lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

1 hour ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I find those running folding cups very useful.  It’s plastic, but can be used multiple times and easily squeezed into any running belt.  Makes drinking from water coolers no longer a tricky affair.  Craze ultra have this as a souvenir this year.  Decathlon sells it too. I think it’s Kalenji brand for trail running.  Can’t recall the price but don’t think it’s expensive.  Plan to use this for SCSM. 

Am curious @wonderfulblevic, are you planning to top up your cup from the bottled sources at the water stations, drink and empty the cup and chuck it back into your belt while running?

3 hours ago, okw said:

Am curious @wonderfulblevic, are you planning to top up your cup from the bottled sources at the water stations, drink and empty the cup and chuck it back into your belt while running?

I intend to pour the contents of the filled paper cups into my plastic cup, so that the paper cups can be refilled by the volunteers for others to drink from. 

Usually the paper cups are one-third or at most half filled by the volunteers. That’s not enough for me. I need to drink 3 full cups of water whenever I stop at a hydration point (I don’t stop at every hydration point). So instead of drinking 3-6 paper cups and wasting all these paper cups, I would previously just pour the contents of the paper cups into one cup and drink from that one cup. This way I save 2-5 paper cups. And also benefit a few more runners behind in case the paper cups run out. 
 So this year I will save all paper cups cos I’m using my plastic cup. 
And yes, I just fold and stuff inside my belt. I’ve tried it during my long runs. It works perfectly. 

Now I'm really worried about the potential haze coming back.......... 🥵

It came before f1 and gone after f1... not SCSM is coming soon..... 😭

9 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Thanks Pris.... looks like I have to up my sustainability efforts to include the spectators :D

No problems. Yeah they would need reminding too😊

3 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I intend to pour the contents of the filled paper cups into my plastic cup, so that the paper cups can be refilled by the volunteers for others to drink from. 

Usually the paper cups are one-third or at most half filled by the volunteers. That’s not enough for me. I need to drink 3 full cups of water whenever I stop at a hydration point (I don’t stop at every hydration point). So instead of drinking 3-6 paper cups and wasting all these paper cups, I would previously just pour the contents of the paper cups into one cup and drink from that one cup. This way I save 2-5 paper cups. And also benefit a few more runners behind in case the paper cups run out. 
 So this year I will save all paper cups cos I’m using my plastic cup. 
And yes, I just fold and stuff inside my belt. I’ve tried it during my long runs. It works perfectly. 

Wow, respect!!! :)

@wonderfulblevic thank you so much. At the expo this year - can you sign my banner to support waste reduction. We will be doing a Low Carbon Zero Waste

Would be great to see if we can also get SCSM to be a cupless event in the future

3 hours ago, yh90 said:

Think i knew how the tyre lady looked like in person le. Saw her photo in scsm fb page.

Hope you will support her cause to reduce the amount of waste generated by all stakeholders 😛

2 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Hope you will support her cause to reduce the amount of waste generated by all stakeholders 😛

Cant byob, as much as im a supporter of reducing waste as im gg all out in the race.

But i promised not to anyhow litter all over the place.

Edited by yh90

54 minutes ago, yh90 said:

Cant byob, as much as im a supporter of reducing waste as im gg all out in the race.

But i promised not to anyhow litter all over the place.

Thank you and appreciate you being part of a "Keep the route and environment clean route by binning everything responsibly". Come sign the pledge at the REPC :)

Edited by Lady Ice

1 hour ago, Lady Ice said:

Come sign the pledge at the REPC :)

I saw you several times in the past races, including SCSM 2018, I overtook you on the West Coast Highway... until after the race, in the forum here I just connected tyre lady with you. I will go and sign the pledge at the REPC this year. 😊

6 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

I saw you several times in the past races, including SCSM 2018, I overtook you on the West Coast Highway... until after the race, in the forum here I just connected tyre lady with you. I will go and sign the pledge at the REPC this year. 😊

Thank you @ZZIZZ.  :) 

This year we will be in the SCSM marketing section of the expo. Also we will be collecting:

- unwanted t-shirts and running shoes in good condition to give to the migrant workers via ItsRainingRainCoats  Hoping we can get them joining free Parkruns on Saturday
- unwanted running shoes in bad condition - Active SG will be using these to refurbish / make running tracks
- unwanted medals - we will repurpose them if they are the pretend plastic type or get them sent to a metal collector if they are metal

19 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

- unwanted t-shirts and running shoes in good condition to give to the migrant workers via ItsRainingRainCoats  Hoping we can get them joining free Parkruns on Saturday
- unwanted running shoes in bad condition - Active SG will be using these to refurbish / make running tracks
- unwanted medals - we will repurpose them if they are the pretend plastic type or get them sent to a metal collector if they are metal

A very useful and valuable information, thank you for sharing.  I would suggest that if you could share it widely, personally I wouldn't know it if you didn't mention it......

21 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

This year we will be in the SCSM marketing section of the expo. Also we will be collecting:

Where is the REPC?

If its not too far away, I'll see if I can drop by and donate some medals

On 11/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, ZZIZZ said:

A very useful and valuable information, thank you for sharing.  I would suggest that if you could share it widely, personally I wouldn't know it if you didn't mention it......

Will see if I can get Ironman to advertise it. Thanks so much :) 

On 11/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, sicklycat said:

Where is the REPC?

If its not too far away, I'll see if I can drop by and donate some medals

Cool - I should be there every afternoon and then Saturday morning :D

8 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

Will see if I can get Ironman to advertise it. Thanks so much :) 

Did you also work with Income for their Eco run? 

12 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Did you also work with Income for their Eco run? 

I sent them some suggestions about 3 years ago. They thanked me politely :D  Dunno if they put in anything I suggested.

Thanks @delldell314 - hope you will sign my pledge and provide feedback to the organisers to go cupless. I am helping organise the first major cupless running event for Nice and Geneva marathons (20K participants) so hopefully will be tried and tested before bringing to Singapore.

Also some other sustainability news for you. The Singapore Marathon will generate over 200,000 plastic bottles of varying sizes. We will be separating them at the event village. However would any of you be interested in taking a load to try out the reverse vending machines around the island. There are 10 set up currently and will give you 20ct discount voucher for NTUC for every 4 bottles. We are sitting on $10,000 worth of shopping ;) So can also help a low income family that you know :D

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/50-reverse-vending-machines-that-can-accept-drinks-containers-to-be-rolled-out-islandwide

Good idea! Lady Ice.

Sorry I will still use those plastic cup but promise don't anyhow waste them by taking multiple cups. 

Ok? Newbie here. Don't box me.

During REPC I will go look for the pledge to sign in support of minimum waste. See whether I can also bring some old medals or not.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:50 AM, Lady Ice said:

Thanks @delldell314 - hope you will sign my pledge and provide feedback to the organisers to go cupless. I am helping organise the first major cupless running event for Nice and Geneva marathons (20K participants) so hopefully will be tried and tested before bringing to Singapore.

Also some other sustainability news for you. The Singapore Marathon will generate over 200,000 plastic bottles of varying sizes. We will be separating them at the event village. However would any of you be interested in taking a load to try out the reverse vending machines around the island. There are 10 set up currently and will give you 20ct discount voucher for NTUC for every 4 bottles. We are sitting on $10,000 worth of shopping ;) So can also help a low income family that you know :D

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/50-reverse-vending-machines-that-can-accept-drinks-containers-to-be-rolled-out-islandwide

Ok i will look n try to fnd  ur booth during my visit to rpec.