Sign in to follow this  
SG RED DEVIL

Chengdu Marathon announced as Abbott World Marathon Majors candidate race

Hmmmm..........

1. What is the difference between this and Singapore Ironman claiming that they want to get SCSM as a marathon major? is it this one already action and currently in the process of being evaluated by the committee, but Singapore one just NATO? 

2. I know age is not a critical factor, but given that the marathon has only been held 2 times, would it undermine the "brand"" of others majors who have a much longer history? 

3. Anyone ran this last year or the year before?

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 11:23 AM, beast said:

Hmmmm..........

1. What is the difference between this and Singapore Ironman claiming that they want to get SCSM as a marathon major? is it this one already action and currently in the process of being evaluated by the committee, but Singapore one just NATO? 

2. I know age is not a critical factor, but given that the marathon has only been held 2 times, would it undermine the "brand"" of others majors who have a much longer history? 

3. Anyone ran this last year or the year before?

Found some interesting answers to your query.

My initial thought was Ironman is bidding to join as part of major series (SCSM has been a candidate since 2017). Whereas Chengdu selection  was more on commercial interest. 

To answer both query 1 & 2, global runners CSI. Why was Chengdu 2 year old marathon chosen? Reason is that Wanda Chairman' Wang Jianlin's hometown . Best part is Ironman is owed by Wanda too as mentioned by global runners. 

Reply from Abbott as per below.

image.png.4552572c3686603ea096a43ec4bab773.png

Edited by SG RED DEVIL

Hmmm very interesting find that is linked back to Ironman.....

I think the Abbott World Marathon Series should leave the 6 world majors alone and create a new world majors series. The original world majors have a rich and deep history, and adding new ones with younger history will break the branding/image of this series. But I am guessing the committee doesn't really care about that, not when the request to be added is put forth by a group with large financial backing.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:24 AM, beast said:

Hmmm very interesting find that is linked back to Ironman.....

I think the Abbott World Marathon Series should leave the 6 world majors alone and create a new world majors series. The original world majors have a rich and deep history, and adding new ones with younger history will break the branding/image of this series. But I am guessing the committee doesn't really care about that, not when the request to be added is put forth by a group with large financial backing.

I fully agree with you on this to leave the 6 majors alone.

Like you mentioned another 6 comprises Singapore, China, Australia, Africa, Greece (Birth of Marathon) & South America?

The 6 major series itself isn't that old right? Less than 10 years? In my opinion if the standards really met, why not? It is up to them to control the branding.  

On 5/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, SG RED DEVIL said:

I fully agree with you on this to leave the 6 majors alone.

Like you mentioned another 6 comprises Singapore, China, Australia, Africa, Greece (Birth of Marathon) & South America?

Yes need to leave the 6 majors first

On 5/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, Arvin Tunas said:

The 6 major series itself isn't that old right? Less than 10 years? In my opinion if the standards really met, why not? It is up to them to control the branding.  

You are right. The World Marathon Series is created so that there is a championship element for World's most elite runners to partake in.  Makes it easier for gather these runners under these selected races so that competition between them can be more standardized and controlled, instead of different elite runners achieving results under varying conditions. 

It has nothing to do with the prestige of marathons in general, or the history of the chosen marathons etc. They are chosen most likely because of their well organization,  conditions that are accepted by many of the runners, and very likely some backstage politics as well.

As long as the committee is happy and they are able to control the branding, they can add as many of the marathons as they want. The elite runners can also have more runs they can choose from, and maybe focus on the ones they think they can do better in. For the casual runners that are chasing after the prestige of running in one of them, they can also have more choices now.