Josh Lee

Upper Thigh and Inner Thigh (Right), Lower Calf (Right) Fell pain

Hi all runners,
Need advise from you guys. Hope you guys can enlighten me for my injury. I am a new pie in running sport. I have been running quite regularly for the past few months for 3 to 4 times a week. Recently, I felt the discomfort on my Upper Tight, Inner Tight, especially on the groin area. My lower Calf Muscle also felt the discomfort and pain. There are pain but it still bearable. And it all on my right side. I also felt the discomfort and pain on my stomach on the right side. While doing my sit up after the run. When I press on the upper and inner tight area and the lower tight and calf muscle. I can felt the discomfort and pain. And it force me to take a break for the running....  :(

May I know am I experiencing Hamstring injuring or other type of problems? Have anyone got the same experience which I am going through... :( What can I do to make it heal faster? and resume my running activities... It very frustrating..... :( Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Don't worry about it...It is widely believed that the hamstrings undergo an eccentric muscle fiber action (they are lengthening while being activated) during the swing phase of high-speed running.

2924mmf.jpg

Hence, eccentric exercises can be incorporated into your running programs to prevent hamstring injuries and improve sports performance.

qnkxf5.jpg

Eccentric strengthening exercises are what you need, maybe a little too much running (and too fast) may also cause your hamstrings to work too hard (stretch and strain).

Have a balance, Strengthening (and Stretching) Exercises for Newbie Runners...

On 4/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, Josh Lee said:

Hi all runners,
Need advise from you guys. Hope you guys can enlighten me for my injury. I am a new pie in running sport. I have been running quite regularly for the past few months for 3 to 4 times a week. Recently, I felt the discomfort on my Upper Tight, Inner Tight, especially on the groin area. My lower Calf Muscle also felt the discomfort and pain. There are pain but it still bearable. And it all on my right side. I also felt the discomfort and pain on my stomach on the right side. While doing my sit up after the run. When I press on the upper and inner tight area and the lower tight and calf muscle. I can felt the discomfort and pain. And it force me to take a break for the running....  :(

May I know am I experiencing Hamstring injuring or other type of problems? Have anyone got the same experience which I am going through... :( What can I do to make it heal faster? and resume my running activities... It very frustrating..... :( Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Hello, 

I am a chiropractor and I thought I'll share my two cents with you. 

1) If you are new to running regularly 3-4x/week for the past few months, it might be a case of inadequate load management i.e. too much too soon. Without more details, it's hard to comment. The general rule of thumb is your current week mileage shouldn't be 60% more than the average of the past four four weeks. 

2) There's no mention of if you currently do other workout or if you were physically active before you started running. If you don't do any form of cross training, it might be good time to start. 100% recommend strength training. It reduces your risk of injury by almost 70%. 

3) If you are not sure of what to do, the best thing is seek professional advice. If you are reading advice off forums and the internet, we highly suggest that you do a thorough fact checking :) Lots of information being shared online are not evidence-based! 

We did blog a while ago on how to prevent running injuries and also nine running truths every runner should know. We included references in our blog for easier fact checking. 

If you need more help, reach out to us directly.