lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

1 hour ago, okw said:

I am sure the details of the water/aid/replenishment stations will be available in the final event guide. I will need to plan my replenishment strategy based on those details and am confident information will be provided. Whether or not the organizers execute it well, is another matter though.

I hope so OKW!

In early days just after Y2K (i.e. year 2000 onward), the local event organizers were very well organized and the race event was properly planned!

When the race is opened for registration, the race route map is already out with all the details including hydration and energy replenishment points.

In the old days, many runners may not want to sign up if the race route was not published before the registration!

Nowadays, the world has changed, majority of the race route will not be published until the last minute. It's like the buyer takes risk to buy a car without knowing the specification...

Edited by activerun

FM Cot is 7hr 30mins, from last flag off. (Last flag off should be around 7pm)

COT for respective check-points:

5.4km mark- Before 7.57pm (Near  marina promeade)

11.7km mark- Before 9.04pm (Nicoll Highway, opposite Keppel Club)

19.1km mark- Before 10:23pm (Robinson Road)

27.7km mark- Before 11:55pm (ECP, Zone B)

32.4km mark- Before 12:45am (GBTB East,near the roadside area)

36.9km mark- Before 1:33am (GBTB, sheares Avenue)

39.9km mark- Before 2.01am (Republic avenue)

2 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Here we are:  

image.png.f0d8b1301999f83401497d729bc5069d.png

e-Guide: https://singaporemarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/SCSM2019-RIG-General-FinalB.pdf

I guess that the organizer has ability to read our mind................................ 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, yh90 said:

FM Cot is 7hr 30mins, from last flag off. (Last flag off should be around 7pm)

COT for respective check-points:

5.4km mark- Before 7.57pm (Near  marina promeade)

11.7km mark- Before 9.04pm (Nicoll Highway, opposite Keppel Club)

19.1km mark- Before 10:23pm (Robinson Road)

27.7km mark- Before 11:55pm (ECP, Zone B)

32.4km mark- Before 12:45am (GBTB East,near the roadside area)

36.9km mark- Before 1:33am (GBTB, sheares Avenue)

39.9km mark- Before 2.01am (Republic avenue)

Thank you for the timely information. This year my training no good. Hope can still do sub-5 to maintain my record. Hope the new route will provide many positive surprises. 

Noticed there are pretzels and ice chips at some aid stations. Is this something new? Don’t recall having these previously. Won’t be taking the new brand of gels as I haven’t tried before. Is this the one used last year? 
There’s also a sweeper running squad this year. Interesting. 

5 hours ago, wonderfulblevic said:

Won’t be taking the new brand of gels as I haven’t tried before.

Agreed. I prefer not to try something new on the race day... 

57 minutes ago, Gusluk said:

Here's how fast you need to run to make the COT for each Pen.

image.png.883675e4cb3aebf5cef81e2a10de153a.png

Can I say that...?

The faster you are running, the more front you will start off, the longer COT you will have...

The slower you are running, the more behind you will start off, the shorter COT you will have... 🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Can I say that...?

The faster you are running, the more front you will start off, the longer COT you will have...

The slower you are running, the more behind you will start off, the shorter COT you will have... 🤦‍♂️

By default earlier pen has more time to complete the course than later pen which is somewhat quite ironic.

Those Pen G need to run faster than 7:30 finishing time pace if want to clear the checkpoint COT...😵 

On 11/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, ZZIZZ said:

Feels like you buy a condo with SGD 2M, then one year later your friend also buy the same condo with 1.5M... 😅

Not the same analogy leh....

If you buy a condo and you can stay in it immediately, you pay $0.5M for the usage of it for a year.

More like you pay 2M in June, your friend pay 1.5M in August, and both of you can only move in to stay on 30 Nov.... of course you will be angry coz you did not get to enjoy any additional benefits more than your friend yet you pay $0.5M more.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, starfinder said:

SG races are known to be more expensive compared to elsewhere in the region.

For myself, I am cutting down the number of local races to attend, especially those I went before and the routes are similar. I may rather spend the money go elsewhere once in while, for new experiences and memories.

Not everyone had the luxury and convenience to attend overseas runs. Also, many overseas runs are getting more and more expensive as well, so SG races is not that more ex actually.

But agree that for the price you pay for SG races, overseas runs are far more better organized....SG races really don't know how to take care of its participants...

I thought SCSM last year was pretty well executed and they had entertainment on the course which was new. Also the volunteers were more lively.

@Starfinder -  Singapore is an expensive country to live in compared to elsewhere in the region - food, transport, housing, goods are all more expensive. So would expect events to be more expensive comparatively.  Our neighbours can run cheaper due to the infrastructure and lower cost of living BUT also have also found that the roads are not always fully closed. I do like the food after though ;)  SCSM - at least I know the roads will be closed with health and safety enforced.

Compared to the large European events - SCSM marathon is actually cheaper and in terms of overall well being, it is comparative. 

• Like 1

I am in trouble.  Only done up to 19km for LSD so far since completing running Berlin marathon in late Sep.  My longest run will probably be 25-28km.

Hope to make it under 6h.

@Madmax - just enjoy the event. You have up to 7.5 hours. And if time it well, you can sleep over and then do the 5 or 10km in the morning as a recovery run. I am 😛

GOING CUPLESS
For all those slow runners (greater than the top 20 runners ;) ) would suggest you bring your own bottle that you can refill along the route. This will mean you can drink when you need to drink and you can skip crowded water stops.

For all those non-podium finishers, you might also like to practice BYOB as this will also give you practice for the European marathons that are starting to go cupless and you will be expected to BYO cup/bottle/hydration bag.  Berlin marathon explored cupless and reusable cups :) Next year Geneva and Nice marathons are expected to go cupless.

This has helped to improve the health and safety of the course as there are too many selfish runners who only think about themselves and litter either directly in front of other runners or toss their litter into / or near drains which escapes into our environment and becomes part of the water pollution. Too many runners have slipped on cups, bottles, tripped over banana skins and had gel packets stuck to the bottom of their shoe.   

My 7 hour time will receive the same medal as someone who has run 3:30

Please help to put your litter in the bin to keep the course safe for all. Thank you :D 

Edited by Lady Ice

3 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

GOING CUPLESS
For all those slow runners (greater than the top 20 runners ;) ) would suggest you bring your own bottle that you can refill along the route. This will mean you can drink when you need to drink and you can skip crowded water stops.

For all those non-podium finishers, you might also like to practice BYOB as this will also give you practice for the European marathons that are starting to go cupless and you will be expected to BYO cup/bottle/hydration bag.  Berlin marathon explored cupless and reusable cups :) Next year Geneva and Nice marathons are expected to go cupless.

This has helped to improve the health and safety of the course as there are too many selfish runners who only think about themselves and litter either directly in front of other runners or toss their litter into / or near drains which escapes into our environment and becomes part of the water pollution. Too many runners have slipped on cups, bottles, tripped over banana skins and had gel packets stuck to the bottom of their shoe.   

Please help to put your litter in the bin to keep the course safe for all. Thank you :D 

Considering the difference in the climates, we drink more during race than those in cooler weather. BYOB means carrying more or refilling more times. Those going for target timings will be blogged down by these.

Nevertheless, many of us take it for granted that throwing cups freely onto the ground is an entitlement. I don't know about that, but it should be an etiquette to at least throw the cups out of the way of the runners behind. Most runners (myself included) can't think/care when feeling exhausted. As much as I try to dispose cups and whatever waste into the bins, when I am too exhausted, my aiming fails big time. If I missed the bin, I make it a point to hold on the the empty cup until a garbage bin comes along, or my arms are too tired and it slips away. I guess if everyone tries to be a little bit more thoughtful, it makes a big difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

GOING CUPLESS

😭😭😭 So I am officially a SLOW Runner (not a sub 4 hrs and definitely not top 20 finisher).......wail......😢😢

I am definitely ok and had took part in a few BYOB events, but they were mostly trail runs. For road run, I will be wondering how are they going to implement BYOB? Unless, the hydration points are re-located few meters away off the running route (ie. not at the side of the road). Otherwise, the topping up of water at the side of the road will surely cause blockage or bottleneck to all runners.

6 hours ago, Lady Ice said:

GOING CUPLESS

Tbh,I wont practice byob when i aim timing, esp scsm. it bogged me down when i did oxxfit run which has byob format.Usually i drink finish, i often aim to throw at bins.

European marathons want to go cupless or not does not really matter to me as i'm not keen to race there anytime soon, too expensive for me.

Hope you understand. Not all will enjoy the idea of byob in races.

Edited by yh90

On 11/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, Lady Ice said:

I thought SCSM last year was pretty well executed and they had entertainment on the course which was new. Also the volunteers were more lively.

@Starfinder -  Singapore is an expensive country to live in compared to elsewhere in the region - food, transport, housing, goods are all more expensive. So would expect events to be more expensive comparatively.  Our neighbours can run cheaper due to the infrastructure and lower cost of living BUT also have also found that the roads are not always fully closed. I do like the food after though ;)  SCSM - at least I know the roads will be closed with health and safety enforced.

Compared to the large European events - SCSM marathon is actually cheaper and in terms of overall well being, it is comparative. 

Yup SCSM last year was one of the better organized local runs in recent times that I can recall of. The roads were fully closed and hydration was sufficient. If I were to nitpick I would say they could have planned for providing more stuff at support stations (sponges, biscuits etc).

Sundown was badly supported this year. At one point only 1 or 2 lanes of the roads were opened for running. Hydration was lacking.

I haven't run enough overseas runs to say that local marathons are comparable in terms of price and support, but so far have not encountered any badly supported runs overseas. Most of the runs also feel safe and are fully closed, though I still feel a bit uncomfortable to run in Malaysia due to all the news on safety breaches and runners get run over.

8 minutes ago, beast said:

Yup SCSM last year was one of the better organized local runs in recent times that I can recall of. The roads were fully closed and hydration was sufficient. If I were to nitpick I would say they could have planned for providing more stuff at support stations (sponges, biscuits etc).

Sundown was badly supported this year. At one point only 1 or 2 lanes of the roads were opened for running. Hydration was lacking.

I haven't run enough overseas runs to say that local marathons are comparable in terms of price and support, but so far have not encountered any badly supported runs overseas. Most of the runs also feel safe and are fully closed, though I still feel a bit uncomfortable to run in Malaysia due to all the news on safety breaches and runners get run over.

If you want cheap and good oversea runs, Taiwan races will be recemmended for you.

I do understand the perception about refilling more or taking more water on board and that there is a large percentage of folk focused on timing.  But I am also aware that this could be a false perception that taking on board water will slow you down.

You should be aware there will be fast local runners who will be aiming between 3:30 to 3:15 who will be taking their own water onboard to skip the water stations. They have found they have to slow down for water stations to pick up a cup, try to drink it and then regain momentum. Have one case study that I was involved in where the top 20 runners achieved better times than the last 5 years when the event first went cupless in 2018. I noted they had brought hydration bags / small bottles.

As for tossing the cups and gel packets to the side, the cleaners will not be able to clean up the items. In 2017 we went along 5km of the SCSM course after the cleaners had gone through the course and picked up 4kg of runners' waste (gel packets, heat rub tubes, broken running shoe, cups) that was in the long grass, bushes, drains.

Also there is this issue of climate change that affects everyone except the Americans (Trump is walking out on the Paris agreement) and the amount of waste generated has a direct contribution to the amount of carbon emissions.

At the Nice marathon there were a number of Chinese, Hong Kong and Japanese people who agreed with going cupless and bought cups / bottles to support the event. These are habits that need to be formed, just like you wearing shoes.... With the same argument that water might load you down, could say that your shoes could be loading you down so why not go barefoot? Except the course is so dirty with runners' gel, cups and banana droppings :( 

Edited by Lady Ice

10 hours ago, beast said:

Think I prefer the sprays over sponges - as folk become more concerned about hygiene.  Anyway being an evening event - might not really need so much sponging. Have done the ultra evening events and never needed a sponge.

I agree with you about having more food out on the course, or better food at the end. In the marathon events that have participated in Thailand & Malaysia - I love the buffet of local food at the end but yeah you're right the lack of road closures is something I feel irritated by.

Think Sundown has been taken over by an overseas company so might be cost cutting!!!

I find those running folding cups very useful.  It’s plastic, but can be used multiple times and easily squeezed into any running belt.  Makes drinking from water coolers no longer a tricky affair.  Craze ultra have this as a souvenir this year.  Decathlon sells it too. I think it’s Kalenji brand for trail running.  Can’t recall the price but don’t think it’s expensive.  Plan to use this for SCSM.