lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

9 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

One more thing, the 10% discount for past participant has been removed this year. :thumbsdown:

So double whammy. Fee increase and no discount.  So factoring in the 8% active fee, HM fee for Super Early Bird is $81. That's nearly $18 what I paid last year or a whopping 28% increase.  :startle:

There was a $10 past participant discount, but only for past FM runners that register in the last 4 days.

I mentioned it earlier - since it is a past participant discount, why was it only for 4 days and not for the entire sign-up period?

And nobody knows why the discount is only for FM runners.

A whopping 28% price increase is too ridiculous - I posed the question on FB asking them to justify the price increase, but they ignore my question (as expected)........ 

37 minutes ago, beast said:

There was a $10 past participant discount, but only for past FM runners that register in the last 4 days.

I mentioned it earlier - since it is a past participant discount, why was it only for 4 days and not for the entire sign-up period?

And nobody knows why the discount is only for FM runners.

A whopping 28% price increase is too ridiculous - I posed the question on FB asking them to justify the price increase, but they ignore my question (as expected)........ 

It's a Saturday night where there is lots of happening. So more road closure, more manpower,  more logistics required? Hence the big increase in fees?

I guess this time, the route will include Orchard Road, so that there will already have people watching and cheering the runners. This will look good for SCSM if it is to be included in WMM.

Well one thing about evening marathon, no need to loose sleep. Some runner have problems sleeping early, end up sleep deprived. The other thing is additional motivation to catch last MRT back.

Two things from the announcement, likely to start/end at F1 and there will be new shirt vendor. Hopefully it will be adidas

I can run better early in the morning than in the evening. Encounter a few problem in a few evening race event. I even vomited in one of the evening run. Don't know why ? Anyone got the same problem as me or is it only me?

Yeah, its good to start at 6pm, if u are the ok ok or average ones, u can definitely catch the last train, lets say we finish the marathon like 5hrs+, we will end around 11+. Last train is still available for us. To me its a good initiative. And nobody will complaint getting to the site late bec 6pm start leh! U can oversleep meh for an evening race meh?

If its a Morning run u have to wake up at 3am, then go take the charter bus to site , i dun think one can even fall asleep before the race bec u have to wake up like 2am to prepare, thereby badly affecting performance. Else u have to Grap to site wasting $10-$15. Totally uncall for.

Actually if u are a seasoned runner, u will kinda dislike start point at Orchard bec they had held there like many donkey years, u see the same thing over and over.

Regarding the price hike, to me, its a bit nonsense, they have'nt even reach that "standard", yet up the money for more profits. But still there will still be people signing up bec running in Singapore is like that one, one era of older runners get tired of Singapore races, another group of new ones will take over, so  milking money from runners is'nt that difficult. Sad rite !

4 hours ago, puppyrun said:

It's a Saturday night where there is lots of happening. So more road closure, more manpower,  more logistics required? Hence the big increase in fees?

I guess this time, the route will include Orchard Road, so that there will already have people watching and cheering the runners. This will look good for SCSM if it is to be included in WMM.

Like what AdiZero bro said above, they have yet to prove themselves that they have a good and consistent race organization. Especially when they just change the race format this year and nobody knows if they are able to keep up with providing a good race experience since it is their first time doing it. Understand logistically the costs will increase as a result of a night run, and hence a gradual increase of registration fees (like 10%) would have been a more acceptable increase. A 26% increase is simply too much.

6 hours ago, Gusluk said:

Two things from the announcement, likely to start/end at F1 and there will be new shirt vendor. Hopefully it will be adidas

Adidas will be nice, though the sizing chart looks like compresports...

8 minutes ago, Arvin Tunas said:

And also, it was mentioned that one of the criteria for marathon major is to have at least 15k FM finishers. Last year, there were 13.5k FM finishers. So they are hoping more runners will come out to support the FM the year. 

I’m wondering- then why raise price for FM by so much?

From the Q&A, I also get the impression that there will be more of the city in the route this year, to get more crowd to come.  Probsbly still can’t avoid ECP but maybe can minimize  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, beast said:

In the pre-sale email to past FM participants, the runner's entitlements are listed and are the same stuff as last year:

- Race singlet
- Race pack
- Finisher medal & T-shirt
- Cold towel
- Digital Photo 

For last year, was the digital photo part of the entitlement? If have, I may have missed the email to claim it.

Edited by Ender

- Just now completed the registration on HM: with SC Card 15% and 8% process fee, the total cost is: 75 x 0.85 x 1.08 = 68.85 SGD.

- Last year I signed up double-up challenge (HM+10KM), and finally spent 120 x 0.85 x 1.08 = 110.16 SGD

- 2017, I signed up HM and spent: 65 x 0.85 x 1.08 = 59.67 SGD

16 hours ago, beast said:

In the pre-sale email to past FM participants, the runner's entitlements are listed and are the same stuff as last year:

- Race singlet
- Race pack
- Finisher medal & T-shirt
- Cold towel
- Digital Photo 

From the website, Ekiden no more finisher tee but 5 runners pay $360 in total.

Run less than $10k, no finisher tee and pay extra. Not going to  jio colleagues for this liao 

12 hours ago, mover said:

I can run better early in the morning than in the evening. Encounter a few problem in a few evening race event. I even vomited in one of the evening run. Don't know why ? Anyone got the same problem as me or is it only me?

Just guessing here......maybe it’s the humidity and/or car exhaust in the air for evening runs compared to fresher & cooler air for early morning run?

9 hours ago, Ender said:

For last year, was the digital photo part of the entitlement? If have, I may have missed the email to claim it.

Yes it was. I didn't receive any emails to claim it too. Did anyone else here claim it?

It led me to thinking that the so-called digital photo is the one you can take at the race expo - the one with the superimposed SCMS background.  

Hi, just to add, for the loyalty discount, it is not entitled to 2018 FM runner as most of my runner friends did not receive the pre-sale email except for those who joined more times (> 3 or more???). 

I also think that the hike is too much. I paid for $65 in 2018 (after 15% discount) It makes feel that for the organiser no matter how much the price increase, we runners will still run as it is the only local FM at the year. I will still run this year due to the great experience last year but if the price continues to increase next year, I may deter from local FM totally and run just HM (not standard chartered)

I normally do my LSD in the morning, thus I don't know how I fare this time. I hope that there will be a charted bus service back as I will be starting at Pen E and will not be finished before the last bus or mrt depending on the starting time. 

13 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

And also, it was mentioned that one of the criteria for marathon major is to have at least 15k FM finishers. Last year, there were 13.5k FM finishers. So they are hoping more runners will come out to support the FM the year. 

I’m wondering- then why raise price for FM by so much?

From the Q&A, I also get the impression that there will be more of the city in the route this year, to get more crowd to come.  Probsbly still can’t avoid ECP but maybe can minimize  

I think given that it is an evening race this year, there should be more FM finishers given the improved weather conditions. Last year was blazing hot.

3 hours ago, beast said:

Yes it was. I didn't receive any emails to claim it too. Did anyone else here claim it?

It led me to thinking that the so-called digital photo is the one you can take at the race expo - the one with the superimposed SCMS background.  

I also kept an eye out for the digital photo after the race, but also did not manage to find out how to claim it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Finally, I thought that having the 5 & 10K on Sunday was done out of necessity, since HM and FM runners could have Sunday to rest, and they can't have the 5K and 10K on a Friday since it was a weekday. It also makes sense from a logistical point of view. Deployed resources on Saturday evening can remain and serve the runners on Sunday morning.

2 hours ago, limxt10 said:

Hi, just to add, for the loyalty discount, it is not entitled to 2018 FM runner as most of my runner friends did not receive the pre-sale email except for those who joined more times (> 3 or more???). 

I also think that the hike is too much. I paid for $65 in 2018 (after 15% discount) It makes feel that for the organiser no matter how much the price increase, we runners will still run as it is the only local FM at the year. I will still run this year due to the great experience last year but if the price continues to increase next year, I may deter from local FM totally and run just HM (not standard chartered)

I normally do my LSD in the morning, thus I don't know how I fare this time. I hope that there will be a charted bus service back as I will be starting at Pen E and will not be finished before the last bus or mrt depending on the starting time. 

I was told at the Sundown marathon expo that to enjoy the special rate, its either you sign up on the spot (regardless of whether you have done it before or not), or if you are a 2018 FM participant you will receive the email with the sign up link. Either they screw up the emails of the past participants, or the staff at the expo were not clear that it was for the 300km club only.

The prices are definitely going to increase every year by at least $10, given that they already announced they are bidding for WMM. The registration fees for those WMM runs are not cheap, with the cheapest being Tokyo marathon going at above $150 SGD. They are going to leverage on the WMM branding to rationalize their increase in registration fees so as to profit more. Can only hope that they really step up in the race organization with the increase in prices.

24 minutes ago, warp9wb said:

Finally, I thought that having the 5 & 10K on Sunday was done out of necessity, since HM and FM runners could have Sunday to rest, and they can't have the 5K and 10K on a Friday since it was a weekday. It also makes sense from a logistical point of view. Deployed resources on Saturday evening can remain and serve the runners on Sunday morning.

It wasn't done out of necessity - there is money to be made out of these group of runners.

I just don't get it why the kids dash need to have a separate night on its own. They could have just combined it with the 5 and 10km runners.

I was told at the Sundown marathon expo that to enjoy the special rate, its either you sign up on the spot (regardless of whether you have done it before or not), or if you are a 2018 FM participant you will receive the email with the sign up link. Either they screw up the emails of the past participants, or the staff at the expo were not clear that it was for the 300km club only.

I received the email with sign up link as 2018 FM participant, but it was only for the FM category. 

I also kept an eye out for the digital photo after the race, but also did not manage to find out how to claim it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

It is in one of the email from SCSM with the info to redeem the 1 free racephoto. 

image.png.f779d9fcd9211ac4a9cae51d33d77069.png

53 minutes ago, Arvin Tunas said:

I received the email with sign up link as 2018 FM participant, but it was only for the FM category. 

It is in one of the email from SCSM with the info to redeem the 1 free racephoto. 

image.png.f779d9fcd9211ac4a9cae51d33d77069.png

I have missed the email. This year will try to look out for it. 

So it is confirmed start at F1 Pit, finish at floating platform. Maybe course wouldn't change much from last year.

I wonder if we design marathon route that is worthy of major marathon what would it be like.

Posted (edited)

Every year on SCSM series, uncle updates on IAAF Label Road Races, and significant changes have been made to the regulations for IAAF Label road races from 2019 to improve the quality of events for the athletes who take part and the fans that follow them.

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/label-road-race-regulations-2019

Several changes have been made to the IAAF Label regulations for 2019, including the introduction of a 'Platinum Label', the use of IAAF World Rankings to determine an athlete's Label status, and allowing 5km races to apply for Labels.

In cooperation with Abbott World Marathon Majors, a Platinum Label has been introduced. It will be granted from 2020 to races meeting the Platinum requirements in 2019:

5km road races can now apply for IAAF Labels.

Previous rules obliged label race organisers to have elite athletes from at least five countries. From 2019 that rule will no longer exist, meaning races can, a) focus on building stronger elite fields and b) aspire to a label even with domestic elite athletes who are on the pool of the required status.

A ‘continental’ quota for Platinum and Gold applications is also introduced to give a boost to the development of local elite athletes.

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/37136688-ea01-44da-8d15-7b0584b10694.pdf

Additional criteria for Platinum Label
The following additional criteria, in event operations, safety and runner’s experience, must be met by races applying for a Platinum Label (only highlighted for special interest):
* The event must be accessible to athletes with a disability who are able to participate within the specific regulations of the relevant event.
* In the year preceding that for which the Platinum Label is sought, the event must have had at least 15,000 finishers (10,000 if shorter than the Half Marathon) in the distance for which the application is submitted. At least 5% of finishers must come from countries/territories
other than the one where the race takes place.
* The porta-toilet to runner ratio at the start must not exceed 1:62. If wheelchair or handbike races are held with the event, at least 1 every 40 portable toilets must be for disabled participants. 

International Broadcast Requirements for Platinum Label Races:
* In the host country/territory: full live coverage on at least 1 country-wide TV network
* International: full live coverage on TV or web-streaming in at least 20 countries/territories. 

Looking to 2019-2020/21,  Event must be accessible to athletes with a disability who are able to participate; More finishers are required; More local elite athletes participation; 5KM is a IAAF Label Race, Apply to Upgrade from Gold Label Race to Platinum Label Race from 2019.

Edited by kohpapa

22 hours ago, Arvin Tunas said:

If its really Compressports, then I won't sign up!

Wah lao... Now I read from some post here, that the apparel vendor change? I chose a size smaller than last year, as the UA sizing was too big for Medium. So I chose small instead.. 

7 minutes ago, Ender said:

Wah lao... Now I read from some post here, that the apparel vendor change? I chose a size smaller than last year, as the UA sizing was too big for Medium. So I chose small instead.. 

Just drop them an email to change lor