Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lonewolf

The Straits Times Run 2019 - 29 Sep (Sun)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, yh90 said:

Good weather and pbed in the 10k race.  But st run got delayed due to technical reasons, they said. 10k was flagged off at 710am. 

You have fast pace! Congrats for the strong finish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AutumnRunner said:

Finally done up my race review of ST Run 2019...for those who is still considering if this race should be in your 2020 race calendar, do read up and enjoy, everyone!

https://autumnrunner.wordpress.com/2019/09/29/race-review-strait-times-run-2019/

First of all. Kudos for getting the race review out so fast! :goodjob:

Quote

The emcees market has spread to a bigger pool of emcees for races and this is the 2nd time I saw the two ladies in the race as emcees. Pardon me for not getting their names

This is outrageous! How can you not know their name? :fish:

In fact, the lovely Kelly Latimer is the regular MC for this race. I think she has been doing it for many years now. (I need to go back and check my personal collection though). Her usual partner is Ross. 

69882951_1335257079959083_75465538587212

I  don't know who the other MC is but apparently, it is her sister.

Since you did not use the baggage deposit service, let me add on. As you can expect from a 'govt' linked company, they take their security seriously (the other races which also take security seriously are unsurprising AHM and SCSM). So before you are even allowed into the OCBC Arena (the same place for race pack collection) to deposit your bag, you are subject to a bag check. This inevitably resulted in a long queue (at least 50 people) waiting to get in. 

Thankfully, the security screen was relatively quick but the line to deposit the bag is another 20-30 deep. This reminds me of Race Pack Collection all over again. Queue to get in, queue again to collect your pack.  :growl:The whole process took about 10-15 mins. 

Quote

I was looking forward to massages as I saw booth from Tiger Balm but a pity that there isn’t any such service.

Got lah! The massage was in OCBC arena together with the baggage. The MC mentioned it at least twice at the Start Pen. I guess you were not paying attention. It is also in the race guide but I guess you probably never bother to read it too.  :fish:

I'm pretty sure you got the medal front and back incorrectly. The front of the medal is the one with the word. The back is the one with the figure. Pro tip: the ELM medal mark is usually etched on the back of the medal. 

Quote

There should still be a 8th year coming next year and for those runners still considering on this race in 2020

I can confidently confirm that there will be a 8th race next year as not only will it be Straits Times 175th Anniversary, they have already announced the designs for next year race medal. 

So will be back next year? This is one of my streak races so barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should be joining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice review. Just feedback on distance accuracy, you probably wont get better accuracy using gps.

Was going through strava flyby and look how consistently messy the gps is in the marina boulevard area.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, lonewolf said:

First of all. Kudos for getting the race review out so fast! :goodjob:

This is outrageous! How can you not know their name? :fish:

In fact, the lovely Kelly Latimer is the regular MC for this race. I think she has been doing it for many years now. (I need to go back and check my personal collection though). Her usual partner is Ross. 

69882951_1335257079959083_75465538587212

I  don't know who the other MC is but apparently, it is her sister.

Since you did not use the baggage deposit service, let me add on. As you can expect from a 'govt' linked company, they take their security seriously (the other races which also take security seriously are unsurprising AHM and SCSM). So before you are even allowed into the OCBC Arena (the same place for race pack collection) to deposit your bag, you are subject to a bag check. This inevitably resulted in a long queue (at least 50 people) waiting to get in. 

Thankfully, the security screen was relatively quick but the line to deposit the bag is another 20-30 deep. This reminds me of Race Pack Collection all over again. Queue to get in, queue again to collect your pack.  :growl:The whole process took about 10-15 mins. 

Got lah! The massage was in OCBC arena together with the baggage. The MC mentioned it at least twice at the Start Pen. I guess you were not paying attention. It is also in the race guide but I guess you probably never bother to read it too.  :fish:

I'm pretty sure you got the medal front and back incorrectly. The front of the medal is the one with the word. The back is the one with the figure. Pro tip: the ELM medal mark is usually etched on the back of the medal. 

I can confidently confirm that there will be a 8th race next year as not only will it be Straits Times 175th Anniversary, they have already announced the designs for next year race medal. 

So will be back next year? This is one of my streak races so barring any unforeseen circumstances, I should be joining. 

Thanks bro @lonewolffor the feedback... I really didn't know her name so its Kelly Latima... ok got it...

I totally miss out on the massage!! Oh no... last year I also missed it out... nvm there is always a next year ... 

Oppsss on the medal front and back... but it's ok la... 1st mistake after so many race reviews... haaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gouflook said:

Nice review. Just feedback on distance accuracy, you probably wont get better accuracy using gps.

Was going through strava flyby and look how consistently messy the gps is in the marina boulevard area.

 

 

 

Thanks @gouflook..  will continue to write more race reviews in future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No e-cert this year? :huh:

The race getting bigger every year but the result presentation  getting worse. :thumbsdown: 

Either the field or gender ranking is missing. Not sure what Net/Gun rank refers to but should be gender. 

Edited by lonewolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lonewolf said:

No e-cert this year? :huh:

The race getting bigger every year but the result presentation  getting worse. :thumbsdown: 

Either the field or gender ranking is missing. Not sure what Net/Gun rank refers to but should be gender. 

Agree that should be gender as I rem there are total of 4000 runners for 18.45km... but my ranking is based on total of 3300+ runners... so little female runners only? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, lonewolf said:

I can confidently confirm that there will be a 8th race next year as not only will it be Straits Times 175th Anniversary, they have already announced the designs for next year race medal. 

This announcement gives less motivation to join next year, since I missed this year

Edited by sicklycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sicklycat said:

This announcement gives less motivation to join next year, since I missed this year

Why would it be less motivating?

If you are after that combination design, you can buy off this year's finisher medal from Carousell and collect the other 2 yourself next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sicklycat said:

This announcement gives less motivation to join next year, since I missed this year

 

Actually I think the medal looks nice on its own. No need to collect for 3 years. Take a look at the OCBC Cycle one. Really one third of a complete medal. That is much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the medal looks alright on its own. It's unlikely that I would join the virtual race so I won't have the complete medal anyway.

For context, this is what the OCBC cycle medals looks like. Looks a bit like what Tri-Factor used to do with their medals. I think its looks fine even on its own. 

59645591_345791499466909_883092179650686

58468578_421448768639758_320498276206156

Image Credit: https://www.instagram.com/ashariffin01/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

Yes, ok, will still KIV for next year then.

@beast - I will not buy from Carousell. Medals need to be self-earned.

Edited by sicklycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sicklycat said:

I will not buy from Carousell. Medals need to be self-earned

Yes, I believe most if not all runners have this mentality. The medals are a reminder of the experiences we had when we went through the races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, starfinder said:

Yes, I believe most if not all runners have this mentality. The medals are a reminder of the experiences we had when we went through the races.

I would say that the proportion of runners feeling the same way may be decreasing over the years.

For the causal runners, I dun think it really matters. 

For the seasoned runners, it will get to a point when you have accumulated so many medals that it become less and less important too. Just look at the number of medals that get recycled every year during the Income Eco Run expo. As a medal collector, there have been times when I was tempted to reach in and help myself to some of the lovely medals especially the ELM medals. :bling:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, lonewolf said:

I would say that the proportion of runners feeling the same way may be decreasing over the years.

For the causal runners, I dun think it really matters. 

For the seasoned runners, it will get to a point when you have accumulated so many medals that it become less and less important too. Just look at the number of medals that get recycled every year during the Income Eco Run expo. As a medal collector, there have been times when I was tempted to reach in and help myself to some of the lovely medals especially the ELM medals. :bling:

 

There are a few medals i toss. dun like to hoard too much medals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 11:31 PM, sicklycat said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

Yes, ok, will still KIV for next year then.

@beast - I will not buy from Carousell. Medals need to be self-earned.

Usually I will not encourage buying medals from Carousell too.

But since my assessment of you is that you can complete a 18km easily, just that you missed this run for some reason, and also if your intention is to collect the medal as a set, you can consider buying it for collection purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 2:40 PM, beast said:

Usually I will not encourage buying medals from Carousell too.

But since my assessment of you is that you can complete a 18km easily, just that you missed this run for some reason, and also if your intention is to collect the medal as a set, you can consider buying it for collection purposes.

I see :)

I don't buy as a matter of principle.

And I'm also not a big fan of collecting medals - running out of storage space already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...