cramped. Luckily uncle fed with gel, bananas, and lots of 
pretzel 
3. "Big adrenaline kick at the start". Of course, when you are later cheered by the crowd at Downtown run. Everybody runs at FB mode.
4. WCH will be the first place where many newbies will be "tire" out. Don't talk about going to the ECP (which we have known, the distance around it is much shorter than in previous years).

Some interesting things uncle read from your preview:

1. There was non alcoholic beer (heineken non alcoholic beer - too blend since alcoholic is 0.7%) being offered at the end point but was too tired to take. The Lays chips was heavenly though. Yes, uncle took them all for a get-together with uncle running mates.
2. U turn - Surprised that there are no 'time tracker mat' at e U turn point @ west coat and e ecp!  Actually there were white plates with tiny antenna mounted and there not red time mat expected.
3. If you are running in the last Pen, be prepared for "cut-off" or DNF for many unknown reasons. So, never run last Pen for you have been "warned" by uncle.

Overall, evening run - crowd turn up to cheer you. Yes, the cheering for FM is throughout with also live bands and drums even from 30km onwards. If for those who are really tired, motivation of such "entertainment" is an advantage.

It is a know fact: many FMers will come to Midnight for those who in the 4-6 hour. Of course, those who are surviving at 7.5 hour and even DNF, you are at 2am onwards. Something Ironman Asia must be careful on offering the use of their Event Village. Uncle saw a lot of cramped runners specifically for the beyond midnight runners, limping, cramp with pain. To be told, "Please vacate within 5km radius" was very insensitive. 5km from F1 is even beyond HUB. "Please exit and leave". You see troops of "fallen runners" all leaving when some of them had just returned and just rest and sit down to start their "snacks". 

In previous Sundown (Evening) Events, the event host provide a shower tentage, provide entertainment like "movie" on big screen, and runners while waiting for the transport to arrive after 6am, the Event Village is made available to rest, recover and even to sleep over for the sake of Runners Welfare. There was no "please move", "exit and leave".

To Ironman Asia, if you don't offer your Event Village to runners, but instead only tell runners to "move on", "move out", "exit", then you are "sucks" for after Sales and Marketing of Events. In 2018 and previous year, there were no tentage for runners in the hot morning sun. Of course, please "move on" and "exit". Please phototaking, please move on. Please taking of goodies, please move on. Please Ironman Asia,  please cut down excessive use of "move on" more of military command. We don't need some organiser to tell customers to "move on" after a marathon. However, we can tell you to "move out" from hosting SCSM with utterly unprofessional and uncaring remarks from your staff.

To all whom uncle has the pleasure to be sharing in this forum:

"The miracle isn't that I FINISHED. The miracle is that I had the COURAGE to START."

Kudos to those who always wanted to do their maiden FM. Yes, the first try could be DNF. Try again, have the COURAGE to START next year.

End.

Edited by kohpapa

5 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Well done bro! Effort paid off! 

55 minutes ago, kohpapa said:

To Ironman Asia, if you don't offer your Event Village to runners, but instead only tell runners to "move on", "move out", "exit", then you are "sucks" for after Sales and Marketing of Events. In 2018 and previous year, there were no tentage for runners in the hot morning sun. Of course, please "move on" and "exit". Please phototaking, please move on. Please taking of goodies, please move on. Please Ironman Asia,  please cut down excessive use of "move on" more of military command. 

Uncle, i was one of those told to leave as they explained they need to prepare the site for next race. I was so tired got to lie down rest, but bo pian got to leave. In fact, i was so tired i vomitted while waiting for taxi!  But again, DNF never cross my mind. Got to finish it even if came in beyond cutoff time. 

Really hate the way the organiser and security Guards whistling and chasing people out of the event village. Simply rude

5 minutes ago, ayukawa22 said:

Really hate the way the organiser and security Guards whistling and chasing people out of the event village. Simply rude

I encountered this prob becos i was amongst the last to come in. Those came in much earlier shouldn't see this bah 

4 hours ago, Pearlina said:

U turn - Surprised that there are no 'time tracker mat' at e U turn point @ west coat and e ecp! Thought they will put it to deter runners from taking a short cut. 

They used antennas, kind like the cell phones tower type.

1 hour ago, starfinder said:

Well done bro! Effort paid off! 

Thank you and congratulations to you. 

6 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Congrats on your Maiden FM. Great accomplishment. Very decent debut timing too. And without cramps. 
Great job all round. 

Thank you very much for your encouragement. 😜