lonewolf

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019 - 29 Nov - 1 Dec (Fri - Sun)

😤😤🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️💔💔

I believe that I made a mistake in the past two weeks... Normally I maintain my weekly mileage at around 20KM (or less), the week before I increased it to 37KM, and last week I ran 42KM in total. Then starting from this Tuesday suddenly I become listless, also feels like catching a cold, no energy at all. Anyway I stopped running since then. I was overexcited and totally forgot about 10% increment mileage week-to-week...  I learned a lesson...

😭😭

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

😤😤🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️💔💔

I believe that I made a mistake in the past two weeks... Normally I maintain my weekly mileage at around 20KM (or less), the week before I increased it to 37KM, and last week I ran 42KM in total. Then starting from this Tuesday suddenly I become listless, also feels like catching a cold, no energy at all. Anyway I stopped running since then. I was overexcited and totally forgot about 10% increment mileage week-to-week...  I learned a lesson...

😭😭

There's still plenty of time for you to recover, most importantly you didn't get injured, I hope. Get well soon and continue your regime :)

2 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

😤😤🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️💔💔

😭😭

I am running just twice per week. Once weekday and once weekend. I know I am not clocking enough mileage but if I increase the frequency, I will lose the energy and motivation to train. I think this is an individual thing. Just do according to your heart. Enjoy the process. Don’t over stress.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:29 AM, ZZIZZ said:

😤😤🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️💔💔

😭😭

It's also important to do most of your run at conversational pace. You shouldn't be gasping for air at the end of your run. 

On 9/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, starfinder said:

I am running just twice per week. Once weekday and once weekend. I know I am not clocking enough mileage but if I increase the frequency, I will lose the energy and motivation to train. I think this is an individual thing. Just do according to your heart. Enjoy the process. Don’t over stress.

Thank you for the suggestion. I stopped running on Tuesday, changed my plan from running 10km per day to sleeping 10hr per day. Yesterday even ran 5KM, felt a little bit tired, but today feels much better... 👌😊

59 minutes ago, ZZIZZ said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I stopped running on Tuesday, changed my plan from running 10km per day to sleeping 10hr per day. Yesterday even ran 5KM, felt a little bit tired, but today feels much better... 👌😊

💪🏻😎👍🏻

1 hour ago, ZZIZZ said:

I definitely can't run 10 km per day, as my interest will wear out fast. Also, I want to rest my legs as I got runner's knee. But fortunately we still have time to condition our bodies for the marathon.

19 hours ago, posfe2 said:

It's also important to do most of your run at conversational pace. You shouldn't be gasping for air at the end of your run. 

Yea,  recently I just paid extra attention to the HR and pace, avoid running too fast. It feels much better. The only thing is I suddenly increased mileage too much... 

5 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Yea,  recently I just paid extra attention to the HR and pace, avoid running too fast. It feels much better. The only thing is I suddenly increased mileage too much... 

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/training-for-your-first-marathon.html

The primary elements of marathon training are: 

1. Base mileage. Build your weekly mileage over time, running three-to-five times per week.
  2. The long run. Do a long run every 7–10 days so your body can adjust gradually to long distances.
  3. Speed work. Practice intervals and tempo runs to increase your cardio capacity.
  4. Rest and recovery. Adequate rest helps prevent injuries and mental burnout.

The 3 elements (1), (2) and (4) are important for the preparation for Full Marathon.

The 3rd element Speed Work is optional

Speed work is an optional element to incorporate into your training program. It can increase your aerobic capacity and make your easy runs feel… well, easy! Intervals and tempo runs are the most popular forms of speed work.

Here is another good one

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/guides/marathon-training/#home

All the best to your training 🙂

Hello everyone, wishing everyone well here.

Notice all have planned and prepared for the maiden evening SCSM 2019. Some shall be taking their first maiden FM also. 

Firstly, uncle shall skip this maiden evening run citing that the condition for this year run especially in terms of logistics (road closures in the evening), as well as it is just like another Sundown event.

Secondly, 2019 is unusually hot and humid, and from experience, whether you choose to run day Marathon or even night Marathon, there will be no difference in the outcome - you will have to face the sweaty, and energy-sapping running because of hot and humid condition. DNF is likely to be mental and psychological barriers that you must overcome - never give up because of the condition. 

Thirdly, compared to running in the day time (which the condition of heat stroke - simply because there is sun in the day time), then what will be likely situation in the evening - cramps. Night time running is running against having proper dinner and if those aspire to meet the more than 6 hours of endured running, energy depletion in the night is higher because you are supposed to have proper sleep in specific hours, even that means you must sleep at midnight. Everyone is used to Day time activities, unless some are used to work in night shifts, then running in the night should be more comfortable than those who have not adapted to "body" works at night.

Surely, uncle would expect preparation for mileage run to increase in the evening hours, and all the SOP of endurance and aerobic (speed work or HIIT) programs. Uncle has many times taken part in Sundown Ultra Runs, and had endured training program say 100km per week starting from 6pm ending well just before midnight or just after. 

What were the experiences? I would share to you, totally challenging. Your body only sleeps from 3am, and you will have to wake up at 10am, and then prepare the body mentally again for 6pm to midnight and after. Sounded uncle is running "night shift" right. Indeed, that is the training program for all Sundown aka SCSM (2019 and beyond).

Pain and cramps suffered with the evening runs are expected, because most of us are Day Shift workers (including bosses) who need to report to work in the morning. We do not have sufficient time to recover from the evening (progressive distance) as what we say, add more mileage as we progress to actual 42km for FM.

Let uncle add that "Rest and recovery. Adequate rest helps prevent injuries and mental burnout.". Actually for those who working in the day time, you need to have even More Adequate rest.

So, what would uncle suggest. "running three-to-five times per week" must be staggered to lesser, to have adequate time to recover from injury (pain is a sign that  inadequate time for recovery from lengthy evening runs).

Shortened runs, yes why 10km, when 8 km is comfortable for your current day life style. Pacing, yes, why quicken when you are already injured. Evening runs are running against breathing more oxygen like fresh morning day, instead, breathing with less oxygen in the evening is like as though you are running in high attitude condition (less oxygen)?

My suggestion to all, run what is comfortable pace, and yes, wait till the SCSM (2019) maiden evening run - uncle already told you, it is not a day run after all, then why are all following a SOP for day run? Hope this is not a bible for run for evening, because the environment is different, you are running with lesser oxygen.

If you want to run like day time with SOP, then run with oxygen tank for evening run, and you will be glad why you should run day marathon like what is supposed to be, marathon should start in early hours, because oxygen is abundant at that hours.

I wish you well. Take uncle's piece of BS experience of Sundown experiences as BS compare to Day Marathon.

How many of you actually run evening qualifying marathons overseas? Because it is never a standard day qualifying marathon race.

Only in SG, we have evening Marathons  - Sundown and now SCSM (2019).  Is there a day Marathon, then go overseas. lol.

Nice one Uncle. Just to add. For my first Sg marathon, I used the Runner's World plan:  https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a776459/marathon-training-plans/  For first timers, might like to do the sub-5 hour training plan: https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/marathon/a776634/16-week-free-marathon-training-plan-sub-5-00/  If you think you are faster than that, then choose one of the other plans. You should all be able to start your plan from week 5 or 6 at this point. Throw in some pilates / yoga. Stretching is something runners are really lazy about doing

On 9/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, Lady Ice said:

Throw in some pilates / yoga. Stretching is something runners are really lazy about doing

I'm guilty as charged.... For hard and track workout however, I will do at least a basic set of dynamic stretching and warm-up. For longer low intensity run, I'll let first couple KMs be my warm-up and gradually speed up to target pace.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, posfe2 said:

yes @ZZIZZ, and do include in easy runs as well which are stressful and relax runs that u just run for fun....

19 hours ago, okw said:

I'm guilty as charged.... For hard and track workout however, I will do at least a basic set of dynamic stretching and warm-up. For longer low intensity run, I'll let first couple KMs be my warm-up and gradually speed up to target pace.

Have been forcing myself to do stretches and for a bit more incentive have been trying different sessions on YouTube. 

3 hours ago, starfinder said:

With the haze reportedly may persist for several weeks, I worry this will affect especially those of us training for the FM.

Agree. And IM in its infinite wisdom or recklessness (depends on how you see it) is pushing HM participants to upgrade. 

19 hours ago, lonewolf said:

Agree. And IM in its infinite wisdom or recklessness (depends on how you see it) is pushing HM participants to upgrade. 

They need to hit FM finisher numbers as part of the requirement for WMM status.

6 hours ago, beast said:

They need to hit FM finisher numbers as part of the requirement for WMM status.

What would having WMM status mean for the average or below runners of Singapore? I see most of those major Marathons have qualifying time. Would it mean I can't run an Iaaf certified marathon in Singapore anymore?

13 hours ago, Ender said:

What would having WMM status mean for the average or below runners of Singapore? I see most of those major Marathons have qualifying time. Would it mean I can't run an Iaaf certified marathon in Singapore anymore?

I don't have an answer to that. You will have to ask IM how they want to position the Singapore WWM run to be. I would think they will likely follow Tokyo marathon where it is still a mass run for the average citizens with a generous 7 hour cut off time.  

20 hours ago, Ender said:

I guess one would value the WMM status the same way as we value the IAAF status, otherwise a marathon race is just a marathon race. If im not wrong general entry with qualification time is only Boston, the rest is general entry with ballot.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:45 PM, AutumnRunner said:

yes @ZZIZZ, and do include in easy runs as well which are stressful and relax runs that u just run for fun...

Thank you for your suggestion.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, Gusluk said:

I guess one would value the WMM status the same way as we value the IAAF status, otherwise a marathon race is just a marathon race. If im not wrong general entry with qualification time is only Boston, the rest is general entry with ballot.

I hope if SCSM does get to be one of the WMMs, organizers will at least allocate significant number for local runners without the need to ballot. For sure there will be more overseas runners, especially those chasing to be the 7 stars finishers.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, starfinder said:

With the haze reportedly may persist for several weeks, I worry this will affect especially those of us training for the FM.

So do I... 😥😭🤦‍♂️😤

Looks like in the past some days the AQI can be a slightly better in the morning or evening, is that because those farmers are off duty? Interestingly, this is NOT the first time the haze appears right before/during the weekend of f1 grand pix, what a coincidence.........😶