Sign in to follow this  
bookie

HAHAHA Safra Singapore Bay Run and Army Half Marathon NO MORE

1 hour ago, bookie said:

CANCEL

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/safra-singapore-bay-run-and-army-half-marathon-called-off-this-year-singapore-army

The cancellation of the Safra Singapore Bay Run and Army Half Marathon comes after the SAF announced an unprecedented lowering of training tempo across all services on Jan 24, 2019.The cancellation of the Safra Singapore Bay Run and Army Half Marathon comes after the SAF announced an unprecedented lowering of training tempo across all services on Jan 24, 2019. ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

I rather they scrap whatever bicentennial celebrations instead :(

10 minutes ago, stalky79 said:

I rather they scrap whatever bicentennial celebrations instead :(

Fully agreed with you. What a let down...

Hopefully they reinstate the event next year. 

Posted (edited)

The races in 2019 are really sparse... 😤

Edited by ZZIZZ

18 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Fully agreed with you. What a let down...

Hopefully they reinstate the event next year. 

Very sure they will be back next year, having already branded as one of the biggest local runs.

I don't see a lot of things being planned for bicentennial celebrations compared to SG50, so maybe they just want to lie low for a year due to the recent servicemen deaths. The last thing they want is another servicemen die during the run.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, beast said:

Very sure they will be back next year, having already branded as one of the biggest local runs.

Don't pin your hopes too high.

"SAFRA and the Army will review if SSBR & AHM will be reinstated subsequently," added the Army. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/safra-singapore-bay-run-and-army-half-marathon-2019-cancelled-11327778

Edited by K!m

21 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

The races in 2019 are really sparse... 😤

Still not so bad i believe. You might want to consider trail races. Maybe for the month of Aug & Nov that everyone is facing the same issue no race event.

3 hours ago, SG RED DEVIL said:

Still not so bad i believe. You might want to consider trail races. Maybe for the month of Aug & Nov that everyone is facing the same issue no race event.

Last year we had King of the trails, but looks like this year no more, anyway I believe that MGIS AA50 still hold... Not sure whether still got ASICS Relay run; or whether Mizuno Ekiden will come back... Maybe it's time to try race overseas.. 🤪

Very disappointed as this is one of only 3 runs I participate yearly in recent years.

Expensive runs like 2XU Compression run continue, affordable runs like Safra AHM are cancelled....

If all remembered that RSN used to organised annual biathlon until one of the navy man passed away along with big news headline then they also cancelled it due to "re-look" at training pace. 

No surprised but may have to say good bye to this hotdog run which is super cheap.... 

21 hours ago, K!m said:

Don't pin your hopes too high.

"SAFRA and the Army will review if SSBR & AHM will be reinstated subsequently," added the Army. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/safra-singapore-bay-run-and-army-half-marathon-2019-cancelled-11327778

Oh damn... I missed that.... now I am more inclined that they will cancel it completely...

Agree with one of the suggestions to outsource the run to an events company like Pink Apple to continue with it instead of cancelling it completely... the run has one of the richest history so it will be a pity to end it....of course continue to provide cheaper rates for NSmen to encourage it as a run they can join with their buddies...

I thought it is already partially outsourced?  I recall the race pack collection was done by outsourced vendor. 

Maybe their concern is not manpower nor money to organize and subsidize the run. They have to review whether safe for NSFs, and if not compulsory for units to take part, can it still be called AHM/safra run?   

3 minutes ago, wonderfulblevic said:

I thought it is already partially outsourced?  I recall the race pack collection was done by outsourced vendor. 

Maybe their concern is not manpower nor money to organize and subsidize the run. They have to review whether safe for NSFs, and if not compulsory for units to take part, can it still be called AHM/safra run?   

If that is their only concern (safety for servicemen), I don't think they need cancel it and even say that they will review if they want to bring it back in the subsequent years. The run always have a high sign up rates with the subsidized rates, so even if they remove the servicemen the numbers for the run will still be decent. Or they can make it more family oriented for servicemen by just offering 10km and kids run. There are many other options to consider than to cancel it, but they choose to make this decision half a year ahead, which means they really want to take it away for good. 

Let's just hope they really just want to lay low for a year, from all the deaths in the media, and also from the questioning in Parliament from WP if it is necessary to use army manpower to organize it. 

21 hours ago, ZZIZZ said:

Last year we had King of the trails, but looks like this year no more, anyway I believe that MGIS AA50 still hold... Not sure whether still got ASICS Relay run; or whether Mizuno Ekiden will come back... Maybe it's time to try race overseas.. 🤪

Some of these runs quoted not confirmed yet.

I also wondering what run to join in 2019. Also don't want to sign up the expensive runs. Sigh.......... 😥

I feel safer to run in AHM compared to the other runs. 

1 hour ago, K!m said:

with all the medics, safety rovers, etc around.... I agree...

14 hours ago, K!m said:

In my opinion, the only shortcoming of AHM is many many walkers (particularly young men) walking on the road and blocking runners, we have to zip-zap.....😤😓

On 3/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, AutumnRunner said:

with all the medics, safety rovers, etc around.... I agree...

I think he is referring to the tighter security bag checks...

On 3/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, beast said:

oh, I see... indeed its not usual as many race organisers rather place the budget on other sections of the race...

Cancelling it for good seems rather drastic.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, beast said:

I'm not referring to the tighter security bag checks. 😆

13 hours ago, K!m said:

I'm not referring to the tighter security bag checks. 😆

Oh... then why do you feel "safer" to run in AHM compared to the other runs? 

1 hour ago, beast said:

Oh... then why do you feel "safer" to run in AHM compared to the other runs? 

With the many medics, medical officers and safety rovers. I feel safer if I am unwell during the run. 

23 hours ago, g18 said:

Cancelling it for good seems rather drastic.

The higher up already got too many failings to answer to (MRT, Army). They definitely cannot afford another fatality especially one organised by the army. After all, there are not short of half marathon running events in Singapore, of course all are expensive if compare to AHM.